Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No manual trans = Garbage

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:13 PM
RUMBL B
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Manual all the way! Having a transmission shift for you... 1. is boring, and 2. is lazy (unless handicapped).
Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
No, he's not. It's a C6 GS with a photoshopped nose. The minute Tadge said the C7 obsoleted the C6, it was on like Donkey Kong for Joe. He's been on the warpath for 5 years now, and we're all begging for him to get over it.
It is pretty funny how much time he has spent ragging on the C7 around here.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It is pretty funny how much time he has spent ragging on the C7 around here.
Not sure if it's "funny" or just ridiculous...

Actually, I am sure. It's ridiculous. I truly don't understand why Joe doesn't spend his time in the C6 Z06 sub forum. It is VERY lively, plenty of discussion, instead, the guy has talked about HIS C6 Z06's light weight, it's gas mileage, etc ad nauseum, ALL on the C7 forum. I can't wait for his view on the C8, although I bet I can write every thing he will have a problem with when it comes out.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Not sure if it's "funny" or just ridiculous...

Actually, I am sure. It's ridiculous. I truly don't understand why Joe doesn't spend his time in the C6 Z06 sub forum. It is VERY lively, plenty of discussion, instead, the guy has talked about HIS C6 Z06's light weight, it's gas mileage, etc ad nauseum, ALL on the C7 forum. I can't wait for his view on the C8, although I bet I can write every thing he will have a problem with when it comes out.
After awhile, his shtick seemed more like trolling than anything else.
Honestly, I got so tired of it I put him on my Ignore List a long time back.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 107 Posts

All the statements about the Corvette sales dying because its going mid engine or no manual trans, there are a few things to think about. I remember how Cadillac was going to die when they stopped building old people cars and started the new edgy styling, what happened is they attracted a new market of buyers, which was what they were after. The same thing could likely happen with the Corvette. Alot of younger people don't want to buy the Corvette as they look at it as an old persons sports car, same old platform its always been (although more than capable). With the move to mid engine and DCT, they are going to attract a new wave of buyers to make up for anyone who decides they don't want to buy Corvettes anymore. Personally I'm looking forward to the new mid engine, hoping for a little more cabin room now that there's no need for the huge center tunnel.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinLow
All the statements about the Corvette sales dying because its going mid engine or no manual trans, there are a few things to think about. I remember how Cadillac was going to die when they stopped building old people cars and started the new edgy styling, what happened is they attracted a new market of buyers, which was what they were after. The same thing could likely happen with the Corvette. Alot of younger people don't want to buy the Corvette as they look at it as an old persons sports car, same old platform its always been (although more than capable). With the move to mid engine and DCT, they are going to attract a new wave of buyers to make up for anyone who decides they don't want to buy Corvettes anymore. Personally I'm looking forward to the new mid engine, hoping for a little more cabin room now that there's no need for the huge center tunnel.
I don't think that's a good example. Cadillac sales are lower now than in 1998 just prior to the adoption of the "Art and Science" styling. In 1998, Cadillac sold 187,343 vehicles with the "old persons" styling. Last year, they only sold 156,440.

Sounds like they better keep the manual trans.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:03 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't think that's a good example. Cadillac sales are lower now than in 1998 just prior to the adoption of the "Art and Science" styling. In 1998, Cadillac sold 187,343 vehicles with the "old persons" styling. Last year, they only sold 156,440.
You're forgetting something...how many of Cadillac's "old people" have died since 1998?
The following 2 users liked this post by sunsalem:
gurneyeagle (06-06-2018), Michael A (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 AM
HC-C7
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude sorry to ruin your incorrect info .
But the 8 speed auto will smoke anyone or idiot who thinks the C7 ZO6 in manual trans is faster. If your info is correct why dont you put your money where your mouth is and race a 8 speed ZO6 for your cars title . Try not to cry when you lose your car not one time everytime genius.

Last edited by HC-C7; 06-06-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Sounds like they better keep the manual trans.
You're forgetting something...how many of Cadillac's "old people" have died since 1998?
This is off topic but Cadillac's real issue is brand image. No matter how edgy the styling is, no matter how the car performs... it is still a "Cadillac".

The ATS is a real alternative to the BMW 3 series but there is no way in hell you will see me driving a Cadillac. Heck, my wife would tease me about it not to mention the massive ribbing I'd get from friends!! I'm 45 and can't see me driving one because of the image of the car and the name. Similar to "Buick". It's not about the prestige of the brand but the perceived demographic of owners and it being a car for "more experienced" people regardless as to how much GM tries to change that. You won't find more than a handful of 30-something professionals choosing a Caddy over Audi, BMW, MB or even Lexus. GM needs to create a brand new luxury brand and move past the image of Cadillac IMO.

I suppose Corvette had a similar brand issue but it was FAR less of an issue and the C7 really did change that. Everyone I know in the 30-50 range appreciate the Corvette.

Last edited by gthal; 06-06-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:00 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
This is off topic but Cadillac's real issue is brand image. No matter how edgy the styling is, no matter how the car performs... it is still a "Cadillac".

