Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Euro Rendering + others

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I prefer this one. Thanks FVS.
to me it still looks too close to the Acura NSX

Last edited by Ted P; 06-06-2018 at 12:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

My favorite rear mid-engine "Corvette":

And my favorite mid-engine Corvette pic:

Don't forget that FRONT mid-engine is also a mid-engine layout - so long as the engine mass is between the axle centerlines. I suppose you could argue that the Corvette has been mid-engine since the C4. Certainly this oft-overlooked detail is significant to the models' performance pedigree.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:56 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
My favorite rear mid-engine "Corvette":
And has such a narrow cabin that GM would never even consider making a consumer version.

And my favorite mid-engine Corvette pic:

Don't forget that FRONT mid-engine is also a mid-engine layout
A) yes it if FME
B) no it does not have the traction nor the balance of a RME.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:33 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
B) no it does not have the traction nor the balance of a RME.
-True. A small difference, but certainly true.

However I have found that there is a subtle benefit to the driver's seat being close to the rear axle - something I discovered when I bought my Z4 M Coupe. As the slip angle most concerning is the rear axle's, and the pivot point is most easily understood as the front axle, the further rearward the driver's seat the more clearly one feels any lateral movement of the rear axle. It's like having a longer sight radius on a gun (a rifle vs. a pistol). I was surprised how much more confidence and precision it gave me in controlling the car's balance. As ME cars have at-best a mid-wheelbase seating position, and usually forward of that, they do have a "driver's car" disadvantage.

This may sound like a petty argument but I think it highlights the real evolution going on, often unspoken, between GM and buyers with the C8 project. We will (most likely) see a shift from: Manual transmission, RWD, non-turbo power, and GT practicality to a ME car that will be statistically superior in every way. This will beg the question: What IS a Corvette? What SHOULD it be? What do buyers REALLY want. We will see.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Another ME rendering favorite of mine is this one — also done by FVS (and as noted by FrankLP, is also based on good information)
This I think is a close render, The only thing I see wrong here are the rear scoops they are to wide horizontally.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Palantirion
-True. A small difference, but certainly true.

However I have found that there is a subtle benefit to the driver's seat being close to the rear axle - something I discovered when I bought my Z4 M Coupe. As the slip angle most concerning is the rear axle's, and the pivot point is most easily understood as the front axle, the further rearward the driver's seat the more clearly one feels any lateral movement of the rear axle. It's like having a longer sight radius on a gun (a rifle vs. a pistol). I was surprised how much more confidence and precision it gave me in controlling the car's balance. As ME cars have at-best a mid-wheelbase seating position, and usually forward of that, they do have a "driver's car" disadvantage.

This may sound like a petty argument but I think it highlights the real evolution going on, often unspoken, between GM and buyers with the C8 project. We will (most likely) see a shift from: Manual transmission, RWD, non-turbo power, and GT practicality to a ME car that will be statistically superior in every way. This will beg the question: What IS a Corvette? What SHOULD it be? What do buyers REALLY want. We will see.
One more in a long set of good arguments why Corvette owners/buyers/potential buyers would benefit from the brand expanded into two variants -- the traditional version with more of a "GT" marketing push, priced at or somewhat below today's range (and raced at the GT2 level or whatever it is now called by well-connected independents ala Porsche) and a mid-engined ZORA which is a top-dog Ferarri-hunter starting just under $100K and raced at IMSA's top sports car level under Fehan or his successor.

Now there are many good arguments why this might not work for GM, but that's not my interest as a fan of the cars and Corvette Racing!
Old 06-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
One more in a long set of good arguments why Corvette owners/buyers/potential buyers would benefit from the brand expanded into two variants -- the traditional version with more of a "GT" marketing push, priced at or somewhat below today's range (and raced at the GT2 level or whatever it is now called by well-connected independents ala Porsche) and a mid-engined ZORA which is a top-dog Ferarri-hunter starting just under $100K and raced at IMSA's top sports car level under Fehan or his successor.

Now there are many good arguments why this might not work for GM, but that's not my interest as a fan of the cars and Corvette Racing!
-I agree completely.

Quick Reply: New Euro Rendering + others