Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 New purchase for first time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM
ChrisNC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default C8 New purchase for first time buyer

Since I posted this in the cost and affordability topic I moved it here. I was just wondering what everyone else was feeling or how their first corvette purchase experience was? I have waited 26 years to buy my first one and considering the supposed model is mid-engine I was trying to understand that experience. I was told by my dealer to do the wine and dine Bowling Green purchase because its worth doing your first time. What is everyone's personal experience and it being my first one should I be as ecstatic as I am and hyped up or is the feeling fleeting and passes fast. Thanks for any replies!

Last edited by ChrisNC; 07-31-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 PM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I never bought a brand new corvette even though I've had four of them. If I decide on a midengine corvette I will be buying a new one and will most definitely do bowling green to pick it up. Ill be excited as hell to do the museum delivery. Owning a corvette never gets old.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:30 PM
LightningBolt
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthy08
I never bought a brand new corvette even though I've had four of them. If I decide on a midengine corvette I will be buying a new one and will most definitely do bowling green to pick it up. Ill be excited as hell to do the museum delivery. Owning a corvette never gets old.
I've never had a new corvette either, but have owned several myself. I'm planning to buy the C8 new.

Last edited by LightningBolt; 07-31-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:31 PM
ROUTE 66
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't do the bowling green. I don't think they did it when I bought my 1993.[ First Vett ] How ever I did go with a trailer on a 3 day trip to Ohio to get mine. A great memory. Also did it again to get my 2010, Both trips have become great memories! Have fun get the most out of it.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

You should do the museum. I’ve never did it but think it is very neat. Especially if you can bring friends and family. It also helps to fund the museum which we all have a part in.

i plan to flip my c8 so I will have it shipped to the house.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:47 PM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,012 Likes on 365 Posts

I did museum delivery on my 2014 coupe. Took delivery October 17, 2013 VIN# 24xx that was completed 9/29/2013. I drove it the following day on Tail of the Dragon before heading back to Austin, TX. Great way to break it in and did the trip with 3 other friends. Loved every second of the trip.

Planning on doing the same museum delivery for the Mid-Engine whenever it comes out.
The following users liked this post:
Suns_PSD (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 07:11 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default I went to BG- Then I ordered my 2000 C5

Originally Posted by ChrisNC
Since I posted this in the cost and affordability topic I moved it here. I was just wondering what everyone else was feeling or how their first corvette purchase experience was? I have waited 26 years to buy my first one and considering the supposed model is mid-engine I was trying to understand that experience. I was told by my dealer to do the wine and dine Bowling Green purchase because its worth doing your first time. What is everyone's personal experience and it being my first one should I be as ecstatic as I am and hyped up or is the feeling fleeting and passes fast. Thanks for any replies!
I waited until the fourth year of C5 production in order to avoid early growing pains. I went to BG and spent two days talking to production people who gave me advice about which options were good and which were problems. I then went home and shopped around for the best discount on my order. However, I should have waited another year because the 2001 had many fixes for four-year-old bugs. I wish anyone brave enough to buy a first year C8 a lot of luck.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:18 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
You should do the museum. I’ve never did it but think it is very neat. Especially if you can bring friends and family. It also helps to fund the museum which we all have a part in.

i plan to flip my c8 so I will have it shipped to the house.
I'm hoping I don't flip mine.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:31 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts

I've only owned one Corvette before, 2005 Z51 that I bought new off the lot. Planning on ordering the C8, thinking about doing the museum delivery as this will likely be my last new car. At least I have my ZL1 to drive while I'm waiting for it. Was thinking of buying a Z06 but I think the C8 is the ticket, plus gives me time to save up more cash. Can't wait for the official info and pictures to come out.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:42 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinLow
I've only owned one Corvette before, 2005 Z51 that I bought new off the lot. Planning on ordering the C8, thinking about doing the museum delivery as this will likely be my last new car. At least I have my ZL1 to drive while I'm waiting for it. Was thinking of buying a Z06 but I think the C8 is the ticket, plus gives me time to save up more cash. Can't wait for the official info and pictures to come out.
Museum delivery is well worth the $995.00 cost.

Great day with doing a factory tour in the a.m. and then take delivery of your new Corvette that afternoon .

Museum staff is great to work with and does an excellent job with the PDI.

Plus about a 3 hours drive to the Tail of The Dragon which is a blast to drive in your new Corvette.

I will be taking delivery of my C8 from the museum as its a great experience and this will.be New Corvette number 12 for me.

I highly recommend the museum delivery and factory tour. Again it well worth the $995.00 charge and there is great roads to drive only a few hours from the factory.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:35 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 283 Posts

My wife and I have had over a dozen new Corvettes. We get 'excited' every time we get one. The last one (an early production 2014 convertible) was a Museum Delivery. We wanted to do that since the Museum started the program but life always got in the way and we just didn't have the schedule flexibility.

