Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if Corvette became a separate brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 01:11 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Default What if Corvette became a separate brand?

Now that the C8 ME is inching closer to reality based on all the spy shots and videos of it testing around the country, what if ...

Corvette becomes its own brand within GM. As part of that, GM reduced the number of dealers where it would be sold. No more mom and pop Chevy dealers with 3-5 Corvette allocations per year. The number of dealers selling the "Corvette" brand would become limited to just the mid to high volume Vette dealers like Kerbeck, Les Stanford, etc that currently sell at least 50 Vettes a year. There might realistically be only 100-150 dealers across the country that could be offered a Corvette franchise based on their current sales. Each dealer would be required to build a separate facility with service to match the high value of the brand. Limiting the number of dealers per state might make the brand more high end and valuable and differentiate it from Chevrolet. You don't see much Chevy branding on a Corvette now so why not create its own brand identity. Also, these "Corvette" dealerships would become a great place to find/purchase used Corvettes since owners would be trading older ones in for new models. I think Vette owners would feel more comfortable taking their pride and joy to a dealership dedicated to uniquely servicing them then to a typical Chevy dealer.

This separation from Chevrolet might lead to the ability to sell a variety of different Corvette models, from the front engine-rear drive (and affordably priced) "Stingray" to the mid-engine (and higher priced) "Zora" AND maybe even a line up of Corvette SUVs like Porsche and all the high end brand sell. The Corvette dealership would then be able to offer a better buying experience and servicing tailored to owners much like Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, Jaguar, etc. It would also give those dealerships the ability to create a unique "Corvette" themed buying environment complete with an apparel and maybe even a custom shop; something they don't get at a typical Chevy dealer except maybe the high volume ones. It would become a "destination" and "experience" rather then just a typical dealership. I could envision all kinds of events being centered around these Vette dealers.

The mid-engine Vette would essential become the "halo car" for the brand to attract customers into the dealership with the "Stingray" being the mainstream model being sold. Much like the 918 is for Porsche and the R8 is for Audi. Cadillac could do something similar if given a chance to have a C8 ME type model as well.

The "New GM" realizes that the current business and branding model is becoming antiquated so why not think out of the box. A mid-engine Vette and what it could do for a new Corvette brand would make perfect sense. It's exactly what Corvette would need to launch its own separate identity. Taking it one step further, what if GM did a Cadillac/Corvette partnership so that in one dealership you could have both high end luxury AND sports cars (again, think Porsche and MB with their line ups). That might be thinking too outside the box but I could envision it being looked at down the road, especially with Caddy and their "V" models. The only missing link there is Camaro (i.e. Z28 and ZL1). Maybe those would become Chevy's halo vehicles.

The C8 ME might not just another model but the first step in the process of taking Corvette to the next level and more on par with the high end sports cars it's competing with. I think it's pretty exciting stuff!

Just my thoughts ... YMMV. Would be interested to hear what forums members think of this idea.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You use Porsche as an example of making the Corvette it's own brand.

Here in Springfield, MO my local Porsche dealer is sold alongside VW and Mitsubishi.

Within a 35 mile radius of Springfield, MO we have five Chevrolet dealers that sell Corvettes. Making the Corvette a separate brand that has to sell 50 or more corvettes annually, would ruin any competition so don't expect any "deals". Do you really understand what it costs to operate a car dealership, especially one that "only" sells high priced "premium" cars? Price of the Corvette would most likely double in price so the dealer can keep his doors open. One hell of a lot of Corvettes are in the less populated rural areas of the country like where I live. I, for one, don't want to have to take my Corvette 200+ miles to one of the "select" Corvette dealers for servicing.

One of the reasons a small dealership can get by with selling 5 or 6 corvettes annually, is that the hundreds of mundane sedans, SUV's and trucks, pay the bills.

Many buy their Corvettes from the "big' dealers currently, but then they might live a thousand miles from the dealership where they purchased the car. They depend on a local dealer to service the car. Remove the small local dealers from the equation and the Corvette would die.

The Cadillac dealer here in Springfield also sells Buick and GMC. Split off the "premium" Cadillac brand away from the Buick and GMC, and there would be no more Cadillac dealer in Springfield, MO.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-01-2018 at 11:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Quinten33 (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 01:50 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Great points!!! Wanted to bring up the idea to see what the pluses and minuses were if GM considered something like that. I get what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense. Maybe Corvette will always be better as the high end of the Chevy line but still an affordable sports car that can be serviced and sold at any Chevy dealership.

