Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is what Autoline said about the C7 and C8

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:56 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
You are low - the basest ME will be the equivalent of the current Z51 1LT with an A8 (DCT or SMG). ME's cost a little more to build and the C7 hasn't had a price increase since 2016, so a 10% price increase should be expected - if you look at 1LT Z51 A8, it has a $63,315 MSRP - add 10% and you are at $69,646 - the base price of the ME with destination will be $69,995.
Why do mid-engine cars cost more to build?
That gets said all the time but no one ever explains WHY.
The Alfa Romeo 4C is ALL carbon fiber and it's under $60K.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
If Corvette offers a refreshed FE C7 with 500 hp standard and manual trans. option for $7K less than the ME, would you still choose the ME regardless? Why do you think Corvette buyers are demanding a ME? Nobody has shown that most Corvette buyers will pay $7K more just to get a ME. So a ME as the only Corvette would be a major risk for GM.
Absolutely I would I be more than happy to pay 7K more IF the ME C8 also offers a manual gar box, which, until I hear otherwise from GM, I believe that they will. I have owned, aside from 11 Corvettes, 2 Ferrari's and a Porsche Boxster S, and I enjoy the feel of driving the twisties and canyons of So Cal in a mid engine car. As i said before, Corvette buyers are not demanding a ME car. However, if they like it, they will buy it.

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 07-28-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:08 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
it’s been on Autoline with a previous corvette engineer, He said ME cost more to produce compared to an FE. I posted the video a year ago, I am to lazy to look it up. To compare the Alfa 4C as the bench mark of a low price ME car is not good comparison. I owned a 15 and many of the components are shared with cheap *** models in the Chrysler line up. The carbon tub is truly the only exotic part on that car. Other than the tub the car is not that great. My 2015 cayman GTS was far better and my R8 was in another league. I had a 2011 Frankenstein Lotus Evora and that car was better than the Alfa 4C. Build quality was not to great on the Lotus, many of the inside panels used Velcro to secure them. The instrument dash pad would fly off all the time because the Texas heat made the Velcro glue to lose stickyness. Crazy and that had a MSRP of 87k.

Mid-engine cars: Many of the components radiator lines and other stuff have to be run through the side or center to the rear engine. (Cooling lines radiators list goes on). That alone cost more money. Complexity of crash standards and packaging since nothing else in GM line up is a ME. (Complexity in sharing parts)
Front Engine: Most of the components are located in the same area as the engine. Reduces cost. All cars in GM line up have front engine ( complexity and sharing components is not as difficult).

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-28-2018 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I don't think it'll be quite that cheap... I expect $65K base 1LT zero options.
Agreed.

The C7R outran several ME and RE cars from Ferrari and Porsche at Le Mans recently. Each configuration has advantages and drawbacks. Porsche's PDK trans. is a much bigger advantage than engine placement. Corvette should perfect that first.
You are talking about pure racecars that operate under Balance of Performance regulations.
https://www.windingroad.com/articles...ed-at-le-mans/

Those cars are NOT comparable to their street-legal versions in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited by sunsalem; 07-28-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:55 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Link to where GM admits the car is real? Did you read the article? They surmise it will replace the CTS/ATS coupe which is based on the Alpha chassis.
No need for a link GM has already told the Dealers it’s coming, so It’s coming like it or not.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:48 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

it’s been on Autoline with a previous corvette engineer, He said ME cost more to produce compared to an FE. I posted the video a year ago, I am to lazy to look it up. To compare the Alfa 4C as the bench mark of a low price ME car is not good comparison. I owned a 15 and many of the components are shared with cheap *** models in the Chrysler line up. The carbon tub is truly the only exotic part on that car. Other than the tub the car is not that great. My 2015 cayman GTS was far better and my R8 was in another league. I had a 2011 Frankenstein Lotus Evora and that car was better than the Alfa 4C. Build quality was not to great on the Lotus, many of the inside panels used Velcro to secure them. The instrument dash pad would fly off all the time because the Texas heat made the Velcro glue to lose stickyness. Crazy and that had a MSRP of 87k.

