Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Default For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Since the ME is reportedly only being produced with a DCT, will you transition to the dark side or content yourself with C7 (or older) technology in order to have your manual gearbox?

This has been a question I have been pondering since the speculation began over the DCT. Every sports car I have ever owned has had manual gearboxes and this is part of the fun of driving a sports car IMO. While I’ve never driven a DCT, I understand this represents the current state of the art; it’s still an automatic transmission.

Since the release is projected to be less than a year away, I've decided to sit on the sidelines WRT my next car purchase to see what GM does. If the ME comes out with a manual gearbox, I’m in, but if it comes out with a DCT as the only option as speculated, I’m going to take fun over function and probably buy a late model used C7/M7.

What will you do?

Last edited by LightningBolt; 01-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Racerdj (02-02-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

A manual transmission is slower, but it allows the driver to commune with the car in a more intimate way.

So, if all you care about is speed, a DCT is just fine.
If, on the other hand, you care about the experience, maybe not so much.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:56 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Of the 32 Corvettes I have owned, 29 have been manuals. I like to shift. However, I am all in on the mid engine, even if a manual isn't offered. It's going to be such a revolutionary, exciting car, I'm sure I'll be very happy either way.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

GM sells 7000 manual transmission corvettes each year.

You can be sure with that kind of volume of 7000 manual transmission corvette units a year that the c8 will also offer a manual.

I'm buying a dct if it's offered.

I'm in the mood after forty years of driving manual sportscars for a dct corvette.

If I get bored I can always sell it easy enough.

I don't hear Ferrari, Lamborghini or Porsche drivers being bored with the dct.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:36 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Originally Posted by JerriVette
GM sells 7000 manual transmission corvettes each year.

You can be sure with that kind of volume of 7000 manual transmission corvette units a year that the c8 will also offer a manual.
I disagree. Manuals have historically represented ~25% of the overall production. GM wants to reduce production costs by producing a single drive train. If they offer a technically superior transmission as in the DCT I'm sure their marketing weenies have convinced GM management that the manual guys that don't switch will be more than replaced by new buyers into the market.

I guess I'm just too much of an old dog. I just can't bring myself to but an automatic sports car. I like chrome rims best too!

Last edited by LightningBolt; 01-30-2018 at 01:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by LightningBolt:
Drive-C7 (02-01-2018), JerriVette (01-30-2018), Racerdj (02-02-2018), SyberSaint (03-19-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:06 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Think of it not from percentage but rather units and it would be foolish of the corvette team to give up 7000 sales.

I believe it's almost twice the units Nissan sold of the 370z sold last year both automatic and manual transmission.

Porsche Boxster and cayman manual and pdk transmission models probably sold less than 7000 units last year in the USA..

I believe we will have both a manual and a dct transmission for the c8.

I've been driving manuals for forty years...my present corvette is a m6 ..I'll definitely buy the dct c8 without question...

Change is good.

7000 units is more than Mazda and fiat sell of their two seat sports cars in both manual and automatic form...

Corvette manual sales at 23 percent last year primarily how the dealers order the cars for inventory...dealers only care how fast they can turn the metal..

Automatics can be sold to anyone..

I'd suggest about 25 percent of corvettes last year were owner ordered ahead of time and the person waited 7 weeks for delivery.

I usually do that...but most Americans get the bug...roll into a dealer and drive off the lot..

Flappy paddles allow saleman to sell it as a sort of manual car to most newbie buyers...

Hence why 75 percent corvettes sold last year were automatics...

I believe the end of the c8 will be the end of manual transmission corvettes...because once GM spends the millions to certify the manual transmission c8....the manual will stick around for as long as that generation exists...

The death of the manual transmission corvette is over exaggerated...we've got another 7 years of manual corvettes..

That said..I'll switch to a dct on my next corvette...

I want the performance and consistency ...with the direct driver feel of a dct over a torque converter transmission that tends to be less connected compared to a manual clutch car..
Old 01-30-2018, 02:37 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

The mid-engine car will be paddle shift only, I base that on what is not seen in the CAD pictures..

This is a Lamborghini Huracan, they are DCT only.

And this is the mid-engine Corvette.

