Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 price will be around $100,000

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
Competing in a class like LMP1 shouldn’t be considered until that happens, in my opinion.
Additionally, GM has no reason to put much effort into an LMP1 or LMP2 car. Those classes compete all across Europe, which is great publicity for manufacturers, but GM isn’t in Europe anymore. They’d show up and win a championship, boast about their engineering and design, but offer nothing more than Corvette Racing merchandise for the European consumers to purchase. If GM brings the Corvette when it makes its way back to Europe, we could potentially see factory-backed full-time Corvette Racing teams in WEC. That’s a big “if”.

Last edited by Quinten33; 06-18-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
What a bunch of great posts by everyone. I just think the price will be 100k as GM really wants to take the Corvette to the super car level. Phasing out the C7 over the next couple of years so everyone gets used to the high priced Zora models.

It makes sense but does suck for the 65k car guys. I might be wrong but well have to see.

Good luck to anyone getting one. Cant wait to see some on the roads !!!!!
Thanks Yarbie for the luck wishes,appreciate the show of class.

I’m not sure it really works that way,
GM can’t just decide to move a product up market by entering the 100 000 $ plus segment.

It doesn’t really guarantee them much,seems a little risky.

Besides ,read the forum...
the 100k to 150k guys are putting a lot of pressure on GM,
They set the standard very high ,are very demanding,
they definitely aren’t that numerous ,...heck , they’re not even loyal... they even dare to go to other brands in those price ranges.

I’m sure Gm is just can’t wait to sell 2500 cars to those guys worldwide...and NONE to everyone else.

This is the way it works,
between 80000 -100000 units sold in the first 3 years,
GM gets the opportunity to raise prices 15 to 20%.
SOME of us will be able to get one at 65k,
base 1lt coupe.....
Many of us ,(although according to you...we can’t afford it)will add options like crazy average 12 to 18k of options...
Just to put things into perspective ,it’s like creating beatlemania.

Not to worry ...
everybody wins with this formula,
even the 100k -150k guys....

After a couple of years GM takes, my exact mid engine chassis,
tacks on a couple of wings ,almost doubles the horsepower,(which,at most... will better the 0-60 time by 0.7 seconds)adds a little weight and sells it to some very exclusive members at more the double the price.

And that’s a couple of years after myself and about 75000 corvette buyers have absolutely pleasured our selves and start to get bored,if you will ....
of our car.

Mathematics prevail....And snubbing down is only false perception .

The following users liked this post:
skank (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:17 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

i get the giggles when i read all of the posts thinking this is going to be a C7 ish priced car.
These folks are the ones that need it to be priced that low as they cant afford a 100k car.

I get the giggles when guys like you post things like this, sans crystal ball, and are actually serious when doing so.

That's enough Miller Lite for you today rock.

Last edited by Movie Muscle; 06-19-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:47 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

What a bunch of great posts by everyone. I just think the price will be 100k as GM really wants to take the Corvette to the super car level. Phasing out the C7 over the next couple of years so everyone gets used to the high priced Zora models.

It makes sense but does suck for the 65k car guys. I might be wrong but well have to see.

Good luck to anyone getting one. Cant wait to see some on the roads !!!!!
The Corvette is already at the "supercar" level, if you speak in terms of available performance. Yes, the ZR1 is over the $100K mark, and the Z06 is pretty close with all the boxes checked. But that is not the bread and butter, financially for the Corvette, it is the tens of thousands of the $65K models that are the b&b.

Now, if by ""supercar" you're talking about exotic interiors, and that kind of stuff, no, they're not going to go in that direction. You see, people that buy Ferrari's are still going to buy Ferrari's and such. Not because that car is better, but because it's a Ferrari. They're not going to cross shop to a Chevrolet regardless of how "good" the car is. Folks that can drop $300K or better on a sports car do so because they can, and they want to flaunt that they can. "Bargain performance" is not in their vocabulary.

If this mid engine car is going to be in the $100K range, then it is going to be for the purpose of creating a car that outperforms the ZR1, completely separate from the traditional FE car.

