Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No manual trans = Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:37 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I tried to touch on each point, but I guess I don't understand your opinion so we will leave it at that.

Have a good day.
Just to clarify my point if it was confusing... having shift paddles gives the driver more control and enhances the experience in a DCT. If a MT is a 10/10 for driver engagement/control, a DCT with paddles in manual mode is a 7/10 and a DCT in auto mode is a 3/10. This is the need proposition for paddles on a DCT... it has nothing to do with achieving a faster lap time or quicker acceleration.

So, it may NOT give you a better performance but that is not relevant to using paddles. Therefore, they should definitely be included on a DCT car and there is no reasonable argument to remove them.

Last edited by gthal; 06-02-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:38 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Default I hope so

Originally Posted by jimmyb
100% correct.
Ferrari stopped making 3 pedal cars because their take rate was even more skewed...over 90% of Ferraris were being ordered with automatics. BUT....
20% of Corvettes is a BIG number in the sports car world and hard to ignore.

Just because Car and Driver says no manual doesn't mean ANYTHING. They have been wrong plenty (just look at the render that graced their cover).
Had an opportunity to speak with Harlan at the Bash last month.
Though I knew he was not interested in talking about the C8, I told him that I would be thrilled if the ME 8 had a manual option.
And additionally I would have no problems if there it was a line item charge for it.
He looked at me as if I just flew in from Mars.
I hope I am wrong.
Though I am sure the new auto trans will be spectacular and the better performer, I simply prefer the engagement with a manual trans.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:35 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
No offence but this is silly.

Having paddle shifters on a DCT keeps the control completely with the driver. Identical to a manual but without the clutch pedal.
Let us postulate a situation where you want to engage the clutch over a period of 1.0+ second(s) in order to avoid spinning out on wet/frozen tarmac. A situation where you may need to feel the point of slippage and then push the pedal back in a bit and try again.

I know how to do this in a MT, how do you do this in a DCT?

There are plenty of situations where one does not want the fastest possible gear change, some where you want an extended disengaged interval, and others where the time of engagement is extended. How does one do this in a DCT?
Old 06-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Let us postulate a situation where you want to engage the clutch over a period of 1.0+ second(s) in order to avoid spinning out on wet/frozen tarmac. A situation where you may need to feel the point of slippage and then push the pedal back in a bit and try again.

There are plenty of situations where one does not want the fastest possible gear change, some where you want an extended disengaged interval, and others where the time of engagement is extended. How does one do this in a DCT?
If the computer is in control with "superior technology" (anything past, say, 2012 or so) then isn't it comparing wheel speeds all the time and adjusting engine output to keep the tires spinning the same speed? And by comparing front to back and rate of change it can tell if any one of the tires is spinning oddly. I mean, this is the latest tech we are talking right? Surely it knows which was gravity is and can tell the car is sliding or rolling down a hill or what.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by PHILLIP YOUNG
Had an opportunity to speak with Harlan at the Bash last month.
Though I knew he was not interested in talking about the C8, I told him that I would be thrilled if the ME 8 had a manual option.
And additionally I would have no problems if there it was a line item charge for it.
He looked at me as if I just flew in from Mars.
I hope I am wrong.
Though I am sure the new auto trans will be spectacular and the better performer, I simply prefer the engagement with a manual trans.

After all the heart attacks on this forum from unofficial rumors that no manual transmission is on the horizon for the c8 ...

Maybe the reason Harlan looked at you as if you were from Mars..it’s because GM plans on having the c8 come standard with a manual transmission and then charge thousands more for its new dct transmission.

This pattern allows GM to offer a lower base msrp and gets the consumer spending loading on the options...

Since 77 percent of corvette s were sold with an added extra cost automatic transmission...GM is able to advertise a low base msrp for the car and then ship out their c8s with that option list checked off...

Harlan looked at you crazy because he knows the manual will be standard and 77 percentage of customers will have to start checking off the extra cost options to get their new dct.

Porsche charges around 4grand for it’s dct.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:45 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
If Tadge really said this, and believes this, then that silly "little stick to put an automatic into gear" should go, too. Not needed. It's all electronically controlled. You can just use a touch screen, a button, or even gesture control to put it into gear. That auto trans shift lever is just taking up space on the console.

CONSOLE SHIFTER NEEDS TO GO.

Also "grabbing a little paddle to change gears is a mundane process", too. We hear over and over and over that the manual is not needed, because it is slower than the automatic (see above for example). If that's the justification for abandoning the manual, then the paddle shifters need to go, too. Chevy has already proven that the fastest way around the track is to just leave it Drive. Chevy is setting track records with it in Drive. The computers are so good, they shift better than people, even without a DCT. People are just slowing the car down with the paddles.

