Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the vert is a retractable hard top with "buttresses", what's the point of a targa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 09:36 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,152 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Default If the vert is a retractable hard top with "buttresses", what's the point of a targa?

I've owned 5 Corvettes; 4 C5s (Z06, coupe, vert, Z06) and now a C7 Z51 coupe. I love a convertible for a street car, but being able to track my car is a must so I typically picked Z06s or targa tops. The Targa is nice, but having to take the top in and out a bunch gets old. It would seem to me like the proposed retractable hard top (I.e. Ferrari 458) is going to be the perfect "do everything" solution. So I was thinking... with a hard top power convertible available, what would be the advantage of a targa model? Thoughts?

1. Targa could be a little lighter with no power top hardware, but today's cars are so porky I wonder how much weight savings would really be available?

2. More storage with the targa? But targa out it has to go somewhere?

It would make more sense to make a fixed roof coupe and a power hard top convertible IMO.

EDIT - If the power hardtop did not pass HPDE tech with most groups then the manual targa would be the only option for a trackable car that can be "open air" on the street. However, many cars with the little integrated roll hoops (S2000, Boxster, etc.) do pass HPDE tech. I would think the buttresses will have some rollover protection purpose.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 08-08-2018 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Quinten33 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Cost? They can charge a $5k premium for a power targa.
Larshelt (08-17-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 AM
MickOpalak
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally agree. I'd love to see the current convertible replaced with a power hardtop convertible like the Cadillac XLR. Best of both worlds.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Cost? They can charge a $5k premium for a power targa.
Huh? There are no plans to do a power tara a la Mazda Miata or Porsche Targa. It's going to be a manual removable roof panel or a power hard top vert. My point is it would make more sense to do a fixed hard top coupe and the power hard top vert. The targa has little benefit over the hard top vert.

The only caveat to this would be if the hard top vert DOES NOT pass HPDE tech and you can't track it. Then the only option for a trackable open-air car would be the targa.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:01 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Huh? There are no plans to do a power tara a la Mazda Miata or Porsche Targa. It's going to be a manual removable roof panel or a power hard top vert. My point is it would make more sense to do a fixed hard top coupe and the power hard top vert. The targa has little benefit over the hard top vert.

The only caveat to this would be if the hard top vert DOES NOT pass HPDE tech and you can't track it. Then the only option for a trackable open-air car would be the targa.
Seems like most ME manufacturers (i.e. Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo, etc.) build a FRC version and a "Spyder" version with a power hardtop to satisfy their customers' desires depending on whether they prefer the open air feel or not. Most "spyders" are usually heavier so the performance is not quite the same as the FRC models.

Not sure about the targa in a coupe unless it'll just be there because the Corvette has always been known for that feature in their coupes except for certain instances (C5/C6 Z06 models). I think most Vette owners of coupes enjoy having that available to them so maybe the new ME will continue that tradition.

Last edited by dreamr616; 08-08-2018 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreamr616:
ArmchairArchitect (08-08-2018), Larshelt (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:03 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dreamr616
I think most Vette owners of coupes enjoy having that available to them so maybe the new ME will continue that tradition.
I get that... but functionally what's the point when you have a power folding hard top? A targa seems like a pointless exercise.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

I dunno. The stylistic line between a Ferrari 458 style 'convertible' and a Miata RF style 'power targa' is a very fine one.

If it had a flat rear deck with pop up roll bars I'd be more inclined to call it a convertible, regardless of whether it's a soft or rigid top.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Tool Hoarder: “So I was thinking... with a hard top power convertible available, what would be the advantage of a targa model? Thoughts?”

i’ve owned an ‘11 Z4 with a retractable HT. Loved its HT compared to either my C6 or current C7 both having targa tops. The problem with most, if not all retractable hard tops on FRONT engine cars is that you lose a considerable amount of trunk space when it is retracted to the rear. My Z4 had a special trunk divider that was required to be lowered before the HT could even be lowered thus removing ~ 1/2 the storage space.

i suspect the Corvette ME will not have this problem because, 1) the frunk will be for primary storage, 2) there may be a small trunk just in front of the rear facia, and 3) the HT may fold down and lay between the buttresses under a cover. With that a vertical center window between the buttresses that retracts behind the seats, outside of the cabin rear fire wall. Some suspect the HT will also store that same way.

But there could be one advantage of a manually removable Targa Top if its storage issue is solved. It is if the ME Targa Top model also has buttresses and not a C7 style hatch. Then that center window between the buttresses could also be lowered whether the Targa Top is on or off. Result, a more open passage of air through the cabin. This also could be used in a fixed roof ME. Another benefit, all models of the ME could have a common verticle rear window architecture lowering costs. Although room for a C7 style hatch is still possible too.

Think C3 and envision it with large butresees, retractable rear window, and Targa Top not T-Tops. Corvette Hertiage too.

P.S. Love this red!