If the mid engine car is going to be the future of all Corvette's then it will be attainable to it's current demographic. GM is smarter than that.
The following 3 users liked this post by lt4obsesses:
Bikerjulio (06-19-2018), CorvetteBrent (06-19-2018), dcbingaman (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:39 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
I love the Corvette, but if they price it over $150K, Ill be meandering over to the McLaren Site, and checking out a year or two old 570S. Ive seen them for $165K. Ill be checking those out, as well.
Could check out a used Ferrari Italia, too. Don't know what those prices will be in a year, but some of them are in the $165K - $170 range, and I noticed one at a sports/exotic car dealership for a shade under $150K. Granted, it was only a 2012, but 0-60 in 2.9 seconds from a 4.5 liter engine with no supercharger or turbo still impresses me. Of course, the maintenance costs are probably out of this world compared to any Corvette.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:55 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default OHV TT 5.5ltr ME C8R/base Homogolation! ;)

This is The American Sports Car!

(3,200lb inertia, 7500rpm mid range, and/or Autonomous chassis Embedded Active Handling, which, allows more for the cheaper/streetable consumables IE SS tires and Iron Brakes; Everyone's!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-19-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:24 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

We have enthusiasts here. However, not as many people as you think in the real world will or can spend $100k on the base Vette. I can afford it, but wouldn't buy one myself.

I don't believe for a moment that the high pricing structure is going to happen, but if it does, sales will be cut at least in half.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:58 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My guess, profit margin priced not to exceed Q3 but >Q2.

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
dcbingaman (06-19-2018), elegant (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ltomn
An alternative way of looking at this is: they do not plan on a sales model of 33,000 cars. The ME is, as many have conceptualized, an additional model. The mere fact that they can build it on the same line, via skillet use, is cream. That appreciably reduces the cost but the added goods that have been seen on CAD drawings, is expensive.
That's complete horse manure.

We are seeing a 'BASE' ME Vette being tested. There is no FE C8.
JerriVette (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM
PuckDracon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Arguing over price on a car that we know nearly nothing about its performance and features is meaningless.

It could be only slightly better than a base C7 but only cost $65k, and we would think that is great...or it could blow us out the water and be a World Beater and at $100k we would call it a bargain.

Too early to argue price bracket when we don't know its performance bracket.
JerriVette (06-20-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Continued massive overtime, year after year, does not help economies of scale, especially when that overtime leads to massive oversupply, with then the manufacturer needing to add massive “flex” (incentive) cash to keep sales up. (Exception not this year’s 200/month ZR1 production.)

Instead produce enough of your product to amortize development costs, coupled with pricing it to make it a great, sustainable profit, continuing to produce one less vehicle per year than long term sales demand.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

1. If there is no OHC engine in the works the need for a mid-engine is not there.
2. The high-hp engine has enough heat problems without putting it in a confined space such as midships.
3. The weight balance of the C7 is pretty good as is.
4. The mid-engine car running around for awhile now isn't even proven to be a Vette.
5. Even if the mule running around is a Vette, they could still hold off for a couple more years.
6. The $480 million dollars spent on Bowling Green recently needs to be recouped. Can't do that on a $100k car that's going to limit volume unless the paint line upgrade is put in place in all other facilities and intended for ALL GM models.
Just throwing some more stuff into the fire for further speculation.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJoy
1. If there is no OHC engine in the works the need for a mid-engine is not there.
2. The high-hp engine has enough heat problems without putting it in a confined space such as midships.
4. The mid-engine car running around for awhile now isn't even proven to be a Vette.
5. Even if the mule running around is a Vette, they could still hold off for a couple more years.
6. The $480 million dollars spent on Bowling Green recently needs to be recouped. Can't do that on a $100k car that's going to limit volume unless the paint line upgrade is put in place in all other facilities and intended for ALL GM models.
The weight distribution of the front engine Corvette can easily be improved from ~50/50 to ~47/53, with a redesign.

Use the same DCT transaxle(transmission that is behind the differential vs in front of the differential as is with the current C7) that will be used in the mid-engine in a front engine design C8.

That would allow the passenger compartment, and the front mounted engine to be moved closer to the rear axle by 5-6 inches placing more weight on the rear wheels and less weight on the front wheels. Plus, when the driver gets in the front engine C8 with the passenger compartment moved rearward(vs the current C7), more of his weight will be on the rear wheels vs the present C7 and the proposed mid engine car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-19-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by elegant
Continued massive overtime, year after year, does not help economies of scale, especially when that overtime leads to massive oversupply, with then the manufacturer needing to add massive “flex” (incentive) cash to keep sales up. (Exception not this year’s 200/month ZR1 production.)

