Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 price will be around $100,000

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Let's not talk fncking politics on this forum please.
There are more suitable forums for those discussions.
Agreed
Old 07-05-2018, 05:49 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I'm going to avoid a political discussion but simply agree with you. We have essentially had 5 years of steady good economic growth and naturally these things go in cycles. However some moves by our leaders in particular are not helping (where-as other do help).

I expect a significant downturn/ correction in the economy to become very noticeable to the public around 2020. There are already some outward signs, falling real estate sales/ prices for one. We also greatly accelerated our debt load and nearing that time period the middle class will see their taxes increase as their 'tax cut' expires. So they will have the double whammy of higher prices for everything due to tariffs and the higher tax rate.

I own an environmental services company (I don't want to go in to to details as I prefer to stay anonymous) and my business is going down. I'm catching clients (I have photographic proof) of my former clients blatantly breaking environmental laws and damaging local water supplies. My feeling is that they either believe it's no longer against the law, or it's no longer enforced. The middle class will also be on the hook for this as they will suffer the health ill effects, and the cleanup costs.
No political discussions required - I just don't like STUPID economic policies. The economy is Global. Imposing tariffs unilaterally is not going to solve any problems - it never has. As a big investor in the Boeing Co., the #1 exporter in the United States - it is costing me money. That's my big beef.

If they want to punish China for stealing IP and limiting foreign investment, great, but putting tariffs on Canada and the EU is just plain STUPID. I don't care about Red or Blue, just STUPID and SMART.

WRT the economy, my Merrill-Lynch guys think we are in the closing months of the bull market. The Fed will likely raise interests rates in September and again in December. The chances of a recession in late-2019 or early 2020 are better than 50% in their models. That was my only point.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
msm859 (07-06-2018), Suns_PSD (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Let's not talk fncking politics on this forum please.
There are more suitable forums for those discussions.

^^^ This......keep your posts on topic, please.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Light vehicle(cars, SUVs, pickups) sales rose 2% for the first six months of 2018 compared to the first 6 months of 2017. The C7 continues with it's downward slide( -25.3%) for the first 6 months of 2018 compared to the first 6 months of 2017.

The overall economy probably won't effect overall vehicle sales numbers and selling price(and MSRP) ,but the extremely lackluster sales of the C7 could affect prices(and MSRP) of any new model Corvette in 2020.

Unless Chevy really has a fat rabbit to pull out of it's hat, it doesn't look good for the Corvette..
Joe look at history of the recent Corvette C6 Z06 were sell MSRP plus dealer markup for much of 2007 & 2008.

When the C6 got old in the tooth GM brought out the 427 edition to try to prop up weak sale in 2012 2013.

Now the C7 is old in the tooth but just like the C7 in fall of 2013 and most all of 2014 dealers where all selling at MSRP. Yes Joe before you tell me there where a handfull of guys who shopped the entire country and settled for a stripped 1lt that may have seen a 1k discount off MSRP.

Jan of 2015 and all of 2015 Z06 sold at MSRP.

Now the C8 will come out hopefully announced in Jan of 19 with deliveries in fall of 2019.

All those C8 will sell.at MSRP all of 2019 & 2020.

Then is GM follow traditional roll out the C8 Z06 will rollout in 2021 and sell at or above MSRP.

TheN sometime around 2025 or 2026 GM will have to offer large incentives to sell the C8 until the C9 arrives.

I can guarantee that the 1st year of the C8 will sell at MSRP or above.

I don't have a problem paying MSRP for a brand new product. For some they will wait a year or year and a half to save a 1k or maybe 2k.

For me life too short as I am in my late 50's and I rather pay a little more and enjoy the car.

Plus with the economy the way it is My businesses are doing great. Had to learn to survive during the lean years and through the OBAMA Economy and now that we have a friendly business environment that learning to run thing on a tight budget has profit and growth booming
Old 07-06-2018, 12:46 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Light vehicle(cars, SUVs, pickups) sales rose 2% for the first six months of 2018 compared to the first 6 months of 2017. The C7 continues with it's downward slide( -25.3%) for the first 6 months of 2018 compared to the first 6 months of 2017.

