Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You guys realize the Tesla model S had the best front impact crash test results of any car ever made right? Removing the engine allows engineers to make the entire front a crumple zone.
right, but it is a long thick nose. The ME corvette, it is shorter than the c7 nose both in height and distance forward from the passengers feat.

Why is this so hard for you guys to grasp? lol?

Meanwhile, does the tesla have NO weight? NO engines? Yes, it has engines, they are electric. And it has batteries. It is not much lighter than our cars, probably heavier, i havent checked. That weight is in the front of the tesla also as the batteries span the entire length of the car, but more evenly dispersed across the entire platform.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-10-2018 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Olnavy (07-12-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
You guys realize the Tesla model S had the best front impact crash test results of any car ever made right? Removing the engine allows engineers to make the entire front a crumple zone.
and again, that is when you run into a concrete wall that does not move... then the engine has not as much benefit... but at least it is not behind you, pushing you into what it is you are hitting.

However, when you hit something that can move... like another car... that engine is your battering ram to change the cars direction with its momentum BEFORE your crumple zones have to completely activate.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-10-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:48 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Crash Test Dummies??

Awful lot of crash test dummies (?) speculating about structural engineering and crash dynamics.
Love the SWAG. Scientific Wild A$$ Guesses.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dfettero
Awful lot of crash test dummies (?) speculating about structural engineering and crash dynamics.
Love the SWAG. Scientific Wild A$$ Guesses.
alright, you can say less crumple zone is safer and ME is safer... and when someone goes out and dies in one of the first ME vettes, you'd better hope they didn't read this thread and your post. Ive told the truth, the rest of you guys... just keep saying whatever you like to counter me. Be my guest, im done explaining physics to you guys of WHY the numbers are what they are on fatalities in ME and RE vehicles.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:20 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default C7 and ZR1 crashes

Don't take postings personal. But will those who crash a ZR1 run to the forum for discussions on crash dynamics. There are crash standards that all vehicles must meet.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dfettero
Don't take postings personal.
(LIKE, YOU GIVING PEOPLE BAD INFO THAT MIGHT GET THEM KILLED IF THEY BELIEVE YOU??)
But will those who crash a ZR1 run to the forum for discussions on crash dynamics.
There are crash standards that all vehicles must meet. (YEAH? READ THE LINK BELOW)
Already posted this once... ill post it once more...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-9

You guys just say things that sound nice and soothing... and yet, you dont check your facts.

That translates into... you give people really bad information, and then they spread the information further.

This bugs me a lot to say the least, especially when it is peoples lives on the line and they think you have a clue what you are talking about.

But i guess i should stop assuming the person shouldn't do homework of their own before they purchase a car.

I would retranslate what all this means for the ME which is going to be an even LOWER number production vehicle, but i dont feel like having an argument today.

Goodluck everyone. So many wise fellows around here who know so much about corvette crash testing, they will teach you... im out. Later.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Crash test standards

So you are saying that GM is ignoring crash test standards of construction by not testing. Balsa wood, paper clips and Elmer's glue.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

if a manufacturer KNOWS they are not going to be tested by the government, i think it has been proven manufacturers don't care as much about passing a test.

And meanwhile I would ask you the same question... EXACTLY WHAT STAR RATING DOES A CORVETTE RECEIVE IN A FRONT END IMPACT?

Answer the question please. Otherwise, get lost. You, nor anyone else in this forum knows, including myself... so the last thing ANY of us have the right to do is sit around and assure others that a car that is NOT tested... is "SAFE"

SAFE has different levels doesn't it?... otherwise, there wouldn't be 5 stars to be had would there?

Do you understand the ignorance i perceive from all of you when you just say "YEAH, ITS SAFE, THE GOVERNMENT TESTS IT"

Intelligence is no where to be found right now.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-10-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C7nut
Actually, there's a fourth point... Your 100000 lb block of iron would be useless in that scenario . The ME is predicted to have automatic braking. The car would have stopped before crashing , LOL......
i think i speak for a lot of people when i say... if your automatic brakes... slow your car down before you do.... you probably shouldn't have a drivers license.

The head on collision that I was in, i hit the brakes long before the car i hit was ever "in front" of my car's line of sight... for your little gizmo to have activated and thus have any use in that scenario.