Instead produce enough of your product to amortize development costs, coupled with pricing it to make it a great, sustainable profit, continuing to produce one less vehicle per year than long term sales demand.
This seemingly common sense idea entirely ignores the advantages that market share provides. I read once that the profit made on service and parts is 3x what a manufacturer makes on the sale of the vehicle, over it's lifetime.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Especially, when there is so little difference in assembly between a front mid engine car and a rear mid engine car. So the engine slides back a few feet and the passengers slide forward a few feet. Both the C7 and the C8 need the same things all other cars need to be a car. 4 wheels, powertrain, suspension, steering, seats, etc.

Manufacturing costs between the two vehicles shouldn't be all that much different. Especially, with the redesigned assembly line the C7s are running on since late last year.

Bill
While it’s factual that the engine and people may shift places in the new ME design.......I feel their could be some significant design changes/challenges that could effect price in a negative way. Your statement is true but perhaps too simply stated from a cost standpoint. I guess we will all find out in due time who luckily guessed the closest since no one at this time has anything but an opinion.

Last edited by Dr. ice; 06-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

With what I want $85,000 will be my limit. My '15 Z51 was $75,055.00 with all the 2LT/Z51 stuff plus PDR, COMPETITION SEATS, BLACK WHEELS, NAV. etc. Seems like 85 might be too little. oh well

Last edited by Walter Raulerson; 06-19-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by quinten33

a hybrid mid-engine corvette likely wouldn’t arrive for another 7-9 years if the mid-engine corvette follows the c7’s timeline:

Year 2019: Lt1-powered stingray and stingray hardtop convertible are available
2020: Z06 is introduced with the 4.6l tt engine, and the c8.r or mid-engine corvette endurance racecar debuts alongside it
2021: Paint options change, many issues fixed, lt1 replacement could be introduced
2022: Grand sport is introduced with the lt1’s replacement (dohc n/a v8) and the z06’s body, suspension brakes, etc.
2023: Paint and option changes
2024: Zr1 debuts with the 5.4l tt v8
2025: Refer to 2023
2026: When i think the hybrid will be available
2027: Refer to 2025
2028 final year of the first mid-engine generation or c8, whatever it’s called

the next gtlm/gte-pro corvette will use a mid-engine layout. There’s no way they can win in those classes now with a front-engine layout, other than by making the winning strategy calls. If there’s a front-engine c8, it would likely compete in gtd and other series that gtd cars are eligible for, including wec as a gte car. The potential wec hybrid or hypercar class would essentially be the aston martin valkyrie amr pro vs the mercedes-amg project 1 vs the mclaren senna gtr vs porsche’s 918 successor. A hybrid mid-engine corvette would be humiliated in that class. I think expanding to gtd and full-time gte is corvette racing’s next move. Competing in a class like lmp1 shouldn’t be considered until that happens, in my opinion.
if all of that is true then gm has pulled the biggest snooker of all time bigger even than oj being found innocent

Get notified of new replies

To C8 price will be around $100,000

Old 06-19-2018, 04:42 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
if all of that is true then gm has pulled the biggest snooker of all time bigger even than oj being found innocent

omg...oj was guilty??? LOL
Old 06-20-2018, 12:19 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by RobJoy
C7 has traction issues that can only be addressed by moving weight rearward. One can do this in FE by making a smaller lighter weight engine (we would ALL hate this), or by moving the mass to the rear so it can apply its weight to the rear tires. This improves off-the-line traction and when balanced with the rest of the suspension, can be used to dial understeer out of cornering.

$480M in the plant is amortized over the <roughly> 40K per year vehicles produced. Amortized over 10 years is only $1200 per vehicle--an amount that can be completely hidden under inflation and model change.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The maximum capacity of BGA was revised downward to 33,000 units/year even with firewall overtime.

However, that just changes the math in the above post to $1,475/vehicle and does not change the validly of that previous post.

GM’s net profit per Corvette exceeds $10,00/unit (exception the last few years of a model when they, due to their earlier excessive overtime and massive over-production, have to put $6,000 flex cash to sell them).

Again, the wisdom of reducing max BGA annual capacity to 33,000 units, e.g., as Kai said, “rightsizing production for an entire generation.”

Last edited by elegant; 06-20-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: C8 price will be around $100,000