Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your threshold on cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:57 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
It makes no sense as to why a mid engine 1LT Corvette should cost much more than a base 1LT C7. Yes, the initial cost of R and D is there but it's no different once it's all said and done and that initial cost should be spread across the whole Chevy line since a halo car is supposed to draw people to the brand which benefits all models. It shouldn't cost any more to produce a ME car than a standard FE car unless you're using some way out there materials like CC brakes, high end stereo components, lots of CF, etc. An engine is an engine, wheels are wheels, seats are seats whether they are installed in a FE, RE or ME. The cost of the C8 should be proportionate to, maybe a little higher, the increase in price that the C7 was to the C6.

People have this preconceived notion that ME means exotic, it's not, it's just another way of doing things so car companies capitalize on that and charge a premium because people expect that. Was the MR2 an exotic, was the Fiero an exotic, not a chance, but nowadays one mention of the words "mid engine" and people naturally think Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
Do you not understand the price difference on the transmissions between the two? There's a massive price difference ! Price out a Tremec TR-6070 7sp manual transmission that is on the C7 line up. Then go out and price a ZF DCT Transaxle-Transmission(The same one thats on the Porsche 918). And this is only one of hundreds of different component upgrades. This should be very easy to comprehend ! Read my list thread and you will see numerous components that are on the C8 ME that are not on the C7 FE. Another easy example is the Rearview camera system that is required for the Zora where the C7 is a simple rearview glass mirror hanging off the windshield. Once again, no comparison in pricing. A massive price differential between the two. The C8 clearly shows ZF magneto rheological engine mounts. The C7 has standard engine mounts. Do you want me to go on?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:03 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by skank
Do you not understand the price difference on the transmissions between the two? There's a massive price difference ! Price out a Tremec TR-6070 7sp manual transmission that is on the C7 line up. Then go out and price a ZF DCT Transaxle-Transmission(The same one thats on the Porsche 918). And this is only one of hundreds of different component upgrades. This should be very easy to comprehend ! Read my list thread and you will see numerous components that are on the C8 ME that are not on the C7 FE. Another easy example is the Rearview camera system that is required for the Zora where the C7 is a simple rearview glass mirror hanging off the windshield. Once again, no comparison in pricing. A massive price differential between the two. The C8 clearly shows ZF magneto rheological engine mounts. The C7 has standard engine mounts. Do you want me to go on?
Do you realize the difference in price between a 6 speed manual Cayman S and a PDK Cayman S is only $3660 CAD.....thanks for coming out but your opinion on the vast price difference between a manual and dual clutch is not needed.

Also, what part of "It shouldn't cost any more to produce a ME car than a standard FE car unless you're using some way out there materials like CC brakes, high end stereo components, lots of CF, etc." didn't you quite not comprehend?

And have you read many posts on this topic, the general consensus as well as some sources say that a base model will run between 65-70k, so with all this new wizardry that you're yammering on about how exactly do you propose that GM can bring this car to market at that price?

Last edited by themonk; 09-19-2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Do you realize the difference in price between a 6 speed manual Cayman S and a PDK Cayman S is only $3660 CAD.....thanks for coming out but your opinion on the vast price difference between a manual and dual clutch is not needed.

Also, what part of "It shouldn't cost any more to produce a ME car than a standard FE car unless you're using some way out there materials like CC brakes, high end stereo components, lots of CF, etc." didn't you quite not comprehend?

And have you read many posts on this topic, the general consensus as well as some sources say that a base model will run between 65-70k, so with all this new wizardry that you're yammering on about how exactly do you propose that GM can bring this car to market at that price?
I think that GM will price the coupe base with no options at right around 69k .

I also think that we my find that the HTC my come with a upgrade engine to justify a 79k starting price.

I don't think that there test both the coupe and the HTC at the ring based in the different body design.

I think the base coupe has upgraded LT1 and the HTC had a DOHC either a 4.2 TT or a NA 5.5.

That way GM can keep the entry price under 70k and go up market with the HTC .

But I am just guessing otherwise not sure why GM is texting both body styles at the ring.

I would imagine that the suspension and Trans are the same for both.

it it's for aero purposes then I would think the fake camouflage on both model rear end would need to come off.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 09-20-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 AM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

I think some guys here forget the size of the General Motors Industrial complex compared vs Porsche or Ferrari..

The lower costs of the C8 will be due to the capabilities of mass production.

