Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if Corvette became a separate brand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:40 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
^^^^
Just like to add, the high performance SUV is very profitable and expands the product line.
I just don't understand the opposition to a Corvette SUV.
You don't understand the opposition to a Corvette SUV?

Perhaps because a Corvette is a 2-Door 2-Seat sports car, not a 4-door 5/7/8-seat SUV?

I sure hope Hummer makes a 2-Door sports car some day. Would make perfect sense for a Hummer branded sports car in a very unsaturated sports car market...

BTW, Chevrolet already has SUV's...

Last edited by C7pimp; 07-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:00 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

^^^^
Just like to add, the high performance SUV is very profitable and expands the product line.
GM does need a high performance SUV, but it shouldn't be branded as a "Corvette" IMO.

FWIW, I believe it should join the stable at Cadillac.
The reason why I say that is take a look at the Jeep G.C. SRT.
It isn't JUST more power than the standard G.C., it has an updated/upgraded interior and exterior to distinguish it from the base model.
It's part of the package; it's part of the exclusivity you pay for.
The following users liked this post:
JustinStrife (07-11-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 11:03 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
GM does need a high performance SUV, but it shouldn't be branded as a "Corvette" IMO.

FWIW, I believe it should join the stable at Cadillac.
The reason why I say that is take a look at the Jeep G.C. SRT.
It isn't JUST more power than the standard G.C., it has an updated/upgraded interior and exterior to distinguish it from the base model.
It's part of the package; it's part of the exclusivity you pay for.
I can't believe Cadillac hasn't done it already. They have the 4.2 TT engine and a successful V series program. It's just a matter of time.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:05 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

^^^^
Because the Corvette is NOT a brand.
VETTE-NV (07-13-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:20 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I can't believe Cadillac hasn't done it already.
Neither can I...it seems like a no-brainer.
They have the 4.2 TT engine and a successful V series program. It's just a matter of time.
FWIW, I had a 2012 CTS-V Coupe.
Beautiful car...turned heads everywhere I went.
Triple black, with yellow calipers.
I called it "Darth," because I thought if Darth Vader had a car, it would be this one.
Anyway, it was a joy to drive: comfortable, quiet, 556hp, superb chassis...I miss it.
I often think I should have kept it and not traded it in for my Z06...oh well, so it goes.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-11-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

^^^^

IMO there is no reason to do this. GM can bring out a performance Cadillac SUV and it will strengthen the Cadillac brand which is needed, whereas if they make it Corvette SUV it would water down the Corvette name. If you truly want to make Corvette a high end brand with suv models, you at minimum need better/nicer dealerships/service centers or at least dedicated areas in existing dealerships to support the more demanding clientele. This will add xxxx dollars to the price of every new Corvette. Cadillac already has this better experience without adding costs to existing cars.
VETTE-NV (07-13-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by NY09C6
IMO there is no reason to do this. GM can bring out a performance Cadillac SUV and it will strengthen the Cadillac brand which is needed, whereas if they make it Corvette SUV it would water down the Corvette name. If you truly want to make Corvette a high end brand with suv models, you at minimum need better/nicer dealerships/service centers or at least dedicated areas in existing dealerships to support the more demanding clientele. This will add xxxx dollars to the price of every new Corvette. Cadillac already has this better experience without adding costs to existing cars.
I completely agree...well said.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't know how it is today, but some 20 years ago, my Cadillac(out of warranty) wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. I wasn't but a half dozen blocks from an Oldsmobile dealer so I nursed it to their shop. They said they didn't work on Cadillacs. PERIOD.

I had to nurse the damn POS to the other side of town to the Cadillac dealer to get a new shift cable installed.

I seriously doubt that if my C6 Z06 wouldn't shift out of first gear, that I could pull into a Cadillac dealer and they would repair it.
GM would require them to in the arrangement I described.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Cadillac needs a high performance SUV. If Corvette winds up being mid engine only, then Cadillac should be the one to take the FE sports car role as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

While I don't disagree with most of what you said and that Cadillac could use one, and it would be cool as hell etc....I don't think it would water it down. To *me*, my thought, my opinion is that it would do nothing but help it. 20 years ago, I agreed with you. I've grown/changed my mind, and the market has certainly changed. Older hardcore purists will hate it, at least initially....but as people in this thread has said, it can be a pure cash cow for Corvette/GM. I've said before, a very high end/niche brand like Porsche can sell 35k units a year, what could Corvette do?

