Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

If the cutout would have a little sharper angle, we could use it to open a beer bottle! A first in Corvette history.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:04 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.

This has pointed out several times. Videos of the car going around the 'Ring have shown the camo wrap flexing under wind stress and revealing the outline of the shape, very closely how you have it outlined.

That shape also peaks through the black tarp in a couple spy photos taken almost a year ago.

The sketch I made of the two pictures I saw of the car nearly a year ago also show this same basic shape, though my drawing sucked and trying to draw the shape fro a front side angle is a challenge for the drawing handicapped such as myself..

Last edited by C7pimp; 12-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This has pointed out several times.
I know that. I've read many threads on this forum every single day for nearly 2 years. The reason I brought it to attention is becuase many renderings as of late have strayed far from what it is going to look like.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:55 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

I know that. I've read many threads on this forum every single day for nearly 2 years. The reason I brought it to attention is becuase many renderings as of late have strayed far from what it is going to look like.

So the question in the title of your thread was rhetorical. Got it.
sidepipe seeker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

As good a guess as any other..

id say it will be close and will look awesome.

i personally believe the outer projection to the outer side of the vehicle have been much too pronounced in previous excellent sketchs..

i believe the side scoops will be mild and toned down...underneath the cladding...

when gm offers a higher performance version...im not sure it will the wheellips expanded an inch or two as in orevious generations...

i believe the main styling changes for the c8 z06 model will be around the wideness of the side scoop...

the bigger the scoop...the higher the performance version and sure the rear fenders could get wider at the same time..
Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It is more than the shape of the intake port. The entire quarter must be enlarged (hight/width). There is no way GM got it that wrong even taking into account that they destroyed their Silverado and Camaro.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

[QUOTE=Zora.Info;1598438317]We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.
[/QUOTE
Having read "The thinking eye, the seeing brain" I'm a bit causus about what I see. However, I want to see what you show as I've wanted a shape/location like that for a long time. So, I'll stick out my neck and say, THAT'S IT

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 12-03-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

That shaped scoop outline looks somewhat familiar to me.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
That shaped scoop outline looks somewhat familiar to me.

Wow, didn't even think of that. If it does end up looking like my outline, that would be a really cool tribute to the C1. C1 is the first Corvette ever, C8 is the revolutionary change, makes sense!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This has pointed out several times. Videos of the car going around the 'Ring have shown the camo wrap flexing under wind stress and revealing the outline of the shape, very closely how you have it outlined.

That shape also peaks through the black tarp in a couple spy photos taken almost a year ago.

The sketch I made of the two pictures I saw of the car nearly a year ago also show this same basic shape, though my drawing sucked and trying to draw the shape fro a front side angle is a challenge for the drawing handicapped such as myself..

this shape has been discussed many times and is “close” to the shape shown in the leaked CAD drawing BUT the CAD scoop opening was a bit more angular and shaped more like this rendering.
Below is a body color version. I think this solution works for both eyewitness descriptions.

Shaka (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

this shape has been discussed many times and is “close” to the shape shown in the leaked CAD drawing BUT the CAD scoop opening was a bit more angular and shaped more like this rendering.
Below is a body color version. I think this solution works for both eyewitness descriptions.

IMO the top one looks much better and closer to my outline, as well as the car we saw the scoop through the black tarp. But it would be cool if GM offered that little panel from the bottom rendering in body color or carbon fiber. Would be a nice addition. Either way, that rendering has got to be close.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

This looks like ****. Literarily like one design team did the front and another did the rear then bolted them together.
firstvettesoon (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

I saw what you saw. I just didn't have the tools or patience to present it. I think it pays slight homage to the old school "cove" design as well as serve a functional purpose.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Aerovette
I saw what you saw. I just didn't have the tools or patience to present it. I think it pays slight homage to the old school "cove" design as well as serve a functional purpose.
I agree. It's a nice nod to the old school design.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

I agree. It's a nice nod to the old school design.
Originally Posted by Aerovette
Lots of ideas on this, and I suspect some close, but I think we are all in for a surprise. I lean toward design heritage thus this possibility intrigues me since I first saw a C1 when I was 10 in 1953. Below my original posts using the C1 design inspiration on the ME.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:27 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
This looks like ****. Literarily like one design team did the front and another did the rear then bolted them together.
As basic as this rendering is based on the known or assumed body lines, the design is quite cohesive and honors Corvette design language and lineage IMO.
Shaka (12-04-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Heritage

It’s been a while since anyone pointed out the scoop shapes of the 1986 Corvette Indy concept and the 1990 Cerv III. I’ve been expecting something similar all along:

firstvettesoon (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by ZL-1
It’s been a while since anyone pointed out the scoop shapes of the 1986 Corvette Indy concept and the 1990 Cerv III. I’ve been expecting something similar all along:

So, it looks like we're getting a mix of the scoop on those concepts, and the decal on the side of the C1 Corvette. I like it.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:47 AM
bdsvavars
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Winner

The scoop actually has a very similar shape in my latest renders, it just has a black insert.

Attachment 48350083
The following 4 users liked this post by bdsvavars:
bgspot (12-13-2018), edved (12-04-2018), firstvettesoon (12-04-2018), Shaka (12-04-2018)

Quick Reply: Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*