Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards

Old 06-26-2018, 11:57 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Default Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards

Little has been discussed about the Interior of the new ME Zora. No identifiable shapes or design of the two seat configuration has been photographed. So far the only identified element is a rectangular shaped steering wheel. Realizing that all four models of the C7 FE have essentially the same interior quality standards, components, and electrical control switchgear, there will most likely be only one interior standard in the ME also. I personally think they should elevate the budget($5,000.00 minimum) to allow a much higher level interior quality and style of design. Moving the interior standards upscale will bring in a new buyer demographic to Corvette especially into the new ME. Hopefully they will keep the driver centric design as it create's a more interesting shape and gives the driver a higher level of control over the passenger. To me the interior of the C7 is far more successful design wise than it's main competitor 911 Porsche which has a centered symmetric dash design. We've also seen a Digital Rear View Streaming Camera on top of B pillar roof beam and centered for wide splayed view. This will require an advanced rear view mirror or at least a HD flat screen in dash somewhat like the McLaren has done with their 720S(see link below). Following the Cadillac CT6 the ME should also have a state of the art Bose Panaray Sound System(see links below) as a higher end optional sound system. Lastly, I've linked a Ask Tadge Question on the Interior Standards below for you to review. Tadge for the most part gave a great response to the question but evaded the Porsche vs Corvette part of the question. Comments on all of the above are welcome and will no doubt become heated. Let the battle begin!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...standards.html

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/01/ca...anaray-review/

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/ro...-cadillac-ct6/

http://cars.mclaren.com/files/live/s...79.jpg?t=w1

Last edited by skank; 06-26-2018 at 07:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by skank:
elegant (06-26-2018), purple heart (01-11-2019), tooold2race (01-10-2019)

Popular Reply

06-26-2018, 01:51 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

Our early 2014 'vert' with the 3LT interior stickered for around $80K. It's parked in the garage with our S63 AMG, Aston Martin 'vert' and Ferrari Cali. I'm not the least bit ashamed of the Corvette's interior, especially when I think that the AMG has the factory Desinigo option as well as a couple other trim upgrades that stickered for $15K+.... Heck, the steering wheel in the Ferrari was a $7K upgrade. I don't even want to be reminded what the quilted leather and stitching cost extra.

I'm really tired of the whining about the quality of the Corvettes interion. It's pretty darn good compared to any of its competitors, even before one brings up the ever present price comparison. I for one will be very happy if the ME has a comparable 3LT interior option and comes in around the current ZR1 pricing with options. The only additional thing I want to see is a faux suede steering wheel option......
Old 06-26-2018, 12:18 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

You will not hear a disparaging word from me on any of this. The topic of interiors is a glaring one but anyone that is spending appreciable money on, essentially, a toy certainly wants the best available or the best he can afford. My personal feelings are the better the interior the better the driving experience. If GM must do it, make it an option to beef up the interior goods. Just make it available!!
The following 6 users liked this post by ltomn:
elegant (06-26-2018), Glenmcp (01-11-2019), nist7 (06-27-2018), purple heart (06-27-2018), REZ1 (06-27-2018), tooold2race (01-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:51 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 282 Posts

Our early 2014 'vert' with the 3LT interior stickered for around $80K. It's parked in the garage with our S63 AMG, Aston Martin 'vert' and Ferrari Cali. I'm not the least bit ashamed of the Corvette's interior, especially when I think that the AMG has the factory Desinigo option as well as a couple other trim upgrades that stickered for $15K+.... Heck, the steering wheel in the Ferrari was a $7K upgrade. I don't even want to be reminded what the quilted leather and stitching cost extra.

