Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile says no manual trans in the ME

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I think it's a lot harder to make as sweet of a manual, when you have double the torque.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC333
If the ME car is a $160,000 car it will not replace the front engine car ever. At this price point they will probably only sell around 4000 units a year. At that volume it doesn't make sense offer a manual trans for 25% of the volume which would be 1000 units. If the ME car completely replaces the front engine car it will have to cost about $60,000 and then GM will have to eventually offer a manual trans. No way they are going to walk away from 25% of their sales.
God I hope that's not the case. At that price I'd buy a GT3. For me $75-$85k is where I'm in.

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
GM should have equipped the C7 with the DCT back in 2014.
The gearing in the differential is wrong for the C7 manual, should have been at least 3.73 or better yet 4.10.
My current C& Z06 has the A8 and the shift quality is worse than my VW Sportwagen equipped with the DSG.
It's great under full throttle shifts, otherwise it's a slug.
Word... Why they put that A8 in the C7 Vette makes no sense to me unless it was physically impossible to fit a DCT. Nothing dates a car down the road like a TC Auto. The DCT has it's own issues, but generally ages better based on how it physically functions. Even an older DCT is leaps and bounds better than a current TC Auto.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (08-08-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I actually hope GM has a manual option. I recently bought a Porsche GT4 to hold me over until the ME Corvette arrives and has some kinks worked out (utterly AMAZING car BTW... best sound I think I have heard from a stock exhaust and is incredibly balanced and controllable). It's a MT only car. Although I absolutely love my DCT cars, I forgot how rewarding a really well done manual is. Even if GM offers a manual, I don't imagine the C8 will have one as good as the GT4 (well, the C7's manual is nowhere near as good) but it made me cross my fingers for a MT C8 option. If the C8 is everything I hope it is, I'll likely still buy a DCT version but it would be great to have the choice... unfortunately, I bet we don't.
GT4 is a keeper, you can’t go wrong if you paid the right $ dollar on the pre-owned market. Car is like money in the bank, the new GT4 will be out next year hopefully NA motor DCT & Manual.. I can’t wait for the ME but don’t see a manual version in a C8 until they come out with the higher rev motor which is in year 2+ of production. The ME is a bold step for GM. One of the most iconic names Corvette in GM history and they are changing it drastically which will up-set some of their faithful’s. I know GM is hoping it will bring over a newer audience, I bet they are wanting a little younger. If they can produce an ME not to far off the base price of the current C7 they will have no problem selling them, I just hope I get mine in the 1st round.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-03-2018 at 05:35 AM.
elegant (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM
evanft
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rgregory
It is funny how everyone just is so on the DCT bandwagon. My Gallardo has the E-gear that is a single clutch system. It is an automated manual transmission, what I like about the system is that it is just automated to do as you command. If I want put the car in neutral I can at anytime, if I want to jump 2 gears up or down I can and it will bypass the gear in between. DCT is cool don't get me wrong but it is a whole other level on complication. I know if GM does it they will go with DCT but to be honest those that love a manual would much prefer the system in my car to a DCT. Yes I know a DCT will shift 0.0x seconds faster... trust me you won't tell the difference.
The E-gear system is absolute garbage. Might as well be talking about the old BMW SMG nonsense.

I mean, a base GTI has a better transmission now. Come on.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:35 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

anything is possible...we know nothing. I said my piece a thousand times already...

if you guys think gm corvette marketing is willing to chance losing 20 percent of their sales by not offering a manual so maybe your right..

i wouldnt want to be that GM guy making that call..

Porsche and bmw tried and got crap from it’s US sales and marketing team...

gm gm isn’t that stupid..

im with you I want a dct next time around for a few laughs in the new tech but the diehards will go berserk...

the suppliers will show gm executives how important a manual tranmission is to the corvette enthusiasts and they will show those gm executives what it will cost to offer their manual and how much incremental profit it can offer..

automobile magazine just gets interweb recognition by making such a false statement that gets traditionalists in an uproar.

we live in an era where creating controversy makes both money and an increase in awareness..

in the end ....gm will offer a manual.

imo
Something to think about. If the current manual market is 23%, lets say they lose half of that (my opinion), so roughly 11.5%. But, they are going to pick up buyers who may have never considered a Corvette, now that its a mid engine design. You may also lose buyers who won't buy a mid engine car, I think that number is fairly small.

