Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME: Two Different ME Price Reveal Scenarios

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:14 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default ME: Two Different ME Price Reveal Scenarios

When do you think we will learn the MSRP of the 2020 mid engine Corvette? The two major scenarios I can think off, involve either a “ballpark” or an actual sticker price at its reveal.

* In LA last November for the ZR1’s reveal, we heard the exact MSRP prices, and nicely, the amounts of its major options. We could similarly get such exact pricing at the ME’s initial reveal. However, at the Stingray’s Reveal however, we only heard a “ballpark pricing” phrase.

* More likely than a specific amount IMO, as we were reminded by f-16pilotTX, we instead would at the ME’s reveal hear the intro-pricing-phrase that we have heard a few times before from Tadge and Harlan, though somewhat modified, this time being something like:

“If you could afford a moderately-loaded Grand Sport, you will be able to afford the entry ME.”

That latter option results in a probability of us learning the actual MSRP pricing at next April’s BASH — for when GM has not announced a new model’s actual MSRP’s before the BASH, they have, with just one exception in the last roughly ten years, announced it then.

One year the first customers even had to order their cars without sticker pricing. That would be especially dicey for such a massively-changed Corvette, and I just do not think GM would do that for the ME.

I believe that 2020 C7 exact pricing will be announced at the BASH. Would GM want to similarly announced ME pricing then or earlier?

Following the BASH, I expect ordering to start in May, with first customer orders arriving at dealerships in the August 15-to-September 30th window.

When do you think we will learn ME sticker pricing?

BTW, the NAIAS ME reveal is less than 225 days away. (When I first calculated it, it was coincidentally exactly three times that.)

Last edited by elegant; 06-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
-vet (06-11-2018), tbrenny33 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

My guess is that they will 'ball park' the price at the reveal..... hopefully Detroit. This is such a big deal that I really don't think they will have all their marketing plans / strategy nailed down and approved before January. Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release the actual MSRP until they send out the ordering information in the 2nd half of next year.

That being said, I'm pretty sure you will not see the MSRP of a nicely equipped ME much under $100K. (....although I won't complain if it is!)
Old 06-03-2018, 11:46 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
My guess is that they will 'ball park' the price at the reveal..... hopefully Detroit. This is such a big deal that I really don't think they will have all their marketing plans / strategy nailed down and approved before January. Beyond that, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't release the actual MSRP until they send out the ordering information in the 2nd half of next year.

That being said, I'm pretty sure you will not see the MSRP of a nicely equipped ME much under $100K. (....although I won't complain if it is!)

And that depends on whether it's a replacement for the C7, which will occur as new models are released over two or three years, or it's an addition to the FE Corvette line. If its the C8, base price less than $70K. If it's an additional model, base price about $90K.

My guess is the former.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (06-05-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 12:22 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Revealing a new model at your manufacturing plant?

There is no doubt that the Geneva Auto Show is one of the top five in the world, with the Ferrari Pista and many other special models debuting there this past March. But even the Geneva Show has its “pull outs.”

Originally Posted by AutoSpies
Volvo Pulls Out Of 2019 Geneva Motor Show - Will Debut New S60 At South Carolina Factory
GM, what about debuting the 2020 ME Corvette at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant?

http://www.autospies.com/news/Volvo-...Factory-96476/

Last edited by elegant; 06-09-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:41 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Although there are indeed many world stages to debut the ME, I don't think GM will break as far from tradition as the car is going to do. I'm guessing Detroit 2019, and with fewer manufacturers to steal the spotlight, all the better for the new Corvette.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:55 PM
elegant
Safety Car

What if, starting July 4th, and every Wednesday morning @ 10:00 CST thereafter, GM shared one ME fact or one tiny ME picture on a special web site? That would generate buzz.

So on July 4th, we could first get a simple but powerful announcement in red, white and blue, with the large American flag behind it right outside the Admin building at BGA, saying, “Your 2020 ME Corvette is coming!” Then, the following Wednesday, we would get a picture of just 1/4 of the IP right in front of the driver, the following week something like its “front brake rotor diameter is 13.8” — or whatever those weekly tidbits would be.