The overall economy probably won't effect overall vehicle sales numbers and selling price(and MSRP) ,but the extremely lackluster sales of the C7 could affect prices(and MSRP) of any new model Corvette in 2020.

Unless Chevy really has a fat rabbit to pull out of it's hat, it doesn't look good for the Corvette..
With the new model C8 coming in about 6 months (end of cycle)

Would it be fair to compare C7 sales for 2017 vs. C6 2011 numbers?
I think so.

Maybe it would be fair ,as well,to compare the first 2 quarters of 2018 C7 sales the first two quarters of 2012 C6 sales.

In both cases the difference is more then 55% increase in C7 sales versus C6 sales ,for the same period.

“Lackluster C7 sales” and “downward slide”... really ???

The worst part is that if you were able to work out the percentile decreases,you would have been able to figure out what I just stated as well.

For somewhat unknown reasons,you opted for the bogus misleading interpretation of the numbers.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman

I think there will always be a decent market for Corvette, even in a (hopefully) mild recession. The C7 is late in the cycle however, and the demographics of the market aren’t helping. My point being we are seeing discounts of about $10K across the board today.

I don’t think the introduction of a new ME model will change that much. Not enough people are holding out for an ME to make much difference - the car is already high performance and a good value proposition. First year buyers may pay MSRP, but expect discounts in the second year,

The market will just not accept a 20-30 % increase in real sales prices from where we are today. Hence my estimate that a base C8 MSRP will not increase more tha $5-10K from a base C7 MERP, and real sale prices in 2020 may not increase at all !
I’m responding to this post but it could apply to many. I still will be dumbfounded if the ME car is a replacement for the C7. It makes no sense. A big reason GM can sell 35,000 Corvettes a year is that they can be used as a practical car that has a large luggage compartment and is just generally a practical car for someone who does not need a back seat.

While I suppose an ME car can be made just as practical, the fact is I’ve never seen one. There will be zero rear storage and front storage will be lucky to be half of what a front engine car has. Where is the dog going to sit

i still think it will will be a lower production second car in the Corvette lineup. Which makes more sense for it to carry a premium price.
The following 2 users liked this post by jschindler:
91ZR1 (07-07-2018), skank (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I’m responding to this post but it could apply to many. I still will be dumbfounded if the ME car is a replacement for the C7. It makes no sense. A big reason GM can sell 35,000 Corvettes a year is that they can be used as a practical car that has a large luggage compartment and is just generally a practical car for someone who does not need a back seat.
There is no particular reason the ME car can't have a generous luggage compartment. My F355 does.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Joe look at history of the recent Corvette C6 Z06 were sell MSRP plus dealer markup for much of 2007 & 2008.

When the C6 got old in the tooth GM brought out the 427 edition to try to prop up weak sale in 2012 2013.

Now the C7 is old in the tooth but just like the C7 in fall of 2013 and most all of 2014 dealers where all selling at MSRP. Yes Joe before you tell me there where a handfull of guys who shopped the entire country and settled for a stripped 1lt that may have seen a 1k discount off MSRP.

Jan of 2015 and all of 2015 Z06 sold at MSRP.

Now the C8 will come out hopefully announced in Jan of 19 with deliveries in fall of 2019.

All those C8 will sell.at MSRP all of 2019 & 2020.

Then is GM follow traditional roll out the C8 Z06 will rollout in 2021 and sell at or above MSRP.

TheN sometime around 2025 or 2026 GM will have to offer large incentives to sell the C8 until the C9 arrives.

I can guarantee that the 1st year of the C8 will sell at MSRP or above.

I don't have a problem paying MSRP for a brand new product. For some they will wait a year or year and a half to save a 1k or maybe 2k.

For me life too short as I am in my late 50's and I rather pay a little more and enjoy the car.

Plus with the economy the way it is My businesses are doing great. Had to learn to survive during the lean years and through the OBAMA Economy and now that we have a friendly business environment that learning to run thing on a tight budget has profit and growth booming
You can't even start to compare the C6 sales after 2009 to the C7's sales in 2018. completely a different set of circumstances were in effect.

First of all,look at the C5's sales, all the way to the last year of production in 2004(after 8 years of production). Then look at the C6 from 2005 to 2008(after 4 years of production). Sales were strong every year.

