Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No manual trans = Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:59 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

17 percentage of c7 buyers pay for a convertible and GM continues to offer a convertible.

GM charges five grand for a convertible option and it requires quite a lot of different parts, possibly government testing etc and yet with 17 percent of all corvette buyers want a convertible GM continues to offer a $5000 convertible option...

Without 23 percent of all corvettes buyers ordering manuals I don’t suggest manual transmission is a safe bet for the 2020 c8..

Where did this rumor start ? The rumor That GM Is not going to offer a manual transmission in the c8?

Was this a GM official announcement ?

I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for the past 40 years... my present corvette is a manual...but that’s said I would like to buy a dct 500 hp rear mid engine targa topped c8..

Still GM is to going to give up 23 percent of it’s customer base....just as GM wouldnt give up 17 percent of it’s convertible buyer customer base...

Even Ferrari the last few years it offered both manual transmission and a dct.....Ferrari sold less than ten manuals in the last year of offering both

23 percentage of production is over 7000 units...

That’s a lot of cabbage to expect any corporation to walk away from...

Dct for many...a manual transmission for sure...

Can’t say which is be a charge item..but I’d say GM will offer both...

Who would disappoint 7000 potientially buyers by not offering an easily purchased manual transmission....which I’m sure suppliers are willing to offer GM such an item at attractive pricing...

The law of supply and demand with regards to GM and it’s suppliers would be foolish to price the 7 speed manual so it didn’t make economic sense for GM to offer it up...

Like I mentioned I a, getting the dct...but I really enjoy sharing logic on variations possible it’s the upcoming c8
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-29-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 05:07 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Yes they require regular fluid changes on the DCT, at 10 years or 120,000 miles, not what I would call frequent.

PS That is from my maintenance manual for my 2013 Boxster.
Audi was every 35-40k.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:12 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Part of the reason why a lot of people don't buy those brands. Over priced service designed to fleece the well to do.

Bill
Agree that do because they can. However the fluid filter and calibration/relearn for a dct makes it a far more expensive maintenance task.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

GM traditionally is more robust and durable than German brands which in many ways are nightmares after the warranty expires.

I would not suggest assuming GM durability requirements would be lessened because of a dct being on the list of options..

Of course this statement is not fool proof but overall....GM s 300k mile durability testing makes GM vehicles quite nicer to own longer term than the german brands...

Suppliers have to meet GM durability testing requirements as well.

I will mention the four grand dct option in the Porsche is known to be bullet proof even after thousands of burnouts to 60 mph runs...by the media...

I fully expect GM s dct offered to be bulletproof..

If not...we have warranties...and even extended warranties from GMEPP that are dirt cheap to cover us longer term.

I’m in for the dct...

Try something new for the experience..
Old 05-27-2018, 05:47 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerriVette
GM traditionally is more robust and durable than German brands which in many ways are nightmares after the warranty expires.

I would not suggest assuming GM durability requirements would be lessened because of a dct being on the list of options..

Of course this statement is not fool proof but overall....GM s 300k mile durability testing makes GM vehicles quite nicer to own longer term than the german brands...

I will mention the four grand dct option in the Porsche is known to be bullet proof even after thousands of burnouts to 60 mph runs...by the media...

If not...we have warranties...and even extended warranties from GMEPP that are dirt cheap to cover us longer term.

I’m in for the dct...

I tried it and almost died of boredom. Never again.
The following 2 users liked this post by NY09C6:
JJ Deuce (06-05-2018), Shaka (05-28-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 05:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I tried it and almost died of boredom. Never again.
You might be right ...

That said 23 percent of corvette buyers opt for manuals.
17 percent buyers opt for convertibles.

Don’t worry I really believe with that many corvette buyers opting for manuals...

GM will continue to utilize its supplier base to continue to offer you the choice of a manual...in the c8.

After 40 years of driving manual transmission cars...after buying three new corvettes including manual transmissions..

I’m interested in experiencing a rear mid engine corvettes with a dct.

If I get bored I can always sell car so it’s not a big deal for me...