Porsche sells about 250,000 units per year
Ferrari sells 7000 units per year
Lamborghini 3800 units per year
GM sells 9.6 million cars per year.

The vast network of suppliers will keep costs down.

If GM plays their cards right, they can hurt the exotic car market with this car if they keep the costs down..
Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

We can't help you !
Old 09-20-2018, 09:54 AM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

I am afraid you are in a state of denial about the cost of the C8 ME. I do not want to argue so I will just quote Keith Cornett, the Corvette Blogger and owner of that website. The quote below comes from his review of two new patents associated with the mid engine Corvette.

It’s not really a surprise that we are discovering some of the technologies of the forthcoming C8 mid-engine Corvette from the USPTO’s patent and trademark database search app. The mid-engine Corvette is completely new from the ground up and therefore the designers and engineers are patenting their work along the way.

Here are two new patents that just appeared yesterday in the patent database. One is for a front bumper cover with pedestrian safety in mind, and the other is for a new two-stage turbocharger. It’s not confirmed that either of these new technologies are headed to the Mid Engine Corvette. However, pictures of the front bumper cover look similar to the front fascia of the C8, and with all the talk of the upper-level engines being turbocharged makes us take a closer look at the new turbocharging patent.

How do you suppose technology and invention like this go on a new car and it stays the same price as cars that do not have these attributes? Please return to the list of Components thread and take heed of the numerous new items. These are just two of the many patents and known advancements associated with this car. From a business stanpoint, someone has to pay for this forward technology. It's recovered in the cost of the car. Hence a higher price. Does this help you understand?

Last edited by ltomn; 09-20-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:59 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Thanks Ltomn for the two stage twin turbocharger patent info. I have had that on the list since forum member SBC and_ a_ Stick identified those last year. It's #11 on the list of new technologies. That very expensive technology !!

Last edited by skank; 09-20-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Ryan R
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to add this but I’m fuzzy on how much but, the C7 took a decent price jump in the 2nd or third year but I think it was 2015. GM could do something similar. I know some parts changed A8 from A6 etc but it was certainly more expensive.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:14 AM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

With a two stage twin turbo I'm in @ $130K
Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

We can't help you !
trust me, you're no help.

Originally Posted by ltomn
I am afraid you are in a state of denial about the cost of the C8 ME. I do not want to argue so I will just quote Keith Cornett, the Corvette Blogger and owner of that website. The quote below comes from his review of two new patents associated with the mid engine Corvette.

It’s not really a surprise that we are discovering some of the technologies of the forthcoming C8 mid-engine Corvette from the USPTO’s patent and trademark database search app. The mid-engine Corvette is completely new from the ground up and therefore the designers and engineers are patenting their work along the way.

Here are two new patents that just appeared yesterday in the patent database. One is for a front bumper cover with pedestrian safety in mind, and the other is for a new two-stage turbocharger. It’s not confirmed that either of these new technologies are headed to the Mid Engine Corvette. However, pictures of the front bumper cover look similar to the front fascia of the C8, and with all the talk of the upper-level engines being turbocharged makes us take a closer look at the new turbocharging patent.

How do you suppose technology and invention like this go on a new car and it stays the same price as cars that do not have these attributes? Please return to the list of Components thread and take heed of the numerous new items. These are just two of the many patents and known advancements associated with this car. From a business stanpoint, someone has to pay for this forward technology. It's recovered in the cost of the car. Hence a higher price. Does this help you understand?
So since the dawn of Corvette the premise has been to build a world beater at a price that a slightly above average working person can afford and now all of a sudden GM wants to change what Corvette has been since 1953 into something that will be put out of the reach of a working stiff but in reach of someone who will not spend over 100k on a base "Chevrolet"......mmmmmmkay.

Let's roll with what you're saying, how many Z06 and ZR1 is Chevrolet selling, now how many Stingrays and GS is Chevrolet selling? So you're telling me that the few thousand Z's is going to keep the Corvette name going? How many 100k + cars does Chevrolet sell period?

I really have to shake my head sometimes.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 AM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Baseprice starting 90K to 100K and optioned up to 190K
Quoted for record since you seem so sure of yourself.

Last edited by blipit_; 09-27-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:06 AM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

trust me, you're no help.