Always appreciate the thoughts of forum members and their experiences!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:59 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

There is a mid-engine car out there from GM. Tadge said there would be no ME Corvette.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:26 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

read the "Las Vegas Dealer's Conference" thread. Nate saw a quick picture of the car. check his posts number 1 and 8 on that thread. it was a chevy event.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:37 PM
CitznFish
Drifting

Received 1,347 Likes on 481 Posts

All sorts of crazy talk in this thread. Lol.

Corvette will never become it's own brand. Never.

And saying there will never be a ME Corvette..lol, what are you smoking?
Old 06-30-2018, 06:22 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

I didn't say it, Tadge said it.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:37 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Part of the value of the corvette is what it does from a halo perspective for the entire Chevrolet brand.

it will never be a separate brand...
Old 06-30-2018, 06:38 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I have no doubt a few of the super dealers who can afford to invest millions of dollars in a stand alone facility would be thrilled as is Wal-Mart is every time a small business or grocery store shuts down, but I can't see GM being that fiscally irresponsible. One reason I get good deals on Vettes from my local dealer is because of the everyday trucks & cars I buy every 2-3 years.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

One of the major things that keeps the Corvette lower in cost is the wide array of Mom and Pop shops that sell it. That and the use of the same engine in a variety of GM products. If you were to make Corvette a stand alone brand would it then still share engines and other tech with the multi brands sharing in the GM stable?
It would seem that to make it a stand alone brand it would require a lot of cost effective development with other models but that don't use that development in their product. I don't think that GM would ever go that route. Chevy got it right and building a high end sports car would kill the brand. Camaro would then fill in the niche with a 2 seater, while it would be fast and garner the looks of all the kids it is not, would not,, never be a Corvette. 65 years of history pissed down the toilet and the loss of millions of faithful. The teenagers would like the Camaro but it would take another 50 years to bring it up to the Corvette level....and in 50 years they will be all running on hot air or some such other nonsense.
Nope Corvette needs to stay right where it is at....being a humble Bowtie.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Never say never.

GM floated this idea in between the C5 and C6.

IMO better idea than Cadillac. Porsche sells more performance oriented luxury vehicles as a brand than it does 'sports cars'.

Porsche also uses VW Corporate engines, not specific to Porsche. Audi and Porsche share a lot of hardware including in all the new cars engines, the trans is specific to Porsche but some of engines are VW family engines..

Last edited by NoOne; 06-30-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Would I like for Corvette to be a separate brand? Absolutely!

What do I think are the percentage chances of it becoming a separate brand? 0.000000000000000000000001 %.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (07-01-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 10:32 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Now that the C8 ME is inching closer to reality based on all the spy shots and videos of it testing around the country, what if ...

Corvette becomes its own brand within GM. As part of that, GM reduced the number of dealers where it would be sold. No more mom and pop Chevy dealers with 3-5 Corvette allocations per year. The number of dealers selling the "Corvette" brand would become limited to just the mid to high volume Vette dealers like Kerbeck, Les Stanford, etc that currently sell at least 50 Vettes a year. There might realistically be only 100-150 dealers across the country that could be offered a Corvette franchise based on their current sales. Each dealer would be required to build a separate facility with service to match the high value of the brand. Limiting the number of dealers per state might make the brand more high end and valuable and differentiate it from Chevrolet. You don't see much Chevy branding on a Corvette now so why not create its own brand identity. Also, these "Corvette" dealerships would become a great place to find/purchase used Corvettes since owners would be trading older ones in for new models. I think Vette owners would feel more comfortable taking their pride and joy to a dealership dedicated to uniquely servicing them then to a typical Chevy dealer.

This separation from Chevrolet might lead to the ability to sell a variety of different Corvette models, from the front engine-rear drive (and affordably priced) "Stingray" to the mid-engine (and higher priced) "Zora" AND maybe even a line up of Corvette SUVs like Porsche and all the high end brand sell. The Corvette dealership would then be able to offer a better buying experience and servicing tailored to owners much like Porsche, BMW, MB, Audi, Jaguar, etc. It would also give those dealerships the ability to create a unique "Corvette" themed buying environment complete with an apparel and maybe even a custom shop; something they don't get at a typical Chevy dealer except maybe the high volume ones. It would become a "destination" and "experience" rather then just a typical dealership. I could envision all kinds of events being centered around these Vette dealers.

The mid-engine Vette would essential become the "halo car" for the brand to attract customers into the dealership with the "Stingray" being the mainstream model being sold. Much like the 918 is for Porsche and the R8 is for Audi. Cadillac could do something similar if given a chance to have a C8 ME type model as well.

