Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Old 07-14-2018, 03:10 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
No I ordered the car in October of 2015 and took delivery in January of 2017. I had car shipped directly from Bowling Green to Callaway in Connecticut then had delivered right to my house.

I paid cash so did not finance the car as I purchased through my partners Chevrolet dealership and paid just what the factory invoice us for and including the hold back.

Car is just great but it's a lot of horsepower and torque for the chassis to handle.

It is faster than the Ferrari but much more difficult to drive. It tend to want to kill me as opposed to the 458 which is much easier to drive at the limit.

With all that said I would say I just an average driver so I have to show a lot of respect when driving the Callaway.

Never had it race mode with nannies all off because I need then on to help the beast from killing me lol.
That is all understandable. Did you get the DSC controller and do their alignment yet on the rear?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
That podcast got off on the wrong foot when the two “media experts” are talking about how long the Corvette ME has been discussed, and they discuss “whether it has been a year, or two or three, but then one talks about ‘it goes as far back as GM’s bankruptcy.” Did they forget the 45+ years before the bankruptcy when the ME Corvette was “debated?

And these are automotive media experts? Very poor podcast starting out with that major mistake, then wandering all over the subject and beyond and back and forth, hitting and missing many subjects inarticullately.

Thanks JerriVette for bringing it up, but my advice is to all who see this thread, is to not waste 13 minutes on the podcast. I wasted eight minutes then gave up.
i agree it was a less than thrilling podcast...but I wanted to share with others here just for a different form of corvette Internet entertainment....popped up in my iPad notification..so I posted it...

truth be told....2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019 ...That’s a lot of model years ....with the same looking vehicle..

consumers are fickle...and want newer fresher designs...that’s just how the 2 seat sports car market is.,,,

as beautiful as the c7 is...,it’s been out a long time...(3 years is usually the beginning of the end for two seaters)

imo gm should have updated the composite shell if it wanted to try and add life support to c7 sales......it might have added a little more sales life to the chassis design,,,

i dont think the rumor of the c8 is what’s slowing c7 sales...

consumers have just seen the c7 for so long......the demand has just fallen off....

still the c7 is beautiful and quite accomplished in performance etc) so no insult intended to c7 owners.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

For those not in the apple world: Direct link to the podcast

Originally Posted by JerriVette
23 percent sales drop this year on the front engine corvette..

just a post of a podcast discussion of the corvette mid engine possibly being the cause of present c7 sales slump.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...268090919?mt=2
Old 07-14-2018, 10:49 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Cool, its a great opportunity then for you to make some money. Place a wager against me. Documented for all to see. If im wrong, ill pay you. If you are wrong, you pay me. Until then, dont insult me again.
You've insulted every person with a differing view....man up
Old 07-14-2018, 11:16 AM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

23 percent sales drop this year on the front engine corvette..

just a post of a podcast discussion of the corvette mid engine possibly being the cause of present c7 sales slump.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...268090919?mt=2

What I can say to that, unscientifically of course is back a decade ago when driving my C6, C6's were all over the place. I would easily see at least 3, sometimes more every day while daily driving. Today, with the same amount of summer driving, I'm lucky if I see one or two C7's per week. Dealer close to me still has more then a few unsold 2017's in stock. Bad for GM but great for me because I believe the C-7 is the best looking Vette ever. Folks really do take notice even after five model years when that beauty is in sight.... I still get asked if that is a brand new model of our beloved Corvette. Believe it or not I've had folks tell me even today, other then photo's or TV, (probably not paying attention) they've never seen one in person till they see mine.

Last edited by C7nut; 07-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
Awful lot of crash test dummies (?) speculating about structural engineering and crash dynamics.
Love the SWAG. Scientific Wild A$$ Guesses.
http://irti.co/6689
Old 07-14-2018, 12:59 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You've insulted every person with a differing view....man up
any time i pushed hard that someone was wrong, rest assured, on that same topic, i am willing to place wagers that I am correct.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Which vehicle laps a track faster the c7 z06 or the alpha platform ZL1 1 LE?

i believe the alpha platform is superior in ZL1 1LE

you guys can google it but I believe I read the alpha zL1 1LE is quicker..

this is due to the vette overheating and pulling timing on the engine, and thus limiting power. The zr1 front end should be on every vette. More vettes would sell if they had that front end. Instead, GM is worried about what old people think, too foolish to understand old people will buy an iphone once they are out, but will always say they hate the idea, if you ask them ahead of time.

