Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Will The ME Race At LeMans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default When Will The ME Race At LeMans?

Good question. We know it will not be this year, but based on the below, it might not even be next year. Here’s a very interesting article.

Originally Posted by racer
Corvette Racing Ponders Le Mans (By Stephen Kilbey)

This weekend is a big one for Corvette Racing, which is making its 19th start in the Le Mans 24 Hours as part of its 20th anniversary as a team. A class win on Sunday would be Pratt & Miller’s ninth at Le Mans, setting the team up for a potential 10th victory in its 20th Le Mans appearance in 2019.

But which model will Corvette Racing bring to the party next year? Its current C7.R GTE is now the oldest car in the GTE Pro field, and coming toward the end of its life cycle. But this year is unlikely to be its last as a factory car.

“I don’t think the regulations allow [us to homologate a car next year], with the advent of the ‘Super Season’ and the timing of the way the rules read,” Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan explained to RACER today at La Sarthe. “I don’t think we’d be able to homologate anything next year; we’ll be running what we’re running now.”

Whether or not the next-generation Corvette will feature a radical change in philosophy though, remains to be seen.

“As far as new cars go, eventually there will be an eighth-generation Corvette; right now I don’t know when that’s going to be,” Fehan said. “But I can ensure everyone that when it comes out we will be racing it.

“Chevrolet and Corvette have some of the most advanced engineers in the world, and produce a great product. When you talk about mid-engined and front-engined, I look over at our friends from Ferrari, who have introduced their fastest production car ever, and they’ve done it with a front-engined car.

“There’s a lot of speculation whether or not the next Corvette will be mid-engined or not. But we won’t find that out until we find out when or if they’re going to build one.”

There is another question mark too, and that’s surrounding the 2020 and 2024 top class regulations set to be released by the ACO tomorrow at Le Mans. It looks as if the new top class will feature prototypes that look like hypercars, leaning more toward a GTP formula and away from what we’re used to with the current LMP1 breed.

And crucially, with the C7.R likely to continue racing next year, Corvette has time to decide on its future.

Fehan is intrigued by the potential of the 2020 regulations, and rather than rule out Corvette making the big step into the top class, everyone involved in the program will take a step back and consider if a change of direction is the right move after tomorrow’s conference.

“Every year we step back, and globally we look at what developments have taken place in racing, where we can best showcase our product,” he told RACER. “And we will do that after the rules and philosophies are released and they have a blueprint for where they want to go. I can guarantee you that we’ll go away and evaluate it, and see if it fits our plans. You can never rule anything in, or out.

“Right now it would be too soon to say because we haven’t seen them. But it would be unfair to say we’re not interested in doing that. Every year we look where we can go, and the objective is to find the right place.

“Sometimes it makes sense to move to something else, sometimes it makes sense to continue on the road you’re going down. We’re not ruling anything out; an overall win at Le Mans is a unique situation, and when you look at the intent of the past, efforts to create something unique became too expensive. This move, to the credit of the sanctioning bodies, is to find something that’s more affordable and technologically representative of where you want to go, with proper brand identification, so it would stand a better chance of attracting manufacturers.

“But, I’m sure that there will still be manufacturers who continue to run both [in GTE and in the top class]. Porsche is a prime example, with a big customer race program, and they’ve shown in the past that they can do both.”

In the meantime, the C7.R GTE is here to stay, racing in IMSA and at Le Mans. A full-scale WEC attack in GTE for the brand is still unlikely. While desirable, it would require “the separate GM companies [from outside of the North American arm] coming together, which isn’t easy to do.”

There is a chance Corvette could defend its home turf in the WEC’s race at Sebring next year, as it did before when the WEC raced with IMSA at Circuit of The Americas in 2014.

“Everything is on the table,” Fehan explained. “Is it a possibility? Of course! It’s a distinct possibility.”
https://racer.com/2018/06/14/corvett...e-mans-future/

Last edited by elegant; 06-14-2018 at 08:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by elegant:
-vet (06-15-2018), ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2018), pdpratt (06-21-2018), Shaka (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:33 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

Better LeMans than Lemons!

https://24hoursoflemons.com/concours-d-lemons/
Old 06-14-2018, 09:40 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

Maybe Chevrolet will have the new ME Zora in the GTLM class and the FE C7R in the GTD class with the new FE C8R entering in 2022.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 PM
elegant
Safety Car

I like your idea skank. It would be wonderful to additionally have factory team in the GTD class!
Old 06-15-2018, 01:44 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Corvette Racing has ALWAYS raced in the top GT class.
If GM wants Corvette to be the best, it's where it belongs....racing in the world's premier class for Sportscars.

FWIW, I believe the ME will be next season's CR car.
There, I said it.

Last edited by sunsalem; 06-15-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:46 AM
ZL1 and ZR1
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sound like GM is interesting WEC GTP category, which will replace flagship of LMP1, is like GTE based production car. Many automakers are interesting GTP including Ford, Ferrari, and Mclaren.

GM already has C7 GT3 which calls Callaway Corvette C7 GT3-R, is now being allowed to race in IMSA GTD class. As IMSA GTD is customer team only, factory team is banned. Callaway needs buyer to help them.

Last edited by ZL1 and ZR1; 06-15-2018 at 04:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
-vet (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:25 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

I think the fact is, Corvette is in limbo deciding what to do with the fact that there will now be two distinct variations in the Corvette lineup...front engine and mid engine, and the final decision has not been made on what to do with what.

