Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My E85 wish for the C8

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 03:31 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Default My E85 wish for the C8

I wish GM would embrace E85 on the C8 like it does in their trucks. This would allow for even greater power when running E85, in naturally aspirated and if turbo even more so. The only draw back is the decease (around 25%) in fuel consumption but that is offset by E85's lower cost which is about 0.80-0.90 a gallon cheaper around here.

It would just be nice to see this, they already do it in the trucks so it isn't like it is anything new. Plus I like the smell better.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

With current oil production ability, it is unwise to turn food into fuel.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
With current oil production ability, it is unwise to turn food into fuel.
Ethanol isn’t going away anytime soon. Do you enjoy eating corn husks?
Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

for sure forced induction and e85 are a marriage made in heaven and the poor man's race gas would for sure allow a nice bump.

problem is the capacity of the direct injectors. Now that GM has finally embraced DI + PI the flood gates are open. You could even just put the e85 on the port injectors and have some fun.

it would indeed be cool and it makes sense!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:38 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I would really expect to see this on the TT versions.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:49 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Saab is the only manufacturer that I can ever remember to do it on a turbo application and I think with on E85 they made 15-20% more since they upped the boost when running the higher octane.

I just hope GM does, this really isn't a big deal to do when starting from scratch.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 04:47 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

GM did turbo flex fuel on some of the 2.0 4 cyl turbo, I think the engine was the LHU.

Unfortunately the regulations incentives for an OEM have kind of disappeared so it no longer makes any sense for an OEM to put in the extra effort. So I find it very unlikely that you will see many flex fuel vehicles in the near future.

If the incentives ever ever come back , then OEMs will start making them again.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 PM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

its give and take, the e85 has less energy than gas. It will allow some interesting amounts of boost though.

I hope they don't.

If you want to e85 your car after you buy it, go for it. If you gonna push that much boost your gonna need the tune anyway, the extra cost for injectors and sensor wont be that bad. (maybe pump too)
Old 06-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It really makes sense in a performance application to have this as a factory feature. The cost to it is hardly anything.

My C6 is set up flex fuel and the car runs so hard and crisp on the corn fuel.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Careful what you wish for. Cronyism is the substitution of political influence for free markets. It comes about when government has a lot of power over private-sector decisions and when government officials in power have great discretion over how to use it. Cronyism is not simply a zero-sum game that takes from some and gives to others; it is negative-sum. The losses to the losers substantially outweigh the gains to the winners. Cronyism destroys wealth. By shifting power to government, cronyism makes political power more important and increases the competition for that political power.
Cronyism and corporate welfare can be seen now in virtually all elements of government policy—farm and agricultural subsidies; banking and auto industry bailouts; electric cars, government loans, loan guarantees, and insurance subsidies; single payer health care; tax credits for manufacturing, renewable energy, and filmmaking; regulatory preferences for monopolies; protectionist policies such as sugar tariffs; mandates such as ethanol fuel blends; and much much more as we head towards a one world order communist state.
Just as the colonists rejected special treatment for the East India Company’s tea imports, Congress and the American public have rejected other harmful corporate welfare schemes throughout history. Today’s public sentiment that the system is rigged provides a big opportunity for a broad assault on corporate welfare. Failure to capitalize on that opportunity would constitute a fundamental loss for America’s economy and its citizens.

Last edited by Shaka; 06-15-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by revilingfool
its give and take, the e85 has less energy than gas. It will allow some interesting amounts of boost though.

I hope they don't.

If you want to e85 your car after you buy it, go for it. If you gonna push that much boost your gonna need the tune anyway, the extra cost for injectors and sensor wont be that bad. (maybe pump too)
Energy density does not matter for power...like I stated first post yes it gets worse gas mileage.

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
It really makes sense in a performance application to have this as a factory feature. The cost to it is hardly anything.

My C6 is set up flex fuel and the car runs so hard and crisp on the corn fuel.
It would be so much better if designer for it from factory so much more options.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

i have a wrx 2.0l tuned to run on e85 or 93 octane. modified the car myself and tuned it myself. slightly bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger topmount, bigger cobb exhaust, added wideband and used cobbs software to tune the car. car supposedly had 220 at the crank new, tuned it dynoed at 300 at the wheels. and that particular fact is why i dont see any manufacturer producing a forced induction high performance flexfuel car. the large disparity between what an e85 forced induction motor produces as opposed to what the same car safely produces on high test. so they sell a car that gets 150hp (or more) when on e85 but less on 92 or 91 octane gas. for the folks that cant get e85 its almost a screw you, too bad you live in area where you cant get e85, you car has significantly less horsepower compared to those who can get it.

and then you have the large disparity in performance even for those who can get e85 and the manufacturer has to engineer the car to deal with this disparity. a twin turbo v8 of the approximately the same size as todays corvette motor could approach 1000hp fairly easily.

i think its a great fuel, but the performance increase you get from running it most likely should be part of a plan for someone to modify their car knowing the costs, risks and the potential to break stock parts.

personally i think a true forced induction flexfuel corvette would be cool, i just dont see it happening due to all the complications.

Last edited by tolnep; 06-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:01 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by tolnep
personally i think a true forced induction flexfuel corvette would be cool, i just dont see it happening due to all the complications.
I know and agree with what you said, It is a wish and I think it could be cool. If there is demand people will supply, I understand E85 isn't readily available in some areas but if more people are asking for it then it will spread.

The problem with it on say my Tahoe is it is not economical to run E85, I run it to clean the engine out, vs 87 octane you just don't get as many miles per $$ with E85 in that application. However with a Vette that needs 93 octane it would be economical to run E85, even non-boosted.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:10 PM
buddylight
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
I wish GM would embrace E85 on the C8 like it does in their trucks. This would allow for even greater power when running E85, in naturally aspirated and if turbo even more so. The only draw back is the decease (around 25%) in fuel consumption but that is offset by E85's lower cost which is about 0.80-0.90 a gallon cheaper around here.

It would just be nice to see this, they already do it in the trucks so it isn't like it is anything new. Plus I like the smell better.
Would be nice do have a stock fuel system that can handle E-85 demands, I agree.

Get notified of new replies

To My E85 wish for the C8

Quick Reply: My E85 wish for the C8