Auto braking is a gimmick, that the govt is pushing for... but it is still in the stone ages as far as usefulness is concerned because of the processing power and eyesight power to determine what is a threat and what is not.

If you rely on a gizmo to stop your car for you... because paying attention to your surroundings while you drive a 3500lb object around it too daunting of a task for you to achieve on a daily basis... you shouldn't have a drivers license. Or maybe im alone on that standpoint, but i doubt it.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-10-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
I firmly believe there will be an ME version only. I just don't see a case for GM building both a FE and ME sports car.
That would be great... but they can't build a ME that performs like a current 1LT C7... for a base starting MSRP of $59,000

GM has wanted Bowling Green to run multiple shifts since it was built. Only making one model that's a $80k-90k base ME would reduce production below a single shift level.They'd be lucky to make 8000-9000 cars/year in than scenario. The only way to guarantee BG to run one full shift, and possibly two full shifts... is to do something to increase unit production; aka multiple models (the FE-C8 and ME-Z1) .

BG has already made two different models at the same time... the Caddy XLR was one such attempt; it just wasn't all that cool a car and didn't sell well. THE XLR was more hand built, so it didn't share the same assembly line as the Corvette in that plant. This is exactly how the Z1 can be built; as a separate model within the same building.

We're all guessing here; but GM is in the business to make money. Decisions will be based on that aspect first.

I know some don't seem to understand why it cost more to make a ME over a FE. Simple; list all the current crop of ME's that perform equally as the C7 (straight line acceleration, cornering, creature comfort)... that start at
$60k ?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

IMO, it would be completely asinine for GM to discontinue the FE car. As many have stated herein having the ME and FE cars produced together will cannibalize some of the each others sales, but as a whole I think having both would sell way more units than strictly a ME car. Bear with me if you would.

1. The Z06/ZR1 are at the pinnacle of FE performance, but to the likes of some ME & RE cars, the GT2 RS for example, they are still a step behind. I think GM felt they had to make the transition to ME in order to produce a true "world fighting supercar". That being said, I own a 16 C7Z and will probably never drive the car to even 80% of its potential, and I'd be willing to bet I'm in the 90% or so majority here. For many, I feel that next level of performance/handling may not be an utmost priority.

2. Then there are the traditionalists (my self included) that grew up with the Corvette as America's Sports Car. It wasn't supposed to compete with European exotics, it was an open-top, FE, rear drive, standard transmission sports car that looked bad *** and didn't give a crap if someone's air-cooled 911 could go around a track a little bit faster.

3. As Mikec7z originally stated, the technology from ME car will trickle down into the next generation of FE cars. Even if the next generation FE corvette isn't as big of a redesign as C6 to C7, give me a refreshed car with the newest drivetrain options and a DCT, sign me up, I'm in. (I'd prefer manual, but my wife drives the car so has to be auto. The current A8 suuuucks!)

4. As forum members, I think we can all agree here. People love driving their current Corvettes. So much so that I saw 3 new threads in the C6 general discussion about people taking week long road trips in their cars. GM might pull off a miracle here, but I've never seen a ME or RE car that can hold a weeks worth of crap for 2, not to mention golf clubs, dogs or whatever other stupid crap people take on vacation.

This is just one humble man's opinion, but I truly hope GM does not discontinue the FE car as my C7 would probably be my last new Corvette. The ME layout just doesn't do it for me. I would much rather have a grand tourer than an all out supercar.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:58 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
right, but it is a long thick nose. The ME corvette, it is shorter than the c7 nose both in height and distance forward from the passengers feat.

Why is this so hard for you guys to grasp? lol?

Meanwhile, does the tesla have NO weight? NO engines? Yes, it has engines, they are electric. And it has batteries. It is not much lighter than our cars, probably heavier, i havent checked. That weight is in the front of the tesla also as the batteries span the entire length of the car, but more evenly dispersed across the entire platform.
It is a tank @ 5,000 lbs.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:12 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree the ME will have to be priced aggressively in order for it to be the only version offered. I think it can be done. Manufacturing cost in automotive is for the most part driven by BOM cost. Engine layout does not necessitate a much greater BOM cost. The car will have pretty much the same components rearranged. The transmission will surely be more expensive but some of the components of the FE system will be eliminated.

