Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My hunch about the ME

Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM
Nobull
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Default My hunch about the ME

For some time now I have read most of the postings about the ME. Here is what we appear to know.
1. We have a pretty good idea of what the car is going to look like and the general features
2. The GM culture and history of the Corvette is to introduce a base model first, followed by ZO6, GS, and ZR1
3. The chief engineer has said it would cost approximately $5000.00 more production costs for an ME
4. GM is interested in $ and a low production supercar at this time does not make economic sense.
5. $100,000 appears to be a psychological ceiling for the typical Corvette buyer
6. To end production of the ZR1 (and somewhat less so for the ZO6) after such a short run does not make sense.
7. The market for high dollar, high performance 2 seaters is very small. The competition, particularly the NSX, is not showing high sales
numbers.
8. Various sources of information seem to agree that the ME engine will be an upgrade of the present LT1 to around 500 hp
9. The present ZO6 and ZR1 have approximately 650 hp and 755 hp respectively.
10. The ME is not an evolution of the current car but in my opinion is revolutionary.
To sum this all up I can see the current Stingray and possibly the GS being dropped and the ME being inserted in their place while keeping the ZO6 and
ZR1. This way you have al three cars with 500 hp, 650 hp and 755 hp. This also gives GM time to sort out the car. In my opinion no one is going to pay $100,000+ (with an emphasis on the plus) for a 500 hp car. I agree with others that the base ME will be introduced with a modest price increase to
around $70,000. If it all works out after a couple of years higher performance versions replacing the ZO6 and Zr1 can be introduced (ie, Manta Ray, E-Ray, etc. Doing things this way does not alienate the typical Corvette buyer, and at the same time maintains the track value of the C7. To me this makes practical sense and economic sense for GM. We all know the current platform is maxed out, and mid engine platforms are the future. However, I do not think GM is going to go all-in at one time on such a revolutionary change. What say you forum members?

Last edited by Nobull; 07-25-2018 at 06:43 PM. Reason: grammatical error/spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by Nobull:
fasttoys (07-25-2018), l2vette (07-25-2018), LB001 (07-26-2018)

Popular Reply

07-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Most people expect the new car to appear within the next 6 months and still no one has a clue as to what GM is planning and when they plan on showing it. They have done an incredible job of keeping this a secret.

My money is on a total switch to mid-engine for the C8. I don't know why that would be risky like some think. They will say that they took the front engine configuration as far as they could, but mid-engine truly puts them on equal footing with the exotics. A lot of C7 owners will be pissed to hear this but it's the truth. To me that is a compelling message and the thing will be a massive hit with exotic car looks and performance at a base of 65-70k.

The Camaro will fill the void for those who must have front engine V8 power. The 6th gen is so good it is now basically a 4 seat Corvette anyway.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:00 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

The next gen has never been less than the equal of the prior generation’s perfromance.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-25-2018 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
l2vette (07-25-2018)
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Most people expect the new car to appear within the next 6 months and still no one has a clue as to what GM is planning and when they plan on showing it. They have done an incredible job of keeping this a secret.

My money is on a total switch to mid-engine for the C8. I don't know why that would be risky like some think. They will say that they took the front engine configuration as far as they could, but mid-engine truly puts them on equal footing with the exotics. A lot of C7 owners will be pissed to hear this but it's the truth. To me that is a compelling message and the thing will be a massive hit with exotic car looks and performance at a base of 65-70k.

The Camaro will fill the void for those who must have front engine V8 power. The 6th gen is so good it is now basically a 4 seat Corvette anyway.

Last edited by Goaty; 07-25-2018 at 07:41 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by Goaty:
Boiler_81 (07-26-2018), dcbingaman (08-05-2018), Dominic Sorresso (07-25-2018), fasttoys (07-25-2018), got2bblu (07-25-2018), JerriVette (07-26-2018), JimNeedsC7 (08-11-2018), l2vette (07-25-2018), Lotsacubes (07-26-2018), NewYuriCity (07-26-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

