Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Corvette limited?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default C8 Corvette limited?

Hey guys,

didn't read up too much about the C8 that confirms this, but correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding is that C8 will be a generation of corvette just like C1-C7 instead of being a one/two year or limited run model right? There's this guy I was talking to and he was like passing on the ZR1 because he wanted to grab the C8 before its all sold out and said that its a limited edition car, but I called my GM guy and he said that my understanding is right that there will be multiple models of the C8 and it would be a generation... let's hope at the end of the C8 we would also get a C8 ZR1?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:48 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

The C8 will more than likely have the same basic packages as its C6 and C7 predecessors.
Im guessing a Z51, Grand Sport, Z06 and a Zr1 with a few "special" limited edition's mixed in their to boot.

Our guess is two engines 4.5TT and 5.5TT.

Should be very interesting to see!

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 07-03-2018 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

if the zora is pretty with a base price in the 60s, it will sell very well and the factory will provide all that people will buy. it might take a while for them to catch up with orders, but it will happen.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 AM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I agree that the midengine is the new generation corvette, we'll find out soon
Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 AM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

If I was to guess, I'd go with the mid engine being a separate line (ie: ZORA) and that the real C8 will be the next generation FE car.

But, I'm just speculating, just like the rest of you. And by the way, I'm quite certain that there won't be many going out the door for under $100K based on the technology being packed into it.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:13 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
If I was to guess, I'd go with the mid engine being a separate line (ie: ZORA) and that the real C8 will be the next generation FE car.

But, I'm just speculating, just like the rest of you. And by the way, I'm quite certain that there won't be many going out the door for under $100K based on the technology being packed into it.
I can definitely see this happening.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,155 Likes on 516 Posts

Much has been discussed about the term C8 generation. Some think it is only a mid engined configuration going forward and dropping the front engined version entirely. And some think that the mid engine version will be called a Zora and that we will have a new C8 front engined four model (Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1) configuration starting around the 2022 model year. I personally can't fathom team Corvette giving up 65 years of front engine Corvette clientele to have only one configuration of Corvette. That would be marketing suicide to walk away from that demographic. I believe that there will be up to 5 separate models of the C8 generation (Zora, Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, ZR1). Bowling Green has doubled the size of the plant to over 2 million sq. ft. plus a lower basement level (for the scrubbers) under the new paint shop area which is two story level of new structure, for 3 levels in total. Logic suggests that you don't increase the size of the plant to this new massive size to now build only one model.
The following 4 users liked this post by skank:
91ZR1 (07-03-2018), Rebel Yell (07-14-2018), roadbike56 (07-03-2018), vdavenp802 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Let me add that it's no secret that Porsche and Corvette are direct competitors. Porsche has two distinct platforms for their high performance sports cars. IMHO, Corvette will soon have two platforms and will grow the brand from there.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Let me add that it's no secret that Porsche and Corvette are direct competitors. Porsche has two distinct platforms for their high performance sports cars. IMHO, Corvette will soon have two platforms and will grow the brand from there.
there are good arguments both ways, but I REALLY hope you are correct...
Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

have there been any front engine C8 mules spotted running around to fuel the speculation. The last front engine mule I know of was the c7zr
Old 07-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

My guess is 2 separate platforms. That would mean the front engined Corvette will still start around $65k and be comfortably optioned at around $72-$75k. I see the mid engined car starting around $100k (I can see GM marketing it for slightly less than $100k base , say $98,995 to look more attractive) as the premium model and going up to $140K with performance and luxury upgrades. Kind of like the Porsche 718 Boxster/Cayman and the 911 model lines.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:29 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

No C8 FE mules running around that I have seen or heard about. so by that I am guessing that in 2020, 2021 the production of a C8 Fe will not happen. They could be doing a continuation of the C7 while the mid engine is produced and the C8 could come out in 2023 or so. This would give them time for the mules to be built and thoroughly tested before introduction. This would make the ME a separate line and thus doing as Porsche has done, albeit with moderate success.
GM is not known for there radical departure from the norm, which in this case is a high volume FE sports car. One that sells very well and has garnered more respect worldwide than its predecessors. I can see this continuing on for at least another generation or until gas powered sports cars are obsolete due to CAFE regulations.
My hope is for an nice ME entry level car that would compete with the Caymen/Boxster series and keep the entry price around the $65,000 mark. This would allow for a greater market share and drive the Porsche faithful nuts. I like Porsche as a car, styling is a bit old but it is a hell of a car. But I can see GM producing a ME that will knock the socks off the P car market share and expanding their reputation of build quality and handling.
What ever we get I am looking forward to the next 2-3 years.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:56 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
No C8 FE mules running around that I have seen or heard about. so by that I am guessing that in 2020, 2021 the production of a C8 Fe will not happen. They could be doing a continuation of the C7 while the mid engine is produced and the C8 could come out in 2023 or so. This would give them time for the mules to be built and thoroughly tested before introduction. This would make the ME a separate line and thus doing as Porsche has done, albeit with moderate success.
GM is not known for there radical departure from the norm, which in this case is a high volume FE sports car. One that sells very well and has garnered more respect worldwide than its predecessors. I can see this continuing on for at least another generation or until gas powered sports cars are obsolete due to CAFE regulations.
My hope is for an nice ME entry level car that would compete with the Caymen/Boxster series and keep the entry price around the $65,000 mark. This would allow for a greater market share and drive the Porsche faithful nuts. I like Porsche as a car, styling is a bit old but it is a hell of a car. But I can see GM producing a ME that will knock the socks off the P car market share and expanding their reputation of build quality and handling.
What ever we get I am looking forward to the next 2-3 years.
I suspect GM will keep the FE Stingray around for as long as it sells. They can update the appearance and the powertrain of the car easily without changing the frame at all. The CE / Nano-composite body panels are all bolted onto the basic frame. This is, essentially how they got from the C5 to the C6. No need for a mule just yet, but after the C8 development is done, they could do a C7.5 in 1-2 years, easy. The C7.5 and C8 could be built and sold side-by-side for years. The C9 will happen in the 2027-2028 timeframe, and for all we know could be all-electric and AWD. That will make FE vs. ME a mute point !!
skank (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Whatever it is I just hope they do not call it a Zora.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:03 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Movin on.....

