Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Ill spend one day in those cars and will never do it again. To me those cars are all garbage if all that is involved to drive it is click a flappy paddle
Well there a 1st time for everything. I don't every recall any car enthusiasts or review refer to the Ferrari 458 as garbage. Which someone had let me know before I fell in love with the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
elegant (08-19-2018), Rapid Fred (08-19-2018), Wadoka (08-26-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 10:23 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Well there a 1st time for everything. I don't every recall any car enthusiasts or review refer to the Ferrari 458 as garbage. Which someone had let me know before I fell in love with the car.

no joke bro... 458 very slick ride...

this forum can remind some people why a skateboarder smashed his wheels into a mclaren... there is a different state of mind in some. gb3000
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Hey man. Let me know when the garbage is cillected at your house. I'll make sure I recycle that 458 for ya.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

First I hope and think GM will eventually offer a manual ME if they can sell enough to be profitable. Manufacturing one trans now is less costly coming out of the gates for GM. Let’s not forget Porsche ate their pride and now makes the latest generation GT3 in a manual.

The GTR is an appliance most boring overweight car I have ever driven, have many previous owners I know echo my words.. The aftermarket company JoeTech are good friends of mine, I drove their fastest GTR. It’s fast and has incredible stats but not even close to a Ferrari,Lambo in DCT and steering feel. For those that get a chance to drive a modern day Ferrari with a DCT it’s unbelievable and I am a manual purest. I was so angry after driving a 458 Specials (4 plus hours) I sold my car the following week. Their that good which is why many of the car magazines even Top Gear guys say its one of their favorite brands. Selling my v8 R8 manual last year was tough and I can’t wait to replace it with a gated R8 V10 Manual.

I am not trying to change opinions about manuals verses DCT. But one thing we all need to know not all Dual clutch transmission are alike. If the new ME,s DCT is more like a GTR instead of a Ferrari, all I can say (Houston we have a problem)
Kenny would be sad you misspelled his company's name - Jotech. I owned a GT-R between several Vettes and Vipers and agree they're too heavy. Fun to launch though.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

A GM engineer recently told me the reason the C8 will not have a manual trans is because over the past few years only 2-3% of Vettes produced have a manual trans. This was a big surprise to me as I always thought it was 25%. I was also told in a few years the C8 will replace the front engine car. The base C8 will be priced around $60K. Future Z06 and ZR1 versions will be priced higher. I hope when the C8 comes out the price of the current ZR1 will come down. Would like to trade my 2017 Grand Sport for one. Won't buy a C8 as I must have a manual trans.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
A GM engineer recently told me the reason the C8 will not have a manual trans is because over the past few years only 2-3% of Vettes produced have a manual trans. This was a big surprise to me as I always thought it was 25%. I was also told in a few years the C8 will replace the front engine car. The base C8 will be priced around $60K. Future Z06 and ZR1 versions will be priced higher. I hope when the C8 comes out the price of the current ZR1 will come down. Would like to trade my 2017 Grand Sport for one. Won't buy a C8 as I must have a manual trans.
False. Its funny how some people spout completely wrong information that is so easily refuted. Both in 2016 and 2017 the production of manual cars was 23% of the total. I wouldn't believe a word out of this "GM engineer's" mouth if he got that so wrong.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/2016-...bers-released/
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/2017-...orvette-stats/
The following 2 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
ByByBMW (08-21-2018), pdiddy972 (09-03-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
False. Its funny how some people spout completely wrong information that is so easily refuted. Both in 2016 and 2017 the production of manual cars was 23% of the total. I wouldn't believe a word out of this "GM engineer's" mouth if he got that so wrong.

https://www.corvettemuseum.org/2016-...bers-released/
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/2017-...orvette-stats/
Thanks for this info. I didn't think the 2-3% was right. This makes me optimistic that GM will eventually offer the C8 with a manual trans. If the C8 replaces the front engine car but they don't offer a manual then GM would lose 23% of their sales. Can't believe they are willing to do that.