I think the dealership thing would be solved by transitioning the Corvette brand to Cadillac dealers, or turning them into some kind of premium/seperate thing of some kind. That's certainly for people smarter than me. There is certainly some cost to be incurred, sure. Selling an additional 50k units that cost 50k+ each, on possibly something that already has the biggest chunk of development and R&D already done could be a TON of profit. That's if they could make the XT5 platform work.

Do you think guys who buy a 250k Porsche or even a 100k Porsche drive it around, take it to the track, set records, or whatever and a guy comes up to them and is like man....you're car would be so cool but it sucks that Porsche makes SUVs now. 911s just aren't the same anymore. Hell no! The GT2 RS just DEMOLISHED the ring record by running a 6:47. Thats insane. Corvette couldn't do better than around 7:13 in their 755hp ZR1 (From guys timing the GT2 and had it within 1 second of the time Porsche released, same guy timed the ZR1 no better than 7:13 on the same day) Then to spike the football they took the 919 there and ran a 5:19. The video of this doesn't look like real life and both have got them attention from any and every car media source out there.

Nobody is out there thinking Porsche is watered down and weak. Their brand is hotter than it's ever been, their cars are faster than they have ever been, they are dominating in many ways, or at least establishing their brand as dominant (24 hours of Lemans victory, new production car record and new overall track lap record in history all within a couple weeks. Not bad. Not to mention, Porsche just had their most profitable year in company history, I'd say largely due to the 35k units off S/CUVs they are selling.

If Corvette can do great things with their cars, having a crossover isn't going to take away from that or distract people from that.

Last edited by jdhommert; 07-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:58 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Because the Corvette is NOT a brand.

actually corvette is a brand . What it’s not is a division.

corvettes role is as a halo vehicle and a profit center.

halo vehicles in the marketplace are shifting from two seat sports cars to sports cuv s...

gm would do well to offer a fast track version of a porsche macan or even the jaguar EV I Pace...

give the corvette crosstrek the best track capability.

Over the Porsche macan or jaguar I pace.

dont worry...GM won’t do this...they should but they won’t.

Last edited by JerriVette; 07-13-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:00 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

halo vehicles in the marketplace are shifting from two seat sports cars to sports cuv s...

gm would do well to offer a fast track version of a porsche macan or even the jaguar EV I Pace...

No. Corvette is not a brand. Chevrolet is a brand. Corvette is a part of Chevrolet, which is a part of GM.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A lot of postings about how Porsche sells sedans and SUV's. in addition to their sports cars.

Just like the StingRay out sells the ZR1 by a factor of ten to one,, not every Porsche owner buys the "bad ***" versions of the Panamera,, the Macan or the Cayenne.

The base Panamera has a 330 HP/331 lb-ft torque, turbo V6 that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

The base Macan has a 252 HP/273 lb-ft torque, turbo I-4 that does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds.

The base Cayenne has a 335 HP/332 lb-ft torque, turbo V6 that dose 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

Really, not that exciting performance. How many of those base Panamera and base Macan and base Cayenne owners would trade in their Porsches for a Corvette sedan or SUV with like horsepower and 0-60 times?

I think Chevy, GMC, Buick and Cadillac has sedans and SUV's that have similar horsepower and 0-60 times, so why does the Corvette need a similar product in it's lineup?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-13-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

A lot of postings about how Porsche sells sedans and SUV's. in addition to their sports cars.

Just like the StingRay out sells the ZR1 by a factor of ten to one,, not every Porsche owner buys the "bad ***" versions of the Panamera,, the Macan or the Cayenne.

The base Panamera has a 330 HP/331 lb-ft torque, turbo V6 that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds.

The base Macan has a 252 HP/273 lb-ft torque, turbo I-4 that does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds.

The base Cayenne has a 335 HP/332 lb-ft torque, turbo V6 that dose 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

Really, not that exciting performance. How many of those base Panamera and base Macan and base Cayenne owners would trade in their Porsches for a Corvette sedan or SUV with like horsepower and 0-60 times?