All good points!!!
The waiting is killing me!!
Old 07-26-2018, 01:07 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobull
For some time now I have read most of the postings about the ME. Here is what we appear to know.
1. We have a pretty good idea of what the car is going to look like and the general features
2. The GM culture and history of the Corvette is to introduce a base model first, followed by ZO6, GS, and ZR1
3. The chief engineer has said it would cost approximately $5000.00 more production costs for an ME
4. GM is interested in $ and a low production supercar at this time does not make economic sense.
5. $100,000 appears to be a psychological ceiling for the typical Corvette buyer
6. To end production of the ZR1 (and somewhat less so for the ZO6) after such a short run does not make sense.
7. The market for high dollar, high performance 2 seaters is very small. The competition, particularly the NSX, is not showing high sales
numbers.
8. Various sources of information seem to agree that the ME engine will be an upgrade of the present LT1 to around 500 hp
10. The ME is not an evolution of the current car but in my opinion is revolutionary.
To sum this all up I can see the current Stingray and possibly the GS being dropped and the ME being inserted in their place while keeping the ZO6 and
ZR1. This way you have al three cars with 500 hp, 650 hp and 755 hp. This also gives GM time to sort out the car. In my opinion no one is going to pay $100,000+ (with an emphasis on the plus) for a 500 hp car. I agree with others that the base ME will be introduced with a modest price increase to
around $70,000. If it all works out after a couple of years higher performance versions replacing the ZO6 and Zr1 can be introduced (ie, Manta Ray, E-Ray, etc. Doing things this way does not alienate the typical Corvette buyer, and at the same time maintains the track value of the C7. To me this makes practical sense and economic sense for GM. We all know the current platform is maxed out, and mid engine platforms are the future. However, I do not think GM is going to go all-in at one time on such a revolutionary change. What say you forum members?

Totally agree. I posted the exact same scenario more than once several weeks back. It makes the most sense.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:06 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty

insanity ensued when corvette taillights were no longer round from the c6 generation to the c7 generation corvette.

the world almost ended for many corvette enthusiasts...

moving the engine from the front to the rear we could see corvette enthusasts jumping off cliffs (Kidding off course)

the entertainment value alone should be reason enough for GM to not offer a front engine variant and just a mid engine vehicle.

the automotive press should go wild reporting on the reactions of many diehard front engine corvette enthusiasts.l

added bonus........if GM only offers a dct and no manual the spouses of many corvette enthusiasts will be doubling down on life insurance premiums to cash in as their husbands commit their final act ..(Kidding)

this is going to be the greatest show on earth as I predict the rear mid engine will be the only corvette offered and a manual transmission will be in the lineup..so some corvette enthusiasts will be spared...

and then There is the rest of us who happen to want a dct 500 hp rear mid engine corvette...

just a guess on my part...

Who knows what will actually be offered or when...but the sh t show , side show here on the forums should be epic..

Last edited by JerriVette; 07-26-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
As for what I bolded, I hope you are wrong on the 1st statement because ME exotics just don't sell well (zero manufacturers sell more than 3,000 per year of any 1 model (Ferrari 488) and all the others are at less than 1,500/yr worldwide and about 55% is US sales), and I don't think it is just price, because if it were Porsche would sell more than 15,000 Cayman/Boxters per year worldwide (US sales 6,500).
On point 2 - have you driven a Camaro - it is about the least practical car made, and the least practical of the Pony cars - it is not a 4 seat Corvette.

Last edited by LIStingray; 07-26-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
PCK1221
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
As for what I bolded, I hope you are wrong on the 1st statement because ME exotics just don't sell well (zero manufacturers sell more than 3,000 per year of any 1 model (Ferrari 488) and all the others are at less than 1,500/yr worldwide and about 55% is US sales), and I don't think it is just price, because if it were Porsche would sell more than 15,000 Cayman/Boxters per year worldwide (US sales 6,500).
On point 2 - have you driven a Camaro - it is about the least practical car made, and the least practical of the Pony cars - it is not a 4 seat Corvette.
"Price" doesn't sell lots of cars -- "value" sells lots of cars. Porsche and Ferrari don't sell value -- Corvette sells value. The ME will sell and everyone and their mamma will have a ME "exotic".
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
The next gen has never been less than the equal of the prior generation’s perfromance.

So My 2014 Z51 C7 can outrun a C6 Z06 and ZR1?
JockItch (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:33 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I think you'll still have all of the 2019 MY 7th gen models available during the 2020 MY, and possibly another year or two beyond that. It is still a compelling argument to me that the ME could actually be in the Corvette family BUT not actually be the 8th gen Corvette. But like I always say, time will tell.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:39 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

numbers.
Agreed. Now if you compare what other manufacturers with the engine behind the drivers seat (mid engine or rear engine) available today and compare with the the specs and performance of the corresponding C7 models we can determine the benchmark the c8 will deliver.

i would very closely look at the 911 performance range, and expect boxster/cayman/718 pricing.

