Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Acceleration Testing [Video]

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:37 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Not to mention what’s going on beneath the car,
the hire ground clearance is there for a reason.

I bet almost 40% of all this cars aerodynamic and cooling requirements ,
come from beneath the car.
I’m not sure about heat management, but a lot of the aerodynamic affects take place beneath the car. Underbody cooling wouldn’t work unless the air enters underneath and exits through the top or rear of the car. Heat rises, so hot air must be pushed upward or horizontally. However, pushing air up creates downforce, and the front of the car would need a lot more downforce to balance that out. Then you end up with 1500lbs of downforce in a car that has just 500hp, which is excessive for a base model. I’m not an aerodynamicist, so I could be incorrect, but that’s probably what would happen.

Last edited by Quinten33; 06-21-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:23 AM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Seems to me that the yellow finish line in the drawing is wrong. It's not perpendicular to the road. If that line is wrong then so are all of the calculations.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:36 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

It sounds like a V8 with DCT trans and short sifting a little.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Seems to me that the yellow finish line in the drawing is wrong. It's not perpendicular to the road. If that line is wrong then so are all of the calculations.
You could be right. Excuse my shakey finger but the 0.1 marker lines up better with the road hashes this way. Recalculation, if true, I leave to others.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

You could be right. Excuse my shakey finger but the 0.1 marker lines up better with the road hashes this way. Recalculation, if true, I leave to others.

Good points, it's likely the hash marks are lined up evenly so that could help, but even then that would just mean the car got there sooner than we're estimating. Regardless, this car is going to be EXTREMELY fast
Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

To me, sounds like a n/a engine.
Yes short shifted.

Looking forward to more "spy" info.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yep! ;)

The LT1 upgrade most likely. It should sound like a healthy version right away without yards of pipe.
Iron brakes was it!? I believe we are looking at that $66,995 base with one DCT transaxle (Working Paddles)! eLSD same - same?

3,200lbs?

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

The road angle need to line up with the horizon angles To get the correct perspective.Even though the yellow lines May not be 100% accurate, they should be close enough.If the red lines were accurate, that would suggest the test car was doing nine second quarters!

Note the rear of the car which suggests the horizon angle.

since the car does not look like it is tearing down the road and burning tires off, I suspect this is not correct.

The 10.5 second quarter timing is most likely off as well for the same reason. The car in the video just does not look like it is bolting down the track that fast. He did not even do a proper power launch, but rather started from a standing start without the brakes applied as far as I can tell.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-22-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Firstvettesoon, your points are well taken so in consideration of the horizontal yellow line I submit this one adjusted here. Again excuse the shakey lines, two this time.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:10 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Firstvettesoon, your points are well taken so in consideration of the horizontal yellow line I submit this one adjusted here. Again excuse the shakey lines, two this time.

Your RED line is starting 10 feet off the ground. This places the finish line about 3 road lines further ahead or about 120 feet. But your RED line is about where the 1/8 th mile marker is.

The line should begin at ground level hence the yellow line following the sign pole to the ground and then left. This also adds up with the road lines if you count them for distance.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 06-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
You can't tell from that. Weight transfer is from the COG being above ground. Doesn't matter what drive wheels are used.
It's load transfer. Also, there is anti dive and anti squat geometry. Watch a C6 brake or accelerate hard`. Car remains flat. Not so much on the C7. The load is different on the mid engine and with the same geometry, there will be a certain amount of squat as shown. This binding geometry can be eliminated with damper design. An old VW Combi will lift at the back on take off and squat on braking because of suspension geometry..

Last edited by Shaka; 06-22-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Your RED line is starting 10 feet off the ground. This places the finish line about 3 road lines further ahead or about 120 feet. But your RED line is about where the 1/8 th mile marker is.

The line should begin at ground level hence the yellow line following the sign pole to the ground and then left. This also adds up with the road lines if you count them for distance.
[/QUOTE]
Time and distance from a standing start requires simple math to figure out terminal velocity. It can't be accurate though, due to the varying rate of acceleration. Google is your friend.

