Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumored Frame Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 11:50 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

^^^^ I agree. I hope their flogging the ever loving shet out of this rig. Now is the time to break stuff - and learn from it/fix it.

I also hope they're running the pizz out of it on track in 100 degree heat as well.

Last edited by OnPoint; 08-12-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:27 AM
wilfie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealers like to see someone that is serious to put them on the waiting list so like a deposit even if refundable. (Tesla for example) Much better than... ya man put me on the waiting list, I'm good for it.
I have a deposit on a mid engine corvette and that is exactly what car is listed as on the offer. AND I get a guaranteed place on the waiting list. GM actually has quasi announced to the dealers the ME Corvette is coming, just no specifics at all.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:40 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I understand your point, but it's IMSA not ALMS, and before changing to the M8 in GTLM, which road car was the BMW Z4 GTE based on lol? The fact is they were allowed to race a hardtop Z4 coupe (with a different frame) despite not even selling a hardtop Z4 coupe, and never offering the Z4 with the M3's V8. In the case of Corvette, the C7.R and Z06 share a "production based frame." In early testing, it's hard to say what frame may be in a prototype race car. As previously stated, even if there was/is a "problem" it could be something really simple, something complex, and/or having more to do with the production process than performance.

Again, I don't disagree with the premise of your point, and admittedly the rumors about frame issues may be anywhere between bogus and legit. Obviously, I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter.
Yep, IMSA, not ALMS, but you know what I meant...

As far as BMW (and Ford for that matter), they were able to race NON-homologated cars, I don't think GM would ever play it that way.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:04 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

A deposit on an unknown non-existing motor vehicle is absolutely crazy. There is no order number, picture, model, option, guarantee to what your purchasing. Any dealer that takes this " order " is certainly speculating they will ever be involved in the program. Most instances are a thousand dollar check deposit based on an ego that says " I am important and wear the kings invisible clothing ". The brag factor is worth more than the dollar amount. I would not buy from a dealer who would participate in this probability. A great question for Mike Furman, the guru of east coast Corvette sales. I will venture he will not entertain any such order with a promise to deliver the agencies initial " future " super car production examples. All great hype for Chevrolet.

How about a new rumor, ...... Ford is building a rear engine Mustang in the sub 100,000 price range as a look alike GT40 ?
A deposit on a ride in outer space is 100 times more viable.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:41 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I see, so working with MacMulkin, getting on their C7 Z06 list over two years in advance of even the regular C7 being announced, was a “fools errand.” But guess what jrs427, my C7 Z06 order was the very first one they submitted to the Plant in September 2014 — and my Z06 got made the first week of production. And it has been an outstanding car.

Similarly, I send a check to Mike@Criswell on Feb. 1, 2015 (have a copy of it still). It was received by Mike, is in a time and date stamped folder in is office, listed as # 9 in his priority list for ME orders.

All who wish to scoff at those who choose to get on a dealership’s ME list, have at it. And those of us who choose to get on such a list, thankfully there is such an option.

We each get to choose.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (08-18-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM
z8ra
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 120 Posts

I have put deposits down on the last three generations of Corvettes, before they were announced, at three different dealerships, and every time got exactly the car I wanted, and much sooner that I would have had I not done this. This time I have done the same for the mid engine corvette, over a year ago, with Furman.
​​​​​​Would you put, one penny down, refundable, on an unannounced car, with a reputable person such as Mike Furman? I think the amount of money makes a difference, and also relative to how much disposable income the person has. If Bill Gates or any mega billionaire had to put 1000 down, to them that is like a penny. I am not saying I am a billionaire but I am just saying that to make a point that if all the money I had in the world was a thousand dollars, I would be very stressed out about putting that thousand down, and probably would not do it. Just saying there are shades of gray in between 1000 and 1 billion, and that definitely has an impact on how stressed out one would be about the deposit, so it can not be left out of the conversation about stuff like this. This and the reputation of the dealer are both part of the risk/reward equation for this decision being a bad idea or a good idea.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (08-14-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I see, so working with MacMulkin, getting on their C7 Z06 list over two years in advance of even the regular C7 being announced, was a “fools errand.” But guess what jrs427, my C7 Z06 order was the very first one they submitted to the Plant in September 2014 — and my Z06 got made the first week of production. And it has been an outstanding car.

Similarly, I send a check to Mike@Criswell on Feb. 1, 2015 (have a copy of it still). It was received by Mike, is in a time and date stamped folder in is office, listed as # 9 in his priority list for ME orders.

All who wish to scoff at those who choose to get on a dealership’s ME list, have at it. And those of us who choose to get on such a list, thankfully there is such an option.

