Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone associated with C7 design working on C8?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
I totally get that the ZR1 design enhancements are dictated by performance considerations. Like all things Corvette, it's a great engineering achievement. Almost unbelievable it's so good.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the C7 is the best looking Vette--by far--since the early C3s. BY FAR.

But the ZR1 looks like a C7 that got whupped with an ugly stick.
That's where it gets interesting. The ZR1 is essentially a C7 Stingray with a lot of mods to fit on stuff to go faster - up to 212 mph.

The stylists then worked the add-ones to make it look "bad-a$$", and indeed it does, but it's not pretty anymore. Example - the rear wing - it could uave been a constant chord straight wing, but the stylists had to make it a cross between a boomerang and the head of a hammerhead shark. As an aerodynamicist by profession, I think it just looks goofy, but I'm an Occam's Razor kind of guy. The thing is, if they just wanted to make a C7 go faster around a track, they already had a race-proven example, the C7.R. It's a much better looking car than a ZR1. All they had to do was make it DOT-compliant, (i.e. reduce wing span, etc.). Everyone would have liked it and understood WHY the changes were made to it.
The following users liked this post:
IronV (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Iconic rears

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The C5 rear is distinctive and iconic...the C7 rear is distinctive...but much in the same way the Aztec is.
The C5's rear is "iconic" in exactly the same way as, oh, say, Tommy Lasorda's.
jimmyb (05-09-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:21 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Poor C5.....The Ferrari Testarossa got away with it. That is a big azz!!!! Awesome GT, though!
Old 05-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Just based on the renderings, I think the C8 will look much better than the C7.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Judge the C7 on the original (clean) design, not on all the permutations that followed.
I was at a dealer a few weeks ago looking at their C7 inventory. I definitely prefer the looks of the stingray to the GS or Z06.

There are a lot of aspects I like about the C5 over the C7. The hood and quarter panels are lower. I like the roundness of it compared to all the sharp edges and creases on the C7. But I still want to upgrade to a C7 for the performance. Would prefer a C8 to a C7 but it's out of my price range for a while.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:39 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
I was at a dealer a few weeks ago looking at their C7 inventory. I definitely prefer the looks of the stingray to the GS or Z06.

There are a lot of aspects I like about the C5 over the C7. The hood and quarter panels are lower. I like the roundness of it compared to all the sharp edges and creases on the C7. But I still want to upgrade to a C7 for the performance. Would prefer a C8 to a C7 but it's out of my price range for a while.

Same here. I think the C5 has one of the best looking bodies of any Corvette, especially looking from the rear quarter forward. I might prefer the front end of the C6 slightly. But I bought and would buy again the C7 for the performance and pure fun. I still like the appearance of the C7, but would agree with you, the clean, smooth lines of the C5 are hard to beat.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:02 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56

Same here. I think the C5 has one of the best looking bodies of any Corvette, especially looking from the rear quarter forward. I might prefer the front end of the C6 slightly. But I bought and would buy again the C7 for the performance and pure fun. I still like the appearance of the C7, but would agree with you, the clean, smooth lines of the C5 are hard to beat.
I traded my C5 off 10 years ago. When I see one on the street now, it still gets my admiration. GM did right with the C5's styling.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:40 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default C5 Design

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I traded my C5 off 10 years ago. When I see one on the street now, it still gets my admiration. GM did right with the C5's styling.
The C5 was a note for note copy of the contemporary RX-7. Hardly the pinnacle of Corvette design. IMHO.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:50 AM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

I'm a fairly young guy and I hope to see a more sophisticated look with the C8, as compared to the ZR-1 and Z06. I think it would be worthwhile to bring some new designers in to aid the process that are going to come at it from a different angle. There are too many pars of those vehicles that appear to be aftermarket accessories.

Still mostly good looking cars, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
The following 3 users liked this post by K-TownMike:
Flex182 (05-28-2018), JoesC5 (05-15-2018), Shaka (05-15-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:34 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^^^

I agree. The best looking C7, IMO, is the BASE car. No spoiler, just a nice, clean, modern design. I did NOT get Z51 BECAUSE of the tacked on rear spoiler (Z51 was only $2,800 extra when I ordered my car in August 2013 so it sure wasn't the money). I even asked if they would build me a mag ride Z51 and leave the rear spoiler off. Obviously, that answer was NO.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-18-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
The C5 was a note for note copy of the contemporary RX-7. Hardly the pinnacle of Corvette design. IMHO.
I remember being a bit disappointed when the C5 came out, but "note for note" is a bit strong. The front and rear are much different (I tend to prefer the purposeful Vette look, which has grown on me over the decades) as is the roofline.

Plus, available evidence suggests it was much more of a coincidence than a copy. You are surely aware of the clearly influential Vette design studies, starting with 1986's Corvette Indy, then the 1990 CERV III, followed by Peters' "red car" and Cafaro's "black car," which all predate the release of the 3rd Gen RX-7.

Perhaps the Mazda designers, who were not afraid to channel Porsche themes into their first 2 RX-7's, were more influenced by what the Vette design team had been floating...

