Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8.R packs in flat-plane V8

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NineVettes
Another thing about these high revving overhead cam motors is that they don't have the low RPM torque Corvette owners are used to. In the Shelby, really need get well into the 3 grand RPM range before "wake up time." Glorious exhaust notes, fun at the higher RPMs, but something small block Corvette owners are not used to, and frankly, much more suited to track than street.
Unlike many Vette owners, I don't have an addiction to low-end grunt.
I'm not a big fan of having to feather the throttle to avoid throwing the damn thing in a ditch...
Also, IMHO 5.2 liters just too big for the FPC, massive vibrations issues that Ford had to deal with besides the other problems...
I don't really know how BIG a flat-plane engine can get before ***** starts to go wrong...I bow to superior knowledge.

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
As for those Ford GT's....easily the worst sounding cars in the entire weathertech/wec...lol.
True, but not as bad as the street car...

Last edited by sunsalem; 08-12-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I understand your point, but I thought the idea was to finally own a car that has more torque than you will ever use.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,299 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
As the guy said in the MT vid, his comment was seemed to be nothing below 3500 rpm and then hold on. That would remind me of some ancient street turbos (not the more modern ones, of course). Still, if Chev can solve the lifespan and low end torque/power, it would be a winner.
The rumored electric motor hybrid, high end model would definitely address the low end torque issues with the FPC motor.

I dont believe the base model model will have the FPC.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 AM
0Deity.Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnystock

This LS7 Passat sounds like nothing else with just custom headers. You would never know its an LS with the hood closed.

https://youtu.be/Qq8zEJHWT7g

Take time to listen to this. Just the new ME exhaust configuration can change a lot of things.
180 degree or 8-1 headers will make change traditional LS/LT sound to be more FPC easily.

I have one off 180 degree headers on my C7Z and it’s intoxicating exotic. It’s like a big displacement FPC car.

The following users liked this post:
darkmercury (10-08-2019)
Old 08-12-2018, 09:43 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by King Dranzer
Finally Chevrolet decides to drop in Flat-plane V8 in Corvette. Never thought they will drop it in so soon.
If GM decides to go with a FPC for the C8 street car, you can forget about a starting price under $75k - that FBC engine will easily add $10k to the price.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

The 6.2L Gen V LT V8 powertrain for the base mid-engine Corvette model.

The right set of headers can make a Subaru sound like an LSX, a 2JZ sound like a Coyote, or an LT1 sound like a Ferrari 430. The headers on the LT1/LT2 powered mid-engine Corvette are certainly unique in the LS/LT family, and they may be able to make the engine sound very different than the C7’s LT1. Using similar headers on a smoother, higher-revving, lower-displacement DOHC V8 could make the setup sound like a FPC engine. I have very little knowledge in exhaust system design, so I could be wrong, but I agree with others who say that the headers (and, potentially, the rest of the exhaust system) are making the C8.R’s CPC V8 sound like a FPC V8.

There’s no way that they would make FPC DOHC V8s just for use in the mid-engine Corvette and the rest of the Corvette lineup(if a front-engine C8 will be built at all). The Corvette has to share some V8’s with the Camaro, and it seems that Cadillac will be using their own V8’s starting in 2020. There’s no way that they would put FPC engines in the Camaro, and there’s absolutely no possibility of GM making engines specifically for the Camaro. Performance cars are losing more and more market share each year, and GM doesn’t want to spend more money on them than they need to.

Last edited by Quinten33; 08-12-2018 at 10:27 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Quinten33:
638HP (06-20-2020), ArmchairArchitect (08-13-2018), CorvettoBrando (08-13-2018), Flex182 (09-22-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

If they are building a FPC engine, it will have to be low displacement. As Ford found out, in order to quell the inherent vibration of a large displacement FPC engine, you have to add a lot of balancing weight to the crank. They ended up adding so much balance weight that the rotational inertia ended being about the same as a cross-plane crank engine. What's the point of all this? To say you have a flat crank engine? It still ended up not being very smooth, and they had to add even more mass to engine parts so they wouldn't shake apart.

I don't get the fascination with flat plane crank engines. They are inherently flawed.

