Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette Won’t See Motorsports Action ‘for a while’

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:44 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default C8 Corvette Won’t See Motorsports Action ‘for a while’

I think we’ll continue to see the same [C7.R] version for a while. Eventually there will be an eighth-generation Corvette. When they introduce that car, we’ll be racing it. But I don’t think that’s going to be for a while.”

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/c8-corvette-wont-see-motorsports-action-for-a-while/

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-28-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:37 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have copied that article here:

Originally Posted by Corvetteforum

C8 Corvette Won’t See Motorsports Action ‘for a While’

By Brett Foote - June 28, 2018 The roadgoing C8 is right around the corner. But that doesn’t mean a C8.R is in the near future.

It’s been four years since the C7.R Corvette racer debuted at both Le Mans and IMSA. Which is obviously a very long time in the world of motorsports. As the C7 road car winds down and we prepare for the arrival of the all-new C8 Corvette, one might assume that we would also see a C8.R as well. But apparently, we’d be wrong. Because according to Corvette Racing’s program manager Doug Fehan, the C7.R will soldier on indefinitely.

Which should come as no surprise, really. The C6.R campaigned from 2005-2013. And it’s not like the C7.R hasn’t enjoyed its fair share of success, going 8-for-18 at Le Mans. Thus, Fehan didn’t seem to concerned with the car’s age at the historic race, telling Motorsport.com that he’s content soldiering on with the “old” car.

“I think we’ll continue to see the same [C7.R] version for a while. Eventually there will be an eighth-generation Corvette. When they introduce that car, we’ll be racing it. But I don’t think that’s going to be for a while.”

However, Fehan sees the C7.R’s age and experience as a positive thing. “I don’t like to refer to it as an old car,” he said. “But it has many years of participation here at Le Mans, which is not a bad thing. We went faster last night in this car than we’ve ever gone before, which means that development pays off. Improvement in tires, aerodynamics, chassis – all those things.”

It makes perfect sense in a sport constantly seeking to level the playing field. Plus, durability and reliability are just as important as all-out speed in endurance racing, after all. “We know time and time again that the team that spends the least amount of time in the pit box is most likely the team that’s going to win the race. Not necessarily the fastest car,” Fehan added.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I have copied that article here:

if only “I thinks” meant anything! He didn’t say I know! Very easy for him to get out of this.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I have read and re-read the above article, yet find nothing compelling to lead me to conclude what the author has. IMO, it is more opinion than fact, and does not address the key factor in what both Doug has repeatedly publicly said, that “we race what we sell.”

I am a huge fan of Doug’s, attribute lot of the teams outstanding racing program to him. I do not see a quote from Doug in this article nor in the other interviews he has recently done on this subject saying, that when the C8.R is finished, we will hold off racing it. I heard him speak at his NCM BASH presentation and what he said there was that the two C7.R Crew Chiefs “Danny and Brian who were listed in writing as being on the agenda, are not here because they are working on the C8.R.” Harlan, sitting next to Doug at the main table on stage, winced.

Doug is properly walking the line on what he has been saying more recently after he said what he did at the BASH. Perhaps he was gently educated back into talking the party line.

What is happening right now is that the Corvette Racing Team is already or soon will be meeting with GM corporate (including the financial team), evaluating costs, racing options and more. Then when the corporate decision is made, then GM reps, most likely including Doug, will go negotiate with the ACO. Then and only then will they know when the C8.R is going to start racing. And we will learn sometime after that...
Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I have read and re-read the above article, yet find nothing compelling to lead me to conclude what the author has. IMO, it is more opinion than fact, and does not address the key factor in what both Doug has repeatedly publicly said, that “we race what we sell.”

I am a huge fan of Doug’s, attribute lot of the teams outstanding racing program to him. I do not see a quote from Doug in this article nor in the other interviews he has recently done on this subject saying, that when the C8.R is finished, we will hold off racing it. I heard him speak at his NCM BASH presentation and what he said there was that the two C7.R Crew Chiefs “Danny and Brian who were listed in writing as being on the agenda, are not here because they are working on the C8.R.” Harlan, sitting next to Doug at the main table on stage, winced.

Doug is properly walking the line on what he has been saying more recently after he said what he did at the BASH. Perhaps he was gently educated back into talking the party line.

What is happening right now is that the Corvette Racing Team is already or soon will be meeting with GM corporate (including the financial team), evaluating costs, racing options and more. Then when the corporate decision is made, then GM reps, most likely including Doug, will go negotiate with the ACO. Then and only then will they know when the C8.R is going to start racing. And we will learn sometime after that...
Doug Fehan is one the smartest, cagiest dudes in motorsports. He will not show his hand until he is ready. "A while" could mean next decade, next year or next fall. The C8.R will debut when it is ready, and Doug Fehan will tell you, (and Ford, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, et.al.) when HE is ready, which, apparently, is not now. The Rolex 24 is 7 months away. That is a long time. Corvette racing will do EVERYTHING they can to win it.....including bringing the right race car.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I recall somebody in C7R racing complain about an inadequate chassis months ago! ;)

The C7R has only been winning roughly half as much as the C5R and C6R.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-28-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

They aren't going to race a C8 until they have done a massive amount of testing and have mountains of data about the car. This is a hard right turn for GM and Pratt/Miller and they aren't going to unleash their most innovative car in decades and not have it be competitive. There is far too much at stake.

They will race it when it's ready and I don't think we will see it in competition until 2019.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
They aren't going to race a C8 until they have done a massive amount of testing and have mountains of data about the car. This is a hard right turn for GM and Pratt/Miller and they aren't going to unleash their most innovative car in decades and not have it be competitive. There is far too much at stake.