The ATS is a real alternative to the BMW 3 series but there is no way in hell you will see me driving a Cadillac. Heck, my wife would tease me about it not to mention the massive ribbing I'd get from friends!! I'm 45 and can't see me driving one because of the image of the car and the name. Similar to "Buick". It's not about the prestige of the brand but the perceived demographic of owners and it being a car for "more experienced" people regardless as to how much GM tries to change that. You won't find more than a handful of 30-something professionals choosing a Caddy over Audi, BMW, MB or even Lexus. GM needs to create a brand new luxury brand and move past the image of Cadillac IMO.

I suppose Corvette had a similar brand issue but it was FAR less of an issue and the C7 really did change that. Everyone I know in the 30-50 range appreciate the Corvette.
You must not be paying attention to the races. Cadillac has been taking it to all competitors in IMSA. Literally to the point, like Corvette, of being dictated to downsize and down power their engines to make things more competitive. I think your grandfather's Cadillac is long gone!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by ltomn
You must not be paying attention to the races. Cadillac has been taking it to all competitors in IMSA. Literally to the point, like Corvette, of being dictated to downsize and down power their engines to make things more competitive. I think your grandfather's Cadillac is long gone!
Sadly, though, that does not seeem to have much of a dent on their image in America.

And, to the point of our Vettes, even the C7 has not really changed the Vette ownership demographic significantly. It is still largely purchased by old guys. If I can make a possible anology. When I was a real young guy, the C3 definitely seemed cool and desirable. By the time I was a "young" (30) man the C3 was considered a joke -- a terrible "image car" nowhere near as desireable as a host of Japanese and German competitors -- IMO for good reasons. Then the C4 came out, and my 30-YO sports car-fan friends were: "Hey, this thing changes the game -- wish I could afford one." (Sound familiar?)

C8/ME/Zora should further improve Vette appreciation among young, but not enough to change the buying demographic, I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong...

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 06-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:13 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by gthal
You have a point.
They really do have an image problem.
The brand needs a complete re-think on how to market their cars.
Frankly, I don't really know what the solution is.
I have had 3 Cadillacs in the last 20 years: Escalade, XLR, CTS-V.
I loved 'em all.
The 2 cars constantly received compliments and questions everywhere I drove them.
Folks were surprised when I told them they were Cadillacs.
IMO, the change began with the C6 and the exposed headlights, but you're right, the C7 hit it out of the ballpark.

Originally Posted by ltomn
You must not be paying attention to the races. Cadillac has been taking it to all competitors in IMSA.
Not to mention their complete domination of the World Challenge series in the CTS-V.R and the ATS-V.R

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred

C8/ME/Zora should further improve Vette appreciation among young, but not enough to change the buying demographic, I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong...
I do too.
Over the years many have said Cadillac should have produced this car:

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-06-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Sadly, though, that does not seeem to have much of a dent on their image in America.

And, to the point of our Vettes, even the C7 has not really changed the Vette ownership demographic significantly. It is still largely purchased by old guys. If I can make a possible anology. When I was a real young guy, the C3 definitely seemed cool and desirable. By the time I was a "young" (30) man the C3 was considered a joke -- a terrible "image car" nowhere near as desireable as a host of Japanese and German competitors -- IMO for good reasons. Then the C4 came out, and my 30-YO sports car-fan friends were: "Hey, this thing changes the game -- wish I could afford one." (Sound familiar?)

Buying a brand new Corvette requires a couple of things. First and foremost, enough disposable income to put into a recreational vehicle. Or if it is going to be the only car, a lifestyle that doesn't require more than two seats, or too much cargo space.

Given that, there is only one real demographic that fits, and that is the 50+ crowd. At that time people have reached or are near the pinnacle of their careers, equity on the home is more than is owed, and the kids are living on their own, or at least off to school. The trick is to design and market the car for the group entering that demographic.

What I have noticed, though I wouldn't even know where to find numbers to fact check it, is that more under 30's are buying used Corvettes. Perhaps this is a direct result of the reimaging from the C7, or perhaps it is just that the early C6's are now getting into the low $20K high teen mark. My experience and conversations with younger people (<30) is not that they think the Corvette is an "old man's car", most would love to have one, it's just that they perceive that only old men can afford one, which is true to a point. (bearing in mind that their definition of old may differ from ours, lol)

Back to topic, I think the most credible argument that there might not be a manual in the ME is the engineering aspect, though I'm confident they can do it, and will do it. Also I really think the ratio of manual cars to auto would be much different if dealers ordered more manuals for their lots.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 06-06-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:23 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Over the years many have said Cadillac should have produced this car:

Well, they kind of did, in making the CTS coupe. At least from the overall exterior design perspective.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (06-07-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 02:41 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Well, they kind of did, in making the CTS coupe. At least from the overall exterior design perspective.
I would NEVER have confused this with my CTS coupe.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

I mean, isn't using a lever stick "too automatic"? Why not open the trans case and push gears manually REALLY manually by hand, sliding them forwards and backwards. Using lever arm + shift fork to do this MANUAL job for you is alot like using a computer and a bunch of wires to move the same fork isn't it?
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Alrighty then...it's the bald guys buying base convertibles that skew the automatic/manual thing. Great theory, completely WRONG.
Convertibles make up 17% of total Corvette sales. Automatics make up 80% (give or take a % +/-) of ALL models/body styles of the C7. Sorry, your math doesn't work.