We ME crazies would be on that GM site without fail. “Sorry boss, I can not attend a meeting next Wednesday at 10:00; please re-schedule it, for I have something much more important happening then.”

And then as we get closer and closer, they could add additional days of the week, e.g. later this fall, our getting our Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10:00 AM fixes.

GM, while I have been offered 10+ jobs since I retired, turning them all down, I would come out of retirement to orchestrate your weekly ME reveal tidbits. I would do this for free — say for mine being made the first day of production.

Last edited by elegant; 06-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.
-vet (06-11-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 01:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Although there are indeed many world stages to debut the ME, I don't think GM will break as far from tradition as the car is going to do. I'm guessing Detroit 2019, and with fewer manufacturers to steal the spotlight, all the better for the new Corvette.
Better hope that not more than two other manufacturers showcase their new SUV's.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by elegant
What if, starting July 4th, and every Wednesday morning @ 10:00 CST thereafter, GM shared one ME fact or one tiny ME picture on a special web site? That would generate buzz.

So on July 4th, we could first get a simple but powerful announcement in red, white and blue, with the large American flag behind it right outside the Admin building at BGA, saying, “Your 2020 ME Corvette is coming!” Then, the following Wednesday, we would get a picture of just 1/4 of the IP right in front of the driver, the following week something like its “front brake rotor diameter is 13.8” — or whatever those weekly tidbits would be.

We ME crazies would be on that GM site without fail. “Sorry boss, I can not attend a meeting next Wednesday at 10:00; please re-schedule it, for I have something much more important happening then.”

And then as we get closer and closer, they could add additional days of the week, e.g. later this fall, our getting our Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10:00 AM fixes.

GM, while I have been offered 10+ jobs since I retired, turning them all down, I would come out of retirement to orchestrate your weekly ME reveal tidbits. I would do this for free — say for mine being made the first day of production.
I think those first two paras are an excellent idea! And it would make a splash just on/by innovating an intro.

I don't know how else they could do it, but to make it more "universal" or more watched by others who don't even know there's a GM site, create a site with an intro ad on tv sports channels, podcasts, facebook, etc. (altho facebook might disclose everything at once or leak it to the X countries ---j/k).

Hey, the way I see it, GM's been saving a lotta dough by not running any ads on tv unless watching the C7R's in races is an "ad." So, with the intro of the "Zora-Finally" why not splash it up a bit!!!!
elegant (06-09-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
we instead would at the ME’s reveal hear the intro-pricing-phrase that we have heard a few times before from Tadge and Harlan, though somewhat modified, this time being something like:
“If you could afford a moderately-loaded Grand Sport, you will be able to afford the entry ME.”

When do you think we will learn ME sticker pricing?
The ZR1 is just another C7, so GM knew the exact price it was going to charge when they designed it - and it was all about marketing, since it had no real business model to satisfy (i.e., cost of production amortization, since for the C7 that was already accounted for).
A moderately loaded Grand Sport would be: Coupe, 2LT, A8, PDR, black wheels, red calipers - about a $77,000 MSRP. At that price, many on this forum will be disappointed, as that is almost $20k more than the current Base car (Coupe, 1LT, M7, no options).
I expect we will learn pricing at next year's Bash - no need to say anything before then.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The ZR1 is just another C7, so GM knew the exact price it was going to charge when they designed it - and it was all about marketing, since it had no real business model to satisfy (i.e., cost of production amortization, since for the C7 that was already accounted for).
A moderately loaded Grand Sport would be: Coupe, 2LT, A8, PDR, black wheels, red calipers - about a $77,000 MSRP. At that price, many on this forum will be disappointed, as that is almost $20k more than the current Base car (Coupe, 1LT, M7, no options).
I expect we will learn pricing at next year's Bash - no need to say anything before then.
Somewhere in the middle would probably be the starting price for a base car.(67k)

Get notified of new replies

To ME: Two Different ME Price Reveal Scenarios

Quick Reply: ME: Two Different ME Price Reveal Scenarios