Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ME In The Wild Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Didn't GM use a brand new engine in a brand new car, called the C5? Except for a few fasteners and some internal parts of the A4, I believe the C5 car was all new, and the LS1 was surely all new.
Correct. The C5 was the first all new Corvette ever in history. Even the 1953 used more carry over parts from different models. C5 was truly a clean sheet of paper.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:47 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
Correct. The C5 was the first all new Corvette ever in history. Even the 1953 used more carry over parts from different models. C5 was truly a clean sheet of paper.
I expect the C8 Stingray to be 96% new, 4% LT1. The Z06 should be 100% new compared to the C7. The number of parts should decrease thanks to that new 3D printing and parts simulation technology.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
The new car and driver report says that it will use a 5.5L FPC, not a 6.2L FPC.

I'd be equally surprised at at 5.5l fpc. There is a reason you don't see larger displacement fpc engines above 5.0l or so, and that's because they shake themselves to pieces.

Even Ford with its 5.2l (which is quite large for a fpc engine), and its customers are seeing those shake themselves apart.

If GM does a fpc engine, I'd expect it to be in the size range more commonly found for those architectures - i.e. something in the 4.x liter range. And an engine that size would need to be FI (TT, for example) to make decent power with today's tailpipe limits.

Last edited by OnPoint; 05-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:49 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

What exactly is happening to the Flat Plane Crank engines in the Fords? Or is it the chassis' that are having problems?

I understand those motors are just a blast to drive, however, these are still street cars and reliability is really important.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:03 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Quinten you make a really good point. However, where we might disagree is on the percentage of new parts. While we agree that the ME will have zero carryover exterior parts, one of the ways that its price point will delightfully surprise, is that many “hidden/inside parts” will be carried over, and not just talking about engine bolts and pop clips. We could see such carryover parts as window glass motors, emergency brake release motor, and similar be carried over — as many as GM can to keep manufacturing new parts, and therefore the ME’s cost down.

As to its price pleasure, expect manufacturing efficiencies, for example that the major instrument panel assembly will be made right along side the C7’s within the existing BGA IP sub-assembly line. Many other sub-assemblies will also be made within existing current areas — again be put together intertwined with the same sub-assembly area as for the C7.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
What exactly is happening to the Flat Plane Crank engines in the Fords? Or is it the chassis' that are having problems?

I understand those motors are just a blast to drive, however, these are still street cars and reliability is really important.
Bottom end/bearing failures in the engines.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:20 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by elegant
Quinten you make a really good point. However, where we might disagree is on the percentage of new parts. While we agree that the ME will have zero carryover exterior parts, one of the ways that its price point will delightfully surprise, is that many “hidden/inside parts” will be carried over, and not just talking about engine bolts and pop clips. We could see such carryover parts as window glass motors, emergency brake release motor, and similar be carried over — as many as GM can to keep manufacturing new parts, and therefore the ME’s cost down.

As to its price pleasure, expect manufacturing efficiencies, for example that the major instrument panel assembly will be made right along side the C7’s within the existing BGA IP sub-assembly line. Many other sub-assemblies will also be made within existing current areas — again be put together intertwined with the same sub-assembly area as for the C7.
I didn’t think about those sorts of things, but It makes sense. GM is at a great cost advantage compared to supercar manufacturers because of their ability to reuse such parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quinten33:
elegant (05-21-2018), JerriVette (05-24-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:58 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

It surprises me that folks STILL think the C8 is going to be crowding 6 figures when it comes out. Historical precedence along with $800 MILLION invested in Bowling Green Assembly tells you that GM won't ignore Corvette history OR invest that heavily to make LESS cars. There's this notion that mid-engine cars are considerably more expensive to produce than front engine cars. If that were the case, how in the world does Alfa Romeo produce the carbon fiber tubbed, DCT equipped 4C for $55,900 BASE PRICE?
I'm pretty sure GM's economies of scale DWARF Alfa Romeo/Fiat.

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-22-2018 at 05:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
JerriVette (05-24-2018), Mike Campbell (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
It surprises me that folks STILL think the C8 is going to be crowding 6 figures when it comes out. Historical precedence along with $800 MILLION invested in Bowling Green Assembly tells you that GM won't ignore Corvette history OR invest that heavily to make LESS cars. There's this notion that mid-engine cars are considerably more expensive to produce than front engine cars. If that were the case, how in the world does Alfa Romeo produce the carbon fiber tubbed, DCT equipped 4C for $55,900 BASE PRICE?
I'm pretty sure GM's economies of scale DWARF Alfa Romeo/Fiat.
It's because folks see a McLaren, Lambo, or Ferrari with their price tags and ASSUME the ME design is the cause.
Of course, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of those cars.

Like a political discussion, no amount of debate or evidence to the contrary will change their POV.
Ignorance overrides reason every time...
The following users liked this post:
C7pimp (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This sounds AWFUL! I hope that's not the final exhaust tuning. It doesn't even sound like a V8.

Next!
Old 05-23-2018, 06:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Pimp! You’re alive!??

Old 05-24-2018, 07:41 AM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
This sounds AWFUL! I hope that's not the final exhaust tuning. It doesn't even sound like a V8.

Next!
Making personal attacks on the new C8!!! You are now on my ignor list, do not bother to reply I want see it!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
Making personal attacks on the new C8!!! You are now on my ignor list, do not bother to reply I want see it!!!

Priceless, lol.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Pimp! You’re alive!??

Does this mean that we're getting rear end renderings soon?
Old 05-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

Next!
I do love the list of reasons 'potential buyers' (term used loosely) give to not purchase the latest Vette of any generation.

I.e. exhaust tip shape is weird, wheel arches all wrong, gauges only go to 180, no hood scoop, etc... It's pure entertainment really.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:02 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by WKM
Put me on your ignore list also. @#%&*":^^^
Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by WKM
Well struck, sir!!!!!

And for Michael A (even though he won't see it as I am on his "ignore" list....an honor I cherish, BTW)

Sung to the tune of "Rawhide"

Trollin', Trollin, Trollin,
Keep the dumbness rollin'
Keep them complaints a flowin'
INTERNETTTTT.....
Don't try to understand 'em
Just smack 'em 'round and ban 'em
Soon they'll be trollin' another site

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-24-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New ME In The Wild Video

Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I do love the list of reasons 'potential buyers' (term used loosely) give to not purchase the latest Vette of any generation.

I.e. exhaust tip shape is weird, wheel arches all wrong, gauges only go to 180, no hood scoop, etc... It's pure entertainment really.

I remember when the C6 ZR1 came out, all these guys were:
1. I'm not paying over MSRP, call me when it's MSRP and I'll buy
2. Well, it's at MSRP but I'm not buying until I get a 5% discount
3. Well, they're offering a 5% discount, but I'll wait for 10% and THEN I'll buy.
4. Damn, the C7 is out now...I hate the taillights.....

I can't IMAGINE that Michael A would have an ISSUE with the exhaust sound....(he's the guy that wants a quiet Corvette)

Last edited by jimmyb; 05-24-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:59 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Haven’t gotten any further updates or comments from the pimp. Hopefully we will get more info soon. !
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Sung to the tune of "Rawhide"

Trollin', Trollin, Trollin,
Keep the dumbness rollin'
Keep them complaints a flowin'
INTERNETTTTT.....
Don't try to understand 'em
Just smack 'em 'round and ban 'em
Soon they'll be trollin' another site
Gee, thanx guys...I now have coffee all over my keyboard.

Quick Reply: New ME In The Wild Video