Last edited by Michael A; 08-12-2018 at 11:23 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Michael A:
ArmchairArchitect (08-13-2018), Puttnutt24 (08-13-2018), RJ-92 (08-14-2018), trooper (06-20-2020)
Old 08-12-2018, 12:58 PM
King Dranzer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
If they are building a FPC engine, it will have to be low displacement. As Ford found out, in order to quell the inherent vibration of a large displacement FPC engine, you have to add a lot of balancing weight to the crank. They ended up adding so much balance weight that the rotational inertia ended being about the same as a cross-plane crank engine. What's the point of all this? To say you have a flat crank engine? It still ended up not being very smooth, and they had to add even more mass to engine parts so they wouldn't shake apart.

I don't get the fascination with flat plane crank engines. They are inherently flawed.
Yes there is a possibility of it being low displacement Turbocharged FPC V8 which creates similar power output to higher displacement Supercharged CPC V8.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:21 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts
Default More $$$$

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If GM decides to go with a FPC for the C8 street car, you can forget about a starting price under $75k - that FBC engine will easily add $10k to the price.
According to a spreadsheet put together by one of the members of a forum called Mustang6G, he has logged nearly 60 reports of blown FPC motors - data drawn from probably less than 1000 owners on a couple of different Mustang forums and FB. According to some of them, Ford says the engine replacement cost (just cost of the engine, not labor) is about $30,000. Ford refuses to let any of their dealerships look inside the motor, it must be shipped back to Ford intact. I am sure if GM does a FPC it will have considerable smaller displacement than 5.2 liters. And if they want torque down low, it will need a turbo or a supercharger.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NineVettes
According to a spreadsheet put together by one of the members of a forum called Mustang6G, he has logged nearly 60 reports of blown FPC motors - data drawn from probably less than 1000 owners on a couple of different Mustang forums and FB. According to some of them, Ford says the engine replacement cost (just cost of the engine, not labor) is about $30,000. Ford refuses to let any of their dealerships look inside the motor, it must be shipped back to Ford intact. I am sure if GM does a FPC it will have considerable smaller displacement than 5.2 liters. And if they want torque down low, it will need a turbo or a supercharger.
60? That’s insane...

Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Thermal managment advances on GMs four cylinder 2-7liter will make its way to the corvettes v8..

it ll be amazing...

the entire tri power advance is impressive if possibly a little far reaching with its name..

flat plan cranks tend to be under 4liters in displacement due to harmonic imbalance difficulties..

cadillacs 4.2could become 3.9 liters with a flat plan crank...

that i could believe.

5.5 liters could be a difficult challenge

fords gt350 has had some vibration challenges over time i believe.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Thermal managment advances on GMs four cylinder 2-7liter will make its way to the corvettes v8..

it ll be amazing...

the entire tri power advance is impressive if possibly a little far reaching with its name..

flat plan cranks tend to be under 4liters in displacement due to harmonic imbalance difficulties..

cadillacs 4.2could become 3.9 liters with a flat plan crank...

that i could believe.

5.5 liters could be a difficult challenge

fords gt350 has had some vibration challenges over time i believe.
Adding to your point, only two modern FPC V8’s have exceeded 4 liters of displacement. One is obviously the 5.2L Voodoo V8 in the GT350, and the other is a 4.6L V8 in the Porsche 918. According to ZERV, who the forum tends to trust, GM is making a 5.4L V8 and a 4.6L V8 for the C8, and one displacement is likely to have a naturally aspirated variant alongside its turbocharged setup. Unless GM plans on making an engine with the Bore:Stroke ratio of a Ducati Panigale, There’s no way that they’re making a 4.6L or 5.4L FPC V8.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quinten33:
638HP (06-20-2020), JerriVette (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Quinten33

Adding to your point, only two modern FPC V8’s have exceeded 4 liters of displacement. One is obviously the 5.2L Voodoo V8 in the GT350, and the other is a 4.6L V8 in the Porsche 918. According to ZERV, who the forum tends to trust, GM is making a 5.4L V8 and a 4.6L V8 for the C8, and one displacement is likely to have a naturally aspirated variant alongside its turbocharged setup. Unless GM plans on making an engine with the Bore:Stroke ratio of a Ducati Panigale, There’s no way that they’re making a 4.6L or 5.4L FPC V8.
Based on the above and other posts I have my doubts there'll be a flat-plane crank engine in a Corvette. We will see. I also didn't think there'd be as many turbo-4's in as many cars as there are now in the market--but there is.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 AM
King Dranzer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

As much I wanna believe it not being a FPC V8. I have not come-up with better reasoning for the engine to sound like that.