On the assembly side, I would expect the ME to take less assembly minutes than the current car. This will be due to integration of components, better design for assembly and assembly line improvements.

We don't see any ME cars which can compete with the Corvette on price and performance for the same reason there isn't a FE sports car which can compete with Corvette on price and performance. The competitors are playing in the high margin exclusive sandbox. Corvette goes for lower per unit profits and more volume.

As I said earlier, we all have biases, differing experiences and expectations. At this point there is no right or wrong. We will have the answer when GM wants us to have the information.

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
That would be great... but they can't build a ME that performs like a current 1LT C7... for a base starting MSRP of $59,000

GM has wanted Bowling Green to run multiple shifts since it was built. Only making one model that's a $80k-90k base ME would reduce production below a single shift level.They'd be lucky to make 8000-9000 cars/year in than scenario. The only way to guarantee BG to run one full shift, and possibly two full shifts... is to do something to increase unit production; aka multiple models (the FE-C8 and ME-Z1) .

BG has already made two different models at the same time... the Caddy XLR was one such attempt; it just wasn't all that cool a car and didn't sell well. THE XLR was more hand built, so it didn't share the same assembly line as the Corvette in that plant. This is exactly how the Z1 can be built; as a separate model within the same building.

We're all guessing here; but GM is in the business to make money. Decisions will be based on that aspect first.

I know some don't seem to understand why it cost more to make a ME over a FE. Simple; list all the current crop of ME's that perform equally as the C7 (straight line acceleration, cornering, creature comfort)... that start at
$60k ?
The following users liked this post:
Mike Mercury (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Do I see GM continuing to build the C7 for several more years? Maybe. Would Mary Barra be able to justify investing development $$$ for a new CorvetteFE platform? No. It would be easier for her to justify expansion of a Corvette brand, ala Porsche or Jaguar.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Which vehicle laps a track faster the c7 z06 or the alpha platform ZL1 1 LE?

i believe the alpha platform is superior in ZL1 1LE

you guys can google it but I believe I read the alpha zL1 1LE is quicker..
Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The market just isn't big enough to sell all these cars into. Why would they do this? To take the ME up market in price/target? Against who? Porsche? McClaren? Ferrari? And what does that leave the core Corvette buyers with - "buy this slightly refreshed $70K car from us, because the car we invested all the development dollars in costs $110K now and we've priced you out of that market". Who is going to bite on that?
Exactly. If they don't price the ME car near the current one, then I'll buy a Porsche Cayman. One way or another I'll buy a mid-engine car.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:08 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
We will have the answer when GM wants us to have the information.
This is true.
GM has been incredibly tight-lipped about what they intend to do regarding the future of Corvette.
AAAANNND it is very irritating...

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 AM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

In 2014 I was run off the road by a drunk driver in the rain. I hit a concrete barrier at 72 mph head-on (1 O'clock position on the car) in my 911. I had always been concerned about not having an engine in front of me if I had an accident like that. I was hurt pretty good but am here to share the story. The car bounced off the concrete barrier went spinning and the back of the car hit the concrete barrier on the other side of the road across three lanes. I remember that the back seat floor mats that are Velcro to the floor ended up on the top of the dash. That was an amazing impact. To everyone's surprise the car didn't look that bad after the impact. Of course the air bags went off but the car was totally intact but it was done & totaled. But the newer technology in steel and fiber is amazing. So I am more confident that the ME will be good.

Last edited by GordyRay; 07-14-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:14 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Which vehicle laps a track faster the c7 z06 or the alpha platform ZL1 1 LE?

i believe the alpha platform is superior in ZL1 1LE

you guys can google it but I believe I read the alpha zL1 1LE is quicker..
Would it not be more fair to compare the top camaro against the top vette?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM
JakeC7GS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by GordyRay
But the newer technology in steel and fiber is amazing. So I am confident that the ME will be fine too.
That was my thought too, after scrolling through all of this. I'm no engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but I remember seeing clips of F1 cars spiking the wall at 150mph and the drivers walking away. Not saying GM will spend F1 money on the ME, just that the technology exists.

Quick Reply: 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...