Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual a thing of the past?

Old 07-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
NONSENSE........ While a fully automatic C6 upshifts extremely well for what it is.... In AUTO or PADDLE mode, and fantastically better after I've tuned it up....

Don't think that you or any real professional "DRIVER / "SHIFTER" can out SHIFT a C7 with a proper tune.... IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

And that is why GM isn't going to make a stick any more..... Now-a-days.... You CAN'T out do the computer and for those of you who think you're AMAZING

stick shifters.... All you're doing is grinding and breaking 100 year old technology synchronized manual transmissions into bits so your car can come off the

road sooner to have major repairs made......Again, REGARDLESS of how good of a "shifter" you think you are..... the antiquated synchros are like aggressive

race brake pads destroying your rotors with every touch of the pedal..... While the new Automatics will last way longer, shift faster, and win more races.....

That's why there will be not more sticks.... it's 100+ year old silly stuff.

NOW, I wouldn't want an AUTOMATIC C2 or C3 Corvette..... but again, the automatics are sooo far advanced now you're insane no to have one.

You can't even buy a stick shift truck any more either..... cause they fall apart prematurely..... OLD SCHOOL STUFF.....

Chuck CoW
I do not get the grinding breaking parts of your post. I drive sticks on the street for the past 35 yrs and have never had an issue related to using a clutch. I don’ t care how fast a dct shifts as I am not racing just having fun while driving on the street and I totally enjoy the art of a good shift by proper feathering of the gas and the clutch. Pushing a paddle in is boring to me. No stick in the c8 will result in lost corvette sales due to the current demographics of the vette.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

There are several manufacturers that only have a DCT transmission available in their Sports cars", such as the AMG GT, Acura NSX and the Aston Martin.

I was reading an article earlier this morning on the new Toyota Supra. Appears that it is a front engine, rear wheel drive with a 591 HP inline 6 and a transaxle that most likely will be a DCT. I don't believe that Toyota has actually released the specs on the car though.

BMW is supposed to have a similar car built on the same platform being developed as they have a "working agreement" with Toyota.

It appears that not every manufacturer is sold on mid engine sports cars with manual transmissions.

Of course, we also know that Acura totally mis-read the market for a mid engine hybrid sports car. I'm sure that when they were developing the New NSX, that they never thought there was only a market for 5 or 6 a month in sales in the USA. Their original sales forecast was for approximately 2,000 cars annually, with 90% of the cars for the USA and 10% of them for Japan.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-17-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There are several manufacturers that only have a DCT transmission available in their Sports cars", such as the AMG GT, Acura NSX and the Aston Martin.

I was reading an article earlier this morning on the new Toyota Supra. Appears that it is a front engine, rear wheel drive with a 591 HP inline 6 and a transaxle that most likely will be a DCT. I don't believe that Toyota has actually released the specs on the car though.

BMW is supposed to have a similar car built on the same platform being developed as they have a "working agreement" with Toyota.

It appears that not every manufacturer is sold on mid engine sports cars with manual transmissions.

Of course, we also know that Acura totally mis-read the market for a mid engine hybrid sports car. I'm sure that when they were developing the New NSX, that they never thought there was only a market for 5 or 6 a month in sales in the USA. Their original sales forecast was for approximately 2,000 cars annually, with 90% of the cars for the USA and 10% of them for Japan.
Aston Martin offers a stick in their Vantage model
Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corgidog1

Aston Martin offers a stick in their Vantage model
I knew that the vantage had a ZF auto as their only transmission with a purposed manual transmission for release down the road, but I wasn't aware that you could walk into their showroom and buy one off the floor today. Are you sure you can?

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Oops the new vantage eliminated the stick. If I recall correctly the AM website listed a stick for the vantage vert in 2017

Last edited by Corgidog1; 07-17-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:16 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
A DCT is an automatic as automobile manufacturers use the term. Look at their websites.
So, under this definition, if somebody had a 3 pedal manual, and hooked up some servo motors so that the clutch and transmission would shift all by themseelves, then that manual transmission would suddenly become an automatic !?!

{And yes I have known that slush boxes have internal clutch packs for at least 45 years; and that moden slush boxes have a lock up clutch.}
Old 07-17-2018, 09:30 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I would guess you never did slot cars as a kid, or RC Cars today. Tuning with electric cars is very possible with electric cars. People used to rewind the motors in slot cars to make them faster. In RC cars today, electric is the hot setup. There are many choices of replacement electric motors. Also controllers can be replaced to allow more voltage and amperage. Also the controller may control how quickly voltage/current is ramped up to control the violence of acceleration. That could also be "tuned".

All that said, I am not suggesting the Corvette will go all electric anytime soon.
Of course you CAN tune an all-electric car. But once you buy into the electric car much of the appeal of the sports car is gone. I don't think tuners realize this yet but the same thing that's killing the stick is what's going to kill their business. You have to want to row gears, to try 2 clutch plates of different pressure, and 5 clutch discs of various compounds. Sometimes it's nice to swap them in yourself. Then you're going to want to find similarly passionate folk that want to dable in a mix of parts choice, mechanic prowess, and drivers's skill.