Thanks for your insight

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-27-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Manual trans or no manual trans, I'll tell ya one thing: if the ME doesn't have a mid-engine I'm not buying it. Nothing like a boring drive in a FE/ME Corvette; that's why I'm keeping my '66 Beetle.

Good grief, Dale---this is still 'Murica. You get to vote. You even get to vote with your dollars. You don't want a car with a DCT---here's a hint. Don't buy it. No one's gonna be knockin' at your door to haul you away. Serious. You can take my word on that one. So far....
JerriVette (05-28-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

If the new ME does NOT have a DCT, then I am out. No need for the old fashioned manual especially the way Chevy builds them with fluid getting dirty and needing constant flushing. My 2008 Z06 had the WORST manual/clutch I have ever driven in over 50 years of driving. I'm American, a veteran, and we do not NEED a manual. Want maybe but not need.

That's funny. One of the first things I noticed about the M7 was how easy the clutch was. I'd rate it the BEST manual/clutch I have ever owned. The DCT means nothing to me. If it works like an auto, it's an auto. The internals are irrelevant to me. But I fear OP will be disappointed. I believe it is quite likely there will be no manual C8. But your precious DCT will be needing a lot more maintenance than a manual. I'm American, a veteran, and I do want a manual. In terms of NEED I do not need a Corvette and neither do you.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 PM
GundamX7X
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

this is getting good!
Old 05-27-2018, 09:22 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I’m in for the dct...

Considering the problems I had with my 05 base C6 and 08 Z06, I disagree with the highlighted section. And trust me, GM can be just as much a PITA as the german brands after warranty expires. Spend some time on the C6 Z06 boards and you will see for yourself. But like your post, this is pretty much just humble opinions and personal experience.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Without 23 percent of all corvettes buyers ordering manuals I don’t suggest manual transmission is a safe bet for the 2020 c8..Where did this rumor start ? The rumor That GM Is not going to offer a manual transmission in the c8?

I think the rumor started with Tadge. He has stated, "Enjoy the manuals while you can" while discussing the decreasing demand for manuals. I believe in the US it's down to 3-4% overall with many models not offering a manual at all. Most all trucks are autos now. I believe you can get a manual "work truck" with some brands, but no one carries them in stock. The idea is that as demand decreases there will come a time when it is not cost-effective for the few manufacturers left to continue producing them. Clearly the younger generation does not have the opportunity to even learn a manual because they are rare in the household. It's not difficult, but there is a learning curve. You must be taught. They never have the chance, therefore the downward spiral continues.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Considering the problems I had with my 05 base C6 and 08 Z06, I disagree with the highlighted section. And trust me, GM can be just as much a PITA as the german brands after warranty expires. Spend some time on the C6 Z06 boards and you will see for yourself. But like your post, this is pretty much just humble opinions and personal experience.
THEre is always a few cars that are duds and of course a few owners that get two losers like you...

But for the most part GM s durability seriously out performs the German products especially out of warranty...

We can agree to disagree....your choice. I respect what you are saying happened to you.

I have great experience ..not perfect but dam good with GM products over the past 40 years of many brands of cars....I’m willing to throw down the gamble for a dct.

For those who prefer a manual I have confidence a manual will be offered in the c8 as well...

Could I be wrong?

Of course none of us know for sure...

Just remember 23 percent of a customer base is a large number for any business to ignore...

We will find out soon enough

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-27-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:03 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
So, you can shift up in 50ms (0.050 seconds) and down in another 50ms ?!?

That is about 10X faster than the very vast majority of high proficiency manual drivers.
Can someone with one of the various VW DCTs(Audi, Porsche, Lambo) tell me what happens when you go from a 5th gear straight to a 1st or second gear turn. Does it shift from 5th to first? or sequentially down from 5th making 4 shifts? I see all of the talk about the speed of downshifts. Is that normally a problem on a track? Or just in unexpected street racing? Aren't usually braking with plenty of time to down shift? I thought that was what heal and toe was for? On a manual you can shift from 5th to 1st in one shift. Same on upshift, but there is less call for that to happen quickly. I don't ever recall doing that on a track.

