Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8.R packs in flat-plane V8

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by King Dranzer
With the leaked audio clip C8.R sound in which the engine sounds smooth and deep. It can most-probably be result of Flat-Plane crank. First I thought it was due to implementation of Turbos, but turbos cannot make Corvette Cross-plane V8 sound like that nor can exhaust system. Yes I realize that it is not official but the audio clip of the C8.R sound make it sound more like European V8 and only deduction for it can be inclusion of flat-plane crank instead of cross-plane.

Audio Clip of C8.R:
https://sportscar365.com/industry/au...-turbo-engine/

Finally Chevrolet decides to drop in Flat-plane V8 in Corvette. Never thought they will drop it in so soon. This video makes my point even strong.

Sound of C8:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyV8K7Vrp7k

This video makes my point of it being FPC V8 even strong.
Interesting theory, but after racing a DOHC ATSV the past couple years, I believe you're just hearing the extra valves as the ATSV despite being a V6 is very throaty when we added our exhaust to it. Plus the flat plane cranks have terrible vibration issues and Ford will NOT be continuing the engine in the 5.2L found in the GT500. Their warranty issues resulting in this have been a mess for failed engines, despite the amazing sound of the engine.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:30 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Yikes, sorry to hear that.
I have heard a lot of negative things about that engine.
Has Ford been to advance the engineering and deal with some of the issues?
Other than the vibration at that specific rev range (1800-1900 RPM), and the car eating a bit of oil (1 quart every 1500-2000 miles) the engine is amazing. True, the torque is reduced below 3500 RPM, but it still moves well and once you go above that it really opens up. It is awesome at the track and a big reason I got the GT350 over the C7. I did not like the high RPM feel of the LT1, nor the throttle response.

I do do wish we had more insight to the failure modes of the voodoo, because I think people are partially nervous because of the unknowns. My engine now has 32,000 miles and 5 track days, so I think I got a good one. I applaud Ford for having the courage to release such a crazy engine, but I also think the vette is better suited to a cross-plane DOHC engine.

-T
Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 AM
King Dranzer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Interesting theory, but after racing a DOHC ATSV the past couple years, I believe you're just hearing the extra valves as the ATSV despite being a V6 is very throaty when we added our exhaust to it. Plus the flat plane cranks have terrible vibration issues and Ford will NOT be continuing the engine in the 5.2L found in the GT500. Their warranty issues resulting in this have been a mess for failed engines, despite the amazing sound of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4Ss0rSyPc&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktSxPXCQa8
The first point can be argued as there is a possibility of Chevy pulling off a miracle which no one were able to before by manufacturing exhaust system which makes V6 or a CPC V8 sound like FPC V8 which can be new and can be accepted. But based practicality up till now for me atleast the V6, FPC V8 and CPC V8 sound a lot different from each other no matter what exhaust you put on(talking about existing exhaust systems, so if Chevy is able to tackle it with something new can't be argued but I think it is not practically possible) .

Second point if they really go with FPC then I expect Chevy to solve the vibration problem with either going for low displacement engine in combo of turbo(this is what I believe they are doing) or add in dampening to reduce it as much as possible.

Last edited by King Dranzer; 09-23-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I have ZERO interest in a flat plane crank engine in the Corvette. Too much vibration,
I (and the Italians) don't think a FPC is an inherently inferior design.
OTOH, it isn't like Ford has had a lot of experience with its design.
I think it's a bit unfair to consider their efforts a Fail.
and, frankly, unless they are wound up, they don't even sound good.
Beauty, of course, is within the ears of the beholder.

