Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 price will be around $100,000

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Corvette is great because it costs less than say a Porsche, but delivers the performance of a $150k+ car. I can’t see Corvette wanting to compete with Porsche at the same price point, because most will pick Porsche everyday of the week. A Carrera S starts somewhere around ~$115k I think.

Im thinking $85k for a medium optioned Z51 is the sweet spot. World beating performance at a discount from the nearest competitor.
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 02:40 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
Corvette is great because it costs less than say a Porsche, but delivers the performance of a $150k+ car. I can’t see Corvette wanting to compete with Porsche at the same price point, because most will pick Porsche everyday of the week. A Carrera S starts somewhere around ~$115k I think.

Im thinking $85k for a medium optioned Z51 is the sweet spot. World beating performance at a discount from the nearest competitor.

your dead on with this post... but I think very few people would choose a Carrera s ..(even w the new small turbo engines porsche is putting in the Carrera now)... in my view..anyone wanting a ME corvette would be choosing between that and a the 911 turbo.. looking for a cheaper option...
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
in my view..anyone wanting a ME corvette would be choosing between that and a the 911 turbo.. looking for a cheaper option...
I don't think there is nearly as much cross-shopping that some around here believe.
The typical Porsche owner is very different from the typical Corvette owner.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:10 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I was shopping for a Huracan before I decided to wait for the ME. it will be a huge savings and the ME will be state of the art.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

BUT - I have to see it first
Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Im going to back off on the 100k and say theyll be priced at 80k ish. Ive taken in all of the comments and thought some more and the entry level 500hp C8 should be less than 100k. This is only my opinion of course.
I just dont see a ME Corvette going for less. With the 60k C7 side by side GM isnt afraid of selling an entry level C8 for 20k more.

well have to see but no matter what happens it will be a sight to behold once they reveal this thing.

Last edited by Yarbie; 06-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I don't think there is nearly as much cross-shopping that some around here believe.
The typical Porsche owner is very different from the typical Corvette owner.

your point is well taken... if the buyer is mid 50's... a 911 turbo is the only option , if its within the price range...

if yo've got a 30's shopper... its a tougher choice... ME with mods... if 50-60k less than a 911 turbo...the ME could really make a strong case...
sunsalem (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by stealthy08
I was shopping for a Huracan before I decided to wait for the ME. it will be a huge savings and the ME will be state of the art.

beautiful car... excellent choice... had a yardo... it was lil much for daily... have to take too much care... speed bumps, etc.. and why a 911 turbo really appeals to me.. as a driver... but. huracan....very, very, very.. bad ***...
Old 06-20-2018, 11:08 PM
nist7
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fyreline
For the 1000th time . . . Those who know, don't talk - and those who talk, don't know. We go through this every time a new generation of Corvette is on the horizon. All will be revealed in the fullness of time, and then (and only then) will we know. There is nothing to be gained in idle speculation until then.

But, hell yeah, it sure is fun.
/thread

The only people who know will never post here and if they did they'd be looking for a new job the next day.

So in the end this is entertaining speculation. While people put forth what sounds reasonable to the amateur lay public (aka us), the true insiders who actually work in the industry or at GM in particular on pricing products are the only ones who will know.

In time the price will be revealed anyway. But it's fun to banter around and speculate between both sides. Which is what 98% of the internet is...just entertaining ways to kill some time.

Last edited by nist7; 06-20-2018 at 11:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by nist7:
ByByBMW (06-21-2018), gurneyeagle (06-21-2018), sunsalem (06-21-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 PM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by nist7
/thread

The only people who know will never post here and if they did they'd be looking for a new job the next day.

So in the end this is entertaining speculation. While people put forth what sounds reasonable to the amateur lay public (aka us), the true insiders who actually work in the industry or at GM in particular on pricing products are the only ones who will know.

In time the price will be revealed anyway. But it's fun to banter around and speculate between both sides. Which is what 98% of the internet is...just entertaining ways to kill some time.

right on Nist... I feel like 10 years old again... waiting for this....
Old 06-21-2018, 12:00 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
The cost of a base C8 Zora will be around 100k.
dont expect to buy a mid engine Corvette for any less. All the dreamers of buying one for 65k or so need to stick with a C7.
Im not buying one but i get the giggles when i read all of the posts thinking this is going to be a C7 ish priced car.
These folks are the ones that need it to be priced that low as they cant afford a 100k car.

