Corvette C8 Release Date - Who's thinking of getting one? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Corvette C8 Release Date - Who's thinking of getting one?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette C8 Release Date - Who's thinking of getting one?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:16 AM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Anything's possible......but I decided to buy a new 2017 C7 M7 convertible 8 months ago - because I was skeptical whether the C8 would be available as a convertible, and manual transmission. Besides, I was certainly not down with buying a mid/rear engine car, until it had a couple model years under it's belt, with more engine choices.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-19-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:07 AM
4U2ENV
CF Senior Member

I'm in between vehicles now, have to see what my employee discount is, GM will probably will put a hold on it like the 2014 C7 and the 2019 ZR1 6 month hold they always do on new models, so it won't be till next August for me to get one!
Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM
GSVette19
Lifetime Supporting Membe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default c8

Originally Posted by CJ455 View Post
So I just heard about the C8 spy photos and I know that the exact release date is not confirmed yet, but I was wondering who here is preparing to get one and why?
I plan on buying one as long as dealers donít try to gouge!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 AM
hlanfear

Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
Not enough information. I'm skeptical.

No manual will be a real turn off. If its only a targa I think I'm out.

I'm struggling because of the 'no manual' concept too! Maybe there are good technical reason for that, but isn't that why many of us want one in the first place? May stick w/ my C7
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM
stealthy08
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Iím thinking to get one depending on the entry price. If it looks like there is going to be one on the road every time I go out I may choose something else. The C8r photos are pretty damn awesome though. I hope the final product closely resembles it. I did put my next purchase on hold until it is revealed.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:19 PM
tstad9i1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sin City View Post
Not enough information. I'm skeptical.

No manual will be a real turn off. If its only a targa I think I'm out.
Amen brah, if there is no C8 stick and no FE M7 option then I'm out altogether. I don't want another Camaro, and no Mustang, 718, M3 etc. etc. After all these years I'm finally comfortable enough to pull the trigger on buying a Vette but not if it's automatic only. Disappointing.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Racer86
CF Senior Member

I’m on Mike Furman’s allocation list at Criswell. Maybe 2020 release
Old 08-19-2018, 01:30 PM
fasttoys
CF Senior Member

Been on the waiting list when I sold my 2015 Z06. My dealer was not even aware an ME was coming out, so I am 1st on the list over 2 years now. If the ME release follows GM history when it comes to past generations I will have one in my garage within 4 months it hits the street. When the new Z version comes out the following year I will sell and get the next one as my name will be on that wait list. In the end it all depends if I like the car and look, if not I will be buying another R8 or equivalent ME product.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-19-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:54 AM
purple heart
CF Senior Member

So I just heard about the C8 spy photos and I know that the exact release date is not confirmed yet, but I was wondering who here is preparing to get one and why?
Count me in!
Old 08-22-2018, 07:20 AM
fatsport
CF Senior Member

I'm in if there's a manual. I had 1 DCT car and the .008 second shifts did nothing for me.
C'mon GM, put a manual in it
The Following User Says Thank You to fatsport For This Useful Post:
Michael A (09-11-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Naa, don't need a manual anymore. Nobody is streeting or tracking manuals anymore (except Miata...love that car!). It used to be fun to row gears and win, but now it's auto that are killing it on the track. That said, I'll wait for MY22 when the dealers are done raping buyers and fixes are addressed.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:47 AM
ColoradoGS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Naa, don't need a manual anymore. Nobody is streeting or tracking manuals anymore (except Miata...love that car!). It used to be fun to row gears and win, but now it's auto that are killing it on the track.
I don't think anyway is arguing that autos > manuals when it comes to performance. But 23% of C7 sales are manuals. GM has to have a plan for that. The plan may be market research on what fraction of that 23% won't by a C8 because no manual and how many new customers can be drawn in to make up for that. If that's a net gain then the manual will go. But even Porsche has reintroduced manuals due to customer demand and that's with their fantastic PDK.

