Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Testbed postred to Sloppy Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:55 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Commercial break back to the OP topic...LOL

electrical gremlins or trans/eng mechical problems ,,and the engineers didn't want to drag it up on a flatbed

has anybody found the GM garage in the fort myers/naples area?,

seems to be a lot of prototype cars in that area,4-5 zr1's before they came out
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

GM contracted with Roush to fix some of the earliest C7’s with problems in September, 2013, and most recently this past year for its drivers to assist in public roads testing of the ZR1. Roush has at least one testing facility in Florida, located at 3538 Plover Ave, Naples. Per their web site:

Originally Posted by Roush’s
On Road Vehicle Testing: Rousch’s On-Road-Vehicle-Testing group is staffed by ASE certified technicians and strategically located in areas with extreme climate.
We do not have confirmation that Roush is currently involved in ME testing, but it could well be.

Last edited by elegant; 06-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:03 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I thought they were testing the ZR1 and the ME in Florida, as that is were most of them will be sold....to 84 year old gray haired gents and their blue haired wives.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 AM
StViperVette
Heel & Toe

Received 37 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I thought they were testing the ZR1 and the ME in Florida, as that is were most of them will be sold....to 84 year old gray haired gents and their blue haired wives.
No mid-engine layout is more for my demographic. 30-50 year old tech geeks. I am a Senior QA in the Bay Area, CA. Teslas/Mclarens etc are all the rage. Corvette will fit in nicely
The following 3 users liked this post by StViperVette:
Boiler_81 (06-12-2018), foreverfuelie (06-12-2018), NewYuriCity (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Not really the case in this vibrant area .....besides,this years hair colour of choice in Southwest Florida was actually vermilion ,
blue was last year.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by StViperVette
No mid-engine layout is more for my demographic. 30-50 year old tech geeks. I am a Senior QA in the Bay Area, CA. Teslas/Mclarens etc are all the rage. Corvette will fit in nicely
Plus 1....
44 year old entrepreneur ,
It will fit quite nicely in my lifestyle as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM
elegant
Safety Car

We all hope the ME incredibly takes off with that target demographic group, for the future of Corvettes is attracting many more young people. It would be outstanding if in 2021, GM shares something like “2020 ME sales’ demographic showed an average ME buyer being 45 years of age.”

That would be extra outstanding to mathematically counteract that the 2020 mid engine also is appealing to a lot of traditional, retired, long term Corvette owners. As one tiny example, a group of four of us who periodically get together and take our C7’s on spirited country corner carving drives, all 70+, retired, living in the Pacific Northwest, are excited about our getting our ME’s next year.

Last edited by elegant; 06-12-2018 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:37 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by moldyviolinist
That's true, I don't know for sure.

But I did find the Tesla roadside assistance documents, indicating that it should ONLY be towed on a flatbed, and I assume it's the same technology. http://assets.teslastatic.com/roadsi...ce_extract.pdf
Same with the Acura NSX, which uses two electric motors to drive the front wheels and a separate hybrid-ICE to drive the rear wheels:

Source: https://agero.quickbase.com/up/bgm63...0Tipsheets.pdf
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
a group of four of us who periodically get together and take our C7’s on spirited country corner carving drives, all 70+, retired, living in the Pacific Northwest, are excited about our getting our ME’s next year.
How spirited is "spirited?"
I'll have you know sir, I have held the Hwy. 20 land speed record from Bend to the Lancaster Dr. exit for 8 years now.
Time: 91 minutes.
Vehicle: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8.

"Spirited," ya say?

Old 06-12-2018, 02:36 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

It is all electric and the inverter failed! The North Koreans were low bid!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:13 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

You can clearly see where the frunk will be. At the very front just behind the bumper beam and between the front frame horns and in font of the crossmember.

There is also another CAD drawing that actually shows the carso bin and it's weather stripping, but I'll leave it up to you to find it. It's on this forum.

I saw this CAD drawing long before I saw the photo with the front hood raised.

Now, since this is the only real information we have on the C8 that shows the front of the car's space frame, etc, where does the CAD drawing indicate that the battery is indeed in front.

Oh, and my C6 Z06 has the battery in the rear, but it also has a jumper connection at the fuse box under the {front}hood, to connect jumper cables to start the car in case of a dead battery. Maybe the mid engine Corvette has the same ability to jump the car from under the front hood, even if the battery is in the rear of the car.