I'm really tired of the whining about the quality of the Corvettes interion. It's pretty darn good compared to any of its competitors, even before one brings up the ever present price comparison. I for one will be very happy if the ME has a comparable 3LT interior option and comes in around the current ZR1 pricing with options. The only additional thing I want to see is a faux suede steering wheel option......
The following 8 users liked this post by tooold2race:
ArmchairArchitect (07-02-2018), Big Lebowski (01-10-2019), JustinStrife (06-30-2018), Larshelt (06-26-2018), mschuyler (01-10-2019), revilingfool (07-04-2018), tractman (06-26-2018), VetterFlyer (06-27-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:41 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you. I agree totally skank, and as I posted two months ago, that while I would like lesser cost options for others, personally would be happy to pay $5K over what a “3 level” interior is to get something special, e.g. a $15K interior upgrade.

As to the above post, I am referring primarily to the quality of the leather.

Last edited by elegant; 06-26-2018 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
purple heart (01-11-2019), tractman (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race

The difference is the material cost difference is small.

$300-$500 thrown at the interior would make a world of difference in material quality.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-26-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 PM
ltomn
Pro

Originally Posted by NoOne
The difference is the material cost difference is small.

$300-$500 thrown at the interior would make a world of difference in material quality.
I cannot imagine $300 - $500 making much of a difference in the interior. My assumption is: $3000 - $5000 will make some kind of a difference but closer to the high end of that estimate. Quality leather is not cheap, nor are the folks that stitch them into seats and arm rests. The electronics can escalate a price also! Put a slightly larger touch screen in and up go the numbers! Quality is also rendered in the electrical switches. Grab a plastic one and it rips off in your finger. Grab a metal one (Aston Martin) and the feeling is of ultimate quality.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ltomn
I cannot imagine $300 - $500 making much of a difference in the interior. My assumption is: $3000 - $5000 will make some kind of a difference but closer to the high end of that estimate. Quality leather is not cheap, nor are the folks that stitch them into seats and arm rests. The electronics can escalate a price also! Put a slightly larger touch screen in and up go the numbers! Quality is also rendered in the electrical switches. Grab a plastic one and it rips off in your finger. Grab a metal one (Aston Martin) and the feeling is of ultimate quality.
The cost difference to the manufacturer would be around that to step up the material quality several times. Stitching and design have a far higher impact on cost than the cost of the actual material.

People do not realize how cheap some of this stuff is to an OEM. I don't know about the LT1 but an undressed 5.7 Hemi was around $850 total cost back 12 years ago.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:53 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm not sure what it means to have, as NoOne posts, an "undressed" interior (guess: bare plastic/metal w. minimal foam on seats/dash), but we do need a good definition of $5,000 or $3,000-$5,000. Is this end-user/MSRP cost to buyer? Or is this the cost to the manufacturer to dress up an interior? Right now, the stepped-up "LT" interiors include other equipment, but the MSRP is in the $2K-$4K+ range. I assume it costs far less to GM to put in those extras.

Also, I don't think we can base our, "I'll pay $3K more for a better interior" on aftermarket, outside vendor's costs to buyers. Those are custom-coach/upholstery, frequently one-off designs, etc. that are very few items sold in total compared to 35,000 Corvettes sold per year (plus added inventory necessary for replacements, repairs, etc.).

Years ago, I knew exterior paint color people and they said the lead-time for decision making was not weeks or even months not only because of outside vendors but pricing. Maybe that time has been whittled down, but my guess is the details are already very, very close to finished. All the suppliers/vendors/partners are selected, and I'd guess w/in a very small range, the price to GM is set.

I have no idea what it'll cost to the end-user, but that first response by Tadge indicates (I hope) that there will be improvements in the interior. Maybe not quantum leaps, but some, just as there has been from C6 to C7. And there will be levels which will be wrapped in packages, or "1LT, 2LT, etc." with a possible, stand-alone interior upgrade package.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-27-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: paragraph
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Caravaggio out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada is a good place to start as a inspiration of quality standards. Or even looking at the new Cadillac CT6 interior one can see a upscale level versus the current C7 interior. The electronic switchgear is a area where the quality is felt by turning a precision dial. Think high end home stereo equipment with a volume dial so precise that there's no sideways slop.