PADDLE SHIFTERS NEED TO GO.
For the ultimate performance, Human drivers need to go...
The following 2 users liked this post by LightningBolt:
Basil2000 (06-03-2018), Suns_PSD (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Porsche will kill the MT soon too There is no MT option on a number of their higher performing models... guess they don't like "enthusiasts" either. That's the thing, liking a clutch pedal has NOTHING to do with being an "enthusiast." It's just a preference on the type of transmission... like the choice on spider vs. coupe... black vs. red. It's subjective and personal yet people who live by the MT transmission think it makes them an "enthusiast" Chest thumping aside, someone who prefers an MT is no more an "enthusiast" than someone who prefers a DCT.

But, you are right, if there is no MT on the C8 you could buy a lower performing Porsche with an MT or spend WAY more money for a similarly performing Porsche to buy the right to push a clutch pedal. Until Porsche also ends MT transmissions across their car lineup at some point.

Again, don't get me wrong... I love my MT cars and hope GM offers it on the C8. I also really like the character and performance of a DCT. No chest thumping, false enthusiast mentality, macho BS from me regardless as to which type of car I'm driving that day
most people would want hydraulic steering rather than electric also because you can feel the road but it still has gone away. I really hope the manual will stay for a while but just in case I got a 2019 z06 to keep forever.... but do plan on getting a c8 or something fancier once day health and wealth permitting.

Last edited by Stingcan; 06-03-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:58 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup

As I mentioned in my post... a DCT and manual are similar except the clutch pedal. So, if you want to feather or ride the clutch, you can't the same way with a DCT. I have yet to have a situation personally where I needed to so carefully engage or disengage the clutch so slowly that I couldn't manage the same ultimate control of the car with a DCT. That would be on the track or the street. I'm not suggesting there aren't times you might do this but, for me, they are exceptionally rare.

Last edited by gthal; 06-02-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:13 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
GM has not even made an unofficial or official announcement about a manual transmission being discontinued. Nothing zero....nada
GM has made no announcement that there will be a new Corvette, much less a mid engine Corvette. Yet we are all convinced that it is done deal and will have a thousand horsepower and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 06-03-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:39 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Speaking of transmissions, remember when two people posted that the ME was not coming with a DCT, but with the A10, here is one-media’s short rebuttal to the A10 postulation.

Originally Posted by CorvetteOnLine
It could very well be the 10-speed automatic al la the ZL1, but we’ve now heard the ME in action and the shifting seems very much different from the 10L90. It would appear that Chevrolet may release the C8 with its very first dual-clutch transmission (DCT).

Last edited by elegant; 06-03-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:02 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm seeing some random posts in this thread along the lines of "manual sales are dwindling" and/or decreasing; demand is down, etc. I think once the dust settles, you can pretty much say that about most things (Super NES, the iPhone, etc), including C7 Corvette sales overall in 2018 compared to 2014.

I think a factor that needs to be put into the equation is that after 4-5 years of being in dealerships, everyone who wanted a C7 in a manual transmission has already bought one at this point, particularly the enthusiasts. I would look at the 2014/2015 model years just for initial production numbers when people wanted to get the C7 at its peak:

2014 Corvette Stingray Manual Production Numbers:
13210 / 37288 = 35%

2015 Corvette Stingray Manual Production Numbers:
6484 / 25587 = 25%

2015 Corvette Z06 Manual Production Numbers:
4467 / 8653 = 51%

Overall initial:
24161 / 71528 = 33% or 1 out of 3

So versus looking at 1 out of 5 (which is still good), I'd look at the sales you could generate when the vehicle is released, which is actually greater than all manual transmission sales in the US market 30 years ago (That Z06 number is way too good to ignore). I would also look at dealer allocated orders vs actual customer orders. That should play a huge role in determining the trend of the Corvette specific market going forward.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgment Day
I'm seeing some random posts in this thread along the lines of "manual sales are dwindling" and/or decreasing; demand is down, etc. I think once the dust settles, you can pretty much say that about most things (Super NES, the iPhone, etc), including C7 Corvette sales overall in 2018 compared to 2014.

I think a factor that needs to be put into the equation is that after 4-5 years of being in dealerships, everyone who wanted a C7 in a manual transmission has already bought one at this point, particularly the enthusiasts. I would look at the 2014/2015 model years just for initial production numbers when people wanted to get the C7 at its peak:

2014 Corvette Stingray Manual Production Numbers:
13210 / 37288 = 35%

2015 Corvette Stingray Manual Production Numbers:
6484 / 25587 = 25%

2015 Corvette Z06 Manual Production Numbers:
4467 / 8653 = 51%

Overall initial:
24161 / 71528 = 33% or 1 out of 3

So versus looking at 1 out of 5 (which is still good), I'd look at the sales you could generate when the vehicle is released, which is actually greater than all manual transmission sales in the US market 30 years ago (That Z06 number is way too good to ignore). I would also look at dealer allocated orders vs actual customer orders. That should play a huge role in determining the trend of the Corvette specific market going forward.
You nailed it...first year or so consumers order the cars ...later on in production years and dealers place option list orders for inventory. Dealers are scared of hanging inventory so they order the automatic...

