Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

So nothing other than one CF member saying he saw them at the track?
then assume he is lying if you like. I dont think he is.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

So nothing other than one CF member saying he saw them at the track?
Skank said he saw some Stingrays/ZR1's/Camaros being run by some GM powertrain engineers. They were not camo'd (nor did he say they were), nor did the engineers confirm that they were testing a new SBC. Skank asked them and got no answer. His (Skank's) post was clear as a bell to anyone WITHOUT an agenda.
It's all in post #7. The OP is so desperate to be right that he's grabbing anything he can.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
With the exception of Sub Driver, this thread just got horrible.

These guys are now playing stupid and pretending they dont understand that the chassis of all c7 are relatively the same, and the sub models work off that similar chassis.

I assume they are "playing". I hope they arent really this dumb.

How can we legally get them out of here? Im going to abandon this thread and tell a moderator to close it if they dont leave.
The capitain shouldn’t abandon his sinking ship...
You must keep your thread open at least till the mid engine debut...

Someone’s got to go to Detroit on national TV and tell them that’s not a corvette,and nor is it the eighth generation of the car...not to mention that it’s built like a tin can ,and that it will retract like a “slinky” upon impact.

Maybe we could talk GM big shots and head engineers into some crafty parlay bet ...
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pietro c7

The capitain shouldn’t abandon his sinking ship...
You must keep your thread open at least till the mid engine debut...

Someone’s got to go to Detroit on national TV and tell them that’s not a corvette,and nor is it the eighth generation of the car...not to mention that it’s built like a tin can ,and that it will retract like a “slinky” upon impact.

Maybe we could talk GM big shots and head engineers into some crafty parlay bet ...
IF they want to make the bet that the same type of material, thickness and weight of material is used... in a cockpit... apples to apples, and want to bet against me that the front engine will result in a worse outcome for the driver than a mid engine will, if both cars are ran into another vehicle head on, at 70mph, i would love to take that bet.

See if you can arrange it
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
While we call each Corvette by it's generation (C1 - C7), GM does NOT officially call the cars that....they are just "Corvettes".

So, there are 4 models of the C6 and 4 models of the C7....and the ONLY reference to the term "C6 or C7" is actually the RACECAR (with the addition of an "R") designation showing up on ONE model (the Z06).
NO ONE is arguing that Tadge and Tom and Harlan and whoever else in Team Corvette USE the term "C7", the point is that "C7" is NOT the model name. Nothing more, nothing less. I agree it's a stupid argument which the OP started by asking if the ME or some FE car Corvette (that may or may not happen) would be called the "C8". From a GM designation standpoint, NEITHER will be but the OP clearly loves arguing and betting and just refuses to grasp what is being said. I'm done.
Why did you change your claim from "GM does NOT officially call the cars that" to "C7 is not the model name"? The brochures I linked above shows that GM does in fact refer to the different generations as C6, C7, etc. Are you really going to argue that they only call the racecars by C6, C7, etc but then call the road going versions something else? At this point, with you trying to move the goal posts you just look silly. If you can find anything to the contrary that proves your point (you know like posting links to evidence like I did) go ahead. Otherwise, any response on your end is just an opinion and one that has been proven wrong.
Mikec7z (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Why did you change your claim from "GM does NOT officially call the cars that" to "C7 is not the model name"?
because he wants us to ignore him, please do so also so i dont have to read his nonsense anymore
Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Why did you change your claim from "GM does NOT officially call the cars that" to "C7 is not the model name"? The brochures I linked above shows that GM does in fact refer to the different generations as C6, C7, etc. Are you really going to argue that they only call the racecars by C6, C7, etc but then call the road going versions something else? At this point, with you trying to move the goal posts you just look silly. If you can find anything to the contrary that proves your point (you know like posting links to evidence like I did) go ahead. Otherwise, any response on your end is just an opinion and one that has been proven wrong.
You posted links that show the RACE CARS go by the "C6" or "C7" moniker followed by (.R). I just looked through every one of those brochures. No where do they call the road cars C6's or C7's. I'm sorry, they just DON'T. If that is "moving the goalposts", then guilty as charged. My entire point this whole time is that C1/2/3/4/5/6/7 is NOT the official model name of our Corvettes, and no, you didn't find ANYTHING to the contrary (since you and Mike are hair splitting, I will give you the paint and tape special C7.R that they offered as a PACKAGE.)

PS. I have no idea what GM will OFFICIALLY call the ME car OR a future FE car (based on the Stingray). Maybe they will since everyone has fallen love with putting numbers in MODEL names (CT6 as an example). But TODAY, that is NOT the case. Dress it up anyway you want.