https://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com

Last edited by skank; 06-27-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:15 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
...Following the Cadillac CT6 the ME should also have a state of the art Bose Panaray Sound System(see links below) as a higher end optional sound system.
Sorry, but Bose and "state of the art" cannot be used in the same sentence. Put a quality speaker (Harbeth is a good example) in the new ME Vette and maybe I'll pay attention.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Sorry, but Bose and "state of the art" cannot be used in the same sentence. Put a quality speaker (Harbeth is a good example) in the new ME Vette and maybe I'll pay attention.
Did you read the two reviews? They were pretty much a glowing referral. Anyway, I assume it will be a Bose system regardless since the Panaray system is a verifiable example of what they could do for a tuned confined space like the two seat ME Zora. And GM has a long history with Bose.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:41 AM
ltomn
Pro

Why do people try to shut you down immediately when you have an idea that isn't in sync with their own? What happened to learned responses? I expect people to do the justice of reading the references before shooting off discontent in a technical conversation? Is it me or my age or just that it seems constructive discourse is going the way of the dinosaur?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:56 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Did you read the two reviews? They were pretty much a glowing referral. Anyway, I assume it will be a Bose system regardless since the Panaray system is a verifiable example of what they could do for a tuned confined space like the two seat ME Zora. And GM has a long history with Bose.
Yes I read it. And who is (Matt Burns) the reviewer? His bio references an automotive background, no association with music or sound reproduction. With Bose's track record for being non-audiophile, I have zero faith that they will wake up one day and decide to produce a serious loudspeaker.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:05 PM
ltomn
Pro

I do not believe audiophile is a term that goes with car stereo systems. After all, the engine "music" is what one is paying for but the Panaray effort was worthy of commendation.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:17 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Caravaggio out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada is a good place to start as a inspiration of quality standards. Or even looking at the new Cadillac CT6 interior one can see a upscale level versus the current C7 interior. The electronic switchgear is a area where the quality is felt by turning a precision dial. Think high end home stereo equipment with a volume dial so precise that there's no sideways slop.

https://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com
When I bought my C7 I bought a 2LT because without caring about NAV to have Cavaggio redo the interior in much higher quality materials was only a $1,500 jump when you factored in the 3LT Price difference.

That included his steering wheel which I had and the material quality was light years beyond the seats.

Where GM did a good job was the 1LT interior, at a base price of 56K was really decent but it didn't ramp up as the price went up.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

GM would be wise to release the car with a basic interior and manual trans at near c7 prices and wack buyers 5k for a DCT and another 5k for a premium interior option. Guys like me who have no interest in this will buy at that price point and others will easily pay the extra. They both seem to be monumentally important to some.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by NY09C6
GM would be wise to release the car with a basic interior and manual trans at near c7 prices and wack buyers 5k for a DCT and another 5k for a premium interior option. Guys like me who have no interest in this will buy at that price point and others will easily pay the extra. They both seem to be monumentally important to some.
Maybe not these exact costs, but I do like the concept as presented. Basically, you're suggesting a stripped car and one that you can add to---I like it!

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards

Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

I just hope that there is a bare bones stripper option. Maybe in conjunction with a Z06 version that cuts 200 lbs off of the curb weight. I believe that I read somewhere that the base version C8 needed more horsepower to compensate for the increase in curb weight (estimated to be 3500 lbs).
Old 06-28-2018, 09:47 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
Maybe not these exact costs, but I do like the concept as presented. Basically, you're suggesting a stripped car and one that you can add to---I like it!
I propose we call the add-ons "options". I see this an idea that will catch on!
Old 06-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
I just hope that there is a bare bones stripper option. Maybe in conjunction with a Z06 version that cuts 200 lbs off of the curb weight. I believe that I read somewhere that the base version C8 needed more horsepower to compensate for the increase in curb weight (estimated to be 3500 lbs).
There’s no way that the base C8 will weigh 3500lbs. The weight gain would nearly reverse the benefits of going mid-engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Design of the ME Zora and Quality Standards