Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C'mon why not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Typical C8 general discussion. I have yet to find the engineering perspective, just the "oh you think" comments. Mid engine doesn't = exotic price and never has. Over-head cam doesn't = exotic price and never has. GM just hasn't done it on the Corvette for production and it seems Corvette commentary believes this must be because it is expensive...........

The Corvette engineering team has done one thing incredibly well since the C5(finally putting a frame under the Vette). The team has matched the performance ability of some of the world's must expensive and sought after performance vehicles at a price most people, with a decent career, can afford. No reason GM is going to sacrifice this with the C8 and the price CANNOT increase much from the C7, or GM ends up altering the typical Corvette buyer persona. To step into the 100K plus, base price, world, GM would have to drop Corvette production several thousand unit per year and brave a buyer type they don't have good data on. Base price just isn't going up and the engineering and production realities of a 60K car are going to beat many of the opinions of this forum. Higher production rates has its advantages over those exotics..............
The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteDiamond:
David Lasic (08-06-2018), RapidC84B (08-06-2018), sunsalem (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:42 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Exactly

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Typical C8 general discussion. I have yet to find the engineering perspective, just the "oh you think" comments. Mid engine doesn't = exotic price and never has. Over-head cam doesn't = exotic price and never has. GM just hasn't done it on the Corvette for production and it seems Corvette commentary believes this must be because it is expensive...........

The Corvette engineering team has done one thing incredibly well since the C5(finally putting a frame under the Vette). The team has matched the performance ability of some of the world's must expensive and sought after performance vehicles at a price most people, with a decent career, can afford. No reason GM is going to sacrifice this with the C8 and the price CANNOT increase much from the C7, or GM ends up altering the typical Corvette buyer persona. To step into the 100K plus, base price, world, GM would have to drop Corvette production several thousand unit per year and brave a buyer type they don't have good data on. Base price just isn't going up and the engineering and production realities of a 60K car are going to beat many of the opinions of this forum. Higher production rates has its advantages over those exotics..............
Excellently stated. There will be very high priced options, as there are now, but the new car's base will be reasonable. I can't wait to put my **** in the seat!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:00 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

If it is a high quality car, it will be shown in the price increase. If its a cheapo car, it will be cheap. I personally hope it is a fair step up from the C7 quality. In both price and quality.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lasic
There are still "high end" 2017 and 2018 corvettes parked at many dealerships. Price is a factor. Its good that the Corvette can maintain its own with much higher priced cars. That's been its hallmark since birth. But on par with Ferrari in interior appointments??? Ummmmm HELL NO. The 3LTZ or 3LT helps. But in an everyday driver, its not necessary. Otherwise why would Cadillac again appear to be getting in the game? The Corvette is just a Chevrolet. That's it's beauty.
Corvette is more than "just a Chevy", it's GM's (and USA's) halo car! Cadillac can't hold a stick next to a Corvette and is pretty irrelevant these days unless you're stuck in the 50's-70's. And the reason there are Corvette's sitting on some dealers lots is that GM has a history of over-producing their halo car. If GM was making only say 20-25K units/year from the beginning of the model run there would still be a very high demand for the car and selling close to msrp, plus it's in its 6th year model run. And fyi, there are plenty of Porsche 911's, Jaguar F-Types, Mercedes S Classes, etc that are sitting on dealer lots as well, now carry on....
Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Default IT's The Price

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Corvette is more than "just a Chevy", it's GM's (and USA's) halo car! Cadillac can't hold a stick next to a Corvette and is pretty irrelevant these days unless you're stuck in the 50's-70's. And the reason there are Corvette's sitting on some dealers lots is that GM has a history of over-producing their halo car. If GM was making only say 20-25K units/year from the beginning of the model run there would still be a very high demand for the car and selling close to msrp, plus it's in its 6th year model run. And fyi, there are plenty of Porsche 911's, Jaguar F-Types, Mercedes S Classes, etc that are sitting on dealer lots as well, now carry on....
Yes, plenty of high end sports cars sitting on dealers lots. Has to do with Price.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:22 PM
David Lasic
Burning Brakes

Default So how much is that base price?

Originally Posted by David Lasic
2018 Mustang GT base price is $35,355 that of course has a 32 valve, 4 cam, 460hp V8. Why do you think that GM can't do this? You think mid engine architecture means big money? What about Toyota MR2 or a GM product the Pontiac Fiero?

The base price of the C8 should be close to the new C7 plus any additional standard equipment that may be added. A base Corvette carefully optioned should remain for the Mark to remain viable. A base Corvette is a beautiful car.

What do you forum members think about this?
Gotta luv it.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I don't understand your point - the 5.0 Ford Coyote makes the same hp and 40 ft-lbs less torque than the 6.2L GM LT1, and it is both physically larger and heavier. The Camaro with the LT1 gets better fuel economy (16/25/19) than the Mustang with the Coyote (15/24/18), so what makes it a better engine? In my analysis, the Ford making more hp per liter (about the same as the 5.0 Lexus engine) but the same hp overall with a weight and size penalty isn't better.
I have this same argument with people who don't understand physics all the time. A stop watch doesn't care how many cams/valves, etc. are crammed into any car engine...power to weight is the only thing that matters. Bench racing on power per unit of displacement isn't even that interesting. Automotive engines, no matter how ostensibly "efficient" (hp per liter, etc.) they may seem on paper, aren't much good if they won't 1) fit into a car and 2) haul themselves around...two things that a Coyote does not do as well as the smaller, lighter, and cheaper-to-build LS/LT. Day one, Engineering 101, professor will say "the very best engineering is elegant in its simplicity". Ford has lost its way, pure and simple. LS/LT is smaller, lighter, simpler, and makes more power under the curve, per unit of mass, and per unit of volume, than a Coyote ever can. End of story.

Last edited by 1analguy; 08-28-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:13 AM
lostsoul
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 944 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Ford has lost its way, pure and simple. LS/LT is smaller, lighter, simpler, and makes more power under the curve, per unit of mass, and per unit of volume, than a Coyote ever can. End of story.

I dont think so tim...

https://www.mustang6g.com/2019-gt350...-dyno-numbers/

why can the new Toyota Supra and many other and now gt350 all be underrated and corvette be over rated?

They have to tweek out more power. Right now according to the SAE sheet even with the NPP it doesnt make 495.

Tadge.. listen.... tell everyone its 495 but make it 550
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

I just bought a base 19' SS Camaro LT1 6sp... for $32,500 Just as a temporary replacement until I get my C8. Same HP as the C7 stingray...… But I will tell you this Camaro does not even compare to the Stingray. Not even close. ( I had both a C7 stingray and Z06). The Camaro is equal to the Mustang and to try and compare the Mustang to the Corvette is a pure joke.

The gearing must be different because it feels so much slower than the Stingray.
The handling is 5X better in the Stingray.
The appearance is night and day.
The interior is far better than the Camaro.....

The Corvette is priced correctly over a Mustang!

Quick Reply: C'mon why not?