Speed on upshift, I get.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

THEre is always a few cars that are duds and of course a few owners that get two losers like you...

But for the most part GM s durability seriously out performs the German products especially out of warranty...

We can agree to disagree....your choice. I respect what you are saying happened to you.

I have great experience ..not perfect but dam good with GM products over the past 40 years of many brands of cars....I’m willing to throw down the gamble for a dct.

For those who prefer a manual I have confidence a manual will be offered in the c8 as well...

Could I be wrong?

Of course none of us know for sure...

Just remember 23 percent of a customer base is a large number for any business to ignore...

We will find out soon enough
JD Power tends to disagree with you about GM durability, http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study...y-Make/1881ENG This is for the 2017 cars.
Out of warranty could be a completely separate discussion which neither one of us would come out as being more or less correct.

One other thing about DCT's, and this isn't directed at you sir. There are many and mostly they operate similarly, the difference between them is the programming the OEM puts in. Porsche's DCT usually comes out as the best of the best. When I first drove my Boxster with a DCT, I had a epiphany. It is possible to have an "automatic" that is as enjoyable to drive as a manual. At least it can be if you are willing to accept your left leg isn't going to do anything,
Old 05-27-2018, 11:23 PM
zr_kaizen
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I wonder if GM realizes if they sold the C8 with a gated shifter it would sell like hot cakes
Old 05-28-2018, 01:34 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
In this current world, in case you haven't noticed, most people feel driving a manual is so slow that they don't even want one. Even Tadge described driving a manual gearbox as dated and "grabbing a little stick to change gears" as being a mundane process. With your chief engineer talking like that...might as well forget about it.
This is coming from a Chief Engineer who is putting a 720p data recorder camera in the Corvette, while the world has moved on to 4K.

Grabbing a big steering wheel to steer is becoming a "mundane process", too. There really isn't any place for a Corvette in the world of autonomous cars. They drive themselves. Tadge and team should think hard about the fact that it is the driving experience that will make the Corvette relevant in the future, not just having the latest tech. The latest tech can put the Corvette right out of business.

Last edited by Michael A; 05-28-2018 at 01:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
CorvetteBrent (05-29-2018), Suns_PSD (05-28-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 02:06 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,314 Likes on 990 Posts

^That was my thought precisely when I saw the interview when he stated that. Isn't "using a little ring to steer the car" also a mundane process when you define it like that? I guess the ultimate is to buy a Corvette that just hustles you around a road course like an amusement park ride?
Michael A (05-28-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To No manual trans = Garbage

Old 05-28-2018, 02:20 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

I think part of the problem is that engines have gotten so powerful they are outpacing the availability of high quality clutch material/setups that will meet the demands of OEM reliability for a wide... spectrum of users. Who will each use a "clutch" differently.

They need a solution that "anybody" can drive "poorly" that won't cost $1000 in parts to change each time.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
So, you can shift up in 50ms (0.050 seconds) and down in another 50ms ?!?

That is about 10X faster than the very vast majority of high proficiency manual drivers.
It's obvious from his rant he doesn't want to hear FACTS.

Originally Posted by zr_kaizen
I wonder if GM realizes if they sold the C8 with a gated shifter it would sell like hot cakes
And you know this HOW?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:13 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

JD Power tends to disagree with you about GM durability, http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study...y-Make/1881ENG This is for the 2017 cars.
Out of warranty could be a completely separate discussion which neither one of us would come out as being more or less correct.

One other thing about DCT's, and this isn't directed at you sir. There are many and mostly they operate similarly, the difference between them is the programming the OEM puts in. Porsche's DCT usually comes out as the best of the best. When I first drove my Boxster with a DCT, I had a epiphany. It is possible to have an "automatic" that is as enjoyable to drive as a manual. At least it can be if you are willing to accept your left leg isn't going to do anything,

JD Powers is worthless...sorry if we disagree...

I place JD Powers very close in worthlessness as consumer reports ..

We can agree to disagree....

Just like I feel GM is not going to walk away from 23percent of its customer base that buys manual transmissions.

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-28-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: No manual trans = Garbage