THEN, the economy crashed and US light vehicle sales fell from 17 million to 10.6 million annually(and the C6 followed suit with it's downturn in sales). THEN, in June 2009 GM declared bankruptcy. People were hurting(Lost their jobs, unemployed, taking jobs for less money, etc) and expensive toys were not selling. If you were on the forum back then(which I see you were not), you would know many forum members were trying to sell their nearly new C6's as feeding the family was more important than buying a new C6.

Now, the C7 sales have dropped every year since 2014. 4 years later, it is down from 35,000 to around 20,000 annually, and the economy is as strong as ever(unlike when the C6 was 5 years into production).

In 2008 light vehicles sales were ~17 million and the C6 sales were ~35,000. In 2018, light vehicle sales are around 17 million and C7 sales are around 20,000, and GM is nowhere near declaring bankruptcy because of a shitty economy.

Don't you understand the difference? I think you and pietro c7 are late to the table and don't know anything about the Corvette's history. At 22,000 annually around 1992 GM was ready to pull the plug on the Corvette.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-06-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
There is no particular reason the ME car can't have a generous luggage compartment. My F355 does.
The F355 has 7.8 cubic feet of cargo volume. That's a LOT less than the C7's coupe's 15 cubic feet or the C6's coupe's 22.4 cubic feet of the C5's 25 cubic feet.

50% less than the C7 is significant.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:23 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
The F355 has 7.8 cubic feet of cargo volume. That's a LOT less than the C7's coupe's 15 cubic feet or the C6's coupe's 22.4 cubic feet of the C5's 25 cubic feet. 50% less than the C7 is significant.
The C5 & C6 comparison to the C7 is highly misleading because of how capacity measuring changed under the EPA guidelines - the C6 is only about 2 cu.ft. larger measuring using the same scale.
Generous is in the eye of the buyer - for many 7.8 cu.ft. and an inability to carry two standard 24" carryon roller bags and zero capability to carry golf clubs (neither of which the F355/F360/F430 can do) will be a deal breaker to the touring and golf club contingents.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

You can't even start to compare the C6 sales after 2009 to the C7's sales in 2018. completely a different set of circumstances were in effect.

First of all,look at the C5's sales, all the way to the last year of production in 2004(after 8 years of production). Then look at the C6 from 2005 to 2008(after 4 years of production). Sales were strong every year.

THEN, the economy crashed and US light vehicle sales fell from 17 million to 10.6 million annually(and the C6 followed suit with it's downturn in sales). THEN, in June 2009 GM declared bankruptcy. People were hurting(Lost their jobs, unemployed, taking jobs for less money, etc) and expensive toys were not selling. If you were on the forum back then(which I see you were not), you would know many forum members were trying to sell their nearly new C6's as feeding the family was more important than buying a new C6.

Now, the C7 sales have dropped every year since 2014. 4 years later, it is down from 35,000 to around 20,000 annually, and the economy is as strong as ever(unlike when the C6 was 5 years into production).

In 2008 light vehicles sales were ~17 million and the C6 sales were ~35,000. In 2018, light vehicle sales are around 17 million and C7 sales are around 20,000, and GM is nowhere near declaring bankruptcy because of a shitty economy.

Don't you understand the difference? I think you and pietro c7 are late to the table and don't know anything about the Corvette's history. At 22,000 annually around 1992 GM was ready to pull the plug on the Corvette.
I feel that they brought the Grand Sport out about a year too soon. If they would've waited, possibly more people would have been wiling to trade in their '14's and '15's for the wider body. I'm not going spend much time looking up 'facts', because we all know there is no place for that here...lol, but if I recall correctly, the Grand Sport for the C6 was timed a little later and provided a nice shot in arm for the C6.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jschindler

While I suppose an ME car can be made just as practical, the fact is I’ve never seen one. There will be zero rear storage and front storage will be lucky to be half of what a front engine car has. Where is the dog going to sit

i still think it will will be a lower production second car in the Corvette lineup. Which makes more sense for it to carry a premium price.
You may well be right. The line in BG was modified to run two models simultaneously and they increased the plant's part storage capacity by a factor of 4. I think that means they are intending to run both a FE (C7+) Grand Touring and a ME (C8) sports car at the same time in the same plant. The use of a single line allows them to switch up the mix, depending on market uptake. I think it is too earlier to tell what will be the "main" and "specialty" models, however. They could be priced very similarly.