Last edited by TJC333; 08-22-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:05 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Humans driving new cars will be a thing of the past in probably less than 10 years. They should offer a manual so we can enjoy the entire driving experience, while driving is still around.
Yes but only if it includes the outside crank handle to start the car, no need for a starter to interfere with the entire 'driving experience'........
Old 08-22-2018, 03:32 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by TJC333
Thanks for this info. I didn't think the 2-3% was right. This makes me optimistic that GM will eventually offer the C8 with a manual trans. If the C8 replaces the front engine car but they don't offer a manual then GM would lose 23% of their sales. Can't believe they are willing to do that.
My last Corvette before my current 2012 GS with an auto, was a 2008 Z06. Your stating that GM would lose 23% assumes EVERY person that buys a stick won't buy an auto. I am living proof that isn't correct. There is no way to know how many folks will not buy an auto vette. If their DCT is anywhere close to the performance of the Porsche PDK, I suspect there will be a few eyes opened when they drive one, just like mine were.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:51 PM
DocHollywood
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been a member of the Church of the 3rd pedal for 25 years of driving. I always viewed others who bought autos as posers that "dont get it". My conversion to the "dont get it" camp happened quick. I test drove a 2014 911 with PDK. In sport+, hammering the throttle and having it down shift twice as the pedal hit the floor... I was in shock.. all my years of arrogance vanished in that instant.

Though I currently drive a 17' manual GS, the next car will be an automatic. I refuse to drive a car that can't beat a completely stock automatic mustang in a street race.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Yes but only if it includes the outside crank handle to start the car, no need for a starter to interfere with the entire 'driving experience'........
My Dad had an old MG TD that had that, which I drove on occasion.. It actually was pretty fun cranking up the car. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:06 PM
tom1fastcar
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
The problem with the discussion is the amount of emotion, hatred and bias against the word "automatic".

The term has become associated with inefficient slushboxes of yore.

We just need a new term that means that the transmission can shift automatically if desired, or manually too.

VW use "DSG" for Direct shift gearbox.
NO---not necessarily, to use a clutch and shift a car manually requires both a modicum of skill and greatly enhanced driver involvement. Having driven an F430, a Gallardo, and a a Mercedes Mclaren SLR I came away feeling that the GT3 and DB7 were more fun to drive as they were the only ones with manuals. For city people I'd also probably own an auto but then again I'd slit my wrists if I had to live in a city and waste my life sitting in traffic.
The following users liked this post:
TheC5Surgeon (08-22-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:47 PM
rigelkentaurus
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 50 Posts

I just ordered a 2019 GS convertible with a manual with expected delivery in mid-October. I am also 3 years into a rebuild of my 1968 Ford XL Convertible and bought a Tremec M6 to hook to its new Coyote engine. When I choose to sell the 2019 GS, I expect I would buy a C8 with a manual, or it manuals are not available, I will be looking to purchase either a 1962 or a C2 and put a manual in it with a current ~500hp engine. I'm not a racer, so faster shifts is not important, it is all about being engaged in the driving process for me.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:14 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
if you were to take the time to investigate the "workings" a "slushbox" automatic, then you would discover that they also have internal clutches.
Beside the lockup clutch, you mean in the "planetary" gear set or similar. That clutch is controlled via the torque converter-> hydraulic pump, so not under our control directly.

Originally Posted by tom1fastcar
...more fun to drive as they were the only ones with manuals. For city people I'd also probably own an auto but then again I'd slit my wrists if I had to live in a city and waste my life sitting in traffic.
Yea on being more fun to drive.
I found myself NOT enjoying my '17 C7GS A8 as much as I should.
It's my weekend toy and not my DD, so I didn't need the auto convenience.
So, I traded it in (with 8k miles) for a leftover new '17 C7Z M7 and i'm not regretting it at all!

Last edited by Parcival; 08-23-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:56 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Rumor: Mustang Shelby GT500 Won’t Have Manual Gearbox

https://www.motor1.com/news/264364/m...-transmission/

Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt
It's been a thing of the past for the last 15 years or so, just like the ICE will be a thing of the past in another 15 years. Technology progresses, some people don't want to, and that's fine.
Is this ALGORE
The following 2 users liked this post by GARYFINN:
bebezote (09-08-2018), Jedi-Jurist (09-08-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
At one time a majority would never give up their horse for the horseless carriage. Manual has been going away for some time. Internal combustion engines will mostly go away as well. Perhaps the discussion moves to manual or auto electric cars. That is if we are allowed to own a car you can drive yourself. The only question is how far down the road.
couple of regulatory points to consider. The corvette is still a relatively low volume sports car (35k or less generally). Chevy would have to certify both the auto and DCT or auto tranny which adds to the cost and parts bin.

In addition, driver-less cars will be held up for many years for the regulatory wheels to turn (10 years or more) to properly govern driverless accidents ect. Even with "tried and true" technology the regulatory process is very slow in comparison to the pace of technology. Autonomous cars are a ways out despite the level of technology.

I agree that "the joy of the stick" is systematically being engineered out of the vette as the DCT which everyone has been clamoring for gets cheaper and will work over a longer service life.

