Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GM Hurting C7 Sales By Not Saying What The M/E Car Really Is?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDropTop
Later someone asked a question about the various transmissions in the current C7. After Harlan gave his comments, he asked the question, "How many of you want a dual clutch?" Of the 40 people in attendance, 2 people raised their hand. Harlan said, "Two people. Hmmm..." Take from that what you will.
It's important to remember this forum does NOT represent the majority view on all things Corvette.
We are just a very small slice of Corvettedom.
Heck, according to this site the majority of owners track their cars (at least occasionally) and everything performance is measured in track numbers.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you RedDropTop. I am imagining the conversation, and the tone of Harlan’s voice (with his broad smile). And the Corvette team, unfazed, will proceed and give us only one ME trans.

HELLO, DCT, welcome to the Corvette family!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDropTop
Also... someone in the audience asked Harlan, "Can you confirm or deny the existence of a mid-engine Corvette?" Harlan said, "No." Laughter. Then he added, "I cannot comment on future products. But the future looks very bright." Take from that what you will.

Later someone asked a question about the various transmissions in the current C7. After Harlan gave his comments, he asked the question, "How many of you want a dual clutch?" Of the 40 people in attendance, 2 people raised their hand. Harlan said, "Two people. Hmmm..." Take from that what you will.
Probably 38 out that 40 don't know the difference between a DCT and a Hydramatic. Probably think a DCT is a manual transmission with two clutch pedals to push to shift gears. One pedal to push for 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th gear and the other pedal to push for 2nd, 4th and 6th gears.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-24-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Thank you RedDropTop. I am imagining the conversation, and the tone of Harlan’s voice (with his broad smile). And the Corvette team, unfazed, will proceed and give us only one ME trans.

HELLO, DCT, welcome to the Corvette family!
Neither of us were there but I sure read that commentary differently. Low interest, then basically an acknowledgment of that reality is what I heard.

But maybe there was just disappointment because it's already engineered in and coming and like 5% in that audience showed any interest?

But for an auto I do think the C8 needs a DCT.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Probably 38 out that 40 don't know the difference between a DCT and a Hydramatic. Probably think a DCT is a manual transmission with two clutch pedals to push to shift gears. One pedal to push for 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th gear and the other pedal to push for 2nd, 4th and 6th gears.
Doesn't have 2 clutch pedals? You gotta be kidding. There's no way I'd buy one now.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I am imagining the conversation, and the tone of Harlan’s voice (with his broad smile). And the Corvette team, unfazed, will proceed and give us only one ME trans.
You are spot on, Elegant. Harlan delivered it with his trademark broad smile and whisk of his hair out of his face.

He was probably thinking, "Well, unfortunately, 38 of you people are going to be very disappointed!" (Or maybe he wasn't. I have no idea.)

What I found interesting is that Harlan brought up the subject of dual clutch himself. The discussion that had just concluded was regarding the number of gears in the manual and automatic transmissions of existing Corvettes.

Quick Reply: Is GM Hurting C7 Sales By Not Saying What The M/E Car Really Is?