Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 luggage capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Geoffrey Card
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts
Default C8 luggage capacity

The new C8 mid engined coupe looks fantastic but I have one question - what is the luggage carrying capacity? We largely use our current C7 for extended road trips and would want to use a new C8 in the same way. Does anyone have any information?
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Card
The new C8 mid engined coupe looks fantastic but I have one question - what is the luggage carrying capacity? We largely use our current C7 for extended road trips and would want to use a new C8 in the same way. Does anyone have any information?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-storage.html
and
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-for-us.html

Last edited by Bikerjulio; 06-02-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

The car hasn’t been announced yet and there aren’t any specs...so how would anyone have factual information?
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 11:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
The car hasn’t been announced yet and there aren’t any specs...so how would anyone have factual information?
Agreed, but some might have an educated guess based on what other similar mid engine cars have in the way of luggage capacity.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Agreed, but some might have an educated guess based on what other similar mid engine cars have in the way of luggage capacity.
As a McLaren owner, I can say it isn’t much...
Old 06-02-2018, 11:39 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Or, conversely, as Maximum Bob said years ago, GM has solved the ME luggage space issue.

We truly do not know at this time.
JerriVette (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Steven Beaver
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 85 Posts

My Cayman had quite a bit of capacity in front and back. Just depends on how they design it. No one knows at this point but those who do can't tell you

Last edited by Steven Beaver; 06-02-2018 at 05:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven Beaver:
elegant (06-02-2018), JerriVette (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:14 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Gm knows it’s customer base .....dont worry about luggage capacity...

C8 owners will continue to be able to travel long distance with their luggage...

Last edited by JerriVette; 06-02-2018 at 09:38 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
C6SNOOPY (05-11-2019), elegant (06-02-2018), revilingfool (06-04-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The ME will have, true space-optimized luggage designed to fit not just the frunk, but also the storage area behind the seats.
Larshelt (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 12:51 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Or, conversely, as Maximum Bob said years ago, GM has solved the ME luggage space issue.
We truly do not know at this time.
Given the multitude of ME designs that all have minimal luggage space, I don't believe that there is a valid or good way to solve this issue.

I am afraid that GM will "solve" this by either bastardizing the front suspension or the front end looks or both.

They can shorten the front wishbones OR, horror of horrors, use a strut front suspension. This action would sacrifice handling performance for the much less desirable luggage carrying capability.

They can increase the height of the front hood to provide clearance for "golf clubs" at the expense of aerodynamic performance and LOOKS.

Hopefully they will resist these "solutions" and just embrace the idea that people that are buying a mid engine sports car do not expect a huge trunk!

Luggage capacity is a great argument for continuing the production of the C7 as a Grand Touring car.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 06-03-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Given the multitude of ME designs that all have minimal luggage space, I don't believe that there is a valid or good way to solve this issue.

I am afraid that GM will "solve" this by either bastardizing the front suspension or the front end looks or both.

They can shorten the front wishbones OR, horror of horrors, use a strut front suspension. This action would sacrifice handling performance for the much less desirable luggage carrying capability.

They can increase the height of the front hood to provide clearance for "golf clubs" at the expense of aerodynamic performance and LOOKS.

Hopefully they will resist these "solutions" and just embrace the idea that people that are buying a mid engine sports car do not expect a huge trunk!

Luggage capacity is a great argument for continuing the production of the C7 as a Grand Touring car.
Having owned a mid engine sports car I can not without a doubt state having proper luggage space is not a design impossibility.

Where do people make this stuff up.?

Sure it will be different than today’s front mid engine cars in that engine is in the middle and the trunk is in the front of the car...

Add in the fact even the new NSX v6 hybrid electric has a rear trunk as well...

For those who travel long distance the worst case scenario is you MIGHT have to invest in some soft luggage...

Don’t worry so much as GM will probably offer fitted hard luggage as an extra cost option if you really need to get use of every square inch of space...

We are talking about the corvette design team from General Motors...we are NOT talking about the Mickey Mouse club from the Alfa’s 4c...

GM doesn’t screw design and marketing goals up of an iconic American sports car like corvette...

The design team has criteria from the marketing team and they work together to meet and exceed consumers expectations...year after year for 65 years..

Hell there’s wasnt this much bitching in 1963 when the corvette didn’t even have a trunk lid...

How in gods name did corvette ever survive for decades without even a trunk lid to put the luggage in the car...?

GM is not going backwards on usability of the next gen corvette...

Just imagine Without blocking rear visibility in the c7 that’s how much space you can expect in the c8...just imagine it might, it could possibly be split up slightly in the front compartment and possibly a small space behind the engine..

Today is a good day to have a good day...

It’ll be ok ...
Old 06-03-2018, 03:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by elegant
The ME will have, true space-optimized luggage designed to fit not just the frunk, but also the storage area behind the seats.