As Doug has said, you can only homologate every 3 yrs at minimum, and I think it'd be likely that the ME will come out, then we will probably see the Front engine C8 variant follow within 2 yrs. Do you NOT race the front engine variant at all?

Gavin and Fehan both, in separate interviews made it clear, something is being built at Pratt and Miller and will race at Daytona next year, so in terms of homologating for IMSA 2019 season, that should be fine. The 2018-2019 WEC super season has already started though, and includes next years Lemans as the finale (the super season runs a provisional one time schedule that includes Lemans 2x and Spa 2x), essentially creating a lockout for the upcoming car.

The super season move was pretty damn savvy, you have to admit. It had a full season lock in requirement that really buys WEC time in the wake of Porsches departure. I don't think they like the fact that Corvette Racing uses Lemans for marketing return but doesn't invest in WEC full season (like Ford GT).

I think it's clear that GM has to make some very clear decisions about its program. I think the door is opened for Callaway to run a pro team...somewhere, in tandem with Pratt (each potentially choosing a platform), but I'm betting there is a lot of internal decision making happening as to what works for GM best, and Corvette as a brand.

I think the article clearly shows, a lot is possible, but Doug Fehan doesn't know any of what that is yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Shaka (06-15-2018), skank (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Here's a very similar article from a different source. Doug pretty much closes the door on having a next gen car ready for 2019.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/0...e-forward.html

Theoretically, if the new Corvette was announced, could you run a racing version as early as next year?
“I don’t think the regulations allow it. With the advent of the ‘Super Season’ and the timing of the way the rules read, I don’t think we’d be able to homologate anything next year. We’ll be running what we’re running now.”

Last edited by Jeff V.; 06-15-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default From the horse's mouth

Fehan says C7.R will continue next year:

“I don’t think the regulations allow [us to homologate a car next year], with the advent of the ‘Super Season’ and the timing of the way the rules read,” Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan explained to RACER today at La Sarthe. “I don’t think we’d be able to homologate anything next year; we’ll be running what we’re running now.”

Doug goes on to imply that the C7.R will carry on in IMSA next year, too...

Source > https://racer.com/2018/06/14/corvett...e-mans-future/
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Here’s an interesting related article. Since this new class will require all entrants to have cars that look just like their brand’s sports car for sale, with aero “mostly underneath” the car, might the ME.R/C8.R choose to race in this class sometime in the next few years?

Originally Posted by Motorsports
WEC fleshes out 'hypercar' vision for 2020 rules. (By Tom Errington)

The FIA World Endurance Championship has revealed more details for its 2020 LMP1 successor in its presentation of provisional new rules for the category.

The WEC has yet to formally name the top-class tier that will be introduced for 2020 with the regulations set to be finalised in November.

The championship has revealed that the new category will revolve around “hypercars, supercars, luxury GTs or concept cars” which will make the machines immediately identifiable to a marque.

Manufacturer design must take “precedence” over aerodynamics, with efficient aerodynamics set to be mostly generated from the underbody of the car.

Cost cutting was a key point of the presentation, although specific numbers were not revealed beyond reaffirming that costs will be a quarter of “recent” LMP1 budgets.

The costs will be controlled by a new homologation procedure and technical rules that will “naturally reduce” budgets.

WEC also outlined that the top class will be in place for five years with the championship believing that stability will prove attractive to manufacturers.

The 2020 top class will continue to be hybrid-powered, with a single KERS unit in the front of the four-wheel drive cars and a target of 3m20s laptimes has been outlined at Le Mans on limited fuel.

Any KERS system developed by constructors will have to be used on production cars at a pre-defined price. There will also be no restrictions on engine selection with WEC wanting the “ideal world” of engine variance.

The hybrid system designed by manufacturers will be available to all privateers at a designated price, with a common ECU fitted.

FIA president Jean Todt said: “The new regulations for the FIA World Endurance Championship, which come into effect for the 2020/21 season, are the result of hard work between members of the FIA, ACO, manufacturers and teams.

“This will provide endurance racing with a long-term, stable platform while continuing to offer a cost-effective stage to showcase future technologies.”

WEC boss Gerard Neveu added that cost-effectiveness was key to the new rules.

“The direction for the new regulations announced today jointly by the ACO and the FIA is a supremely positive one," said Neveu. "The 2020-24 regulations are, for competitors, both technically interesting and sustainable, with the controlled budgets being a key factor.

"We are confident that we will welcome an increased number of world-class manufacturers and international teams to the WEC and that all the elements are in place for them to be able to compete at the highest level, with the pinnacle, of course, being the 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

WEC confirmed that the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship has been present in the formulations of the new rules.

Motorsport.com previously reported that Toyota, McLaren, Aston Martin, Ferrari and Ford were also present in new rules discussions.
https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...-2020-1046182/

Last edited by elegant; 06-15-2018 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:34 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Qualified entries are published in February of the year of the race. The qualifying process for new cars can begin 2 years before that.

Get notified of new replies

To When Will The ME Race At LeMans?

Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Since the new rules for all classes come into effect for 2020, it would make no sense for GM to try and make the C8 compliant (if it even could) with the 2019 rules instead of 2020-2024.

Quick Reply: When Will The ME Race At LeMans?