Originally Posted by JerriVette
IF you read the news piece PR piece on the new cadillac 4.2 liter hot v turbo..its constantly references its crank...

so much so it starts to become curious and possibly the tt dohc engine in the c8 will have a flat plane crank...
You might be onto something...

if so i believe the twin turbo, flat plane crank engine size will have to follow ferraris lead....

i could be wrong but ferrari went to 3.9 liters in its flat plane crank turbo v8 for a reason...

i dont knkw the reason but there must have been a reason..
Ferrari has always had a tradition of small displacement engines in their cars.
There are a couple of reasons for this.
A) Small = lighter weight, as well as a compact form-factor.
B) Racing series they compete in almost always mandate small displacement. Ferrari is a manufacturer unlike any other: race 1st, sell 2nd.
Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Other than the vibration at that specific rev range (1800-1900 RPM), and the car eating a bit of oil (1 quart every 1500-2000 miles) the engine is amazing.
I have heard a couple up close and it sounds like no other engine I know of.
I did not like the high RPM feel of the LT1, nor the throttle response.
That's understandable.
I also think the vette is better suited to a cross-plane DOHC engine.
I completely agree.
Anything that looks and handles as well as a late-model Corvette DEMANDS a cross-plane DOHC.
Putting a truck motor in it is just plain silly.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:17 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

I believe that I read somewhere that GM will be using active engine mounts to quell vibration.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Anything that looks and handles as well as a late-model Corvette DEMANDS a cross-plane DOHC.
Putting a truck motor in it is just plain silly.
Pray tell, what's a DOHC engine got to do with good handling? Yoo telling me that a heavier engine with a high Cg and a very long timing chain or belt and at least $600 in increased costs is better for handling? Tell me the advantages,especially with a blown version with 4 VPC?

Last edited by Shaka; 09-23-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
I believe that I read somewhere that GM will be using active engine mounts to quell vibration.
That's not what active engine mounts primary duty is for. Talk about the main stream media spewing out fake news, The CF makes them look biblical.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:22 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Except when Ford tried to do a large displacement version, the rotational inertia came out the same as a cross plane engine due to all the band aids they had to do to quell vibration, so the engine would shake itself to pieces.
So, FORD has a FPC semi-failure and that makes all FPCs failures? No, it does not, it simply makes FORDs a semi-failure. Apparently lots of FPC engines are not failures.

I have ZERO interest in a flat plane crank engine in the Corvette. Too much vibration, and, frankly, unless they are wound up, they don't even sound good.
I have no skin in the game of what engine (or engines) GM puts in C8, I am pretty sure that GM will make good choices.
What I don't kindle is blaming the architecture of FPCs for the failure of one embodiment.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:36 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by likeaboss
That's called a Shelby GT350 since Ford did it first. I am a little concerned about the move to the FPC because in the case of said Ford it was the least mod friendly Mustang to date.
Not with a mid engined V8 they didn’t.

Last edited by quick04Z06; 09-23-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:31 AM
King Dranzer
Instructor

This video at 6:04Min and 6:34Min makes my feeling about it being FPC even stronger

The following 2 users liked this post by King Dranzer:
ArmchairArchitect (10-21-2018), keagan (10-20-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:32 AM
SocraticCrystlMethod
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FPC is a fad, who cares about that? It increases vibration and harshness for no actual benefit.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:20 PM
SocraticCrystlMethod
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4Ss0rSyPc&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cktSxPXCQa8
What wheels are those on the orange ZR1?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:34 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobbyInc
Why does bhp/liter matter? Bhp/lb helps you go faster...
Amen, Brother ! If you are an engine designer, HP/Ltr is the metric, but if you are a sports or race car designer, HP/# is the thing that counts. Lot of would be engine designers on this forum but few would be auto designers. In every venue where displacement is not penalized, (Can-Am, Offshore Boat Racing, Aircraft Engnes), Displacement is the much preferred approach to getting more power, because it is lighter and more reliable.