Here IS the math, in nice round numbers (based on 80% automatic and 17% convertible):
20,000 C7's (Stingray/GS/Z06/ZR1) sold.
3,400 would be convertibles (17% of 20,000)
16,000 (out of 20,000) would be automatics. (80% of 20,000)

I AM one of those bald guys with a BASE Stingray...with a 7 speed manual. Clearly, most coupes, regardless of model, are automatics. Even if EVERY convertible was an automatic, the ratio (coupes) is still very heavily skewed in favor of the automatic.

One need only read the NEW CAR DAY! threads in the ZR1 forum. The vast majority of those posting bought automatics.
Great math, too bad it is not answering the right question. Statistics is a tool not the q and a. What you really need to look at is take up rate for each type of car. Autos are picked more frequently for boulevard cruisers and less frequently for the sportier models.

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
Couple of things I could comment on

Autos do better in traffic situation
I don't even have to think much to drive a manual in traffic. My muscles take it without ache. I don't get what folks are on about. It's like saying eating with chop sticks is too difficult so one has to use the fork everytime. I never finish a meal and complain about my forearm muscles aching or brain fatigue. Besides, working your brain and muscles is what keep them young. We are organisms not machines.

If Tadge really said this, and believes this, then that silly "little stick to put an automatic into gear" should go, too. Not needed. It's all electronically controlled. You can just use a touch screen, a button, or even gesture control to put it into gear. That auto trans shift lever is just taking up space on the console.

CONSOLE SHIFTER NEEDS TO GO.

Also "grabbing a little paddle to change gears is a mundane process", too. We hear over and over and over that the manual is not needed, because it is slower than the automatic (see above for example). If that's the justification for abandoning the manual, then the paddle shifters need to go, too. Chevy has already proven that the fastest way around the track is to just leave it Drive. Chevy is setting track records with it in Drive. The computers are so good, they shift better than people, even without a DCT. People are just slowing the car down with the paddles.

PADDLE SHIFTERS NEED TO GO.
Perfect thought process! Indeed, taken seriously, the faster is better approach will lead to full automatic control of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To No manual trans = Garbage

Old 06-06-2018, 03:24 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I would NEVER have confused this with my CTS coupe.
Ha ha, nor would I. Point is the inspiration for the coupe is there.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:28 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I mean, isn't using a lever stick "too automatic"? Why not open the trans case and push gears manually REALLY manually by hand, sliding them forwards and backwards. Using lever arm + shift fork to do this MANUAL job for you is alot like using a computer and a bunch of wires to move the same fork isn't it?
Brilliant topic. Yes, I believe answering this question is very revealing for why the modern stick is such a great package.

There were nth iterations of the manual transmission. It is a package that was refined over a century. What we have today is finely tuned man machine connection. We have identified what we wish to control manually and have created an interface that is both engaging, effective, and cost efficient. The manual is a mature human invention.

It engages every limb while at the same time automating portions of car control that distract from the operation of the vehicle. I don't need to look at where the pedals or the stick are, it is intuitive and ergonomic. It requires enough effort to receive feedback from the machine but not too much effort to where it is hopelessly too tiring to operate. The location of the controls, the weight, the shape, the actuation range, these are all fine tuned mechanical pieces.

I don't think the future has much for us in terms of a true physical and mental man-machine connection. Get used to your keyboard and mouse.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:15 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Great math, too bad it is not answering the right question. Statistics is a tool not the q and a. What you really need to look at is take up rate for each type of car. Autos are picked more frequently for boulevard cruisers and less frequently for the sportier models.

I don't even have to think much to drive a manual in traffic. My muscles take it without ache. I don't get what folks are on about. It's like saying eating with chop sticks is too difficult so one has to use the fork everytime. I never finish a meal and complain about my forearm muscles aching or brain fatigue. Besides, working your brain and muscles is what keep them young. We are organisms not machines.

Perfect thought process! Indeed, taken seriously, the faster is better approach will lead to full automatic control of the car.
OK.
Here it is, by model for 2017 model year (which was a FULL MY and the reason I used it).

Stingray Coupe: 11,253 total cars. 8,927 autos. 79.3% Automatic
Stingray Convertible: 2,298 total cars. 2,068 autos. 89.9% Automatic
GS Coupe: 9,912 cars. 7,685 autos. 77.5% Automatic
GS Convertible: 2,046 total cars. 1,723 autos. 84.2% Automatic
Z06 Coupe: 6,197 total cars. 4,297 autos. 69.3% Automatic
Z06 Convertible: 1,076 total cars. 856 autos. 79.5% Automatic

No surprise that Convertibles (of all flavors) have a higher percentage of automatics and skew the numbers higher in the automatic's favor. However, if we take out all the cars except the "enthusiast" models (GS Coupe and Z06 Coupe) the auto/manual percentage is STILL 74.3% auto/25.7% manual.

Quick Reply: No manual trans = Garbage