Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile says no manual trans in the ME

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Automobile says no manual trans in the ME

And recommends getting a C7 now!
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Guess it's the same logic why they don't put propellers on a supersonic jet. "It'll just slow 'em down. "
Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

True.
But that will also mean that anyone can drive it!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That's why I am not buying a C8!!!
The following users liked this post:
tstad9i1 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

They better upgrade that auto shifting because the C7 auto is a slug of a shifter...
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Just got to hope this isn't true. As much hype as GM put out there on the auto in the Z06/ZR1, I can see them being foolish enough to do it.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Automobile magazine wants some attention so they make bold statements like no manual transmission for the c8.

gm is not going to walk away from 23 percent of its annual unit volume.

i want a dct in my c8 without question yet I don’t see GM walking away from 7000 unit sales per year in the early years of the c8.

some supplier will offer GM bean counters reason to offer the c8 with a manual transmission
Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Every article that I have read say DCT. Also if you hear the videos of the C8 they are all automatics!!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

The car that's depicted in this CAD drawing would not have a shifting lever (manual or conventional automatic) between the driver and passenger.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Automobile magazine isn't my go to source for accurate information. That rag has gone downhill ever since their inception when they guaranteed no boring cars in their rag. I prefer a manual shift mid engine, but if it's only a DCT, so be it. I'm all in.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
The car that's depicted in this CAD drawing would not have a shifting lever (manual or conventional automatic) between the driver and passenger.
Yes, for sure GM is going to utilize the column shifter out of the Silverado! Manuals are so hard... Wahhh.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by l2vette
And recommends getting a C7 now!
I wonder how many of these "leaks" come from GM. Sales of the C7 are slow and what better way to pick them up than scaring customers into them thinking it may be the last manual.
The following 4 users liked this post by Stingcan:
JerriVette (08-01-2018), Michael A (08-03-2018), Rapid Fred (08-01-2018), Suns_PSD (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 04:51 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingcan
I wonder how many of these "leaks" come from GM. Sales of the C7 are slow and what better way to pick them up than scaring customers into them thinking it may be the last manual.
dae gonna make it simple, 3 on the tree.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:53 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stingcan
i agree...hurry up and buy a manual c7 is the message I’m hearing.

although I want a dct over a manual and I’ve been driving manual sports cars for over four decades...

i still find it hard to believe that corvette sales and marketing are walking away from 23 percent of their customer base...

just doesnt make any sense from a business standpoint.

if GM does? So be it especially since I personally want a dct...

but having forum members running around stating no manual transmissions as a fact is less than fair to those who want manual transmissions...

lets wait and see befire we declare no manual transmissions for the c8..

that would be a smarter path since none of us actually have any official information...

Last edited by JerriVette; 08-01-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37
That same set of CADs clearly shows a ZF DCT. Everyone here claims the new car will have a Tremec DCT. So it is possible outdated CAD images were leaked.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:00 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

No manual for the C8 is news huh, this been talked about for months wait years. Manuals are on the way out get them while you can. I could see a special edition with a manual if they can package it down the road. DCT is good with me,
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
DCT is good with me
Me too. All of you should go try a proper DCT before you make up your mind. I've learned from one of my mistakes in the past and here it is: All of these new cars (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, etc.) are designed with the DCT from the get go. If enough people complain, they might throw a manual in there for the enthusiasts. But, the manual in these cars is always an afterthought in calibration and driving experience. I bought an F80 M3 with a manual thinking I had made the right decision after test driving a similar example with the DCT. The calibration of the engine, gearbox, and various computer systems sucked in that car. I was in the 2% that got the manual transmission, and it felt like I got 2% of the development effort. I'm still pissed at BMW for the incomplete product they sold me.

That said, the C7 was still designed with a manual in mind, the C8 not so much. GM, for the most point, doesn't screw up chassis and drivetrain. The C7 A8 isn't the best, but it works for most of the customers that buy them. If I'm in a C7 it'll be a stick, however. The C8 with a DCT should absolutely rock. If they put a TC auto in this thing it could be a giant flop, but hopefully they're smarter than that. Every competitor for this car has a DCT, so if Corvette wants to remain relevant that's where they need to go.
Mike Campbell (08-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Automobile says no manual trans in the ME

Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree that manuals are on the way out but that does mean paddle shifting can replace the experience. To me paddle shifting feels the same as if shifting were voice activated and all you had to do is say "up shift" to get an immediate shift. Yes you are in control of when to shift but it is not the same as the 3-pedal experience and never can be. Honestly, if (well, when) I'm forced to have a sport car with no manual I just want it good enough that it is always in the right gear based on acceleration, braking, steering angle, g-forces, etc and leave the shifting to the transmission. Paddle shifting is a weird in-between experience that I am not sure I could ever really enjoy.

My dream situation would be an eventual manual option on the C8 in some sort of driver's trim. We all know that a DCT (or high-tech automatics http://www.thedrive.com/news/9582/bm...-their-way-out) are going to get better lap times than a manual. But you know what? I'm not ever going to be 1/10th the driver to notice the difference. I'd love a manual geared differently than the C7 so that I have to row through the gears. Shifting into 3rd at 90 mph is only fun if you are on a track as everywhere else you are already close to go-to-jail territory or way above it. I don't need 4th gear to be 1:1 with 3 overdrive gears. Make (let) me shift and I'll take the comparatively crappy 0-60 time.

I realize I'm in a small minority. I'm "relatively" young for a Corvette buyer (in my 40's) but I got a manual C7. With a relatively large percentage of manuals sold now I would hope Tadge and company don't abandon us quite yet but the handwriting is indeed on the wall.
tstad9i1 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by fasttoys
No manual for the C8 is news huh, this been talked about for months wait years. Manuals are on the way out get them while you can. I could see a special edition with a manual if they can package it down the road. DCT is good with me,
23 percent of all corvettes are sold with manuals..

what brain surgeon would cancel manual transmissions for corvettes..

that takes a lot of ***** on the part of that sales and marketing or engineering gm employee.

i definitely want a dct in my next corvette ...

that said and I would want to be the GM employees who decided to no longer offer a manual transmission when the sales fall short of expectations...

23 percent of 36000 annual unit sales is over seven thousand unit sales possibly lost..

i dont see gm raking that chance , I don’t see a GM employee taking that chance on his career.

if they do....I wish them the best of luck..

like i I said even if a manual is offered in the next generation corvette I’ll still opt for the dct irregardless of the cost of that option.

im sure GM suppliers will be more than willing to make the corvette engineering team not only a compelling argument to offer a manual transmission at a compelling price.

if I’m wrong so be it...but like I said..I wouldn’t want to be the GM employee making the decision that could possibly loose 20 percent of the manual transmission faithful.

ferrari waited until manual transmission sales dropped to literally single digits before cancelling manual transmissions in their cars.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:52 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Automobile magazine isn't my go to source for accurate information. That rag has gone downhill ever since their inception when they guaranteed no boring cars in their rag. I prefer a manual shift mid engine, but if it's only a DCT, so be it. I'm all in.

Quick Reply: Automobile says no manual trans in the ME