From day 1, if I was in charge of corvette, and knew there was a heat issue, the front end of the car would have been wide open like the lambos are. I would have explained this is what supercars need to cool their super heat. No one would be able to argue, people would be excited vette entered a new level of performance.

People everywhere would have bought the car and saw the value.

Instead... "we have to make it look like the c5 and c6 or else people aren't going to like it!"

and meanwhile, headlines that "all corvette owners are angry their cars are overheating and 2 or 3 or 4 lawsuits are happening" (and this is after everyone is in VW dieselgate mode, so they think this is going to be similar because they dont understand it well)

and then people who decide to do further homework come to this forum to see half the people complaining that they are worried their car will over heat, when they have never driven their car on a racetrack in their life, nor do they ever plan to. And then we have people ******* the c7 that its not safe since it doesn't stop on its own (right here in this very thread)

So you tell me why sales are down? And i will tell you why the c8 will sell.... it wont have overheat issues due to the turbos and ability to front mount air to air intercool the boosted air. And if GM doesnt put a zr1 like front end on EVERY c8, then they deserve to fail.

If they put on a nose that breathes, even if it lacks all the intercoolers, It wont make negative headlines like the c7 did, and it wont have 50% of you pretending that its overheat issues or its flawed lap times relative to camaro, are going to hinder your ability to go to the grocery store just as fast if not faster than a camaro if you understood how to drive... understood physics... and werent looking forward to a computer that stops your car for you.

Genuinely, re-read what you guys have written here. Most of it is not impressive.

Function before looks, first and foremost. Corvettes are supposed to function as priority number 1... not be pretty as priority number 1. And definitely not "pretty for old people" as number 1. And then GM acts like its a giant mystery how to attract younger buyers? Really?

People will agree it looks good once they understand the practical function.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-14-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

this is due to the vette overheating and pulling timing on the engine, and thus limiting power. The zr1 front end should be on every vette. More vettes would sell if they had that front end. Instead, GM is worried about what old people think, too foolish to understand old people will buy an iphone once they are out, but will always say they hate the idea, if you ask them ahead of time.

From day 1, if I was in charge of corvette, and knew there was a heat issue, the front end of the car would have been wide open like the lambos are. I would have explained this is what supercars need to cool their super heat.

People everywhere would have bought the car.

Instead... "we have to make it look like the c5 and c6 or else people arent going to like it!"

and meanwhile, headlines that "all corvette owners are angry their cars are overheating"

and then people who decide to do further homework come to this forum to see half the people complaining that they are worried their car will over heat, when they have never driven their car on a racetrack in their life, nor do they ever plan to.

So you tell me why sales are down? And i will tell you why the c8 will sell.... it wont have overheat issues due to the turbos and ability to front mount air to air intercool the boosted air. And if GM doesnt put a zr1 like front end on EVERY c8, then they deserve to fail.

If they put on a nose that breathes, even if it lacks all the intercoolers, It wont make negative headlines like the c7 did, and it wont have 50% of you pretending that its overheat issues or its flawed lap times relative to camaro, are going to hinder your ability to go to the grocery store just as fast if not faster than a camaro if you understood how to drive... understood physics... and werent looking forward to a computer that stops your car for you.

Genuinely, re-read what you guys have written here. Most of it is not impressive.

Function over looks, first and foremost. People will agree it looks good once they understand the practical function.
The C7 wasn't designed for the "old guys". Just the opposite. That said, most of the buyers of the C7 has been the "old guy" as they are generally the one's that can afford one, especially the Z06 and ZR1.