When you have "full command" of the gear selection would you miss the clutch as much? I know that when something comes our way that makes changing clutches obsolete, gives a GREAT driving experience, AND is faster and affordable, I won't miss the clutch that much.

I'll keep my old stick cars as long as I can, but I for one am looking forward to something much better.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual a thing of the past?

Old 09-03-2018, 12:46 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

There are several manufacturers that only have a DCT transmission available in their Sports cars", such as the AMG GT, Acura NSX and the Aston Martin.

I was reading an article earlier this morning on the new Toyota Supra. Appears that it is a front engine, rear wheel drive with a 591 HP inline 6 and a transaxle that most likely will be a DCT. I don't believe that Toyota has actually released the specs on the car though.

BMW is supposed to have a similar car built on the same platform being developed as they have a "working agreement" with Toyota.

It appears that not every manufacturer is sold on mid engine sports cars with manual transmissions.

Of course, we also know that Acura totally mis-read the market for a mid engine hybrid sports car. I'm sure that when they were developing the New NSX, that they never thought there was only a market for 5 or 6 a month in sales in the USA. Their original sales forecast was for approximately 2,000 cars annually, with 90% of the cars for the USA and 10% of them for Japan.
I don’t think that was the NSX’s issue. It was that it’s a dog performer and other cars at the same price stomp it.

Originally Posted by Michael A
Funny how that "low powered" Cayman S is faster than a Corvette Grand Sport.
Faster at what?

VIR

Cayman S - 3:02.6
Corvette Grand Sport - 2:47.1

Thats an INFINITY.

Originally Posted by sjhanc
The question of which is the best is always decided by which makes the car faster in a race. In the old days automatics were always slower (except for special 'racing' transmissions) so the guys for whom 'Winning the race' was the only consideration chose manuals for the quicker shift times. Now, no 'clutch foot' can beat a paddle shift transmission in shift time so the guys for whom 'Winning the race' is the ONLY acceptable result are not going to accept being beat by that damn 'automatic slush-box paddle shifter' in the next lane. As long as the manufacturers provide the slower 'clutch foot cars' for the purists, you can have your cake if manual shifting is what you want, BUT, you can't 'EAT THE CAKE' too by always winning the race. The races will be decided by 'whoever' can control the car's traction problem the best, which was always the next thing a guy driving a powerful car had to do.
The fact so many of us choose manuals, knowing full well we won’t “win the race”, seems to refute the idea that we have to win the race. We’re obviously choosing what we like over being the fastest example of that car.

The particular article I read only mentioned the 591 HP and that is the basis for my post. No mention of any other engines were made.

I see in a later article, that there will be a 261 HP 2.0L 4 banger and a 335 HP 3.0L six. That article also states that the Supra will only have a ZF automatic, and the BMW version will have a manual transmission.

Will the 591 HP engine ONLY be available in a "race car" built by Toyota that is illegal to license for the street?

Hard to believe that Toyota would underpower a new sports car by so much. But then I see the 2019 Audi TT will have a 197 HP 2L and a 245 High Output version, and the TTS will have 306 HP. I doubt that those cars will be stealing any Corvette owners.
Underpower? That’s essentially the same V6 HP as it’s closest competitor, the Nissan 370Z.

Originally Posted by alienranch
Kenny would be sad you misspelled his company's name - Jotech. I owned a GT-R between several Vettes and Vipers and agree they're too heavy. Fun to launch though.
Fun to launch if you don’t want your warranty anymore... or did they change that policy?

Last edited by pdiddy972; 09-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think it would be a mistake, from a business case pov, to not offer a manual. Current manual take rate is 30%, and as others have pointed out, would be higher except for most dealers ordering a lot of autos for lot stock. Pissing off a pretty devout 30% of your base is not a good way to launch a new car. My advice is, be vocal, demand a stick and maybe we'll get it. Worked for the M5. Heck, there were years in the 70's/early 80s you couldn't get a stick Vette either, so there's hope. I just won't consider one without 3 pedals, sorry.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:23 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Manual transmissions account for just 2 percent of all vehicles sold in 2018, according to data from Edmunds.com. In 2006, 47 percent of new models in the U.S. were offered with automatics and manuals. Now it’s down to 20 percent and dropping sharply. For automakers it will be simpler when the manual dies,” said Ivan Drury, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. “It’s kind of a hassle for them to offer both, same with dealers. Given the market forces, it’s going to go away.”

Two good artcles
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...710-story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...on/1131578002/

Last edited by fasttoys; 09-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual a thing of the past?