We can either have a poll to answer our questions about where the battery is located or we can wait until the car is released and know for sure.
First, I never indicated that that CAD was not of a ‘frunk’ as it is easy to see that is the case and the front battery is YOUR suggestion that I believe is a correct observation by YOU of this threads pictures.

Second, I doubt what we are seeing in that incomplete, undetailed CAD above is any proof leading to a speculation of a front opening hood. Thus credit goes to this thread for identifying it as I found no earlier CF posts of anyone suggesting a front opening hood. Again, links please.

1) There are three ‘frame Horns’ (Why 3?) in that picture with all attached to the lower Windshield assembly that would probably interfere with the windshield wiper assembly if it is the same or similar as with the C7. The center wiper mounting point is actually roughly drawn in that CAD too suggesting being similar to the C7.

2) Mounting the rear hood brackets to far ends of the hood would be better balanced, atypical of most FE and ME, and not needing additional support to a rather thin bar when substantial structure like the C7 is probably there.

3) There should be no need for an extensive firewall structure in the front without and motor and the gas tanks in the back. Could those 3 tabs have another purpose. Hard to speculate but one possibility is they are rear anchor points for a light weight, dry tub assembly for the frunk. Or, they are not really currently there in newer CADS.

4) Commonality of parts goes a long way keeping costs down and KISS is hopefully followed when possible.

Now for some pictures for interpretation

Finally, my next post is of another leaked C8 CAD that may conflict with the above CAD so that this threads pictures appear to be a better disclosure of the hood opening issue.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Whisky
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

A friend text me photos of it this morning in traffic. It was (is) in SW Florida. After I told him that it got towed he looked it up and saw that it was a local towing company and he knew the owner. Owner told him it was here for a few weeks for hot weather testing and then to Germany for Autobahn testing.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

This C8 leaked CAD has a white part that appears very similar to the C7’s rear opening hood security latch that upon a frontal accident is engaged when the hood is forced backwards toward the windshield. I think other corvette generations have a similar design. This to help keep the hood from contacting the windshield and as an anchor point to aid the hood to crumble?

My point is, this CAD is in contrast to the other CAD and could lead to contrary interpretations. Bottom line, this thread is a better possible indicator of a front opening hood.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisky
A friend text me photos of it this morning in traffic. It was (is) in SW Florida. After I told him that it got towed he looked it up and saw that it was a local towing company and he knew the owner. Owner told him it was here for a few weeks for hot weather testing and then to Germany for Autobahn testing.
the plot thickens...
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Don't think there's anything they can do on the autobahn that can't be done at Milford, other than teasing the natives.

There's another place in Germany that might be more likely.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Octoberfest is still four months away.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

*sirens* “All CorvetteForum members in Germany be advised, we have multiple C8 prototypes en route to your location. I REPEAT: Multiple mid-engine Corvette prototypes are en route to Germany. Man your cameras and be on the lookout for intruders. OUT.”

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Testbed postred to Sloppy Mechanics

Old 06-13-2018, 05:54 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

And now we have these screen shots I made from the new C8 video in the Florida Wild, thanks to a CF Thread started by Keith@VetteFinders and posted on CorvetteBlogger.:thumbs

Looks to me like the windshield and wiper assemblies were carried over from the C7, probably adjusted somewhat for the ME windshield rake angle. Others pointed out evidence the overall height of the ME is much the same as our C7s. I would be surprised the suspected front opening hood does not have strut operated hinges outbound on the hood sides.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 06-13-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

So is the Excursion a diesel? What year? I wonder how many people took pictures of the Vette versus actually got uploaded on the ne where they are seen.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
This C8 leaked CAD has a white part that appears very similar to the C7’s rear opening hood security latch that upon a frontal accident is engaged when the hood is forced backwards toward the windshield. I think other corvette generations have a similar design. This to help keep the hood from contacting the windshield and as an anchor point to aid the hood to crumble?

My point is, this CAD is in contrast to the other CAD and could lead to contrary interpretations. Bottom line, this thread is a better possible indicator of a front opening hood.
I think simple ergonomics would require a front opening storage compartment. Otherwise, you'll be loading stuff over the fender. Think it's pretty much a given.

As far as the battery, that looks like a battery tray right behind the storage area in the CAD.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 06-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 Testbed postred to Sloppy Mechanics