You are right first year and scind year sales numbers show the actual demand by consumers..

GM is definitely going to have a manual standard but is quiet on all new vehicle specs A) because it’s corporate policy to not discuss upcoming model shows at all..

And

B) because if knuckle head consumers think the existing generation could be the last manual GM will sell more existing models

So overall the entire discussion of no manual being available is just internet bullcrap...

Remember we are enjoying the idea that the sky is falling....

Manual will be available on the c8.

Especially looking at your data on 2015 and 2015 model years when consumers actually placed the orders..

Suppliers will convince GM to make a manual available quite easily as well..

Suppliers need th unit sales of manual transmission as well..

GM needs unit sales and the percentages are huge...way beyond even Porsche’s 911 percentages which are 85percent dct and 15percent manuals...

Porsche has the manual standard and the dct as a 4 grand option...

Sounds good to me and I don’t pay the 4 grand for a corvette dct and I made a cheap sob...

Many corvette enthusiasts demand manuals and many of us manual drivers want a dct and no time a torque converter automatic...in our next new corvette.

Computers activating the clutch pedal that’s no longer needed is all that’s missing..

Dam computers just do it faster and more consistently perfect...

That said..manuals will be available as standard for the c8 ..
Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

After all the heart attacks on this forum from unofficial rumors that no manual transmission is on the horizon for the c8 ...

Maybe the reason Harlan looked at you as if you were from Mars..it’s because GM plans on having the c8 come standard with a manual transmission and then charge thousands more for its new dct transmission.

This pattern allows GM to offer a lower base msrp and gets the consumer spending loading on the options...

Since 77 percent of corvette s were sold with an added extra cost automatic transmission...GM is able to advertise a low base msrp for the car and then ship out their c8s with that option list checked off...

Harlan looked at you crazy because he knows the manual will be standard and 77 percentage of customers will have to start checking off the extra cost options to get their new dct.

Easily makes the most sense.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:10 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

This would be a smart move by GM. It seems there are many here that love the DCT and would be willing to pay a significant premium for it.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:42 AM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd look at the sales you could generate when the vehicle is released, which is actually greater than all manual transmission sales in the US market 30 years ago (That Z06 number is way too good to ignore). I would also look at dealer allocated orders vs actual customer orders. That should play a huge role in determining the trend of the Corvette specific market going forward.[/QUOTE]

The buyer at my dealership only orders autos for stock. His thought is someone walking in wanting a manual will buy an auto, but someone wanting an auto wont buy a manual. The fact he has never driven a manual might have some influence.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:03 PM
Klinn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always had manuals.

Back in the old days when automatics were rightfully derided as "slush boxes", there was a definite performance advantage with a manual. These days, despite much improved automatics, I buy a manual mostly because it's cheaper and I'd rather spend that money on some other cool options.

If the ME only comes with a DCT, I'll be happy to try it. If it comes with a base manual and optional DCT, I may be tempted but it will depend on the upcharge.

I always thought I'd end up with a DCT when buying a GTI (when I get too old to climb in and out of sports cars) but experiencing it in a brand new Corvette would be highly acceptable alternative.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:25 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I am making the conversion from 53 clutched manuals in a row to the DCT. Times change and engineering advances, and so I am going to do likewise.

I like what Tadge once said, “imagine if the automatic came first, and someone asked would you like to change to a slower car with its extra pedal?”
Actually as far as Corvette is concerned the auto did come first. I think that all of the 1953's were 2 speed auto.
Michael A (06-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To No manual trans = Garbage

Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Correct, and all 1954’s were Powerglides also. And while we know that the manual was introduced for 1955’s, until the middle of that model year, all V8’s also only came with an automatic trans.
Michael A (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Many corvette enthusiasts demand manuals and many of us manual drivers want a dct and no time a torque converter automatic...in our next new corvette.
Many? I'm not seeing many here. It looks like most still want to use a clutch pedal.

The Corvette manual people are very dedicated to their transmissions. If Chevy drops the manual in the Corvette, I would not want to be on the receiving end of all the complaints. I wouldn't be surprised to see protests and marches out in front of the plant.

Last edited by Michael A; 06-03-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by LightningBolt
For the ultimate performance, Human drivers need to go...
That's my point exactly. How far are we going to take this before the car is driving itself? I still want to drive. That's why I turn off all the nannies if I am in the mood to drive, and I shift and clutch the car.

Quick Reply: No manual trans = Garbage