When fuel injection became standard no one wanted a new corvette with a carburetor. So now that Corvette has decided to catch up with the rest of the world with mid-ship engines, why would anyone want a front engine vehicle? If you want a front engine Corvette, all you need to do is look in the want ads for an old model.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:22 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
When fuel injection became standard no one wanted a new corvette with a carburetor. So now that Corvette has decided to catch up with the rest of the world with mid-ship engines, why would anyone want a front engine vehicle? If you want a front engine Corvette, all you need to do is look in the want ads for an old model.
I'll give you one good reason - cargo space. There is no way they will get more than about 7-8 cu. ft. of it in an ME. The C7 has over 15 cu. ft. and works great for traveling cross-country. Also, for most "touring" drivers, the difference between an FE and and ME in handling is academic.

The C7 Grand Sport handles great with 460 HP driving the rear wheels. (It can even keep up with the vaunted Porsche 911 GT3). But as Mark Reuss demonstrated at Belle Isle, even experienced drivers have issues dealing with 650+ HP in a FE / rear drive car. The ME addresses that problem.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:57 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I'll give you one good reason - cargo space. There is no way they will get more than about 7-8 cu. ft. of it in an ME. The C7 has over 15 cu. ft. and works great for traveling cross-country. Also, for most "touring" drivers, the difference between an FE and and ME in handling is academic.

The C7 Grand Sport handles great with 460 HP driving the rear wheels. (It can even keep up with the vaunted Porsche 911 GT3). But as Mark Reuss demonstrated at Belle Isle, even experienced drivers have issues dealing with 650+ HP in a FE / rear drive car. The ME addresses that problem.
If that mid engine car in the spy pictures we’re seeing only has 7 to 8 cubic feet of cargo space in the coupe,
then it’s not the C8....

I bet that mid engine car gets very close to the 15 cubic feet of trunk space ,and that it is the C8.

The car is probably gonna be great at travelling cross country as well.

Those are simply “core” attributes to a Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Corvette limited?

Old 07-04-2018, 12:28 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Here's some data for you. The Ferrari 458 / 488 has about 8.1 cu. ft. in its frunk., the Audi R8 / R10 and the Lambo Huracan also have about 8 cu. ft. The McLaren 570S has 5.3 cu. ft. in its frunk, however, if you get a McLaren 570GT with a glass rear hatch and padded engine cover, you can add another 7.7 cu. ft. in the back but it is a weird shaped space. This is similar to the Maserati Bora which had about 10 cu. ft. of storage space - 5 in front and 5 in back.

No ME will ever have the 15 cu. ft. of contiguous space the C7 has, or even close to the 22 cu. ft. the C5 had. It is just not possible with the internal arrangement of these cars.

Someone needs to come up with a cool-looking car-top carrier for those who want to travel cross-country in a C8 !!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:11 AM
herohaki
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

there so many different factors on handling other than engine location, of course mid engine has its benefits but a well placed front mid engine car is quite the monster too, its more dependent on tires, suspension, weight distribution, aerodynamics, etc., you also drive them differently on track, it's all up to what the owner does and understands to make the car perform well and better than others, where the engine is can have its effects but won't matter as much as people may think if you know what you're doing. A front engine rear drive is the classic recipe of a fun car that requires experience to perform well, a mid engine is perfect but can also be limited to understeer/oversteer with a happy tail if not treated right.

Last edited by herohaki; 07-04-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:05 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
the real C8 will be the next generation FE car.
Currently, there is zero evidence the C8 will be FE...very much the opposite.
And by the way, I'm quite certain that there won't be many going out the door for under $100K based on the technology being packed into it.
The C8 ME's price will start at no more than $10K over the C7's lowest price Stingray.
To quote Indiana Jones, "Trust me."

Boiler_81 (07-05-2018)

Quick Reply: C8 Corvette limited?