Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Design Cue Questions

Old 08-05-2018, 10:54 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

This view is as close as I can get if the known or suspected info is correct and real.

The features line up pretty close for government work...

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
CRABBYJ (08-05-2018), RapidC84B (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 11:51 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks FVS! I really like the ME you have rendered, though as at least two have noted, the rear looks a little busy. If I were GM, I would remove the “honeycombed” grills and perhaps substitute a series of parallel lines — or something similar to make it look more flowing. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by elegant; 08-05-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

The good news is that we really do not know what the details of the features are and how they will be executed so anything is possible. I am looking forward to being amazed...
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
CRABBYJ (08-05-2018), fasttoys (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 01:18 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
This view is as close as I can get if the known or suspected info is correct and real.

The features line up pretty close for government work...
I wish I had your skills with your illustrations. It looks great. One question. Why are your renditions of the tail lights so skinny with those two horizontal lines (openings?) underneath? Are they actually there? They make those tailights look out of proportion H vs W. IMO taller taillights would look much better and more in proportion as a stand alone or overall when incorporated with the entire rear facia.

EDIT: One other observation. Could the Camo pic of the ME I show actually be one without a black C7 Z51 style spoiler but rather a C7 Base skinny spoiler that is now extended to either end of the rear facia and body colored. That would be in agreement with that leaked rear facia we see on that paint dolly above. The same with that Camo car spoilers which also does not look very tall. At least the painted one shows the outer edges of that suspected low spoiler gradually blends in at the same level on either end

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 08-05-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:39 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

The actual lighting element design is unknown so this is just a compilation of what has been done in the past and in evolution of the C7 as a do me till. The two horizontal lines are not openings but merely dark areas in the lighting fixture.The actual height of the light bucket is known from the rear facia and is approximately the correct size in the rendering and can also be seen in the rear view CAD. So these proportions are fairly accurate.

for the spoiler, the only thing we really know is that in some of the camo images it appears to go all the way across and dip down in the middle but this could be a ploy.

C7pimp As described it as being similar to the C7/Z06 spoiler but who knows. I would like to see something a little more refined and sculpted

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 08-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:48 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

FVS: “The actual height of the light bucket is known from the rear facia and is approximately the correct size in the rendering and can also be seen in the rear view CAD. So these proportions are fairly accurate.”

FVS, I think that is a correct assumption about the opening size proportions, and the CAD drawing you posted appears to do likewise with a very small horizontal line underneath the headlight within that open space. Take another look at it. So could you make a version of this latest ME rear view from above incorporating changes I suggested in my last post?

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 08-05-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:23 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

From an article on 02/07/2018 thus on or before that date. Same car from the other side with a little better angle to show depth along the rear facia. Plane A sticks out from top center spoiler to the top of the lower valence center which then curves under to its bottom. The license plate bottom is on that same plane but tilts back ~1” at the top. I suspect that is were the license plate light resides as the facia above the license plate returns to the outer plane A. A to B steps in ~2”-3”. B to C steps in ~1”-2”. The arrow points to a wedge of padding that is thick at the back then tappers in to being very thin at the front suggesting a slight roundness on the rear facia corner.

EDIT: If all this is true, the ME IMO will be the antithesis to the C7 in exterior design as well as mechanical substance.
This picture showed a very obvious piece of shaped padding around the licence plate . The later "bent plate" image looks like another layer was added over the first. Makes the rear look more vertical than it really is.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:26 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Another good thread... the paint shop pic of the rear fascia is the most accurate IMO... it's what I'd hang my hat on at this point. GM did the same thing with the C7. The mfg of the bumpers for GM just happened to put it in a promo video they did... you got to see the real C7 front fascia long before anything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Design Cue Questions