Last edited by jimmyb; 07-17-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:57 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Agreed this thread has drifted from one topic to the next. Who gives a darn what GM or anyone else call the mid engine ? Logic would be it's the C8 as it is the 8th genration of the Corvette. Maybe if GM produces a replacement for the front engine Corvette it would be the 9th iteration of the Corvette seeing how it followed the mid engine.

Why any one would spend hours on this is pointless.

Who here really cares what its called. All I care about is GM gives us a world leader in technology and that the mid engine advances the Corvette in both performance and technology over the prior genration.

Also this constant wanting to gamble on who right and who is wrong is crazy.

Mods should shut this thread down just to show Corvette Forum does not condone or promote illegal gamble on its forum.

Unfortunately it's seem clear that MikeC7 has a need to be right on all subject on this tread and seem he may have a serious gambling addition .

That is no laughing matter as its a serious problem for someone who feels compelled to place a wager on such meaningless topic and subject.

I find it hard to believe that the mods have allowed this tread to go so far of course. I seen then close thread for much less than how far of course this tread has become.

One other thing that I see an issue with is MikeC7 seems to think because he started this tread that he somehow has a right to tell fellow forum member if they have a right to comment.

Mike this is a public forum you do not own this tread nor do you have the right to tell fellow forum members if they can or cannot partisipate on this tread or any other.

MODS PLEASE SHUT THIS TREAD DOWN.
Looks like the mods are on summer vacation? I have seen many treads closed that we far less out of control that this tread is now and has been for well over a week of insults and complete lack of any decorum by the OP.

It's a shame that such a recent member does not understand that we are all Corvette enthusiasts here on the forum and the WHOLE idea is to share opinion and share our collective knowledge with other Corvette lovers .

No need for all these insults over something as stupid as if the next generation is called a C8 or not.

I do know one thing. The OP and everyone else on this tread is ON the C8 forum and the topics about the cars on the C8 forum are overwhelming about the upcoming mid engine Corvette.

Last I don't think the Mods should allow or condon what amounts to illegal gambling on this forum.

The OP clearly has a gambling addition that as plan to see. Sound like his father had the same issue as per the OP the way to settle any debate is to gamble.

I hope the mods just close this tread and more importantly we can all share opinions and knowledge in a friendly way going forward.
dreamr616 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Looks like the mods are on summer vacation? I have seen many treads closed that we far less out of control that this tread is now and has been for well over a week of insults and complete lack of any decorum by the OP.

It's a shame that such a recent member does not understand that we are all Corvette enthusiasts here on the forum and the WHOLE idea is to share opinion and share our collective knowledge with other Corvette lovers .

No need for all these insults over something as stupid as if the next generation is called a C8 or not.

I do know one thing. The OP and everyone else on this tread is ON the C8 forum and the topics about the cars on the C8 forum are overwhelming about the upcoming mid engine Corvette.

Last I don't think the Mods should allow or condon what amounts to illegal gambling on this forum.

The OP clearly has a gambling addition that as plan to see. Sound like his father had the same issue as per the OP the way to settle any debate is to gamble.

I hope the mods just close this tread and more importantly we can all share opinions and knowledge in a friendly way going forward.

there is a difference between betting on dice and pure games of chance with the house taking a cut....

VS winning a race and a reward, or getting a question correct and getting a reward.

If you prefer, he and I can each put in 100 dollar entry fee to enter a competition, and winner takes all on who wins the competition, and the competition is "who can answer the most question right about reality concerning the c7 and what GM calls the car"... its the same thing, and its legal.

Your post is a sob story, if you don't like it here, go to the next thread like all the other adults do, and like i do when i see a thread i think is a joke.

If someone comes in and derails your thread, should i walk in and say "shut it down"?

I'm not against the thread being closed honestly, i said what i came to say, i'm just amazed that you think it should be your call on it closing, and people who insist they are right, who wont go away, who are clearly wrong... wont leave, and continue to derail it as they argue over nonsense.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-18-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

While I don't agree with his assertion about naming conventions for corvette generations (and neither does GM) this statement is just silly. No one is condoning anything illegal. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 07-17-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I think the answer to the original question will actually be pretty simple. If the reveal the mid engine Corvette and, at that time, introduce it as the "Eighth Generation of the Corvette" we will most likely not see a Front Engine car to follow. From a marketing standpoint, I would think that would be like going backwards. However, if they introduce the mid engine car with a sub model variant name, like the Corvette Z-whatever and make no mention of it as the next generation, then we will most likely see a front engine car to follow as the eighth generation. At least that's how I see it.
Mikec7z (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Ok, I think a question on the Corvette model nomenclature is in order for the Ask Tadge Poll. Or maybe we need to have a Ask Harlen Poll. Each generational change usually was developed on a well defined chassis that was different from the prior generation chassis. I always thought that it was a mistake to assume this new ME Corvette was a C8 by this forum. From the C7 all the way back to the C1 the car was based on the front engined configuration. While the mid engine car will still be considered a Corvette I believe the use of the Zora name will indicate it as a model. The Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, and ZR1 names should remain as a front engined model name only thereby requiring a separate generational nomenclature for the mid engine car itself.

