Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want a coupe or spider?

Old 05-22-2018, 01:21 AM
zr_kaizen
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Default Do you want a coupe or spider?

So we’ve possibly seen two C8s in the wild - a coupe with a fastback (maybe), and what looks like a C8 with buttresses (probably a spider).

Which model would you pick? Although the idea of the spider seems cool, I really want the engine to be on full display, so I think I’d go coupe. Most of the spiders I’ve seen (Ferrari, Lamborghini) obstruct the engine a bit.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I also prefer mid engines as coupes for that very reason. The 458 Italia has a way better looking engine bay in coupe form than spider. I think the only spider that somewhat shows the engine through glass was the F430 Spider. I know opinions differ but for me personally, if it's a mid engine car, I want to see that motor through the glass.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

After not having a convertible since 1968, I would love a HT convertible. However, if it were delayed more than a couple of months, would be excited to again get a coupe. Then again, seeing the engine might keep me as a happy coupe owner. Hopefully, we see both at the reveal.

So as you can see, we are a definitive maybe.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:14 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,428 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Coupe for me. Would really like it to be a fixed roof coupe.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
Shaka (05-23-2018), z edge (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 418 Likes on 238 Posts

I would need to see both. Also depends on if the coupe has a removable top.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

We should make this a poll, but I'd definitely get the coupe, mostly because of the increased structural rigidity and how much easier it is to take to track days
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Targa top or spider ..always need to be able to let the sunshine in..
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Coupe for me. Would really like it to be a fixed roof coupe.
You are OnPoint with this
Old 05-22-2018, 12:09 PM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

Spider. The flat deck on the Spider mule appears to have open engine vents so you might be able to get a glimpse of the motor. Clear plexi vents would be cool.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

My hair is over 2 feet long.
If I drove a rag top (or Targa) it would take me a week to get the tangles out of it.

Last edited by MitchAlsup; 05-22-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Spider (Convertible) is only cool to me if it offers a roll bar, pop up or otherwise. That's a pretty important feature for a vehicle that is so capable imo.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I will not ever buy a convertible. I would also prefer not to see the engine on the c8.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:10 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by zr_kaizen
So we’ve possibly seen two C8s in the wild - a coupe with a fastback (maybe), and what looks like a C8 with buttresses (probably a spider).

Which model would you pick? Although the idea of the spider seems cool, I really want the engine to be on full display, so I think I’d go coupe. Most of the spiders I’ve seen (Ferrari, Lamborghini) obstruct the engine a bit.
I would definitely go with the HTC option. We have folks on here that proclaim that the mid engine Vette will be no more than 5 or 10k more than a comparable C7 model but then talk about wanting to see the engine like a Ferrari 458/488.

If GM keeps the entry cost as low as milks here are hoping for there won't be much to look at through the rear hatch glass. Most likely a plastic Intake cover stamp with a Corvette into the plastic.

While being able to see the engine was one reason I purchase my 458 as a hard top was because you could see the beautiful engineering that went into the Ferrari and those Brite red cam cover done in a gorgeous textured powder cost wrinkle finish. The other reason was an added 35k in cost for the spider that I could not justify knowing it might be driven top down once or twice a year.

No way GM offer something comparable unless you talking about the top of line model with a 150k plus price tag.

I will say that Callaway did a nice job on my 2016 SC757 With the carbon fiber covers and the supercharger sticking through the hood.

Way better than stock GM engine appearance.

So you may get plexiglass cover no way real glass as again GM is being asked to delivery a super car at budget pricing by all the Corvette faithfull on this forum. So you get cheap plexiglass cover to see a cheap intake cover also made of plastic.

This is way so many of us are hoping GM does go why upscale in pricing of the top of line model so they can do high quality and turn out a comparable products as Ferrari & Lamborghini and not be forced to cut corner to keep the cost unreasonable low.

I love Corvettes and have been a owner for over 25 years but the idea of a 75k entry level mid engine and then thinkin GM will be able to provide a engine bay that's worthy of putting on display the 2 thing don't match up.
The following users liked this post:
RoketRdr (05-25-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Most of us Don’t want or need to see the engine under glass...

I’m sure in the trophy like Ferrari 458 it’s cool...so not an insult...

Maybe like the previous poster mentioned when the top dog forced induction c8 maybe comes out with twin turbos and a Dohc engine design is offered ..maybe then GM will purposely beautify the exterior top of the engine from the get go to attract exotic car owners in areas beyond performance and even in window dressing detail.

What is it? The spider version of the Ferrari looses the glass engine see through? Versus the Ferrari coupe?

GM s retractable roof is going behind the seats...not on top of the engine bay so anything is possible...with regards to glass engine bays if that’s important...(Kidding)

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-23-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
I would definitely go with the HTC option. We have folks on here that proclaim that the mid engine Vette will be no more than 5 or 10k more than a comparable C7 model but then talk about wanting to see the engine like a Ferrari 458/488.

If GM keeps the entry cost as low as milks here are hoping for there won't be much to look at through the rear hatch glass. Most likely a plastic Intake cover stamp with a Corvette into the plastic.

While being able to see the engine was one reason I purchase my 458 as a hard top was because you could see the beautiful engineering that went into the Ferrari and those Brite red cam cover done in a gorgeous textured powder cost wrinkle finish. The other reason was an added 35k in cost for the spider that I could not justify knowing it might be driven top down once or twice a year.

