Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the Pantera have any lessons for us?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 07:53 PM
TNBUSA
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I dont get all the crap about being able to get golf clubs in a Corvette being a deal breaker. I take my Jeep or truck when I go even though the clubs will fit in the Vette. I have know one to impress at the golf course.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:00 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Yeah, but what if you're driving past a Home Depot after work and you remember that you need a sheet of plywood?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:44 PM
TNBUSA
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Yeah, but what if you're driving past a Home Depot after work and you remember that you need a sheet of plywood?
lol
Old 05-28-2018, 12:08 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
So far we have heard such things as no ME for me because it won’t carry a lawnmower, than after that because it was worthless because it would not carry lawn chairs, and now the ME is unacceptable because it won’t carry a 4’ X 8’ sheet of plywood.

What next? The ME is unacceptable becuase it would be an epic fail because it would not carry home my newly bought washer and dryer. I can only conclude that the ME is a worthless piece of crap because it doesn’t function like my K3500 GMC pickup.

Oh yes, not a C1, nor a C2, nor a C3, nor a C4, nor a C5, nor a C6, nor a C7 would carry a 4’X8’ piece of plywood either.

I hope that GM will proceed in developing the ME in spite of its grossly inadequate lawn chair, lawnmower, and sheet of plywood capabilities.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (06-17-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 12:35 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
It is not a pure unibody. The frame can be driven without the body panels. Well if you could keep enough of the electronics to keep from throwing codes to shut the car down. I have seen more than a few pictures of C4 and above Corvettes driven without body panels.

It is not body on frame either. You can't just lift the body off the frame by undoing a few bolts, hoses, and linkages.

It is more of a perimeter frame. Kind of like a Fiero. but different.

Things just are not as simple as they used to be.
I agree - the C7 Corvette is a Unibody in that it does not have a separate chassis frame. It is not a monocoque or even semi-monocoque structure, however, in that the "skin" is parasitic and not structural. The car can and has been driven with the skin panels completely removed. It is similar in many ways to a space frame with an fiberglass aerodynamic fairing - like a Porsche 917 and many race cars of yore, (before C/E tubs became the standard.)
Old 05-28-2018, 02:14 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
So far we have heard such things as no ME for me because it won’t carry a lawnmower, than after that because it was worthless because it would not carry lawn chairs, and now the ME is unacceptable because it won’t carry a 4’ X 8’ sheet of plywood.

What next? The ME is unacceptable becuase it would be an epic fail because it would not carry home my newly bought washer and dryer.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:58 AM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I was 15 years old in Houston in 1987 looking for my second car. And there it was, a Pantera, parked on the side of Fuqua Rd, for $3.5K for sale.

I still have nightmares about missing buying it as I tried but but ran out of time as gathering that money was going to take me about a day or so.

Looks like I had to wait another 30+ years to get a ME.

3.5k ? Wow. I believe you, but it's hard to believe they were ever so cheap. I saw a Pantera in person at a car show and they're gorgeous.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Before emissions etc the pantera had a novel idea to have a removable trunk to ease servicing engine.

The c8 will have a large trunk up front to hold the targa and a good sized trunk out back.

The difference will be the service on the c8will requires four hour engine out procedure (drop from below) where as the trunk was removable in the pantera.

It’ll add around five hundred dollars to most major service requiring the engine removal but it’s worth it...

No big deal.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:25 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I have owned Corvettes for decades, and never once had my engine removed. Nor has any of my friends needed Corvette engine removal. I wonder what is the average of Corvette ownership requiring engine removal since the C5’s started in 1997, e.g. 1 per 500 cars???

Last edited by elegant; 05-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:01 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I do not need much luggage space at all in my sports cars. If I can fit my backpack in there somewhere, that is usually sufficient. It is nice to be able to take trips, but we usually take the Avalon (or Silverado if we are towing) for trips anyway. Much better for cruising down the interstate.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

We take our Corvettes on 4,000 mile road trips at least every other year.. They are great vehicles for that purpose. We plan to do that next year in our ME. We are not concerned about its luggage space — for it will be adequate for our needs. As Maximum Bob said many years ago, GM has the ME cargo carrying capacity figured out.
JerriVette (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 05:44 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

We take our Corvettes on 4,000 mile road trips at least every other year.. They are great vehicles for that purpose. We plan to do that next year in our ME. We are not concerned about its luggage space — for it will be adequate for our needs. As Maximum Bob said many years ago, GM has the ME cargo carrying capacity figured out.

Four thousand mile annual road trips (every other year) sounds cool as hell. LIVING life as an adventure in your corvettes is impressive.

Thanks for sharing and I’m sure you’re right.