They will race it when it's ready and I don't think we will see it in competition until 2019.
Exactly. I can't believe the number of people who think the race car is going to be ready on the same day the street car is announced. The last 3 generations of Corvette race car have lagged the road car debut by roughly a year. There's just no way they can get the car developed, built, tested, and certified by the sanctioning bodies in time for the 2019 race season all while keeping it completely secret.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 AM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Exactly. I can't believe the number of people who think the race car is going to be ready on the same day the street car is announced. The last 3 generations of Corvette race car have lagged the road car debut by roughly a year. There's just no way they can get the car developed, built, tested, and certified by the sanctioning bodies in time for the 2019 race season all while keeping it completely secret.
I'm pretty sure those thinking a C8R is going to be ready quickly have never spent any time actually racing in any form. Those who have raced, understand the immense time and energy required to get a car to even get in the zone to be competitive, and then the real work to get it dialed in to be a very top tier car begins. That's the real hard and expensive work, become one of the very best in your class no matter where you go and what track you are on.

Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Doug Fehan is one the smartest, cagiest dudes in motorsports. He will not show his hand until he is ready. "A while" could mean next decade, next year or next fall. The C8.R will debut when it is ready, and Doug Fehan will tell you, (and Ford, Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, et.al.) when HE is ready, which, apparently, is not now. The Rolex 24 is 7 months away. That is a long time. Corvette racing will do EVERYTHING they can to win it.....including bringing the right race car.
So true -- I teach a class where we ask participants to put hard numbers around statements like "a while." Most of us attach WAY too much meaning and specificity to these statements -- and the huge spread of answers we always get when we tally up the responses is a very powerful teaching tool. Cagey politicians and business leaders know how to use such terms to say nothing while appearing open and transparent.

Big Fehan fan, BTW
Old 06-29-2018, 10:42 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
The C7R has only been winning roughly half as much as the C5R and C6R.
Anymore it's just BoP. Corvette Racing are a great team and have managed to figure out how to win with handicapped cars for over a decade. But if the IMSA powers that be want to, they can shut down any team, no matter how good the car, engineers, or drivers...
Old 06-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Anymore it's just BoP. Corvette Racing are a great team and have managed to figure out how to win with handicapped cars for over a decade. But if the IMSA powers that be want to, they can shut down any team, no matter how good the car, engineers, or drivers...
Oh yeah. "The fix is in".

It couldn't possibly be that the competition has just gotten that much better. Nope, couldn't be that.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Right! ;)

It couldn't possibly be that the competition has just gotten that much better. Nope, couldn't be that.

AND

Technology allows for those optimum production car variants. The best chassis is ME in a sports car. (Get over it!)

AND

The OHV at 6,500 RPM is the more interesting question!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-29-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:02 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

If you payed more attention to the racing circuit for the last 10 years, and more, you'd realize that this is not entirely true. BOP has played a major role in making winning teams and, most of this has occurred since Corvette and Cadillac introduced their light weight and very powerful engines. This years race was further evidence when an otherwise so-so Porsche team, celebrating their 70th anniversary, won. Voila, a bit more power was released to them and they cheered success. It was obvious to the faithful of IMSA and those that are closely in tune with it that BOP played a major role in their victory.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (07-01-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 12:32 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

It all kinda depends on when Pratt & Miller started on the C8.R. This car did not just pop up yesterday. There have been mules on the road for over a year, which means Pratt & Miller had the only real part they need from GM - the frame. - for at least that long. The fact that Fehan's two best engineers are spending more time working with Pratt & Miller on the " new car" than on the C7.R (which he revealed at the Michelin Bash in April) says they are pretty far along.

Having said all that, the big development, once you have the chassis, is aerodynamics. But a lot of that is done in a BIG wind tunnel in Marietta, GA that youse guys will never see. So the body could be pretty far along too. Road testing is the last step, and generally can be done in months, not years.

They are all being very coy right now, but let there be no doubt, Corvette Racing was pissed off by Ford's dubious marketing adventure called the "Ford GT". They want revenge, and soon. Revenge is a dish best served cold, so the less they tell Ford (and you), the sweeter will be the surprise when they debut the car to race. I would expect you'll hear "it's a long way off" everyday until that sweet morning the beast starts running around Daytona at 200+ mph.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:23 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default So the RSR's now being ME is Political!? ;)

Originally Posted by ltomn
If you payed more attention to the racing circuit for the last 10 years, and more, you'd realize that this is not entirely true. BOP has played a major role in making winning teams and, most of this has occurred since Corvette and Cadillac introduced their light weight and very powerful engines. This years race was further evidence when an otherwise so-so Porsche team, celebrating their 70th anniversary, won. Voila, a bit more power was released to them and they cheered success. It was obvious to the faithful of IMSA and those that are closely in tune with it that BOP played a major role in their victory.
To the technically faithful the truth is political.

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-29-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

I don’t know. The LeMans comentators seemed to know something was going to be different for Corvette next year. As for development, Mid engine Corvette prototypes have been racing for years. I’m gonna take a wild guess and say a lot of that expereince went into the C8.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette Won’t See Motorsports Action ‘for a while’

Old 07-01-2018, 10:17 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ltomn
Totally agree

Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

not a “fix” per se — just handicapping like horse racing. It is to Fehan and the team’s credit that they still do well on a much more level playing field.

since the NASCAR-types took over, the BoP has become far more important. That’s how you maximize participation.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

The C8R needs to be raced asap. The competition is already really tough for the C7R so it's time to retire it and move onto the new platform/technology.

I miss the days of C5-R and C6-R domination/wins at Le Mans.

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette Won’t See Motorsports Action ‘for a while’