We each get to choose.
^^^^^What he said. I, too, received my first C7 Z06 in an early consensus. If you want new technology, you get in line early. Not sure why this concept applied to Corvettes would be deemed ridiculous? Has absolutely nothing to do with bragging. Since when is $500-1000 for anything these days considered bragging? It’s called being aware and keeping options open. It’s the way it works with custom-spec’d high end cars. Do you think a guy just happens upon a GT2RS spec’d exactly the way he wants it, sitting on some dealer’s lot?😂. Nope, the car was essentially sold out before it was even officially launched.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Ordering next year production example has been done for years. Its not taking into account this is a new venture example NOT released, NOT fully tested and NOT officially for sale. Some of the would be owners have no idea what the cost will be. Do you think an extra 150k over the current price will cause a few set backs ? I'm all for new technology but not a celebrity that can pay a cool million for one of the first production models. The hugest EGO will want the first one on the block for bragging rights. I have always waited for the dust to settle seeing what is fact or fiction. No pretenses, no brag, Chevrolet owner for four decades, applying common sense to all endeavors .
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Ordering next year production example has been done for years. Its not taking into account this is a new venture example NOT released, NOT fully tested and NOT officially for sale. Some of the would be owners have no idea what the cost will be. Do you think an extra 150k over the current price will cause a few set backs ? I'm all for new technology but not a celebrity that can pay a cool million for one of the first production models. The hugest EGO will want the first one on the block for bragging rights. I have always waited for the dust to settle seeing what is fact or fiction. No pretenses, no brag, Chevrolet owner for four decades, applying common sense to all endeavors .
You seem to be coming down on these guys pretty hard, they are grown adults and know full well the risks they take in buying something new and being some of the first to own one, and I don't believe Ego is the big factor here they are simply Corvette people excited about what amounts to a history changing corvette as many of us.
Tying up a few dollars to get their names on a list early could be a smart move as like the Z06 initially there will be limited allocation of these cars the first year. My dealer for my Z06 had an allocation of 1 and I had my money down many months before they could order it.

These folks also have the option not to buy it for any reason and get their money back or even postpone their order so their risk is small.

Parents stand in line all the time for the latest toy, Kids to have the latest iPhone. We're just standing in line for the latest Corvette.

Last edited by Redc8z06; 08-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Redc8z06:
elegant (08-14-2018), Glenn Quagmire (08-13-2018), tooold2race (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Your absolutely right RED. Why should one person have any thoughts or opinion on anything ? Independent thought should be banished and the wandering mind stoned. I am not telling anyone to do anything. It just amazes me the thought pattern of others. Right you are again.

I'm placing a down payment on a space suit and passage to the moon. The USA is reinstituting the space program. I want to be the first civilian passenger ( for bragging rights, ego mania, and headlines in a local newspaper. My second venture will be a down payment on a privately owned passenger train. A company in Spain had a contract with Wisconsin a while back and the company could not meet its commitments.. I should look into rail rental options but I want to see my name on the train first . I have no idea the style, speed, power source, or the cost because they haven't built one yet, ...... but they will have my down payment and I will be first in line. After all who wants the third or fifth model ?

All foolishness aside, GM is a huge corporation. They will eventually release a mid engine Corvette. There will be no shortage. Two shifts a day will produce as many cars as the buying public will demand. They are not reinventing the wheel. Current parts will play a huge development in the design. I have no idea if my size and shape will be comfortable. I'm wedged in the C-7 and getting out is a pain. The design will not radically change for several years ...... so whats my hurry ? I am thinking this will be a $140,000 plus expenditure . I want to touch, feel, drive, and feel certain this is the new toy I want to play with for the next decade. Being young and knowing it all I have speculated in the past and LOST. I tend to think twice before opening the financial gates for speculation, rumors, and opinions from non involved sources. Great for magazine sales.

Please excuse my post as I know others have clearly thought through this topic.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Your absolutely right RED. Why should one person have any thoughts or opinion on anything ? Independent thought should be banished and the wandering mind stoned. I am not telling anyone to do anything. It just amazes me the thought pattern of others. Right you are again.

I'm placing a down payment on a space suit and passage to the moon. The USA is reinstituting the space program. I want to be the first civilian passenger ( for bragging rights, ego mania, and headlines in a local newspaper. My second venture will be a down payment on a privately owned passenger train. A company in Spain had a contract with Wisconsin a while back and the company could not meet its commitments.. I should look into rail rental options but I want to see my name on the train first . I have no idea the style, speed, power source, or the cost because they haven't built one yet, ...... but they will have my down payment and I will be first in line. After all who wants the third or fifth model ?