I think Chevy, GMC, Buick and Cadillac has sedans and SUV's that have similar horsepower and 0-60 times, so why does the Corvette need a similar product in it's lineup?

Joe unlike you I personally believe GM makes amount the best vehicles in the world.

im not a big fan of owning german vehicles
GM has an image issue that transcends logic in many cases..

i believe the corvette brand could fast track a porsche macan or jaguar I pace competitor.

millions and millions of dollars can be better utilized in product development rather than advertising to convince consumers GMs macan or I pace competitor is legitimate.

id buy it so we shoot tue breeze.

cadillacs cuvs are fwd based to date after the original six was a rear wheel drive comparative sales failure...

gm prefers fwd biased awd cuvs because they can offer fwd price leaders for consumers to consider.

not terrible but not as driver oriented as I envision for a corvette crosstrek although It might be ok if massaged by corvette engineers.

gm is not going to do what I’m suggesting..

they will run the blazer RS we ve recently been shown and that’s as far as they will be willing to go.

no front engine corvette when the standard version of the c8 releases in 2020..

just a guess on my part as the 2seat market is shrinking...

i look at the spy photos and i see narrow wheels and tires that seem more more apt to a standard corvette model with higher performance wider wheeled versions to be shown further along its life cycle...

have a nice day guys...today is a good day to have a good day.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:19 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Actually, Corvette is a model, manufactured by Chevrolet, who is owned by General Motors.
Just like the Mecan, the Panarama, are models, manufactured by Porsche, who is owned by Volkswagon.
Ultimately, it would be up to the Brand, whether it be Chevrolet or Cadillac, to think up this hi-po SUV and then pitch it to GM to pay for it. In which case, it would become either a separate model, or it would be a version of a current model, and designated as such, like ZR1, Z06, SS, ZL1, V are all versions of current models.
If they split Corvette off and made it a brand, then it could produce other models. Which, in terms of cost, and considering that these models would either simply be high performance versions of existing platforms, or all models that share nothing with other vehicles, in the end would probably not yield the necessary return on investment for GM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Joe unlike you I personally believe GM makes amount the best vehicles in the world.

im not a big fan of owning german vehicles
GM has an image issue that transcends logic in many cases..

i believe the corvette brand could fast track a porsche macan or jaguar I pace competitor.

millions and millions of dollars can be better utilized in product development rather than advertising to convince consumers GMs macan or I pace competitor is legitimate.

id buy it so we shoot tue breeze.

cadillacs cuvs are fwd based to date after the original six was a rear wheel drive comparative sales failure...

gm prefers fwd biased awd cuvs because they can offer fwd price leaders for consumers to consider.

not terrible but not as driver oriented as I envision for a corvette crosstrek although It might be ok if massaged by corvette engineers.

gm is not going to do what I’m suggesting..

they will run the blazer RS we ve recently been shown and that’s as far as they will be willing to go.

no front engine corvette when the standard version of the c8 releases in 2020..

just a guess on my part as the 2seat market is shrinking...

i look at the spy photos and i see narrow wheels and tires that seem more more apt to a standard corvette model with higher performance wider wheeled versions to be shown further along its life cycle...

have a nice day guys...today is a good day to have a good day.
Then why did you just lease an Italian vehicle instead of leasing a GM vehicle last month? Afraid to put your money where your mouth is?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
ByByBMW (07-13-2018), JustinStrife (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:45 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Then why did you just lease an Italian vehicle instead of leasing a GM vehicle last month? Afraid to put your money where your mouth is?
money where my mouth is?

what are you a grandpa tough guy?

Literally there is no a corvette crosstrek...Cadillac has lost its way and its crossovers are not sporting. that’s what consumers want as shown by the Porsche macan and jaguar I pace. Take a look at Lamborghini sales projection for 2018.the new cuv is expected to double the brands sales.