If you look at Ferrari as an example, they sell two lines of cars - pure ME sportscars (488 and LaFerrari), and FE Grand Touring (GT) cars, (812 Superfast, Lusso). Chevy maybe looking at the same strategy but with much more affordable cars (1/3rd the price) and much higher volume, (~10X).

The bigger risk is selling two cars into the same market space where they once had one. I don't think GM believes that they will grow annual production beyond 35,000 units a year of both models combined. That means that they are risking increasing their costs for both models above what it currently for the C7, due to lower volumes of each model. They can ameliorate this cost risk by using a lot of common components, (engines, brakes, etc.), but that may adversely impact what they can price the new model for - it may not be "special" enough. We'll see how it all turns out.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I feel that they brought the Grand Sport out about a year too soon. If they would've waited, possibly more people would have been wiling to trade in their '14's and '15's for the wider body. I'm not going spend much time looking up 'facts', because we all know there is no place for that here...lol, but if I recall correctly, the Grand Sport for the C6 was timed a little later and provided a nice shot in arm for the C6.
My GS is 2010 which was the first year for the C6. So 5 years late.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

All great points, Joe. One thing hurting Corvette is its own success. The C5, C6 and C7 are all great cars and with GM's reliability, most of them are still on the road. In light of that fact and the changing demographics, maybe new 20,000 units a year is all that GM can expect to sell. Of course, those C5's and early C6's eventually wear out, but if GM raises the price for a new C7 or C8 too high, there are literally thousands of relatively new "pre-owned" C6's and C7's to choose from and a bunch of on-line apps like Autotrader and Car Guru's to find them. Most people baby these things and so there are a ton of low mileage Corvettes on these sites everyday - Car Guru's has over 14,000 of them on its site, TODAY ! Chevy's dealer network probably has a quarter of this inventory at any one time in new C7's. It would be interesting to see how many of these "pre-owned" Corvettes sell a year - I'll bet it's well over 20,000. It may be as many as 100,000, since there are still over 1,000,000 Corvettes on the road today, (out of over 1,500,000 built.) That is a BIG market space.

What GM is constantly trying to do is keep a shiny object in our faces, and the shiniest one of them all is the mid-engine. That may be the biggest reason for the C8 - to spark more sales volume, because a C8 is NOT like any C5, C6 or C7, and so it may be enough incentive for many Corvette owners to "put 'Bessie' out to pasture" and get a new one. It may also spark more first time Corvette buyers to commit to an American car, but I doubt it will motivate very many Porsche owner to sell his 911 or a Ferrari owner to sell his 458, but you never know. They live in different tribes. That is also why a very high-priced Corvette is, still, a dubious proposition.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:19 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

No political discussions required - I just don't like STUPID economic policies. The economy is Global. Imposing tariffs unilaterally is not going to solve any problems - it never has. As a big investor in the Boeing Co., the #1 exporter in the United States - it is costing me money. That's my big beef.

If they want to punish China for stealing IP and limiting foreign investment, great, but putting tariffs on Canada and the EU is just plain STUPID. I don't care about Red or Blue, just STUPID and SMART.

WRT the economy, my Merrill-Lynch guys think we are in the closing months of the bull market. The Fed will likely raise interests rates in September and again in December. The chances of a recession in late-2019 or early 2020 are better than 50% in their models. That was my only point.

what is a big investor on a gm forum? MM or BB.....