When the C6 was originally released, I didn't care for it. But when the C6 Z06 was released with it's aggressive appearance, was sold. It did not have a front end with huge gapping holes etc that the C7 ZR1 has to have to keep cool. In fact, the grille opening wasn't hardly any larger than the base C6, yet the C6 Z06 moved the air very efficient to cool the C6 Z06's 505 HP and then then the exact same front end worked to keep the 638 HP C6 ZR1 cool. This old man(64 at the time) bought one of those C6 Z06's

Plenty of "souped up" C6's have well over 650 HP with stock front facias.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:18 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The C7 wasn't designed for the "old guys". Just the opposite. That said, most of the buyers of the C7 has been the "old guy" as they are generally the one's that can afford one, especially the Z06 and ZR1.
then who are all these guys in their 20's and 30's buying lambos and ferraris and porsches? and why arent they proud to buy a vette? Its not flashy enough, and rumor has it, they overheat. Its an old guy car.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:46 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

then who are all these guys in their 20's and 30's buying lambos and ferraris and porsches? and why arent they proud to buy a vette? Its not flashy enough, and rumor has it, they overheat. Its an old guy car.
Old or young, some prefer the professional track star/race car than a mere street car. And that's not where I and so many others fall. Give me a great looking and clean sports car devoid of ground effects then the same car configured for a track. Yup! C7 Stingray is my game and I love it And don't forget the chrome wheels..LOL. I have no interest in a wide-body C7 ZR1. When I saw one on the street a few weeks ago, that park bench on the rear and those gapping intake holes on the front it looked more like the driver got lost during a road race....
Old 07-14-2018, 03:59 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I don't happen to have a great love affair with the looks of the front end of the car, if the overall is fine.

What I do care about is for the car to have adequate cooling to make a 30 minute HPDE run in 103º Texas summer heat without having the water boil, the tranny fluid boil, the differential oil boil, the brake fluid boil, or the brake pads or rotors crumble due to heat.

Now, to be fair, GM should be able to put the amount of cooling in the car for the above purpose as long as the car is running on STREET tires.
Once you go to R-compound or Slicks, the driver/owner is responsible for the added heat these tires bring to the power delivery and power removal systems.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:33 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
I don't happen to have a great love affair with the looks of the front end of the car, if the overall is fine.

What I do care about is for the car to have adequate cooling to make a 30 minute HPDE run in 103º Texas summer heat without having the water boil, the tranny fluid boil, the differential oil boil, the brake fluid boil, or the brake pads or rotors crumble due to heat.

Now, to be fair, GM should be able to put the amount of cooling in the car for the above purpose as long as the car is running on STREET tires.
Once you go to R-compound or Slicks, the driver/owner is responsible for the added heat these tires bring to the power delivery and power removal systems.
I agree with all that you said, but would like to point out your tire comment at the end... doesn't make much sense since the pilot super sports can pull over 1.1 lateral g no problem and guys have used them to be within 2 seconds of their fastest laps at race tracks where they are in the top 1 percent with the R tires on.

The difference between the 2 tires does not affect the car to overheat or not overheat.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

any time i pushed hard that someone was wrong, rest assured, on that same topic, i am willing to place wagers that I am correct.
I think you have a gambling problem.....
Old 07-14-2018, 05:38 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,763 Likes on 4,217 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

you said the reason the front engine will be removed from the line is because it is dying, its sales are falling. Meanwhile, IT, THE FRONT ENGINE... is the number 1 seller.

People need space for golf clubs and luggage. If you think it is dying... place a wager. Otherwise, you are just here to argue against people, who have insider knowledge, and you don't even believe what you are saying enough, to put a fun wager behind your "belief" you are willing to argue and dispute us with. Which just makes you... annoying... from my point of view anyway.

Thats my belief. No math involved, so dont bother telling me im wrong to find you annoying please. To me, you are
I find it quite comical that you attempt to label Boiler_81 as unintelligent and unable to understand basic math (3 < 8) in his assertion (correct btw) that C7 sales are falling. Here's a little basic math for you:
2014 C7 US sales - 34,839
2015 C7 US sales - 33,329
2016 C7 US sales - 29,995
2017 C7 US sales - 25,079
2018 C7 US sales (to date) - 10,242 (projected ~20,500?)