Last edited by Shaka; 06-22-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:19 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Almost 40%? What are you talking about? %tage of what? But anyway, you are addressing an airflow management issue which is cool. Sure, the lower the car
, the lower the pressure under it. The C8 does look a little high, the norm is 5" for a street car. It also raises Cg and drag which is a bad thing and a poor trade off for questionable cooling applications. The bottom of the car is normally not a good place to have intakes for cooling. unless there is a lower pressure extraction regions down stream, even then, it is inefficient, This Huracan has a very low false floor and therefore low pressure and lower drag. This NACA duct can only work if the airflow goes into an even lower pressure region so both floors need to have their entry below the front splitter. The flow then goes over very hot things that energize the air and provide the required lower pressure between floors. The flow is further augmented by the extraction out the rear of the car by an even lower pressure. Air has poor thermal capacity and transfer. Velocity, pressure and temperature must be carefully controlled.. The side of the car also has low pressure and poor attachment and intakes must also have some sort of flow augmentation.
Placement of intakes and out lets depend on the duty they have to perform. The engine coolant and oil radiators have to have high pressure and velocity intakes than intercooler and engine intakes. However, because of poor thermal conductivity, this high velocity must be converted to volume to conform to the conductivity of the coolant flow within the radiator. It is going to be very interesting to examine the real car.

Last edited by Shaka; 06-22-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:52 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

[/QUOTE]

You are misinterpreting what I tried to illistrate. My bad. I hope the additional arrows help to explain how I agree with you. The top red line indicated with a green arrow is just to realign my previous first illustration with different hash marks to the right thus making it parallel to your yellow line. My lower red line extends to the right of your yellow line. The blue arrow illustrates a parallel relationship between both red lines. My bottom red line only had one hash mark whereas the top red line has three hash marks to reference. I hope this clears things up because I now have a headache.

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
ArmchairArchitect (06-23-2018), firstvettesoon (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:50 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

are these even the same car?
Old 06-22-2018, 03:36 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks for clueing me in. I appreciate it!!!!

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Vents below the taillights and above the engine

Old 06-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AORoads
Thanks for clueing me in. I appreciate it!!!!
It's BS. What's the matter with you? The standard of this forum will rise immediately after the car is released. .

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Acceleration Testing [Video]

Old 06-22-2018, 04:26 PM
cobra502
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I don’t know if this will help anyone, but since I’m retired and have a lot of time on my hands, why not!
This’ is the first of the three runs made. The lines will line up on the 1/8 mile marker (I hope) at the end of the video. I also added the lines for the concept that they should line up on the hash marks on the road for proper prospective.

http://webspacex.com/C8 Acceleration Test.mp4

First run. 6.3 sec to 1/10 mile marker. So I guess it's close to your 1/8 mile estimate of 6.6sec av.
of course only rough due to perspective etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobra502:
ArmchairArchitect (06-23-2018), firstvettesoon (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 07:47 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
Sounds exactly like a DCT to me. (and I own one).

Looks like a coupe too. The cover does not flop inward as it would on the Vert. Plus I think I see the roof joint of a targa.

If testing with "lane assist" active then a signal is needed to deactivate it when changing lanes. Just a random hypothesis there.
I hope you're right, lack of a DCT has me worried too. I have a car with PDK, and to me the transmission will make or break the ME Corvette. If they put a torque converter in it, it could be bad. Hopefully they're not that naive.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:01 PM
wilfie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dpriceslc
What's the point of changing lanes during acceleration testing?
OK this is official then. C8 will have some self driving aids
On self driving cars (partial self driving) a lane change is automatic if you signal a lane change on stripped lane markers.
Also if you change lanes (stripped lanes) with out signaling the electronics figure you are wandering and steers back or warns you.
if you drift over a solid line it brakes you back into your lane. (one side braking) On MB anyway
Part of the testing going on here!

Quick Reply: Corvette Acceleration Testing [Video]