The macan, the jaguar I pace and even the jaguar f pace is where the market is going for those who want sporting family transport capabilities. GM sees the market shifting to that sporting cuv as you can see the release of the 2019 blazer RS which just released. I like the look but the engines are a bit weak and its fwd biased which can be addressed with a corvette branded crossteck..but GM won’t...

for the forum member who thinks the corvettes a model and not a brand? I wish you well. Think long and hard about the concept that corvette itself is a model and a brand...

its not a dovision but it has great brand equity. My suggestion or insight would be to begin leveraging that brand image of corvette to facilitate doubling sales of a sport cuv utilizing that example set by Porsche.

its profit..its expansion..its success..how many people do you as a corvette owner get approached by guys who have families who say out loud how badly they would like to trade in their four door family transport for a corvette...Porsche heard that message and offered up the macan...(Boxster sales and cayman sales are a joke...but macan sales....now that’s where the money is to keep 911 s in production.

To consider corvette as just a model and not a brand is foolish....

there is no reason to argue. GM isn’t going to make a corvette crosstrek so for those with the inability to think outside the box you can continue in your comfort zone without fear...

Get notified of new replies

To What if Corvette became a separate brand?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

money where my mouth is?

what are you a grandpa tough guy?

Literally there is no a corvette crosstrek...Cadillac has lost its way and its crossovers are not sporting. that’s what consumers want as shown by the Porsche macan and jaguar I pace. Take a look at Lamborghini sales projection for 2018.the new cuv is expected to double the brands sales.

The macan, the jaguar I pace and even the jaguar f pace is where the market is going for those who want sporting family transport capabilities. GM sees the market shifting to that sporting cuv as you can see the release of the 2019 blazer RS which just released. I like the look but the engines are a bit weak and its fwd biased which can be addressed with a corvette branded crossteck..but GM won’t...

for the forum member who thinks the corvettes a model and not a brand? I wish you well. Think long and hard about the concept that corvette itself is a model and a brand...

its not a dovision but it has great brand equity. My suggestion or insight would be to begin leveraging that brand image of corvette to facilitate doubling sales of a sport cuv utilizing that example set by Porsche.

its profit..its expansion..its success..how many people do you as a corvette owner get approached by guys who have families who say out loud how badly they would like to trade in their four door family transport for a corvette...Porsche heard that message and offered up the macan...(Boxster sales and cayman sales are a joke...but macan sales....now that’s where the money is to keep 911 s in production.

there is no reason to argue. GM isn’t going to make a corvette crosstrek so for those with the inability to think outside the box you can continue in your comfort zone without fear...

If GM is one of the best automobile companies around, then why did you make several million posts about the Tesla model 3 you had reserved, that you then dropped and then you leased an Italian automobile?

If GM is the greatest automobile company then why didn't you buy a GM SUV instead of an Italian SUV? Is it because GM doesn't make a SUV? That couldn't be the reason as GM has many different SUV's in all different price ranges. Since you originally were going to buy a Tesla Model 3, I guess that you thought a sedan would fit the bill. Do you think that GM does not offer a sedan? Last time I looked GM had all kinds of sedans for sell, in all price ranges, with horsepower at 550 and above.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-13-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

If GM is one of the best automobile companies around, then why did you make several million posts about the Tesla model 3 you had reserved, that you then dropped and then you leased an Italian automobile?

If GM is the greatest automobile company then why didn't you buy a GM SUV instead of an Italian SUV? Is it because GM doesn't make a SUV? That couldn't be the reason as GM has many different SUV's in all different price ranges. Since you originally were going to buy a Tesla Model 3, I guess that you thought a sedan would fit the bill. Do you think that GM does not offer a sedan? Last time I looked GM had all kinds of sedans for sell, in all price ranges, with horsepower at 550 and above.
joe are you stalking me...

two and a half half years ago I thought the tesla model 3 was sexy looking and offered sporting performance and awd...and was rumored to have autonomous mode which I though would be good for my wife to have considering we have a severely autistic 22 year old and she can as I can be distracted when travelling with him.

i don’t expect you to have a direct understanding as I believe if you have kids they are not severely autistic.

truth be told Tesla’s AP1was much better than the more recently updated AP 2. AP2 sucks compared to aP1.

fwiw I’ve recently driven super cruise from Cadillac and I believe cruise automation will license supercruise to many manufacturers as it’s far superior. Much like MRC is licensed through what was delco to Ferrari and others...