My 9 year old can correctly determine that C7 sales are falling as correctly indicated by Boiler_81. As is the case with a large % of Corvette buyers, they will dump their current C7 when the C8 or whatever everyone with little knowledge claims it to be thus further flooding the used market of C7 which would definitely impact the new car sales of another year of C7 or FE C8. Your argument of "It's the #1 selling sports car over $50k is completely irrelevant to Boiler_81's point that sales are falling significantly (~40%) since this generation's introduction & that it wouldn't make sense to continue this generation along side the new ME. Turning an argument into personal attacks is a clear indicator that you're unable to back up your side of the argument with actual facts. Carry on.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
3 Z06ZR1 (07-21-2018), Boiler_81 (07-15-2018), JoesC5 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:06 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I find it quite comical that you attempt to label Boiler_81 as unintelligent and unable to understand basic math (3 < 8) in his assertion (correct btw) that C7 sales are falling. Here's a little basic math for you:
2014 C7 US sales - 34,839
2015 C7 US sales - 33,329
2016 C7 US sales - 29,995
2017 C7 US sales - 25,079
2018 C7 US sales (to date) - 10,242 (projected ~20,500?)

My 9 year old can correctly determine that C7 sales are falling as correctly indicated by Boiler_81. As is the case with a large % of Corvette buyers, they will dump their current C7 when the C8 or whatever everyone with little knowledge claims it to be thus further flooding the used market of C7 which would definitely impact the new car sales of another year of C7 or FE C8. Your argument of "It's the #1 selling sports car over $50k is completely irrelevant to Boiler_81's point that sales are falling significantly (~40%) since this generation's introduction & that it wouldn't make sense to continue this generation along side the new ME. Turning an argument into personal attacks is a clear indicator that you're unable to back up your side of the argument with actual facts. Carry on.
you failed to read my next posts where i go onto explain that ALL sports cars numbers have fallen due the fact that the pie is split more ways as more models by more manufacturers have entered the scene in the last 20 years. Porsche cayman, boxter isnt that much older than 20 years... you guys still think that being number 1... is a horrible thing... even if it fell to 10th place, it would still be ahead of of 3/4 sports car models out there.

Can your 9 year old read more than one post before it gets excited it found a flaw, or is it also like its dad?
Old 07-14-2018, 06:10 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

ps, probably not a wise choice to bring our children into fight provoking comments on corvette forum huh?

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Old 07-14-2018, 06:40 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,763 Likes on 4,217 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

you failed to read my next posts where i go onto explain that ALL sports cars numbers have fallen due the fact that the pie is split more ways as more models by more manufacturers have entered the scene in the last 20 years. Porsche cayman, boxter isnt that much older than 20 years... you guys still think that being number 1... is a horrible thing... even if it fell to 10th place, it would still be ahead of of 3/4 sports car models out there.

Can your 9 year old read more than one post before it gets excited it found a flaw, or is it also like its dad?
Again your comparison to where the C7 sits vs other manufacturers & their models is irrelevant to the point Boiler_81 and others have made, as well as you backtracking on your original argument by now conceding that ALL sports cars numbers have fallen . "The empty vessel makes the loudest sound" - WS
Old 07-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

those guys buying the exotics are looking for flashy and expensive. The corvette has always been the common mans sports car. Most people in that bracket just dont have the income to spend on a 75k or 100k two seater while other priorities are around so as buying a house and raising kids. I have a 2019 z06 arriving in a week or two and I am in my early 30s. Would have loved to buy a vette in my 20s but i spent that time and money by building up my company and portfolio of rental homes which now can pay for the z06.

in reality though, most people will buy once their kids move out and they have the ability to spend their hard earned money hence why most owners are older. Nothing to do with what the vette is or how it looks.

my opinion ofcourse and it may be different from others
Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i should have added GTR in there as well. There are people who want the fastest... and they want to be known for having the fastest... corvette could be there if they wanted to be. No one is going to NOT buy a vette due to the front end being more aggressive like a lambo or forg gt. Chevy is dumb not to open up the nose on the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...