1. It is definitely not V6 as the difference between V6 and V8 is clearly audible. That sound is definitely not sounding like V6. It is a V8.
2. Exhaust alone cannot make the CPC V8 sound that smooth. There should be multiple elements causing the engine sound that smooth. If that is true that it is CPC V8 but is sounding smooth like FPC I would like to know how.
3. If firing order is changed it still will be odd-firing engine which will not give you this smooth sound output. That cannot be the cause.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Turbo 4engines makes sense with todays power density.

where did the idea that the new dohc twin turbo corvette engine would be both a flat plan crank and greater than 4liters come from?

the cadillac engine is 4.2 liters with a hot vee design...

gm has stated its a cadillac only engine.

reducing the displacement slightly and putting in a flat plane crank does make some sense....

of course the ability and low cost to share that engine with the pickup truck lineup would seem to fall by the wayside..

id rather have a simplier design thats shared with silverados..

the cost savings is huge to consumers..

im happy with a five hundred hp lt1derivative dct rear mid engine z51c8 starting in the mid sixties
Old 08-13-2018, 09:13 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
As the guy said in the MT vid, his comment was seemed to be nothing below 3500 rpm and then hold on. That would remind me of some ancient street turbos (not the more modern ones, of course). Still, if Chev can solve the lifespan and low end torque/power, it would be a winner.
They will not solve it unless they bring the CU up. Which cannot be done without CAFE impact and possible gas guzzler taxes.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Unlike many Vette owners, I don't have an addiction to low-end grunt.
If GM stays with a sub 4L flat plane, the fears of "omg, not enough grunt," are overblown. With the obligatory set of turbos, Ferrari has shown you can have a small displacement V8 putz around town at 1500 rpm, and yet still mash the gas and move out with authority. Your not left wanting for more torque even at 2K rpm in that car. Squirting around in traffic is never an issue even in 7th.

Like you, I dont got an addiction to needing 500 ft lbs off idle to have it peter out by 4K. I'd much prefer 90% of torque from 1500 to 7000 or something of the like.

Get notified of new replies

To C8.R packs in flat-plane V8

Old 08-13-2018, 10:26 AM
likeaboss
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Yes, they did do it first.
But from what I have been reading recently about oil burning and engine grenading, I'm not so sure they have mastered it yet...
I had three GT350s (long story) but the first one did not have any excessive oil usage while the other two required about a quart between the 5000 mile oil change intervals. What did concern me was the rate of bone stock engines grenading. I do miss the 8250 redline and sweet exchaust note though...
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 12:10 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by King Dranzer
As much I wanna believe it not being a FPC V8. I have not come-up with better reasoning for the engine to sound like that.

1. It is definitely not V6 as the difference between V6 and V8 is clearly audible. That sound is definitely not sounding like V6. It is a V8.
2. Exhaust alone cannot make the CPC V8 sound that smooth. There should be multiple elements causing the engine sound that smooth. If that is true that it is CPC V8 but is sounding smooth like FPC I would like to know how.
3. If firing order is changed it still will be odd-firing engine which will not give you this smooth sound output. That cannot be the cause.
In my humble opinion a FPC is no advantage in toque or HP and may be a disadvantage in weight and balance. The Sound difference is just from the redesigned Hot V exhaust. If you read the info on the Cadillac 4V, 4 cam, 4.2L V8 where the V mounted twin turbos gives them the opportunity to design the exhaust pulses to be Even for each turbo, helping the turbo lag and even out the heat pluses. That will make the exhaust sound just like a FPC engine, from a normal V8 uneven pulses. Also the turbos will quiet the exhaust reducing muffler requirements and temperature. We will learn to love the sound. I want one. Jim
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM
likeaboss
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I find it very telling that Ford decided to go back to CPC for the 5.2L Supercharged V8 in the new GT500. Even they didn't have confidence in the 5.2L FPC to continue use in forced induction applications. Making the GT350 a potential true collectible down the road as Ford's only FPC offering.

Last edited by likeaboss; 08-13-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: C8.R packs in flat-plane V8