No way GM offer something comparable unless you talking about the top of line model with a 150k plus price tag.

I will say that Callaway did a nice job on my 2016 SC757 With the carbon fiber covers and the supercharger sticking through the hood.

Way better than stock GM engine appearance.

So you may get plexiglass cover no way real glass as again GM is being asked to delivery a super car at budget pricing by all the Corvette faithfull on this forum. So you get cheap plexiglass cover to see a cheap intake cover also made of plastic.

This is way so many of us are hoping GM does go why upscale in pricing of the top of line model so they can do high quality and turn out a comparable products as Ferrari & Lamborghini and not be forced to cut corner to keep the cost unreasonable low.

I love Corvettes and have been a owner for over 25 years but the idea of a 75k entry level mid engine and then thinkin GM will be able to provide a engine bay that's worthy of putting on display the 2 thing don't match up.
Even though I don't have this man's budget, I'm going to have to agree with him here. GM's version of motor appearance is pretty awful with plastic fake covers and what not, even on models like the C6 ZR1 that came with a plexiglass window meant to show the engine off.

I will say this, for $2K you can really pretty them up and personalize them and to me it matters.

This is my C6 engine compartment for instance. I think it's a small amount of money to spend (and much less if GM did it at the factory level) to have an aesthetically pleasing V8 to look at. As car enthusiasts, isn't the engine part of the appeal?

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 05-23-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Even though I don't have this man's budget, I'm going to have to agree with him here. GM's version of motor appearance is pretty awful with plastic fake covers and what not, even on models like the C6 ZR1 that came with a plexiglass window meant to show the engine off.

I will say this, for $2K you can really pretty them up and personalize them and to me it matters.

This is my C6 engine compartment for instance. I think it's a small amount of money to spend (and much less if GM did it at the factory level) to have an aesthetically pleasing V8 to look at. As car enthusiasts, isn't the engine part of the appeal?

Nice job if Corvette was delivered from BG with something similar I could see having a window so that the engine could play a part of the overall appearance and be visible through a glass site panel or rear hatch glass.

Also if you ever heckled out what Callaway does with the SC757 they really do a great job of making the engine compartment something that the owner can be proud to open up and show of the quality materials & engineering in the engine compartment .

​​​​Hopefully GM will over a carbon fiber or other type engine compartment dress up option like Porsche & Ferrari / Lamborghini.

I agree with this poster that lota can be done to make the engine compartment something beautiful to look at for a 1 or 2k option from the factory.

If offered as an option I think lots of folks that do not daily their Vette and are more weekend / cars and coffee crowd would gladly spend a little extra to have an nice looking engine compartment.

GM I think will take a page out of the Porsche playbook and offer more and more option to bring the average sale price for the mid engine significantly higher than the entry level pricing.

Anyone who has ever done a build on Porsche build site it's the options is where they make their money and this also allows the buyer to build the car he or she truly dreams of.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:14 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

We have heard from Fasttoys1 and -vet that the ME wil have many options — a la the Porsche model. Nothing wrong with a functional plastic (or similar) engine cover to keep its entry cost down, yet wouldn’t it be wonderful for those who would want to have a $$$$$ OEM option of something really attractive? (Especially if directly visible...)

Each could choose, and GM could make some money that heretofore often went to aftermarket — in keeping with GM’s stated goal of taking a larger share of after delivery upgrades.

Last edited by elegant; 05-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you want a coupe or spider?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Most of us Don’t want or need to see the engine under glass...

I’m sure in the trophy like Ferrari 458 it’s cool...so not an insult...

Maybe like the previous poster mentioned when the top dog forced induction c8 maybe comes out with twin turbos and a Dohc engine design is offered ..maybe then GM will purposely beautify the exterior top of the engine from the get go to attract exotic car owners in areas beyond performance and even in window dressing detail.

What is it? The spider version of the Ferrari looses the glass engine see through? Versus the Ferrari coupe?

GM s retractable roof is going behind the seats...not on top of the engine bay so anything is possible...with regards to glass engine bays if that’s important...(Kidding)
Yes that is correct. The 458 and 488 with fix roof has a rear hatch glass similar to what we have with our C7 Vetts. The HTC has flying buttress and the engine is covered with bodywork.

The point I was trying to make is that we can't hope for a engine bay that is worthy of display on an entry level Mid Engine DCT super car that has a starting price point of 75k or 80k.

I fully agree that I hope the BIG DOG will have a engine bay worthy of a display.

I will be purchasing the HTC so I don't anticipate that it will offer a view of engine bay.

My best guess is the HTC will be very close in design to the Ferrari 458 / 488.

The coupe will have a large hatch similar to the C7 with a view of engine compartment and the HTC will have flying buttress and body work covering the engine bay.

I love the idea of a HTC for the Corvette. It solves the where do I store my targa top issue and offer a closer open air experience to a true convertible vs a targa top.

I think we are seeing the HTC in the car number #1 and the car # 5 in spy shots is the coupe .
Old 05-23-2018, 03:58 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

c4 zr-1 didn't need any engine tupperware last nice looking engine
Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM
99HRDTP
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Coupe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you want a coupe or spider?