After taking delivery of the last one there, we have decided that it is the only way to go.... The experience is certainly worth it. Beyond that, you will learn so much more about the car than you would taking delivery at a Chevy dealership.

Our plan is to take delivery of the mid-engine Corvette as soon as our number comes up at our dealer.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 PM
zr_kaizen
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I’ve purchased three used Corvettes so far. If the promise of the C8 aligns with a fair price, it’ll be my first new purchase. Will definitely do the museum tour for this evolutionary iteration of the Corvette.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 PM
ChrisNC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Edit: found my answer after i asked about the fee.

My salesperson said he wanted to be up there once I get mine. I really don't know if its because I have one of if not the first order allocation at the dealership or if he wants to bring popcorn and see just how excited I get.

Last edited by ChrisNC; 07-31-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:59 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Third new corvette purchase...

my opinion is spend the $1000 dollars somewhere else..(take a drivers school, buy gasoline, make sure you get the z51 heavy duty cooling and suspension package,etc)

i wouldnt bother with the museum delivery.

you asked for opinions...that’s mine.

good luck whatever you decide
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I did the Museum delivery with my C6. I highly recommend it. just a note on friends and family.... no need for them to make the trip, they can watch the delivery process as they explain about the car, live on the Museum web cams, as you have a specific appointment time for the presentation.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

When I got my 2001 Z06 I was lucky enough to find out the day my car would be produced. My wife and I went to Bowling green and took a tour of the factory hoping to see my car. We went on the morning tour, and I talked to some and told them what my VIN was and build number. After the tour they said come back at a certain time and my car would be nearing the end of the line. We came back at the suggested time and took the tour again. Sure enough the car was moving to the wheel mounting stage when we found it. I was a little distraught as there was no back glass, it had broken on install (Z06 had special thinner back glass). We told the line guys it was our car and we got to install a wheel. We alter found the car very near the end of the line and they let me put the fuel in and do the first start and gave us a copy of the build sheet. Let's just say it was a fabulous experience. I doubt the same could happen today with getting to help on the car. But if you can figure out how to find out the exact day it will be built it is very cool to see even a small part of that happen.

We did not do the museum delivery, I thought it would likely cause a delay in me getting the car.... I did not want to wait even one extra day. I am not sure it would be as cool as what we got to do.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 AM
vettemayhem
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts

Of 5 vettes, one was ordered new...a 1985 gold coupe. I loved it and had no problem with ordering the first year of a new design. Since this will probably be my last Corvette and an ME, I will celebrate and go for the whole enchilada...Bowling Green delivery and the fun of tracking at a driving school, etc., etc.
This 'ol fart' is looking forward to it with giddy anticipation!

Get notified of new replies

To C8 New purchase for first time buyer

Old 08-01-2018, 09:38 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
Museum delivery is well worth the $995.00 cost.

Great day with doing a factory tour in the a.m. and then take delivery of your new Corvette that afternoon .

Museum staff is great to work with and does an excellent job with the PDI.

Plus about a 3 hours drive to the Tail of The Dragon which is a blast to drive in your new Corvette.

I will be taking delivery of my C8 from the museum as its a great experience and this will.be New Corvette number 12 for me.

I highly recommend the museum delivery and factory tour. Again it well worth the $995.00 charge and there is great roads to drive only a few hours from the factory.
Well aware of the roads in TN and NC, been riding sport bikes and sport tourers down there a few weeks per year every year for 15 years. I know roads in NC that many locals don't know about. Awesome roads, smooth, no traffic, especially compared to the crap roads we have in MN.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I enjoyed the museum delivery but not just because of the museum. The factory tour was very cool and we took the long way home over three days staying at various B&Bs. We drove some scenic and fun roads such as tail of the dragon. The memories of the trip home were well worth it.

Last edited by NY09C6; 08-02-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:13 PM
lv2jmp
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisNC
I was told by my dealer to do the wine and dine Bowling Green purchase because its worth doing your first time. What is everyone's personal experience and it being my first one should I be as ecstatic as I am and hyped up or is the feeling fleeting and passes fast. Thanks for any replies!
I highly recommend the factory tour. My first vette was a 2006 C6 Coupe. I was there for Marriage Monday, where the body meets the frame (two assembly lines converge). I was able to sign my starter motor. I drove my car off the assembly line. Worth it? That was twelve years ago and I still remember that experience! Very very cool!

My third vette was purchased off-the-lot as kind of an impulse -- new Grand Sport, exact match for my preferences, made a great deal. But I did the Corvette Experience out at Spring Mountain, NV. There, they teach you to drive a Corvette with aggression, in the same type as what you purchased.

When the ME C8 comes out, I expect to do the factory tour again, as well as the driving experience (different type of Vette than I'm used to).

But the biggest thing is: enjoy your Vette, and Save the Wave!

Quick Reply: C8 New purchase for first time buyer