Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If they make a ME C8 and a FE C8, are both called Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 02:54 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
.I don't understand why there is such a belief that there has to be a front engine AND a mid engine version.
Some believe, some just hope. That said things out there that have people thinking this way.

First, there are some rumors/suggestions that the current FE C7 will continue to be produced for a few years in parallel with the ME C8. This is the "hedging their bets" strategy. If someone really doesn't like the ME because of things like no manual, no real convertible, limited trunk space, or whatever else they can still buy a (new) C7. It lets GM gauge the popularity of the ME design without putting their eggs in one basket.

Second, the plant in Bowling Green was recently expanded and the expansion covered way more than new paint capabilities. The additional capacity would let them produce the FE C7 along with the ME C8 if they wanted to. The real question is what is to be done with this additional space/capacity if there aren't multiple simultaneous Corvette versions? It is highly unlikely that a ME C8 at a higher base cost will sell more than the FE C7 did so the extra capacity has to be planned for something. If not a 2nd Corvette model then it could be Cadillac sports car, or something else. But the fact the plant was expanded for SOMETHING has people speculating.

There will be a first production C8 ME car and GM won't look back to a front engine car until the C9 design debate begins. That will be based on how the ME C8 is received in the market place.
This is possible but would be a huge gamble for GM. If the ME C8 were to be horribly unsuccessful (say because old timers won't give up their traditional Vettes and young buyers don't flock to Corvette because it still has the "old guy's car" stigma) then there likely wouldn't ever be a C9. A safer strategy is to keep producing the FE C7 and the ME C8 at the same time. If the ME C8 takes off then the FE can be quietly put to bed. If the ME C8 struggles then a FE C8 could be worked on while the FE C7 remains as long as legally possible.

What I find to be highly unlikely is that there will be a new FE C8 announced at the same time as the ME C8. We haven't seen a FE C8 mule so that alone makes it almost certain that it doesn't currently exist.

EDIT: Forgot one thing. During things like the Barrett-Jackson auctions shows, commentators from Motor Trend suggested that the Corvette could become a family/make and there would be multiple models (both FE and ME). Did these people have inside info or were they just wildly guessing? Probably the latter but that doesn't stop the rumor from gaining momentum.

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 08-03-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: If they make a ME C8 and a FE C8, are both called Corvettes?