How do you know that there will be storage space behind the seats? Can you link me to that GM press release?
Old 06-03-2018, 03:50 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Having owned a mid engine sports car I can not without a doubt state having proper luggage space is not a design impossibility.

Where do people make this stuff up.?

Sure it will be different than today’s front mid engine cars in that engine is in the middle and the trunk is in the front of the car...

Add in the fact even the new NSX v6 hybrid electric has a rear trunk as well...

For those who travel long distance the worst case scenario is you MIGHT have to invest in some soft luggage...

Don’t worry so much as GM will probably offer fitted hard luggage as an extra cost option if you really need to get use of every square inch of space...

We are talking about the corvette design team from General Motors...we are NOT talking about the Mickey Mouse club from the Alfa’s 4c...

GM doesn’t screw design and marketing goals up of an iconic American sports car like corvette...

The design team has criteria from the marketing team and they work together to meet and exceed consumers expectations...year after year for 65 years..

Hell there’s wasnt this much bitching in 1963 when the corvette didn’t even have a trunk lid...

How in gods name did corvette ever survive for decades without even a trunk lid to put the luggage in the car...?

GM is not going backwards on usability of the next gen corvette...

Just imagine Without blocking rear visibility in the c7 that’s how much space you can expect in the c8...just imagine it might, it could possibly be split up slightly in the front compartment and possibly a small space behind the engine..

Today is a good day to have a good day...

It’ll be ok ...
The NSX does not have a frunk. It does have a 4.4 cubic feet rear truck and no storage behind the seats.

While not the exact dimensions, 4.4 cubic feet equals a 1' X 1" X 4' 5" wide rear trunk. That's about equal to around a 4th of what I take along on a road trip in my C6 coupe.

That won't hold much,, even with specialized luggage designed to fit.

If I were you, I wouldn't use the NSX to prove that a mid engine sports car can have large amounts of cargo space.

Here is what I carry on EVERY road trip.

Cleaning supply bucket-----12" X 12" X 12"

Cooler------------------------11" X 14.5" X 14" tall.

Tool bag---------------------5" X 10" X 19" long.

bag of meds etc------------3" X 10" X 14" backpack.

Cloth bag for old towels----5" X 12" X 16".

Cloth bag for snacks, etc--5" X 12" X 16".

I'll let you do the math a to what the above adds up to in cubic feet.

So, after doing the math, how much space of the NSX's 4.4 cubic feet of cargo space do I have now for two weeks worth of luggage, extra bottled water, quart of oil, etc?

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-03-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Joe joe joe...you worry too much....change is hard for you...

I understand ...we all understand..

That said why not wait until the c8 releases before condemning it...

Aren’t you the one who condemned the c7 before it’s release and now you love it..

Relax..

And besides you have an old Mercedes and now an aging corvette....that you love...

Why even worry about the new one...

You are never going to buy it anyway...

Ps..travel lighter and buy what you might need as your road tripping...

Never let the things you own...own you..

Set yourself free!

Kidding...

Without going over everything your packing...your present corvette is literally perfect for you!

For the rest of us..

Normal weeks worth of clothing for two will travel just fine...

I’m not taking my grandpas rocking chair but whatever I’ll need to take will fit just fine.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Engineering to Design Team:

Sorry, no room for rear trunk. The turbos are going there.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Engineering to Design Team:

Sorry, no room for rear trunk. The turbos are going there.

The Turbos are mounted down low on each side. It’s the intake system taking up space.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Quinten33

The Turbos are mounted down low on each side. It’s the intake system taking up space.
That info has been pointed out numerous times, but there are some who continue to ignore that little 'fact".

Thank you for pointing it out again.

Same location as the air breather on the N/A engine.

Also the cats are mounted high and you don't want them close to the bottom of a plastic cargo bin.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-03-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 luggage capacity

Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Guys why don’t we wait to see the final product before we proclaim that the c8 won’t be able to take your luggage for a road trip.

GM marketing knows their customer base. I’d be surprised if the upcoming corvette c8 doesn’t have enough luggage capacity as part of its design criteria.

Have any of you owned a rear mid engine sports car? I have and I was easily able to go with a girlfriend for a weeklong road trip.

Let’s not get crazy with assuming the worst at every turn...

Let’s at least wait for the actual end result and release of the vehicle before we bitch and moan...

Like I said we don’t know anything ...except GM engineering does have a history of creating an iconic American sports car with a 65year history...

GM engineers won’t screw it up...

If your digging your existing ride..that’s cool too.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

GM marketing knows their customer base.
What makes you think they are planning this for the present customer base? My guess is that it's a new project aimed at a new buyer! If the past buyers come along for the ride, bingo!!
Old 06-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

The prototypes look very long. I'm guessing some of that is for storage space. GM knows they need to be able to store enough items for road trips and everyday needs in order to sell these cars.

Quick Reply: C8 luggage capacity