You couldn't force me to enjoy tossing a Tesla on track, or rather it let it toss itself. It will be something one would try once, and if they want do maybe do it a second time at most, they'll just buy the newer model.

We're transitioning to a society that uses cars to go from A to B, or might not even use cars that much.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 PM
ender2664
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
So, under this definition, if somebody had a 3 pedal manual, and hooked up some servo motors so that the clutch and transmission would shift all by themseelves, then that manual transmission would suddenly become an automatic !?!

{And yes I have known that slush boxes have internal clutch packs for at least 45 years; and that moden slush boxes have a lock up clutch.}
no third pedal=automatic
there are many types of automatics
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Dethsupp0rt
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
The other thing that's going to bite the dust with the "OLD SCHOOL" stick, is going to be tuning. Tuning is going to be "100+ year old silly stuff" with fully electric cars.
Nah. You show me a car, I'll show you someone who can make it faster. That will never change.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Yes. Sounds like BMWs SMG. Straight up auto.

Last edited by NY09C6; 07-17-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:25 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Yep because, duh, it works AUTOMATICALLY. Just a different type of automatic.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:43 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Read the article again. The Supra race car is 591hp; the street car will only have around 335hp: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-what-we-know/
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Read the article again. The Supra race car is 591hp; the street car will only have around 335hp: https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-what-we-know/
The particular article I read only mentioned the 591 HP and that is the basis for my post. No mention of any other engines were made.

I see in a later article, that there will be a 261 HP 2.0L 4 banger and a 335 HP 3.0L six. That article also states that the Supra will only have a ZF automatic, and the BMW version will have a manual transmission.

Will the 591 HP engine ONLY be available in a "race car" built by Toyota that is illegal to license for the street?

Hard to believe that Toyota would underpower a new sports car by so much. But then I see the 2019 Audi TT will have a 197 HP 2L and a 245 High Output version, and the TTS will have 306 HP. I doubt that those cars will be stealing any Corvette owners.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-18-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:41 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I dunno. The Boxster and Cayman seem to have a strong pull with Corvette owners/buyers. And they've now got at least one version with a 4 cyl. On review, it could be the only engine they've got but it is 300 or so HP.

Last edited by AORoads; 07-18-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:56 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Disclaimer: I haven't read some of the posts in this thread, so I apologize if I repeat something that has been said ad-nauseam

technically, we're talking about three transmissions...

There is the manual transmission we all know and love. Three pedals and a shifter

The Automatic transmission we like to call a "slushbox." That has a torque converter and a series of clutch packs.

And there is what's known as the DCT, SMG, SMT, etc.

That is a "manual" (meaning gears, synchros, and forks) transmission that uses an electronically actuated clutch (not all have dual clutches, btw) and, it will also shift automatically if you prefer.

Today's full automatics (the 8 speed in the Challenger Hellcat, for example) can shift lightning fast. Much faster, in fact, and even the best Manual. As a matter of fact, the time it takes to shift gears in the new automatics would give most DCTs a run for their money. A manual transmission Hellcat gives up something like .5 seconds to an automatic in the 1/4 mile. They can be paddle-shifted like DCTs and generally work just as well as DCTs.

And like DCTs...I loathe them.

Give me a clutch any day. I like feeling connected to the car I'm driving. Yeah...it can be a pain in the *** in heavy traffic, but to me, it's a small price to pay.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that, in high end performance cars, at least, we are seeing the beginning of the end of the clutch pedal.

Last edited by 70RT440; 07-18-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
I dunno. The Boxster and Cayman seem to have a strong pull with Corvette owners/buyers. And they've now got at least one version with a 4 cyl. On review, it could be the only engine they've got but it is 300 or so HP.
While the Cayman base has a 300 HP turbo 4 banger, the Cayman GTS has a 365 HP turbo 4 banger, but only weighs 3032 pounds with the manual transmission, and 3098 pounds with the PDK transmission(DCT).

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-18-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:29 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
Nah. You show me a car, I'll show you someone who can make it faster. That will never change.
It will change. It will take you much longer to find a person who is into cars. Tuning is a big market now, if it dwindles down to 1% of what it is I call that as good as gone. I had to sign petitions to help prevent governing bodies from outlawing aftermarket parts. It matters how many sigs you get.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual a thing of the past?

Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

All the more reason to keep our old cars running. Manual transmissions, like internal combustion engines are going away. At least in new cars. I wonder if cars with internal combustion engines will still be available in 30 years?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
All the more reason to keep our old cars running. Manual transmissions, like internal combustion engines are going away. At least in new cars. I wonder if cars with internal combustion engines will still be available in 30 years?
I'm guessing yes with special permit and off-public roads only. It will be a rich man sport. If electric prevails the government will want everyone to switch to it and there will be strong disincentives to burn fossil fuels.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:53 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

While the Cayman base has a 300 HP turbo 4 banger, the Cayman GTS has a 365 HP turbo 4 banger, but only weighs 3032 pounds with the manual transmission, and 3098 pounds with the PDK transmission(DCT).
And the Cayman S has 350 HP. So three models instead of 2 to choose from.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual a thing of the past?