So since the dawn of Corvette the premise has been to build a world beater at a price that a slightly above average working person can afford and now all of a sudden GM wants to change what Corvette has been since 1953 into something that will be put out of the reach of a working stiff but in reach of someone who will not spend over 100k on a base "Chevrolet"......mmmmmmkay.

Let's roll with what you're saying, how many Z06 and ZR1 is Chevrolet selling, now how many Stingrays and GS is Chevrolet selling? So you're telling me that the few thousand Z's is going to keep the Corvette name going? How many 100k + cars does Chevrolet sell period?

I really have to shake my head sometimes.
I like how he sites the rearview camera system as one of the reason for a $100k+ car. The camera system that was on the recently debuted $35k XT4, in a measly $1500 package filled with other items.

I still laugh people think the brakes below belong on a $100k car. They look no bigger than 350mm and are non-slotted rotors. Not even worthy enough to go on a Z51 pack C7.

Last edited by blipit_; 09-27-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:36 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blipit_
I like how he sites the rearview camera system as one of the reason for a $100k+ car. The camera system that was on the recently debuted $35k XT4, in a measly $1500 package filled with other items.

I still laugh people think the brakes below belong on a $100k car. They look no bigger than 350mm and are non-slotted rotors. Not even worthy enough to go on a Z51 pack C7.

I realize that this is a test mule but look at the tires, 245's and yes, plain disk brakes, definitely not befitting of a 100k + car.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:41 AM
themonk
Team Owner

We can't help you !
another person who seems to think, no, who knows that a DCT isn't a high cost option like YOU seem to think and report that it is:

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
I could write a check for $70k tomorrow without worrying about my account balance. But $4k is still $4k. I'll always be a value shopper, it's just my nature. About $4k is probably what the upcharge for the DCT will be.

To be clear, I genuinely prefer the manual. However, if I had to pay the same as a DCT for a manual, when I KNOW the DCT is going to make for a faster car, I'd be really torn. I mean I don't like forced induction either but I wouldn't turn it down for free.
I'd like to meet your fact checker and buy him a beer for making you look like a know nothing know it all.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:03 PM
sweedjeff
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Totally agree, but I keep hearing stories of guys on here being 16 or 18 , in high school, buying their brand new corvette in the 60's. There is no way a kid, unless super genius and develops his own app and sells it to make millions, is making 200K in high school to buy one brand new. Kind of jealous of that older generation to be able to have those sweet cars at such an early age. I didn't buy my first car until I was almost 24
Old 09-28-2018, 01:24 PM
ProblemHouston
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't understand why someone has to make $200k a year to afford a $50k car?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:40 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
With the C7 ZR1, I saw on the sticker, a +28% Market Adjustment. You know what? A MMJ pharm owner came in, with cash in bag, and paid the $170k asking price (+tax, title). So, if we're thinking the C8 starts at (est) $70k for the 2019, dealers will add that extra 28% ($20k) market adjustment and people will buy it. My plan is waiting on the 2021.
Its simple don't pay any dealer mark up or MSRP. Only patient buyers will enjoy saving a few dollars over the "got be the first on the block guy"...jmho

Get notified of new replies

To What is your threshold on cost?

Old 09-28-2018, 06:40 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by ProblemHouston
The Corvette is not $50K! It starts around $60K and I would guess the average price of C7's are closer to $75K. Regardless $200K is not much in a lot of cities and in fact considered like middle class in those areas. For example $200K in LA is really not much after taxes, etc. while $200K in other parts of the country you'd be living pretty well with a very large and nice house.

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 09-28-2018 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sweedjeff (09-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 PM
sweedjeff
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ProblemHouston
A new Corvette for most people is a third car/ toy. Most are married, some with kids, etc. I can do the budgets, and have for people showing they can't afford whatever car. We cannot afford a new Corvette unless we, my wife and I, are making at least 400K. That's living in NE and me being cheap, lol. Yeah you can live in your mom's basement making 50k, paying no rent, utilities, etc. But the days of buying a new C2 on your teens are gone. I have my way, and others have their way. I'd just rather not be suc stuck in a big loan.
The following users liked this post:
Suns_PSD (09-29-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 11:28 PM
ethonal_producer
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 16 Posts

On the point of dealership’s “market price adjustment”. If you live in a area that has that and you want one of the first lots let me know. I am first in line on the waiting list at a couple of dealerships that will not charge over MSRP. If the dealership gets the allotment (which they normally do), I will pass it over at no charge.

Quick Reply: What is your threshold on cost?