Look at the top of their central tunnels, and what they're both missing. Neither have a hole, or any sort of provisions for a shift lever mounted between the seats.
ZishanM (04-26-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 02:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

It certainly appears the ME will have a DCT. Both of my current Corvettes, a C6 Lingenfelter ZR1 and a C7 Callaway Z06 are manual trans. I'll be keeping both of those, and the ME will be an add, not a substitution, so in light of that, I'm fine with giving a DCT a go in the ME.

I just hope the new DCT unit is robust, reliable and doesn't need new clutches every 10k miles.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Both of my current Corvettes, a C6 Lingenfelter ZR1 and a C7 Callaway Z06 are manual trans. I'll be keeping both of those
Isn't that kind of like saying "I'll keep my trophy wife and her gorgeous sister?"
SyberSaint (02-02-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Think of it not from percentage but rather units and it would be foolish of the corvette team to give up 7000 sales.

I believe it's almost twice the units Nissan sold of the 370z sold last year both automatic and manual transmission.

Porsche Boxster and cayman manual and pdk transmission models probably sold less than 7000 units last year in the USA..

I believe we will have both a manual and a dct transmission for the c8.

I've been driving manuals for forty years...my present corvette is a m6 ..I'll definitely buy the dct c8 without question...

Change is good.

7000 units is more than Mazda and fiat sell of their two seat sports cars in both manual and automatic form...

Corvette manual sales at 23 percent last year primarily how the dealers order the cars for inventory...dealers only care how fast they can turn the metal..

Automatics can be sold to anyone..

I'd suggest about 25 percent of corvettes last year were owner ordered ahead of time and the person waited 7 weeks for delivery.

I usually do that...but most Americans get the bug...roll into a dealer and drive off the lot..

Flappy paddles allow saleman to sell it as a sort of manual car to most newbie buyers...

Hence why 75 percent corvettes sold last year were automatics...

I believe the end of the c8 will be the end of manual transmission corvettes...because once GM spends the millions to certify the manual transmission c8....the manual will stick around for as long as that generation exists...

The death of the manual transmission corvette is over exaggerated...we've got another 7 years of manual corvettes..

That said..I'll switch to a dct on my next corvette...

I want the performance and consistency ...with the direct driver feel of a dct over a torque converter transmission that tends to be less connected compared to a manual clutch car..
I think it's always interesting to look at the FIRST year of a new generation, before cars are stacked up in inventory on dealer lots. The first year is more actual customer (SOLD) units rather than dealer ORDERED (floor inventory) cars. First year of the C7 (2014) was 65% automatic/35% manual, just for everyone's info.

Last edited by jimmyb; 01-30-2018 at 03:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
drs (01-31-2018), JerriVette (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I have thought about it quite a bit actually.

If the C8 is only an Auto (DCT, whatever) trans, I will be shopping for a used C7GS, possibly a Viper GTS, or most likely some sort of Porsche.

I know that GM doesn't care what I do in this regard, but sports cars aren't really much fun on the street without needing to manually shift them, imo.

I do have my C6 for sale but it's a car for the right buyer for sure and won't sell overnight. My pricing will be adjusted as I set my eyes on a better package for my needs.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 01-30-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Shaka (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 05:21 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningBolt
Isn't that kind of like saying "I'll keep my trophy wife and her gorgeous sister?"
Well, with superposed shotguns, sports cars and women, when you get your hands on a truly great one - you keep 'em.

firstvettesoon (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Since the ME is reportedly only being produced with a DCT, will you transition to the dark side or content yourself with C7 (or older) technology in order to have your manual gearbox?

This has been a question I have been pondering since the speculation began over the DCT. Every sports car I have ever owned has had manual gearboxes and this is part of the fun of driving a sports car IMO. While I’ve never driven a DCT, I understand this represents the current state of the art; it’s still an automatic transmission.

Since the release is projected to be less than a year away, I've decided to sit on the sidelines WRT my next car purchase to see what GM does. If the ME comes out with a manual gearbox, I’m in, but if it comes out with a DCT as the only option as speculated, I’m going to take fun over function and probably buy a late model used C7/M7.

What will you do?
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
A manual transmission is slower, but it allows the driver to commune with the car in a more intimate way.