Storage won’t be an issue

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-01-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM
elegant
Safety Car

One of our planned trips for 2019 is to get a very early ME (from Mike Furman), put 500 break-in miles on curvy Corvette corners in neighboring West Virginia, go back to Mike’s for an oil and filter change, then hopefully be the ones to make the very first ME customer cross country trip — reporting in detail here and the other major Corvette forum about its storage capacity for a cross country trip.

My forum name on another car forum is “Road Trip.” We did 30,000+ total road trip miles in the last 4 years, with another 13,000 miles already planned next year. Disclaimer re our road trip miles, we do not take the Corvettes into/over the U.S. Rockies or to Banff /Jasper during potentially bad/snowy weather, instead taking our WRX for those trips. Had there been Michelin A/S 3+’s for our Z06, more trips would have been done in it.
JerriVette (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Klinn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

...and now the ME is unacceptable because it won’t carry a 4’ X 8’ sheet of plywood.
I'm sure the ME will carry a sheet of plywood -- if you have the store cut it up into small pieces.

Hey, I once got a 4x8 sheet of drywall into my old E46 BMW by slicing it up in the Home Depot parking lot and stuffing the strips through the trunk, over the lowered rear seats, and into the passenger footwell. With enough ingenuity I'm sure we can figure something out for the ME.

Last edited by Klinn; 06-01-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Klinn
I'm sure the ME will carry a sheet of plywood -- if you have the store cut it up into small pieces.

Hey, I once got a 4x8 sheet of drywall into my old E46 BMW by slicing it up in the Home Depot parking lot and stuffing the strips through the trunk, over the lowered rear seats, and into the passenger footwell. With enough ingenuity I'm sure we can figure something out for the ME.

When my subdivision was new with only 5-6 houses built, I was looking out my kitchen window one Sunday afternoon, to see a Pinto driving down the street with a sheet of 4' X 8' plywood on the roof, that they had stolen from a job site. The driver had his left arm over the edge of the plywood, and the passenger had his right hand over the edge of the plywood.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:42 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When my subdivision was new with only 5-6 houses built, I was looking out my kitchen window one Sunday afternoon, to see a Pinto driving down the street with a sheet of 4' X 8' plywood on the roof, that they had stolen from a job site. The driver had his left arm over the edge of the plywood, and the passenger had his right hand over the edge of the plywood.
Did somebody say Pinto? I just couldn't' resist this thread.
Name:  IMG_6110.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  174.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5911.JPG
Views: 441
Size:  262.6 KB
Old 06-04-2018, 04:52 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Might well work! With the top off for those great golfing weather days, perhaps even two bags vertically, with the seat all the way back and a towel for protection on the seat, the towel dropping onto/over the carpet, maybe?

Anyone please try this on a C7?
Why, they fit in the back nicely.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the Pantera have any lessons for us?

Old 06-05-2018, 11:20 AM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

This should solve any speculation if clubs will fit in a Pantera.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:01 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Default Golf !!

Originally Posted by colo63sw

This should solve any speculation if clubs will fit in a Pantera.
AH-HAH ! The bar has been set !!

You may need to get one of those little old fashion girlie bags to make it so, however.

My great Uncle Tom once told me that a Really Good golfer only needs 5 clubs and a putter - #2 Wood, #3,#5 and #8 iron, and a pitching wedge ! That would fit in one of these little bags, easy !

He left me a set of Wilson Willie Ogg Specials, but when I took them to a Pro Shop, they told me NOT to hit 'em because they were too fragile and too valuable. (All wood shafts - even for the irons.) They sold me a set of Wilson 500's which I kept for many years alongside the Willie Oggs.

I since wised up and decided that a walk in the park beat the frustration of hitting a little white ball everywhere but where I wanted it to go. (I got to see places in the golf course, only the groundskeepers knew about.)

The Scots are a fine people, but Golf is truly psychotic game !! One day to save my mental health, I took the whole works to Goodwill and never looked back.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

One of our planned trips for 2019 is to get a very early ME (from Mike Furman), put 500 break-in miles on curvy Corvette corners in neighboring West Virginia, go back to Mike’s for an oil and filter change, then hopefully be the ones to make the very first ME customer cross country trip — reporting in detail here and the other major Corvette forum about its storage capacity for a cross country trip.

My forum name on another car forum is “Road Trip.” We did 30,000+ total road trip miles in the last 4 years, with another 13,000 miles already planned next year. Disclaimer re our road trip miles, we do not take the Corvettes into/over the U.S. Rockies or to Banff /Jasper during potentially bad/snowy weather, instead taking our WRX for those trips. Had there been Michelin A/S 3+’s for our Z06, more trips would have been done in it.
Hi, John. If you do it - be sure to stop by St. Louis on your way back home, and I'll serve you some good craft beer (Urban Chestnut) and Baby Back Ribs, poolside !

Cheers, Binger
elegant (06-05-2018)

Quick Reply: Does the Pantera have any lessons for us?