All foolishness aside, GM is a huge corporation. They will eventually release a mid engine Corvette. There will be no shortage. Two shifts a day will produce as many cars as the buying public will demand. They are not reinventing the wheel. Current parts will play a huge development in the design. I have no idea if my size and shape will be comfortable. I'm wedged in the C-7 and getting out is a pain. The design will not radically change for several years ...... so whats my hurry ? I am thinking this will be a $140,000 plus expenditure . I want to touch, feel, drive, and feel certain this is the new toy I want to play with for the next decade. Being young and knowing it all I have speculated in the past and LOST. I tend to think twice before opening the financial gates for speculation, rumors, and opinions from non involved sources. Great for magazine sales.

Please excuse my post as I know others have clearly thought through this topic.
"Why should one person have any thoughts or opinion on anything ? Independent thought should be banished and the wandering mind stoned. I am not telling anyone to do anything"

Actually you are you are telling those people that put deposits down that they are foolish.

Dude you should put that down payment on a space suit you're already out in space.

And by the way:
"There will be no shortage". You're wrong
"Two shifts a day will produce as many cars as the buying public will demand". Wrong again the first year.
"They are not reinventing the wheel." Sorry wrong again, the ME is a NEW design.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 592 Posts

I would have a hard time believing this car will be as massed produced as the current C7 AND have a price tag starting anywhere above six figures. Defies any marketing strategy that would ever be successful specifically for GM. IF the car is going to be marketed directly at the exotics then exclusivity will be required to justify the price tag.

I don't frequent those circles but my brother does and even getting his hands on upper echelon Mercedes models takes more than just having a good relationship with a loan officer or a pile of cash sitting in offshore accounts. He has been on plenty of waiting lists for years for vehicles that may or may not arrive anywhere near their stated launch dates. The first thing GM will have to get right with the C8 is set an actual launch date for the car and then miss it by at least a year, maybe more.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 AM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

LOL!!! There will be LOTS of problems with this all new platform the frame is the least of their worries. It’s GM after all. I would stay away from this car until at least the third model year unless you REALLY love your Dealers service department. I predict a very messy first year.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 PM
jrs 427
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5Driver
LOL!!! There will be LOTS of problems with this all new platform the frame is the least of their worries. It’s GM after all. I would stay away from this car until at least the third model year unless you REALLY love your Dealers service department. I predict a very messy first year.

I love your thought process. Be the fool to be fooled. A majority of the new customers ( standing in line ) will not worry about price. ( money to them is just a way of keeping score among peers )

It will be in a glass case at their residence as a tribute to ones success in the financial world.
GM will definitely hang a " well over 100,000 tag on them. All engineering and marketing costs will be absorbed as the financial section will determine what the motoring public will pay for this example. Demand will keep up to todays level of production. This is Chevrolets chance to share the podium with there fiercest competitor, the GT40.
Totally different comparison to the introduction / initial sales of the C-7. New design body, basically same components updated from the C-6. We know from past history the design has a life span of 6-10 years before buyers desire a new face in design along with improvements. GM is slowing the production line for better quality as well as not to flood the market keeping demand on track. They love the hype the car has presented in every automotive magazine understanding a section of customers will fall short in the financial aspect. Surveys indicate many owners are 55 and older. Will they be driven on the streets daily ? Will insurance rates keep some buyers out of the circle ? Despite some beliefs this design will roll down the assembly line as quick as a C-6 once problem areas are worked out. NO shortage as some believe. I hope it works out better than Harley Davidsons future projections. One feature is certain. They will retain their value better than any recent production model produced..... but not everyone who has waited six decades wants a Ferrari.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 PM
wilfie
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

With some of the negativity on Corvette I thought I was on the Tesla forum for a while.
If some of you are really Corvette enthusiasts, Let me try to talk you off the ledge.
No dealers have been mentioned on this forum that are charging any more than MSRP on early deposits.
Everything will be managed for a startup new design as can be, no one wants to wait for perfection nor expects it.
I don't expect any epic fail, some issues sure.
I expected some on my C7 and not had a one.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:13 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm so glad you feel that way. I'm even happier that I don't have to worry about you being in line for a new ME in front of me! I'm also hoping that a few that are in front of me in the line at the dealer, will drop out when the price is announced.....
Old 08-15-2018, 09:04 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Originally Posted by tooold2race
I'm so glad you feel that way. I'm even happier that I don't have to worry about you being in line for a new ME in front of me! I'm also hoping that a few that are in front of me in the line at the dealer, will drop out when the price is announced.....
No worries. When 3 years of production is on the streetsThe upper class will be looking to get out of their " social investment " as they will no longer be cloaked in disguise and quite common. Current government forums indicate a huge cut in social security as well as medicare lies ahead. The system is already under funded. Dreaming of owning an exotic on one hand and complaining of the price of bread is the other. Talk remains very cheap while some are happy to rent in substandard conditions. Like the starving artist I plan to look ahead and plan accordingly. Notice how many expensive cars recently for sale ? Come back to this forum in five to seven years to see who is still hoisting whiskey or satisfied with water.