i didnt like AP2 and Musk kept delaying the awd. After 2 and a half years I got bored looking at the tesla model 3.

add in the fact I was going to miss out on the $7500 rebate...and musk was forcing the extra 90 mile long range battery for a model 3with awd...in 2018.

one last thing my wife wanted a bright red color although white was her second choice. Tesla’s red is a tri color that looks maroon in daytime cloudy lighting..

this is is my 25 th wedding anniverary this year and my wife’s 60th birthday.

i ha dado planned to give my wife the tesla model 3 as a gift for those life occasions...(since she put up with me for 25 years..

when i I first met my wife 26 years ago she had a bright red sports car...and she wanted another...

she also really wanted a sporty cuv...

so in looking for a bright red cuv...that had the name cache she desired....Chevy had nothing, Cadillac had nothing, gmc had nothing...

who did that leave with a sporty cuv in bright red?

nobody makes a better bright red than corvette or the Italians...

the a
fa was the right size. The right color and had the cache ..

had there been a corvette macan, jaguar I pace competitor I would easily have bought that...

my desire with the exception of the color preference possibly ...is a wave coming...and GM knows it as you I am sure saw in the blazer RS...

the problem with that prodict is A) it’s not out until 2019 like the bright red jaguar I pace...which really rolled up to 90grand which is too high for my wife’s sensibilities on a car...( I have to pay for much of my sons 24/7 care for the next 60 years of his life as he can’t feed himself, dress himself or go to the bathroom himself)

the Jeep Compass was a cute little cuv but she didn’t want such an inexpensively cuv for her life occasions.

audi, bmw, Mercedes she didn’t like...

the a
fa fit the good looks, the color she wanted, the pricing was about 50large...and I got 12 grand off in literally 15minutes when I visited the dealer in a pleasant buying experience and bought the car on the lot exactly as I wanted it optioned...

i bought the vehicle fromthe oldest alfa dealer in the United States and the owner knew my dad well who had Alfa’s starting in 1963, 1967 and 1971.my dad and I were alfistis in those years and we used to go to dinner whenever my dad bought an Alfa with the owner of the dealership.

The owner knew all my dads friends who I remembered as well.

my dad past 29 years ago...and over those years several of our mutual friends had since past away..

so as you can see my sentiment and reasons why why I didn’t buy a GM prodict this time around..

had there been a corvette cuv competitor to the alfa stelvio ti sport I would have bought it...

maybe next time there will be...

i believe I wouldn’t be the only one who would...

i dont think gm will do as my insights suggest...

the blazer rs looks great but doesnt have the cache some women want...while a corvette crosstrek would...

cadillacs xt5 which I test drive is nowhere near what I’m describing in what I want.

the upcoming xt4 really isn’t what I’m discussing as well.

i sold my mint 304 ho Cadillac CTS awd sport sedan as well ..not for any reason except I wanted to celebrate 25 years of marriage and her 60 th birthday all occuring in 2018..

with the challenges in life ive described...celebrating life’s occasions is important ...

I wish you the best my friend Joec5...

i hope you have a greater understanding of why I bought an Alfa Stelvio ti sport..

plus its pretty and fun to drive..

The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
AORoads (07-14-2018), dreamr616 (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 10:25 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

I was simply stating it from an organizational standpoint. Look at your registration, it will say "Make: Chevrolet Model: Corvette"
Sure, they could make Corvette SUV, or CUV, or whatever. It could be a sub model of the Corvette. The question is if there are regulations that would require it, as a sub model to share the same chassis, or certain components, or certain design elements to be called a "Corvette". There must be something out there regarding this, otherwise they could toss a Corvette badge on a Trax, and call it a day. No one would fall for it, but you get my point. But I do agree with your point about the "ideal" of Corvette and it's status in the marketplace.

If GM wanted to compete in this segment I still believe Cadillac would have the best chance. Create a RWD/AWD SRX type vehicle, using the "V" badge on it.

Now, if Corvette became it's own brand, in other words, it's own manufacturing division, like Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, they actually could take a Trax and put a Corvette badge on it...J/K. But really, they could build whatever they wanted. Thing is, for GM, splitting Corvette off would create more and bigger problems than it would solve.

Quick Reply: What if Corvette became a separate brand?