I guess what im saying is get over it.
Sounds like Yarbie O'Gill has been chatting with the little people over a jug of the old mountain dew.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:14 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Im going to back off on the 100k and say theyll be priced at 80k ish. Ive taken in all of the comments and thought some more and the entry level 500hp C8 should be less than 100k. This is only my opinion of course.
I just dont see a ME Corvette going for less. With the 60k C7 side by side GM isnt afraid of selling an entry level C8 for 20k more.

well have to see but no matter what happens it will be a sight to behold once they reveal this thing.
Your getting warmer...

How does GM debut the mid engine car while still selling the C7?

”Here are America’s favorite sports cars ..The Chevrolet Corvettes”

Two models available for summer of 2019...
a revolutionary 8th generation model building on almost 7 decades of engineering expertise ..and also
the old generation Front engine carryover model...

Sounds sort of weird and confusing.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:28 AM
jdlev
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

We should get a pool going, lol.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nist7
/thread

Not really,You don’t really have to have insider information .
here are a couple examples

An experienced mechanical engineer has a better chance on knowing what can and can’t be done in engine manufacturing over someone that doesn’t understand how an engine works .

An experienced accomplished business person with a PhD in marketing and economics has a better chance of knowing a thing or two more about branding and macroeconomics then a high school drop out with a 9 to 5 job.

But ,I do agree that 98% of the internet is entertaining and ways to kill time .
sunsalem (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthy08
BUT - I have to see it first
Smart man...

Since GM has revealed absolutely nothing regarding the C8 (including price) there is simply no way for us to know what they will do or not do.
It's amazing how GM has been able to keep a lid on information getting out.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:31 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Your getting warmer...

How does GM debut the mid engine car while still selling the C7?

”Here are America’s favorite sports cars ..The Chevrolet Corvettes”

Two models available for summer of 2019...
a revolutionary 8th generation model building on almost 7 decades of engineering expertise ..and also
the old generation Front engine carryover model...

Sounds sort of weird and confusing.

Or this: "Here's the car we've been dreaming about building for fifty years, but just in case you don't like it, we'll keep making the old one too."
Old 06-21-2018, 04:37 AM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Or this: "Here's the car we've been dreaming about building for fifty years, but just in case you don't like it, we'll keep making the old one too."

I guess this is possible and certainly interesting..still marketing is tough with camaro zl1 up there in price..... there is some precedent though...if you remember back in like 04/05... people liked the 2500 "classic" chevy truck... and chevy did a carry over.. something like in 06/07 you could get brand new body style or. "classic body" that was also brand new... the only thing was.. the economic timing... economy was in super boom before 08 crash.. and people were buying everything... not sure if they would do that again...

Get notified of new replies

To C8 price will be around $100,000

Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
That would definitely be a different approach to what they’ve don’t to the Corvette brands evolution through out the generations.
Not to mention the absolute”craze” they’ve created with every generational change...
think C4 debut onward ,
and look at the hype and the commercials....
”the next corvette”

Definately an “out of the box” way of marketing and brand positioning.

Wild to mild
Bold to mainstream

If that’s the direction their taking,

Maybe hire a spokes person that’s a cross between John Denver and Barney the dinosaur .
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM
bebezote
Pro

Originally Posted by pietro c7

That would definitely be a different approach to what they’ve don’t to the Corvette brands evolution through out the generations.
Not to mention the absolute”craze” they’ve created with every generational change...
think C4 debut onward ,
and look at the hype and the commercials....
”the next corvette”

Definately an “out of the box” way of marketing and brand positioning.

Wild to mild
Bold to mainstream

If that’s the direction their taking,

Maybe hire a spokes person that’s a cross between John Denver and Barney the dinosaur .

hahahaha. now that is funny!!!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:08 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bebezote
hahahaha. now that is funny!!!
Thank you,
I found it very funny as well...it took me 5 minutes just to send my reply because I was cracked up ,with my head on the breakfast table.

Anybody have any suggestions on a good candidate to replace the chief engineer ????
If team corvette were to take such a change in direction it would require a new type of individual...

Quick Reply: C8 price will be around $100,000