I don't think GM is worrying at all about losing half of that 23%, or another 5-10% (my opinion) that won't want a mid engine car, they'll more than make that up with new buyers who have never considered a Corvette. Some of that 5-10% they lose may also be the same that won't want an automatic, so the lost customers could be smaller.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:04 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinLow
Something to think about. If the current manual market is 23%, lets say they lose half of that (my opinion), so roughly 11.5%. But, they are going to pick up buyers who may have never considered a Corvette, now that its a mid engine design. You may also lose buyers who won't buy a mid engine car, I think that number is fairly small.

I don't think GM is worrying at all about losing half of that 23%, or another 5-10% (my opinion) that won't want a mid engine car, they'll more than make that up with new buyers who have never considered a Corvette. Some of that 5-10% they lose may also be the same that won't want an automatic, so the lost customers could be smaller.

why lose any potiential buyers when a supplier can offer a manual transmission ?

i want a dct even though I’ve been driving manual transmission sports cars for forty years, so I don’t care one way or the other.

I believe a supplier will offer corvette engineers as well As the sales and marketing people a program to fit and offer a manual transmission to maximize unit sales of the c8.

of course none of us know for sure so this is just my opinion.

even half of 23percent of annual unit sales is a big enough number for GM marketing and sale sales to consider.

11 percent is still a hefty unit volume to walk away from.

if a supplier of manual transmissions wants the business they can make this happen.

also mite Porsche enthusiasts manage to get Porsche to offer manual transmissions in their sports cars such as the boxster, cayman and 911.

i just think the public relations aspect of continuing to offer a manual in America’s sports car icon is another compelling case to consider when discussing if GM will offer a c8 with a manual transmission.

unit sales and of course the perception of corvette as America’s ports cars.

twenty years of driving corvettes and one of the firsthand questions I get asked all the time a supplier they marvel at the car...Is it a manual ? And then I get a big smile and a thumb s up..

there is this whole drama drama about being “one” with the vehicle that manual transmissions project....and that’s to people who own or don’t even own a corvette.

having a manual means something to Everyman...

i enjoy the manual but next corvette vette I buy wil be a dct because I respect the technology advances the dct offers..

most people purchase or respect at a more emotional level..

even if its 11 percent of annual corvette sales...half of today’s 23 percent..

i think and its just an opinion...offering a manual is a valuable asset to the corvette halo persona.

we ll find out in four months I guess.

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-03-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It's a GREAT sales tactic to leak info that suggests that the manual is going away. There is no doubt that it would lead to some additional sales of existing manual inventory. And in reality, a guy will go in to a dealership planning on buying a manual, then they will offer him $14K off an in stock auto, and they will sell more of those too!
JerriVette (08-04-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 04:29 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The automatic transmission is so horrible in my 2016 Colorado, I will never purchase a Corvette with a similar transmission. Hope for a redesign, remember all the Automatic transmission C7 problems!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I think, in fairness, that all modern TC autos should NOT be lumped in with the 8 speed offered in the C7.
BMW is moving away from DCT's in the M's as is Audi in the RS's and going to TC autos (but better TC autos than the GM 8 speed).

I would also point out that the GM 8 speed, when left in AUTOMATIC, seems to work fine (all of Mero's hero laps are in cars with the 8 speed left in AUTO). No question the GM 8 speed is lacking when paddle shifted.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:46 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
Me too. All of you should go try a proper DCT before you make up your mind. I've learned from one of my mistakes in the past and here it is: All of these new cars (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.) are designed with the DCT from the get go. If enough people complain, they might throw a manual in there for the enthusiasts. But, the manual in these cars is always an afterthought in calibration and driving experience. I bought an F80 M3 with a manual thinking I had made the right decision after test driving a similar example with the DCT. The calibration of the engine, gearbox, and various computer systems sucked in that car. I was in the 2% that got the manual transmission, and it felt like I got 2% of the development effort. I'm still pissed at BMW for the incomplete product they sold me.

That said, the C7 was still designed with a manual in mind, the C8 not so much. GM, for the most point, doesn't screw up chassis and drivetrain. The C7 A8 isn't the best, but it works for most of the customers that buy them. If I'm in a C7 it'll be a stick, however. The C8 with a DCT should absolutely rock. If they put a TC auto in this thing it could be a giant flop, but hopefully they're smarter than that. Every competitor for this car has a DCT, so if Corvette wants to remain relevant that's where they need to go.
I've driven a "proper DCT" and it did nothing for me. Sure, a porshe with a PDK is neat, it does shift fast, but I like rowing through my own gears. It's part of the experience, I want to use both feet and both hands when I drive. It's not about being faster its about enjoying the experience. Plenty of Mid-Engined cars have done manuals for years, there is no reason to not have one. If GM doesn't have a manual in the next vette it's a big F-U to a big chunk of their buyers.

Quick Reply: Automobile says no manual trans in the ME