Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:00 PM
Bigjsn250
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Couple of questions

First, I notice in every "spy" photo or video of the ME, it has steel brake rotors and not CC brakes? I guess I assumed two things. One would be they would need to test the car as it's going to be sold and the other is they would be standard on such a high end car.

The other question is about where they test these cars. Anyone know the specifics of why they pick certain places? I imagine they need a cross section of real driving conditions i.e. mountains, desert, hot/humid etc. Just wondering if there is specific areas, time frames, mileage etc.

Yes, I know on the second question Google is my friend, but the information you get is all over the place and I'm betting someone here has accurate information.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Cars we're seeing are the base/entry models. I don't expect to see CC brakes until they release the higher HP variants.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

You only see steel rotors because currently the base model is being developed, if you look at it historically, the higher power models get developed after the base model is released.

they test at extremes, in the summer they test in desert (Arizona, Nevada, California) in the winter they test far north in Canada, altitude tests are obviously in the highest locations in Colorado, usually also cold. Basically since they test extremes it’s locations where u don’t want to be, at times where those locations are unpleasant.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

They also test in Florida, as they are right now, for high air density/humidity with moderately high heat. They go to Germany for top speed testing on a huge banked track, and for running the Nurburgring.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

you are seriously underestimating the capabilities of blanks and good pads.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:47 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

CC brakes are only needed when driving the car at 10/10ths or hotter.

Right now, they are just tootling around trying to put enough milage on the car for various "less than ideal" design parameters to make themselves known.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Are CC brakes suitable for road use at all? Road isn't going to get them up to temperature with repeated heavy use like a track will. Until then they could be worse.

Even Shmee, who can obviously afford them, went with the stock brakes on his Porsche GT3 RS.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
First, I notice in every "spy" photo or video of the ME, it has steel brake rotors and not CC brakes? I guess I assumed two things. One would be they would need to test the car as it's going to be sold and the other is they would be standard on such a high end car.
Some believe this will be a high end supercar, but most likely it is the next gen Corvette and will be affordable. If it is in fact the next gen Corvette the base will likely have the brakes seem and the zr1 upper model will get the CC rotors.

Last edited by NY09C6; 06-15-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Are CC brakes suitable for road use at all? Road isn't going to get them up to temperature with repeated heavy use like a track will. Until then they could be worse.

Even Shmee, who can obviously afford them, went with the stock brakes on his Porsche GT3 RS.
CC brakes, or CCBs, are great on the street. Low dust, and pretty much indestructible (careful changing wheels, tho, as the rotors can be chipped). If you don't track the car they'll last the life of the vehicle. Folks who heavily track their cars will often replace the CCBs with iron rotors. They do that because rotors and pads are "consumables" on track, and iron rotors and pads are a hell of a lot less expensive to be changing out on a frequent basis than CCBs and their pads.

But for a street driver, or for somebody who doesn't mind the increased consumable cost for track work, they are fabulous.
The following users liked this post:
Ronstar (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
CC brakes, or CCBs, are great on the street. Low dust, and pretty much indestructible (careful changing wheels, tho, as the rotors can be chipped). If you don't track the car they'll last the life of the vehicle. Folks who heavily track their cars will often replace the CCBs with iron rotors. They do that because rotors and pads are "consumables" on track, and iron rotors and pads are a hell of a lot less expensive to be changing out on a frequent basis than CCBs and their pads.

But for a street driver, or for somebody who doesn't mind the increased consumable cost for track work, they are fabulous.
Had carbon ceramic pads on my C6 and they squealed a bit, but tolerable. As I recall, there was even something in the owners' manual warning about that.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red08Roadster
Had carbon ceramic pads on my C6 and they squealed a bit, but tolerable. As I recall, there was even something in the owners' manual warning about that.
Running carbon ceramic pads on iron rotors is a different animal than the CCBs on C6 ZR1s, C7 Z07s and C7 ZR1s. Those are entirely different brake set-ups. I've got a C6 ZR1 with the CCBs. They've never made a peep. Most of them don't. You do hear about a few that do. Of those, a proper burnishing usually clears it up.

Then again, you'll hear a handful of iron brake owners speak of noise as well.

Noise on either type is of such a low occurrence, it's a non-issue for either one IMO.

To the OP's questions - I think we'll see CCBs on the ME, but probably the later, higher HP variants.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

Seeing the test mules driving around without CCBs, makes sense, anyway, because you're likely not even going to see a Grand Sport, or a Z06-ZR1, variant, the first model year, anyway.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:01 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks OnPoint, for being on point.

Last edited by elegant; 06-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of questions

Quick Reply: Couple of questions