To those who think I am knocking GM , Chevrolet, or Corvette, your interpretation is slanted. I have enough GM classics, ( 10 ) of which 7 are old retired vettes ) to keep me company. I paid little for them years back and don't care if they are worth anything because they are not for sale in this life. Pay close attention to the financial world advising to save for retirement. It nears quickly as costs continue to rise. To the Marines of the third division who spent 13 months of their life in combat as an infantry soldier in south east Asia in 1966, ..... My wish is we all could have made it back to this great country in good health. Doctoring for diseases we never knew existed while inhaling poison chemicals. Cars are a great hobby but quality of life is so much better.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrs 427:
ByByBMW (08-15-2018), Rapid Fred (08-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Rumored Frame Problem??

Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

No worries. When 3 years of production is on the streetsThe upper class will be looking to get out of their " social investment " as they will no longer be cloaked in disguise and quite common. Current government forums indicate a huge cut in social security as well as medicare lies ahead. The system is already under funded. Dreaming of owning an exotic on one hand and complaining of the price of bread is the other. Talk remains very cheap while some are happy to rent in substandard conditions. Like the starving artist I plan to look ahead and plan accordingly. Notice how many expensive cars recently for sale ? Come back to this forum in five to seven years to see who is still hoisting whiskey or satisfied with water.

To those who think I am knocking GM , Chevrolet, or Corvette, your interpretation is slanted. I have enough GM classics, ( 10 ) of which 7 are old retired vettes ) to keep me company. I paid little for them years back and don't care if they are worth anything because they are not for sale in this life. Pay close attention to the financial world advising to save for retirement. It nears quickly as costs continue to rise. To the Marines of the third division who spent 13 months of their life in combat as an infantry soldier in south east Asia in 1966, ..... My wish is we all could have made it back to this great country in good health. Doctoring for diseases we never knew existed while inhaling poison chemicals. Cars are a great hobby but quality of life is so much better.
We may not see eye to eye but I thank you for your service for this great country of ours.
Ex Vietnam vet myself.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 283 Posts

Hey jrs 427..... you must have mistaken me for someone in the 'finger bowl set'..... We've owned, driven, raced and shown Corvettes since 1968. Fortunately we've been blessed with success and can afford to have a few Euro exotics as well as a C7 in our garage. Since we've had outstanding luck with our more recent first year Corvettes, I see absolutely no reason to sit on the sideline and miss out on the fun while I wait for the 'refinements' from the Corvette group. I guess in your mind that makes me a 'show off' or just plain stupid.

That's okay with me since that's what makes this a GREAT country in spite of its many faults.

Oh by the way, we drive all of our cars. After all, they are only machines.

…...and I do sincerely thank you and all of those men and women who sacrifice so much every day so we can enjoy the freedom to argue over and play with our toys.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

I love your thought process. Be the fool to be fooled. A majority of the new customers ( standing in line ) will not worry about price. ( money to them is just a way of keeping score among peers )

It will be in a glass case at their residence as a tribute to ones success in the financial world.
GM will definitely hang a " well over 100,000 tag on them. All engineering and marketing costs will be absorbed as the financial section will determine what the motoring public will pay for this example. Demand will keep up to todays level of production. This is Chevrolets chance to share the podium with there fiercest competitor, the GT40.
Totally different comparison to the introduction / initial sales of the C-7. New design body, basically same components updated from the C-6. We know from past history the design has a life span of 6-10 years before buyers desire a new face in design along with improvements. GM is slowing the production line for better quality as well as not to flood the market keeping demand on track. They love the hype the car has presented in every automotive magazine understanding a section of customers will fall short in the financial aspect. Surveys indicate many owners are 55 and older. Will they be driven on the streets daily ? Will insurance rates keep some buyers out of the circle ? Despite some beliefs this design will roll down the assembly line as quick as a C-6 once problem areas are worked out. NO shortage as some believe. I hope it works out better than Harley Davidsons future projections. One feature is certain. They will retain their value better than any recent production model produced..... but not everyone who has waited six decades wants a Ferrari.
GT40? Ford quit making those in the '60's. You don't even know what you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Rumored Frame Problem??