Here is a good list of corvette competitors
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ry-car-feature

Last edited by ZishanM; 07-26-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:43 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

The ME will increase the performance envelope of the car by allowing room for turbo plumbing and freeing up the front end for electric AWD, but the jury is out on whether it will be as practical as a FE Vette. The average owner values the ability to take a road trip with 2 sets of golf clubs and luggage more than another 1/2 second on the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
JustinStrife (07-27-2018), Rapid Fred (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:44 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 275 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by PCK1221
"Price" doesn't sell lots of cars -- "value" sells lots of cars. Porsche and Ferrari don't sell value -- Corvette sells value. The ME will sell and everyone and their mamma will have a ME "exotic".
This. They will easily sell 35k cars (or however many they can possibly produce) the first year like every new corvette model has done and their will be a waiting list to get it.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:49 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

In my opinion no one is going to pay $100,000+ (with an emphasis on the plus) for a 500 hp car. I agree with others that the base ME will be introduced with a modest price increase to around $70,000.
Yet people paid $250 for a Ferrari F430 back in its day (almost 500 HP), and paid $300K for the F458 (550 HP), and now $350K for a 488 (650 HP).

You can only argue that the number willing to pay this amounts are insufficient to make GM attracted to the market.

There is no good argument as to why a ME car has to cost more to build than a FE car.
dcbingaman (08-05-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

We all know the current platform is maxed out, and mid engine platforms are the future.
I do not believe that GM has come to any such realization! The mid engine platform (RMR arrangement) is not a new invention. It's been marketed by various car companies since 1901, not the least of which are the European exotic car manufacturers, and they, for many decades! I honestly and truly believe that the front engine models of the Corvette, in some fashion or another, will continue to be offered for years to come. Why is it so hard or people to believe that the mid engine format is not a replacement to the C7's but an addition to the Corvette line up. As such, it is anyone's guess just how much over $100,000 it will cost. Perhaps the base price will skirt the $100k mark, but not by much. The list of items on the docket is too extensive for it to be inexpensive.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,426 Likes on 774 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
So My 2014 Z51 C7 can outrun a C6 Z06 and ZR1?
Maybe not. Your C7 will outrun the base C6 and the C7 Z06 will outrun the C6 Z06 and the C7 ZR1 will outrun the C6 ZR1 and I believe that was the point being made.

Of course your post could have been satirical and I missed your point.
jovette (08-10-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:16 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

GM has two options IMO, play it safe and offer both FE and ME’s at the same time — keeping the current buyer and adding brand new ones, or the massive shift to only ME’s. GM will do what it believes it is best based on its, years-ago-completed business case analysis, i.e., they did not register here as new forum member under the name “GM,” and start a poll of what we think.

Even from the insiders who are whispering to me, I am getting lots of conflicting information, so as I posted before, I believe GM has deliberately gone to a deliberate misdirection PR campaign. Tell some who are connected with the forums community one set of info, others forums-connected with opposing info.

GM’s analysis results of the above two major and opposing plans is what we will learn on reveal day. OR, GM may only reveal ME info on that day, and keep us forum folks FE postulating on different Corvette forums on options for months afterwards — maybe until as late as just before the 2020 ordering banks actually open.

Last edited by elegant; 07-26-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My hunch about the ME

Old 07-26-2018, 02:34 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
GM has two options IMO, play it safe and offer both FE and ME’s at the same time — keeping the current buyer and adding brand new ones, or the massive shift to only ME’s. GM will do what it believes it is best based on its, years-ago-completed business case analysis, i.e., they did not register here as new forum member under the name “GM,” and start a poll of what we think.

Even from the insiders who are whispering to me, I am getting lots of conflicting information, so as I posted before, I believe GM has deliberately gone to a deliberate misdirection PR campaign. Tell some who are connected with the forums community one set of info, others forums-connected with opposing info.

GM’s analysis results of the above two major and opposing plans is what we will learn on reveal day. OR, GM may only reveal ME info on that day, and keep us forum folks FE postulating on different Corvette forums on options for months afterwards — maybe until as late as just before the 2020 ordering banks actually open.

Why would GM not "play it safe" and offer both the FE and ME? GM is not a high risk operation and there is obviously more profit to be made with 2 cars. Unless the ME is a failure and the FE cannibalizes all the sales, selling 2 cars at once makes more sense for the business case.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:28 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Why would GM not "play it safe" and offer both the FE and ME? GM is not a high risk operation and there is obviously more profit to be made with 2 cars. Unless the ME is a failure and the FE cannibalizes all the sales, selling 2 cars at once makes more sense for the business case.
Funneling everyone into one model is playing it very safe.
”Here it is..the next vette”
“big hype ,big following and big sales”
And revolutionary change,mid engine.It sounds like safe money in the bank to me,
Offering 2 corvette choices from the beginning,
could confuse the consumer and jeopardize the actual sale.
If you look at some of the interviews of the Corvette decision makers on YouTube ,you’ll notice they make some decisions between 12 to 24 months...
if they need to correct,
no one says they can’t slot a front engine car priced above the c8.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:50 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I feel like the ME vette is going to be very similar to the new NSX. Just the American version of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My hunch about the ME