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 08-08-2018 at 11:35 AM.
IronV (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

What is the point of a targa top? I've been wondering that for years. I like my convertibles...
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
What is the point of a targa top? I've been wondering that for years. I like my convertibles...
I can legally track my car and take the top out on the street. I cannot track a convertible without a rollbar which destroys the interior space and a "legal" bar that goes 2" over your head doesn't fit under the top anyway.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Rapid Fred (08-08-2018), Rkreigh (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default By any standard...

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

P.S. Love this red!
That is an extraordinarily beautiful design. Amazing that GM could follow up the brilliant C2 Stingray with the equally brilliant C3. They spoiled us and then went into conservative hibernation for 30+ years.

Last edited by IronV; 08-08-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronV:
-vet (08-10-2018), Jm419 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

True, cars are getting "heavier" but I'm not so sure the ME is going to purposely go that route. There are enough items of concern to solve, weight, added size of top storage, and complexity (of a folding hardtop convertible) aren't two or three to add to the mix. I think it'll be a conventional removable targa choice, and a light(er)-weight cloth convertible as is possible. The strength will be in the "hoop" of the targa for racing, and the convertible won't qualify for most racing/HPDE situations. JMG (just my guess)
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Removing/ replacing the targa top does get a bit tiresome I must admit. It's fine for a long road trip day, but really annoying when you drive 15 minutes away for lunch.

If their are buttresses for roll over protection, I love the idea of a powered roof on all models. I'd surely want one!

However, another easy option is a folding, good up to about 100 mph, optional targa top. Something that you can store and carry on a long road trip to deal with rain storms and overnight, without using a lot of storage. And it would be light too.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
True, cars are getting "heavier" but I'm not so sure the ME is going to purposely go that route. There are enough items of concern to solve, weight, added size of top storage, and complexity (of a folding hardtop convertible) aren't two or three to add to the mix. I think it'll be a conventional removable targa choice, and a light(er)-weight cloth convertible as is possible. The strength will be in the "hoop" of the targa for racing, and the convertible won't qualify for most racing/HPDE situations. JMG (just my guess)
There is no evidence to date of a soft top convertible, but there is plenty of photo evidence for a folding hardtop.

There are clearly 2 types of cars running around - one with roof seams consistent with a targa top, and the other with seams and fat buttresses consistent with a folding hardtop a la Ferrari 458/488.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

A roll over hoop is needed. It will not pass tech. Targa's pass due to the windshield hoop and the rear B pillar being a hoop attached to the chassis.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
A roll over hoop is needed. It will not pass tech. Targa's pass due to the windshield hoop and the rear B pillar being a hoop attached to the chassis.
Cars like the Boxster and S2K pass tech with many groups because of the integrated hoops. If the buttresses are structural the C8 vert may as well.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

The advantage to GM of going with the targa over a fixed roof coupe is they avoid the weight and cost of the airbags the fixed roof coupe would have to have.

Personally, I'd love to see the rig as a fixed roof coupe and retractable hard top vert. I like the advantages/benefits the fixed roof provides as far as better structural integrity, and absence of pops, rattles, squeaks, etc.

I'm pessimistic I'll be able to get one, though, as GM will probably go targa to avoid the cost/weight of the airbags.

Last edited by OnPoint; 08-09-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To If the vert is a retractable hard top with "buttresses", what's the point of a targa?

Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Targa top for standard car...retractable hardtop for those who are willing to pay probably seven grand for the luxury...

the added weight will probably be an extra 100 pounds.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:36 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

In the minority but the best thing they can do is a retractable hard top convertible and a solid roof coupe. You really want open air get the spyder, you want performance without the compromise and perhaps a more visually appealing car get the FRC.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

SAfety regulations on open top vehicles is less involved and so both the corvette and the targa and the power folding hardtop will be the only vehicles offered.

i dont remember the exact regulation but it was the same reason the solstice coupe had a targa roof.

there are millions and millions of dollars extra required to meet the safety or air bag requirements of a hardtop coupe as compared to a removable roof vehicle.

as im rolling 60 next year i enjoy staying young lifting off the targa roof and storing it in the trunk..

it makes me laugh as i do it and I drive with the roof off all the time.

i loved my 500 hp c5 z06 but with my present corvette having a targa...ill never own anything but an open air corvette...

i anticiapte ar least 7 grand based off of what bmw charges for a hardtop convertible and with that ill go for the targa most probably...

my better half said to me the ither day that pretty soon ill be too old to be flipping that roof into the trunk amd to that i said not a chance...the targa suits me just fine...

she almost talked me into a jaguar f type v8 convertible last year instead of a new corvette...

now that ive gotten to see the c8 R i know i made the right choice...

same goes for the top i think...

nothing like the open air to experience life to the fullest..

jmo

for gm its about one set of safety standards for both vehicles...

nothing more except maybe some of enjoy the targa and for those that dont...just keep the targa locked in place.

Quick Reply: If the vert is a retractable hard top with "buttresses", what's the point of a targa?