Mid-engine cars: Many of the components radiator lines and other stuff have to be run through the side or center to the rear engine. (Cooling lines radiators list goes on). That alone cost more money. Complexity of crash standards and packaging since nothing else in GM line up is a ME. (Complexity in sharing parts)
Front Engine: Most of the components are located in the same area as the engine. Reduces cost. All cars in GM line up have front engine ( complexity and sharing components is not as difficult).
OK. It's not like the C7 doesn't share "cheap ***" GM parts as well (Infotainment system, turn signal/windshield wiper stalks, HVAC, ENGINES, etc). and I sure don't think radiator hoses are THAT expensive. BCM/ECM don't care WHERE they are located on the car, they cost what they cost. Tadge said many years ago that he could produce a ME Corvette for $6,000 RETAIL more than the current car, and even that is misleading, as the C5/C6/C7 are VERY similar design/construction wise, so all the REAL big boy R&D costs were paid off a decade and half ago. As an example of this, I put an MGW shifter in my C7, once I had the console apart, looking at the shifter setup was EXACTLY like looking at a C5 or C6. Obviously, the start up of doing an ENTIRELY new car makes the costs higher, 10 years down the road, the ME costs will be down considerably from the first year.
So, if the 4C is a bad comparison, how about the Boxster/Cayman twins. They are Porsche's only ME regular production cars and they are priced very close to the C7.

Last edited by jimmyb; 07-28-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

OK. It's not like the C7 doesn't share "cheap ***" GM parts as well (Infotainment system, turn signal/windshield wiper stalks, HVAC, ENGINES, etc). and I sure don't think radiator hoses are THAT expensive. BCM/ECM don't care WHERE they are located on the car, they cost what they cost. Tadge said many years ago that he could produce a ME Corvette for $6,000 RETAIL more than the current car, and even that is misleading, as the C5/C6/C7 are VERY similar design/construction wise, so all the REAL big boy R&D costs were paid off a decade and half ago. As an example of this, I put an MGW shifter in my C7, once I had the console apart, looking at the shifter setup was EXACTLY like looking at a C5 or C6. Obviously, the start up of doing an ENTIRELY new car makes the costs higher, 10 years down the road, the ME costs will be down considerably from the first year.
So, if the 4C is a bad comparison, how about the Boxster/Cayman twins. They are Porsche's only ME regular production cars and they are priced very close to the C7.
I agree the C5;C6,C7 have similarities and share parts with other GM products. I am not sure a cars manufacturering cost decreases over its lifecycle, it’s not like software. Car manufacturers are always adjusting and refreshing the product to keep sells up while spreading that cost through the lifecycle. Manufacturing a car has so many complexities. You have materials like steal aluminum composites & electronics plus labor cost that keep increasing yearly, 10 years down the road, cost will be up. Plus car won’t have a 10 year run without refreshing.

The ME is a new direction for GM which will cost them more money to produce. I am very fortunate to have some very high up engineering friends in the auto manufacturing world. In the auto industry a 6k difference is a lot of money especially when it’s spread out during a lifecycle of a product. I have owned many FE & ME exotic sports cars and don’t have a dog in the race. This new venture for GM is going to cost them more to produce and that increase will be passed to us the consumer.

Go to time 17.30

Last edited by fasttoys; 07-29-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:24 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Stand by to be amazed and “unprecented.” I have predicted elsewhere, and still believe, that GM will not be able to build enough first year ME’s to satisfy sold orders, just as they failed in 2014 when BGA had much greater Plant manufacturing capacity, to produce enough 2014 Stingrays to meet those sold orders.
Selling out the first year of production (which is common in many vehicles - people want the newest redesign) is meaningless for any car - unless it is a 1 year only car - what matters is how well it sells on average over the generation's entire production. GM bases tooling, engineering and all other development costs on how many cars sells during the entire production run for a generation. If the car has a 7 year cycle, like it looks like the C7 will have (2014-2020), those costs are spread out over the projected volume, which in the C7 was projected at an average of 20,000 per model year.
Even if they build 30,000 ME's year 1, which I agree is likely, they will still need to sell modestly well (above 15,000 units) in years 2-7 (chosen because other than the C2 (5 years) every Corvette generation has been at least 7 years) for the ME to be viable and a C9 to be possible. I am not sure that there are 120,000 ME buyers for the ME car, and that is what is needed for the car as suggested in these threads, with a base price of $70k or less, to be economically feasible (profitable - as opposed to halo car).
Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 PM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
BMW m division boss stated to jalopnik that even though manual transmission M vehicle sales make little sense since consumers still buy manuals the m division will offer them.

A) manual transmissions will be available in the c8
B) the price increase on standard c8 s will not jump a strong much as is being discussed on this forum..
C) the front engine model is not going to be produced alongside the rear mid engine model. Left over inventory yes...new front engine model production No. great sales on leftovers so FE lovers....get ready to save big...
Interesting observation...I've always thought 2019 or 2020 to be the last year of the C7. But who knows? You are right about one thing, there's a lot of 2017's still unsold and huge discounts are available for those who look . Dealer close to me has a good amount of 2017's remaining. Today's ad for one has a fully loaded GS with a $90k+sticker having an amazing $25,000 off. plenty of others with 20% off or more.. I guess GM must be comfortable on the ME taking off big time, otherwise these semi-end to the C7 sales could end up as the deal of the decade.