Last edited by skank; 07-18-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Thank goodness there isn't the spastic model nomenclature that Porsche put their customers through. The 993 then the 996 then the 997 and now full circle back to the 991. Then they created the first and second iterations of each generation (991-1, 991-2, 997-1, 997-2.......) Totally spastic !

Last edited by skank; 07-18-2018 at 10:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
ArmchairArchitect (07-19-2018), Mikec7z (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
A friend of mine who is connected and is usually spot on with corvette predictions, said that his source told him that in 2021 model year, the front engine car is going to get a revamp. The mid engine will be released next year, as a 2020 model he said, but the front engine corvette is not going away, which I already believed, but he says it is getting a face lift. I am not sure if they are going to do a drastic change or if it will just be all corvettes getting a zr1 like front end that breathes better and maybe a few more intercoolers, or what the deal will be. He said that dealers lack inventory on c7 and zr1 as production has slowed down due to constraints on certain pieces and parts supplied.

Curious if this 2021 new front engine body or car, was public knowledge already? First I have heard of it. I imagine they would start putting in the newer dohc motors into the front engine cars, if they are going to continue to make them, so it will be exciting. He went so far as to say, the C8 is what the 2021 front engine car will be called, and the mid engine will carry the name Zora.
My local dealer is mum on the subject of when the new gen will be available.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:09 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

At this point anyone who knows anything isn't talking.. and anyone that's talking probably doesn't really know anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeG37:
3 Z06ZR1 (07-21-2018), dreamr616 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by skank
Ok, I think a question on the Corvette model nomenclature is in order for the Ask Tadge Poll. Or maybe we need to have a Ask Harlen Poll. Each generational change usually was developed on a well defined chassis that was different from the prior generation chassis. I always thought that it was a mistake to assume this new ME Corvette was a C8 by this forum. From the C7 all the way back to the C1 the car was based on the front engined configuration. While the mid engine car will still be considered a Corvette I believe the use of the Zora name will indicate it as a model. The Stingray, Grand Sport, ZO6, and ZR1 names should remain as a front engined model name only thereby requiring a separate generational nomenclature for the mid engine car itself.
Just for the sake of correctness, the chassis hasn't changed with each new generation. C2/C3 shared the same chassis, C5/C6 shared the same chassis (excluding C6 Z06/ZR1)

Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
At this point anyone who knows anything isn't talking.. and anyone that's talking probably doesn't really know anything.
Bingo we have a winner!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37

I work for a large volume Chevrolet dealer and I can guarantee you that if any of the Chevrolet reps or managers we deal with were to mention ANYTHING about what they may know regarding a new Corvette until it's actually release they'd be looking for a new job. Even the "connected" friends I know when I worked at GM wouldn't consider devulging information like that. GM has internal security just like most major corporations and if an employee leaked privileged information they weren't supposed to, trust me, they find out who did it and that individual would not only be gone but could face legal action as well.

I'm sure vetteman41960 is aware of that just like I am based on his position at a GM dealership.

Last edited by dreamr616; 07-19-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Just for the sake of correctness, the chassis hasn't changed with each new generation. C2/C3 shared the same chassis, C5/C6 shared the same chassis (excluding C6 Z06/ZR1)
Correct that the C3 used the C2's frame/chassis/running gear but the C6 did not use the C5's space frame/chassis. 80% of the C6 was new and part of that was a longer wheelbase space frame. While the C6's space frame appeared to be the same as the C5's, it was all new.
skank (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:26 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
While the C7's sales in the first 6 months of 2018 have dropped some 26% from the first 6 months of 2017, the sales of the Boxster/cayman had risen some 23% during the same time period, and the 911 sales have risen some 10% during the same time period. US sales.

Your assertion that ALL sports car sales have dropped is factually false.
I recalled seeing the frame for the C7 and thinking, "hmmm that looks like it could accommodate a mid engine."

Quick Reply: 2020 will be mid engine release, and 2021 will be a new front engine model also?...