Old 07-07-2018, 12:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Canada has huge tariffs on American food arm products...

the eu has tariffs on american automobiles at 4 times the amount we have on their products.

the only stupid thing is our politician should let this unfair trade deficits go on for decades..

believe it or not our politicians wanted us complacent so they gave us inexpensive foreign goods all the while selling out American workers in the fields of manufacturing...

id rather see tariffs then American workers long term suffer...

over time as america is the greatest consumer nation in the world countries like china..with a gdp to debt ratio of 300 percent will capitulate...

or start a war...

thats on them..

a,ericans are not suckers and we don’t stand down...

unless of course you are a bowing fool like obama who the Chinese wouldn’t even give him stairs to get off Air Force one when he arrived...

walk softly and carry a big stick...but weird the dam thing...so your economic enemy knows you mean business.

tarrifs are good...

i can easily withstand a little inflation and rise and rise in interest rates...and so can you..

lets keep young American citizens working...and get those jackass kids out of their parents basements.

let the kids get good jobs and have them buying things besides cellphones..

jmo

off the rant...on tariffs..I’m glad joec5 is here as the guardian of the c6 z06 versus every future corvette to come...

cracks me up that this theme of guardian of c6 z06 “facts” continues...

the c6 z06 is truly an amazing machine, not perfect of course, but truly an iconic product of its day.

of course time moves on as does technology..

the c7 z06 is superior and the upcoming c8 will be even more so.

part of the iconic nature of the corvette brand is that the best corvette is the latest corvette..

joe will of course find some factoid to suggest his c6 z06 is in fact better...and dare I say I admire Mr Joe c5for being so active and entrenched in his beliefs...

thank you Joe...

i may not always agree with your statements but I revell in your energy, insights and perspective.

you make this forum experience more exciting..(if we all agreed as you know Joe..it would be less fun)

Last edited by JerriVette; 07-07-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:06 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bebezote
what is a big investor on a gm forum? MM or BB.....
10 years of Executive stock options.......do the math. I'm here because I like sports cars that are made in America.

The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
JerriVette (07-07-2018), ViperFan1 (06-23-2019)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:46 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

All great points, Joe. One thing hurting Corvette is its own success. The C5, C6 and C7 are all great cars and with GM's reliability, most of them are still on the road. In light of that fact and the changing demographics, maybe new 20,000 units a year is all that GM can expect to sell. Of course, those C5's and early C6's eventually wear out, but if GM raises the price for a new C7 or C8 too high, there are literally thousands of relatively new "pre-owned" C6's and C7's to choose from and a bunch of on-line apps like Autotrader and Car Guru's to find them. Most people baby these things and so there are a ton of low mileage Corvettes on these sites everyday - Car Guru's has over 14,000 of them on its site, TODAY ! Chevy's dealer network probably has a quarter of this inventory at any one time in new C7's. It would be interesting to see how many of these "pre-owned" Corvettes sell a year - I'll bet it's well over 20,000. It may be as many as 100,000, since there are still over 1,000,000 Corvettes on the road today, (out of over 1,500,000 built.) That is a BIG market space.

What GM is constantly trying to do is keep a shiny object in our faces, and the shiniest one of them all is the mid-engine. That may be the biggest reason for the C8 - to spark more sales volume, because a C8 is NOT like any C5, C6 or C7, and so it may be enough incentive for many Corvette owners to "put 'Bessie' out to pasture" and get a new one. It may also spark more first time Corvette buyers to commit to an American car, but I doubt it will motivate very many Porsche owner to sell his 911 or a Ferrari owner to sell his 458, but you never know. They live in different tribes. That is also why a very high-priced Corvette is, still, a dubious proposition.
A good friend of mine, who is a retired GM marketing exec and was in charge of the Corvette Challenge series in 1989/90 loves C4's. He finally sold his C4 and bought a new C7 in 2015(with his employee discount). Last month he bought a spectacular USED very low mileage 1990 C4 ZR1. He didn't save his money to buy a mid engine Corvette.

Another good friend(retired college professor) who has a 2011 GS(and two 1963 Corvettes with one being a NCRS Top Flite coupe) just purchased a spectacular USED low mileage 1996 C4 Collector Edition.

Both are fully aware that a new "shiny" Corvette is just around the corner.

Plenty of old Corvettes around and still plenty of old people willing to buy them vs a new one. For most of us, a Corvette is a hobby, just like collecting old Lionel trans.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-07-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:19 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Old is good...

some like shiney new objects too.
the c8 is going to rock..

Really a new driving experience...

at the very least as corvette enthusiasts it’s going to exciting to hear about and for many to experience the c8 handling and acceleration etc..

btw...

whats a Lionel train?(Kidding of course)

enjoy,

Last edited by JerriVette; 07-07-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: C8 price will be around $100,000