The "New GM" realizes that the current business and branding model is becoming antiquated so why not think out of the box. A mid-engine Vette and what it could do for a new Corvette brand would make perfect sense. It's exactly what Corvette would need to launch its own separate identity. Taking it one step further, what if GM did a Cadillac/Corvette partnership so that in one dealership you could have both high end luxury AND sports cars (again, think Porsche and MB with their line ups). That might be thinking too outside the box but I could envision it being looked at down the road, especially with Caddy and their "V" models. The only missing link there is Camaro (i.e. Z28 and ZL1). Maybe those would become Chevy's halo vehicles.

The C8 ME might not just another model but the first step in the process of taking Corvette to the next level and more on par with the high end sports cars it's competing with. I think it's pretty exciting stuff!

Just my thoughts ... YMMV. Would be interested to hear what forums members think of this idea.
I can say with certainty that no dealer with be will to spend the 6 to 8 million it would cost to build even a relatively small dealership if 20k Sq ft.

The dealer principles are already forced by GM to either build or upgrade their facilities so that all Chevrolet dealerships have the APPROVED Chevrolet facade and elevation.

There are only a handful full of dealership that sell 500 cars per year. With the margin as tight as they are no dealership could break even if they only sell 50 cars per month.

There just not enough gross profit in selling a new car.

In today's environment the dealership make their profit from FixEd Ops and not from new car sales.

Ask any dealer principal and they will tell you that they work towards 100% fixed op absorption to pay the nut and really only make a small profit on manufacturer hold back funds and in the used car dept.

Just not much GP in today's new car market.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:51 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

They sell 100% of their products through a distribution channel that works ,and at the same time gives them great profitability .

Should they really change anything?

It’s like saying “swiffer” or “Kleenex “should get out of Walmart .
Old 07-01-2018, 10:02 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I don't believe GM would ever spin off Corvette into its own brand, nor should it. The Chevrolet connection is what helps keep the Corvette affordable, and it does represent a "halo car" for that division. GM would be foolish to tamper with a system that works so well. If you don't like the Chevy dealer that services your Corvette, find another dealer - preferably one that sponsors a local Corvette Club and actually has techs that own and drive these cars.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:31 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You use Porsche as an example of making the Corvette it's own brand.

Here in Springfield, MO my local Porsche dealer is sold alongside VW and Mitsubishi.

Within a 35 mile radius of Springfield, MO we have five Chevrolet dealers that sell Corvettes. Making the Corvette a separate brand that has to sell 50 or more corvettes annually, would ruin any competition so don't expect any "deals". Do you really understand what it costs to operate a car dealership, especially one that "only" sells high priced "premium" cars? Price of the Corvette would most likely double in price so the dealer can keep his doors open. One hell of a lot of Corvettes are in the less populated rural areas of the country like where I live. I, for one, don't want to have to take my Corvette 200+ miles to one of the "select" Corvette dealers for servicing.

One of the reasons a small dealership can get by with selling 5 or 6 corvettes annually, is that the hundreds of mundane sedans, SUV's and trucks, pay the bills.

Many buy their Corvettes from the "big' dealers currently, but then they might live a thousand miles from the dealership where they purchased the car. They depend on a local dealer to service the car. Remove the small local dealers from the equation and the Corvette would die.

The Cadillac dealer here in Springfield also sells Buick and GMC. Split off the "premium" Cadillac brand away from the Buick and GMC, and there would be no more Cadillac dealer in Springfield, MO.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:53 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Making it a stand alone brand causes to many issues for dealers, GM, Chevy and so on. They could tuck the ME under the Cadillac umbrella for dealership experience and keep the name Cadillac off the car entirely. Use the corvette to reinvigorate the Cadillac brand since it’s not doing well.

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-01-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What if Corvette became a separate brand?

Old 07-01-2018, 02:41 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
Making it a stand alone brand causes to many issues for dealers, GM, Chevy and so on. They could tuck the ME under the Cadillac umbrella for dealership experience and keep the name Cadillac off the car entirely. Use the corvette to reinvigorate the Cadillac brand since it’s not doing well.
Or just get rid of it and rebrand it entirely.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:18 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

So many manufacturers would kill for a car that has such a following, killing it would be crazy.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:24 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It is possible that naming the c7 base "stingray" was the first step to this. Every current version of the car now was a name so adding a ME model would just be another name.

But I personally feel there all the versions will be ME in a few years.

Quick Reply: What if Corvette became a separate brand?