So, if all you care about is speed, a DCT is just fine.
If, on the other hand, you care about the experience, maybe not so much.
When in performance mode the only difference between a manual transmission and a DCT is the pumping on the clutch. You still have a direct drive transmission and a gear selector just like any other manual transmission. I don't particularly get any jollies from pumping on a clutch pedal. I could better use the left foot for left foot braking. I am not good enough with the throttle to reliably shift a manual transmission without a clutch so it would be very nice to get rid of the clutch pedal.

I suspect once the car is on the market and everybody finds how much better handling the car is they will jump on the band wagon and buy a DCT. A lot of the unusual shift problems that were encountered with DCTs during street usage have been over come.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-30-2018 at 07:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JerriVette (01-30-2018), PRE-Z06 (04-23-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

What will you do?
No stick and I'd likely buy one of the special edition mustangs. I daily drive my vette and would feel like I'm driving a sedan if it didn't have a stick.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When in performance mode the only difference between a manual transmission and a DCT is the pumping on the clutch. You still have a direct drive transmission and a gear selector just like any other manual transmission. I don't particularly get any jollies from pumping on a clutch pedal. I could better use the left foot for left foot braking. I am not good enough with the throttle to reliably shift a manual transmission without a clutch so it would be very nice to get rid of the clutch pedal.

I suspect once the car is on the market and everybody finds how much better handling the car is they will jump on the band wagon and buy a DCT. A lot of the unusual shift problems that were encountered with DCTs during street usage have been over come.

Bill
My wife had an Audi with a DSG. The driving experience is just like an automatic, nothing at all like a manual. Straight up boring IMO.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Sorry, that's just utterly ridiculous. Good for you that you want to be a cheerleader for an automatic transmission, but don't go around insulting people's intelligence with this stuff.

If it's just pumping a clutch pedal, then go ahead and stick a DCT driver into a manual gearbox car and see how far they get without stalling. Or see how great they are at shifting quickly. Or smoothly.

Give me a break with this nonsense.
The following 4 users liked this post by Speednet:
bgspot (02-03-2018), Corgidog1 (04-22-2018), JustinStrife (03-15-2018), Shaka (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

If it's DCT only I won't be an early adopter. Been racing these cars for years and understand all the benefits of a DCT, but prefer a manual for street and track.

The CAD showing no provision for a shifter isn't promising. If they were going to have both they'd have one tunnel with the opening and a close-out panel for the DCT.

All said, look at the current GT3 Porsche. They brought back the manual and had a > 30% take rate which greatly exceeded expectations.
Shaka (01-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To For the Manual Transmission Drivers...

Old 01-30-2018, 09:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Friends are saying rear engine means a cable shifter. No need for a hole in the tunnel.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Not quite sure why people think GM would ever end a manual transmission option when over 7000 manual transmission corvettes are sold each year..

Ferrari did not give up offering manual transmissions on its cars until the last year when single digit manual transmission vehicles were sold in a single year.

As Jimmy stated in the first year of the c7 when more corvettes were ordered 35 percent of all corvettes sold that year were manuals.

Even when dealers order up most inventory without placed customer orders in the same degree as the launch year. GM still sold 7000 manual corvettes this past year.

That's more manual transmission models than Ferrari sells totally in the USA..

Porsche sells very few manual boxsters yet it still offers both a pdk and a manual transmission in the United States...

If Porsche can offer both a manual and a pdk where is the corporate press release that says GM is not offering a manual transmission in the c8?

Please direct us to that link so we can examine the information...

Or is this no manual transmission just a trolling effect to get forum members upset?

When was the last year a corvette was sold in amErica without a manual transmission option being available?

Don't be upset about something you don't even have a shred of evidence or even logical thought that the c8 will be dct only..

A manual gearbox will be slightly slower but it will be offered...for enthusiasts..

I'm with Bill Dearborn on the idea of having a dct...

That's how I'll order my c8 or maybe I'll just take up dealer inventory if I can get it in torch red! With a black interior...
Old 01-31-2018, 08:11 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Count me in for a ME w/DCT Corvette.
JerriVette (01-31-2018)

Quick Reply: For the Manual Transmission Drivers...