One more fun fact - high output from small displacement is a reaction to either taxes based on displacement or competition formulae which cap displacement.
The following 4 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
ArmchairArchitect (10-21-2018), Michael A (10-19-2018), Rapid Fred (10-20-2018), Shaka (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

HP per liter is only a thing where gas mileage requirements dictate it. In every other case a larger displacement motor is desirable. Especially on the street.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:56 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,910 Likes on 1,356 Posts

I (and the Italians) don't think a FPC is an inherently inferior design.
OTOH, it isn't like Ford has had a lot of experience with its design.
I think it's a bit unfair to consider their efforts a Fail.
Beauty, of course, is within the ears of the beholder.
Not all of the Italians. Maserati takes the same engine that goes into Ferraris, and puts a cross-plane crank in.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Somebody say destroked!? ;)

Did somebody say Tadge spoke to this!?
Simply changing the engine dynamics negates much of the need for computer intervention. ME layout same - same.
Not sure how this will sort out, only that the core of which that this is a fresh start with easy money changes therein.
(The OHV has a low CoG that the Corvette Racing competition has hated!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 10-27-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 AM
King Dranzer
Instructor

C8-R Sound on Track:

Sounds lot different than traditional American V8.

Get notified of new replies

To C8.R packs in flat-plane V8

Old 12-09-2018, 09:57 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I don't know what it is, but to my ear it sounds great. Reminds me of the F1 cars. If the car can produce max torque low in the RPM range, the car should be a beast. Personally I prefer to see the big torque number around 1400RPM rather than 3000-3500. Call it instant gratification or whatever, but it puts a huge grin on my face.

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 12-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I don't know what it is, but to my ear it sounds great. Reminds me of the F1 cars.
That's funny, after listening to the video above your post I was like man that sounds similar to an F1 engine at lower revs....indeed it does. My vote is for a TT small disp V8. No idea about the FPC issue.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 12-09-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 AM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Ben and Dcbingamen pretty much nailed it. I've DD'd and tracked a DOHC and a couple of pushrod cars (including a C6Z), and now have 20,000 miles on my GT350R. The C8R in the clip does not sound like a FPC, and I tend to agree it's probably a TT V6.

Some posters have called the Voodoo a "failure" or a "fad," while Trackaholic says the engine is terrific for a track car (and seems to imply it should therefore be a good race car engine). And Sunsalem defends the FPC generally and also suggests the C8R may have a FPC too. Those comments aren't entirely wrong.

There are plenty of FPC cars out there, but none (that I'm aware of) as large / heavy as the Voodoo, at least that are in mass production. Ford's accomplishment with the Voodoo was not only sufficiently mitigating the NVH for such a large engine, but, more broadly, in authorizing and executing the entire program when it was probably seen as a risky project.

The main reason, as I see it, why the Voodoo is seen by many as a failure or fad is the long term effects it's harmonics have on the integrity of the entire car. Ford seems to have adequately addressed noise (in fact it's glorious) and vibration (e.g., the mass dampers on the exhaust). But there's no way to adequately mitigate the transitory excitations of the natural frequencies of hundreds (thousands?) of components and subassemblies throughout the car - and, yes, I mean relative to those imparted by a CPC engine of equal displacement. That will absolutely cause premature wear of everything - instrument bezels, seals, fasterners, etc etc. If the Voodoo weighed only 100 pounds, the amplitudes of those vibrations would be sufficiently damped out. But in the case of an FPC, size (scale) does matter. I can hear, see and feel those effects already in my R. I seriously doubt the Corvette customer, especially the new ones (who are the brand's lifeblood), would enjoy that experience the way older, "hard core" car guys like me (and Trackaholic) do. And Chevy knows it. I think Chevy would conclude (has already) that the novelty and other arguable advantages of a FPC don't warrant the engineering necessary to design and integrate an FPC into their new mid-engine platform, especially since it would still have markedly more pronounced NVH than a CPC engine.

As to the Voodoo's trackability: there's no doubt that's where the car really shines. But there is an enormous gulf between repeated HPDE sessions and weekends versus competitive racing. I would expect a large displacement FPC to be less dependable and durable than a CPC engine of the same displacement. And Ford seems to have already decided the matter for their racing program.

Last edited by GrampZ; 12-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: C8.R packs in flat-plane V8