Last edited by C7nut; 07-29-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Selling out the first year of production (which is common in many vehicles - people want the newest redesign) is meaningless for any car - unless it is a 1 year only car - what matters is how well it sells on average over the generation's entire production. ……..
That is a bit of hyperbole, look at the new NSX. the first year sales have been terrible. That does not bode well for continued production. Now if you mean that just because first year production (which is sometime limited) does not mean the car will be considered successful by the manufacturer, who is looking for breakeven volumes and more based on planned life, then yes. But if first year volumes are well short of 1st production they may just pull the plug for not covering operating costs.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Driver
No! don't forget the plant is now geared to make two different models at the same time. BG could make the 2019 C7 through June of 2019 and still start to produce the 2020 ME along side of it at the same time.
It will not happen that BGA makes two model years at the same time. There are many Federal and other reporting regulations that make it a logistical and financial nightmare to build two different model years on the same assembly line.

Additionally, as there are always many smaller parts each year that are changed that we never know about (typical 30-50 that change without anyone outside ever knowing anything about those sometimes-minuscule changes), it becomes a humongous operational problem to insure that only 2019 parts would go into 2019 C7’s, and only 2020 parts would go into the ME.

Kai Spande noted that this was the very reason why in January of this year, they choose to end the 2018 model year early and to start the 2019 model year for every Corvette going down the line from January 29th on, i.e., that they would not allow 2018 SR’s, GS’s, and Z06’s going down the same line as the 2019 ZR1. Consequently, GM said, “from this point forward, every single car going down the line will be a 2019 model.”

Last edited by elegant; 07-29-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I agree building two model years of the same car at the same time is a near impossibility for the reasons below. As Elegant noted, many parts change at the MY. Many of the parts which change at the model year do so at that time because they need to be changed in conjunction with another part. These are known as coordinated changes within the industry. The need to coordinate the change makes doing them at the model year break attractive as it is a hard change point and is much easier to manage. Parts which do not need to be be coordinated are known as running changes and can be easily brought in during the model year run.

Running two different cars on the same line is very doable as the parts mix up issues is not there. It is done every day at many OEMs. Running a 2019 C7 and a 2020 C8 concurrently should be doable in theory. I don't think GM will do so because I believe once the ME is introduced there will no longer be a FE Corvette.

Originally Posted by elegant

It will not happen that BGA makes two model years at the same time. There are many Federal and other reporting regulations that make it a logistical and financial nightmare to build two different model years on the same assembly line.

Additionally, as there are always many smaller parts each year that are changed that we never know about (typical 30-50 that change without anyone outside ever knowing anything about those sometimes-minuscule changes), it becomes a humongous operational problem to insure that only 2019 parts would go into 2019 C7’s, and only 2020 parts would go into the ME.

Kai Spande noted that this was the very reason why in January of this year, they choose to end the 2018 model year early and to start the 2019 model year for every Corvette going down the line from January 29th on, i.e., that they would not allow 2018 SR’s, GS’s, and Z06’s going down the same line as the 2019 ZR1. Consequently, GM said, “from this point forward, every single car going down the line will be a 2019 model.”

Last edited by Boiler_81; 07-30-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

The Fiero was "not an engineering failure?"

It was notorious for catching fire because of the deficient oil system. The ME design has never sold well in the U.S. For GM now to sell over 30K ME Corvettes would be completely unprecedented.
By your standard the Corvette, and a number of 911 models have been engineering failures, on the whole as a model, because they had problems with broken valves, or engine fires.

The Fiero sold 370k over 5 years, so about 74,000 a year, with one year selling more 130k, an abysmal sales failure against the Corvette I guess. What was Corvette's best sales year over 60 years of production?

Have you even owned a Fiero? How about driven one?

Old 08-06-2018, 03:05 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

it has a 4 cyl engine and by the time you add things to it to make it remotely comparable to what is being discussed with the ME, it's over $80k.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:24 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Is that not a 4cyl Mazda Miata class car?
Old 08-06-2018, 08:39 PM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

The selling price of a car isn't determined exclusively by any one factor, and to say a ME is always more costly to build probably isn't accurate. Car manufacturers charge what the the market will bear. Porsche made an average of $17,000 profit per car in 2016, and that is because that's the value image Porsche has created for themselves. E.g. the base price of a Porsche 911 (991.2) GT3 RS is $187,500, and I would bet it doesn't cost Porsche an extra $96,400 to build a GT3 vs the base Carrera lists at $91,100. See: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...er-car-profit/

Quick Reply: Here is what Autoline said about the C7 and C8