Let's hope the current crew gets the Zora right at they did with the C5 -- classy, Vette through and through -- but not gaudy, over-wrought, or "trendy."
FrankLP (05-26-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:18 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Just keep in mind that the ZR1 is an over the top car with over the top performance. Much of the things that some are objecting to are things you want the car to have at 200+ mph.

I suspect that the next Corvette will look pretty nice, like every other Corvette produced (given what was happening at the time)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:23 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Much of the things that some are objecting to are things you want the car to have at 200+ mph.
Veyron doesn't seem to need such things and does well over 230 MPH.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

what do you think,they fired everybody and got new people?,most of the engineers work 20-30 years on the cars,so they work on 100+ new/different cars/trucks

and some engineers will work on 5 different cars/trucks at 1 time
Old 05-20-2018, 03:21 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Veyron doesn't seem to need such things and does well over 230 MPH.
Veyron is a completely different platform. But, yeah, it has a wing, and inlets in the front etc. Packaged a little differently of course.

https://www.autoevolution.com/cars/b...05.html#agal_2

In 2005 it ran a 7:40 on the ring. Considering the Camaro Zl1-1LE ran a 7:16 on it this year, I suspect the Veyron could use a little more of the ZR1 stuff, perhaps.

But, if we're talking about straight line speed, I digress.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 05-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:36 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default GM lost their way with current Z06 and ZR1

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
I'm a fairly young guy and I hope to see a more sophisticated look with the C8, as compared to the ZR-1 and Z06. I think it would be worthwhile to bring some new designers in to aid the process that are going to come at it from a different angle. There are too many pars of those vehicles that appear to be aftermarket accessories.

Still mostly good looking cars, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
I understand the ZR1 had to address cooling problems, so some slack is in order for airflow. But it's hard to account for the tacked-on look of the other ground/airflow instruments. The C6 ZO6 was a muscular looking car and an improvement over the base model aesthetics wise.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The C7 design team is the ME design team, with the exception of the GM Chief of Global Design Ed Welburn who resigned last June, and who was replaced by Michael Simcoe.

The person who initially sketched the C7, Hwasup Lee, who developed the sketch that became the C7, is working on the ME, as is Kirk Bennion (Chief Designed, Tom Peters (Director of Exterior Design for High Performance Vehicles), and many more.

Essentially, the C7 team is with that one exception, the ME design team.
I greatly appreciate you comments and insight with what is going with Corvettes. So I have a unique question for you. Have you ever seen a picture/sketch of the original C7 ME design that was under development before bankruptcy? I am curious if it looks the same as the C8 or did it look very different than the C8(starting the C8 styling/design over from scratch), or are there some styling/design aspects that carried over and some that did not?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone associated with C7 design working on C8?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:58 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I never saw the pre-C7 ME design sketches. Anyone have them?

The only older sketch I have is when “Americana” interviewed Ed Welburn in the GM Design Studio in 2015, and was at that moment talking with Christine Park. Notice what is in the upper right background? Perhaps this was one of the early design sketches (though with all us knowing that early sketches are often exaggerated “idea forms” which later get toned down and/or outright changed as they evolve into production versions).

We have heard, similar to the hood on that sketch, that the ME at least in its HP version, will have multiple hood ducts, so???
Attached Images  

Last edited by elegant; 05-21-2018 at 05:07 PM.
RedDropTop (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:50 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Just found this which Don Sherman of Car and Driver says was a 2006-2008 GM Engineering proposal for a future mid engine Corvette. However, as noted in the below article, the rendering was not done by GM, but by C&D’s artist.

Originally Posted by Car & Driver
2006–2008 C7 Engineering Proposal
Instead of adopting a mid-engine layout for the sixth-generation Corvette, introduced in 2005, engineers focused on enhancing performance with better handling and additional power. The Z06 version packed 505 horses into a 7.0-liter small-block. Topping the 6.2-liter V-8 with a supercharger yielded the 638-hp ZR1. A cost-effective Grand Sport brought comprehensive suspension and brake upgrades.

These achievements did not hinder assistant chief engineer Tadge Juechter from championing the move to mid-engine just like his predecessors. GM designers played along with a full-size clay and more than a dozen scale-model alternatives. (The image here was created by C/D’s own Cory Wolfe, not GM.) Tom Wallace, Juechter’s boss and an inveterate road racer, was an easy sell. GM product chief Bob Lutz was initially skeptical but became convinced by the Juechter-Wallace tag team. The three mid-engine musketeers then won over chairman Rick Wagoner.

Unfortunately, GM was bleeding cash, and it slipped into bankruptcy when the Great Recession hit in 2009. The mid-engined Corvette—along with every dollar aimed at developing any new sports car—left the building with Wagoner. When the feds arrived to revive GM, an early discovery was the fat profits associated with selling 30,000 or so Corvettes per year. Work on the seventh generation quickly resumed, but the time was not right to risk the mid-engine move.

Fortunately, C7 has helped GM thrive, and the planets have finally swung into alignment. Just as Road & Track did in 1970, we’ll stake our reputation on the mid-engined C8 Corvette arriving before the end of next year
https://www.caranddriver.com/flipboo...et-corvette#11
Attached Images  
RedDropTop (05-21-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

That rendering looks good,the girl in the previous post,
looks even better.

Quick Reply: Anyone associated with C7 design working on C8?