The streeting or tracking argument isn't the only argument. I mean otherwise there wouldn't be a convertible option at all as people are streeting or tracking convertibles, right?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:27 PM
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS View Post
I don't think anyway is arguing that autos > manuals when it comes to performance. But 23% of C7 sales are manuals. GM has to have a plan for that. The plan may be market research on what fraction of that 23% won't by a C8 because no manual and how many new customers can be drawn in to make up for that. If that's a net gain then the manual will go. But even Porsche has reintroduced manuals due to customer demand and that's with their fantastic PDK. The streeting or tracking argument isn't the only argument. I mean otherwise there wouldn't be a convertible option at all as people are streeting or tracking convertibles, right?
All good points, it's a preference thing...but: I don't think Corvette is going to cater to the 23%. They'll focus on the performance of the ME and if auto's are it (they are), that's what they'll use. I'd be very surprised if Corvette introduces a manual C8 ever. Some other speculation: FE C8, don't think so. Hybrid C8 AWD, possibly. What I see here is Corvettes move to high tech. Manual rowing isn't it. I could be wrong of course all the way around, but I got a hunch...
Old 08-22-2018, 01:41 PM
ColoradoGS
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
All good points, it's a preference thing...but: I don't think Corvette is going to cater to the 23%. They'll focus on the performance of the ME and if auto's are it (they are), that's what they'll use. I'd be very surprised if Corvette introduces a manual C8 ever. Some other speculation: FE C8, don't think so. Hybrid C8 AWD, possibly. What I see here is Corvettes move to high tech. Manual rowing isn't it. I could be wrong of course all the way around, but I got a hunch...
Yeah for sure. I don't have a crystal ball or any inside info from GM. I was just looking at the numbers. I mean put it this way. One quarter of all Corvette sales are manuals. GM is not walking away from that without a plan. Is the plan to go high-tech, as you say, and leave (some? most?) of those customers behind with the target of even more new customers because the C8 ME is really a Lambo Huracan Lite? That is certainly an option. It's a risky play though and auto manufacturers are notoriously risk-averse.

Personally I feel the current leaks and data point to (eventually) FE and ME variants. The ME variant is the higher tech with a higher price point that you describe. The FE variant (really a C7.5 but a C8 with a very similar frame but everything else updated) comes along a couple years later. What if market research shows both of those have the chance to sell at 20,000 units each? That would be a jump of 10,000 units overall and make the bean counters happy. The alternative--a high end ME as the only variant--might mean only 20,000 units sold. Yeah, more profit per unit but is GM ready to say good-bye to all those manual-loving, chrome-wheel-zealot, rag-top-down-99%-of-the-time, rumbly-V8, I'm-gonna-be-in-a-parade-this-weekend customers? My gut say no but only time will tell.

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 08-22-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:55 PM
bebezote
CF Senior Member

I'm also watching closely whats happening w the Tesla roadster... if it were a long wheel base...bigger car... I'd be all in in a hurry... 8.9 in the 1320...blistering..
Old 09-07-2018, 09:31 PM
CJ455
CorvetteForum Town Crier

Wow! Looks like a lot of you are interested in getting your hands on the new C8. What color would you guys consider?
Old 09-07-2018, 11:46 PM
zhopper05
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist
Default Getting one

I will be getting one, and hopefully flipping it soon for the Hi Power one when released next.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM
DCortez
CF Senior Member

If its under 100k, yes. Over, maybe.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:48 PM
84 4+3
CF Senior Member

Maybe it'll drive c5 prices into the ground and I can afford one of them... everything else is way beyond what I can afford. once the loans are paid and I'm settled in my field and have a daily that doesn't have 200k on it then I can look into another toy...
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42 PM
twilhelm39
CF Senior Member

My $5k deposit is placed and I'm #2 on my dealers allocation list. I hope they offer some new colors like Lambo green but if not I will go with orange.
The Following User Says Thank You to twilhelm39 For This Useful Post:
CJ455 (09-11-2018)

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: