Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Different Engines at C8 Launch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Default Two Different Engines at C8 Launch?

I'm wondering if we will have two different engines at launch, the current OHV small block for the base C8, and the new DOHC flat crank engine for some uplevel variant. Based on the recent C8.R recording, it appears the C8.R has a flat crank engine. The GTLM class rules state that the engine must be a production engine, unless they get a waiver.

Thoughts?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:49 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

They’ll get a waiver. We’ve only seen one model testing on public roads, that being the Stingray. Some say that some IVERS have slightly more aggressive cues, but that is likely just the Z51 package. If a higher performance model were going to be available at launch, we would see twice as many IVERs and one half of them would appear to be more aggressive than the other. The Gen V 6.2L V8 will power the initial mid-engine Corvettes and a Z06 model will be coming a year or two after with a low-displacement twin-turbocharged DOHC V8.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 07:44 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
The C8 engine could be the 4.2 twin-turbo V8 Cadillac engine. I suppose connect that engine to a dual-clutch electronic transmission.

Is that car coming in at $60000 ? Since the NSX is $156000 and the R8 is $139000 I suppose that they will target a price of $90000 for the exotic roof line and rear-mid-engine.

So they still have to develop a $60000 car. Probably just a 102" wheelbase car, without exotic roof line, with front-mid-engine, and with a smaller pushrod V8 than current.

A Porsche Cayman with rear-mid-engine comes in at less than $60000.

Oh I see what to do. In the same rear-mid-engine car do a low roof line with an optional engine and electronic transmission and do a tall roof line with a base engine and standard transmissions. Well, both the Cayman and R8 have poked-up roof lines.
i would love to have the Twin Turbo available at launch or another variant I am just thinking we only get the pushrod on the base ME. Which follows the trend how GM rolls out their cars then the Z06 version of the ME will have the more exotic engine.

No competition wonder what this does to the GM strategy.
Bad news the R8 at 139k is a rear wheel limited production to 300 total in the USA only. Next one up which is the true base car and easier to get is 164k+. R8 goes away in 2020 for poor sales. NSX major discounting and could go away after 3 years of production, Acura is loosing major money on the car. My point their is no ME cars available other than the Lotus Evora 400 at 92 base price and next ME is the Mclaren at 192k I don’t count the least expensive the 4C you have to be 150 lbs to get into that car, lol I owned one and sold it, was way to small. My R8 is very comfortable hope the ME is the same.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-19-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:07 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by B Stead
The Porsche Cayman is rear-mid-engine and also a longitudinal oriented engine but I would like it better with the perfect-balance six-cylinder engine. The Cayman doesn't have a chassis like the Corvette or Evora. The Cayman has sufficient wheelbase length but shorter than the Evora. The Evora rear-mid-engine is a transverse oriented engine.

For the C8, I'm suggesting two different bodies, one body with the optional engine and transmission and another body with the standard engine and transmissions. The optional engine might be the 4.2 twin-turbo V8 Cadillac engine. The standard engine could be a 5.3 pushrod V8 because the high volume cars have to make CAFE MPG numbers. I'm also suggesting a 102" wheelbase and a lighter weight car.For the C7 Z06 I suggested a 6.2 V10 pushrod engine. GM came out and said that they considered a high RPM engine for the Z06. The reason for the V10 is to increase valve area over the engine displacement and increase efficiency.

I like the 4.6 Northstar Cadillac engine for a base engine. That engine is based on a C4 ZR-1 engine.

I thought the N-Star-motors had problems? That is what a mechanic told me at the Cad-dealer who moved over to the sister store BMW as i dont know much about that motor.
Lol how did I forget the P cars that are mid-engine, I dont look at them like I do as a Lambo, R8 & Ferrari on so on. I was at the dealer on Friday looking at my friends GT2 RS 700hp (PIC). The Cayman S, GTS and the GT4 I hope 2019 they make another n/a GT4. I sold my 15 C/S last year (PIC). Porsche told me on Friday that manuel’s are only available in the GTS, GT3,GT4 versions of their cars. My Evora S was a great car I did call mine the Frankenstein car build quality was just okay it’s used many other manufactures parts. Corvette had better interior and build quality. Porsche is on another level

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-19-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:48 AM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I think we have a good chance of two motors at launch. GM is building the Caddy twin turbo OHC motor at BG. I don't buy it when Cadillac brass says it's for their brand only when it's being built at the Corvette plant. Maybe it will have a few mods but I think it will be ours and soon. My guess, my bet.

Last edited by Red08Roadster; 08-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08Roadster
I think we have a good chance of two motors at launch. GM is building the Caddy twin turbo OHC motor at BG. I don't buy it when Cadillac brass says it's for their brand only when it's being built at the Corvette plant. Maybe it will have a few mods but I think it will be ours and soon. My guess, my bet.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Cadillac from what I read was pretty adamant about NOT giving the 4.2 to Corvette....time will tell.

Last edited by purple heart; 08-22-2018 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by purple heart
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Cadillac from what I read was pretty adamant about NOT giving the 4.2 to Corvette....time will tell.
The Caddy version is not really an option. Only in GM's screwed financial bean counter thinking would that happen, as the Caddy is a HOT-V motor and not necessary for the ME layout.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 08-23-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Caddy is a HOT-V motor and not necessary for the ME layout.
could u pls explain your point?... Are u saying: because a V8 Turbo, and therefore hot-v is not necessary in ME, because TT V6 is good enough? Thnks.

Last edited by Parcival; 08-23-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:05 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
could u pls explain your point?... Are u saying: because a V8 Turbo, and therefore hot-v is not necessary in ME, because TT V6 is good enough? Thnks.
I'm not WhiteDiamond but... With a hot-v layout the turbos are inside the V of the engine. This helps with packaging in tight areas which is required if you have front-engine like the Cadillac would have. For a mid-engine layout you can put the turbos outside of the V and the hot-V design is not required. At least that is how I understand it.

An interesting link, if you are curious:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wha...-does-it-have/
Old 08-23-2018, 12:16 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I'm not WhiteDiamond but... With a hot-v layout the turbos are inside the V of the engine. This helps with packaging in tight areas which is required if you have front-engine like the Cadillac would have. For a mid-engine layout you can put the turbos outside of the V and the hot-V design is not required. At least that is how I understand it.

thanks I’ve seen that and other reviews of German cars. So it’s abt the packaging benefit not necessary then.

Because it works great in long engine bay of a AMG GT. But there, it’s abt sharing the compact turbo unit among different Merc models

Last edited by Parcival; 08-23-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:38 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Hot V is not just for packaging but response.

My new S4 has a Hot V setup and lag is non-existent.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:17 PM
C5Driver
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I'm wondering if we will have two different engines at launch, the current OHV small block for the base C8, and the new DOHC flat crank engine for some uplevel variant. Based on the recent C8.R recording, it appears the C8.R has a flat crank engine. The GTLM class rules state that the engine must be a production engine, unless they get a waiver.

Thoughts?
correct a V8 a supercharged V8 and a supercharged V6

Last edited by C5Driver; 08-23-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

I thought the N-Star-motors had problems? That is what a mechanic told me at the Cad-dealer who moved over to the sister store BMW as i dont know much about that motor.
Lol how did I forget the P cars that are mid-engine, I dont look at them like I do as a Lambo, R8 & Ferrari on so on. I was at the dealer on Friday looking at my friends GT2 RS 700hp (PIC). The Cayman S, GTS and the GT4 I hope 2019 they make another n/a GT4. I sold my 15 C/S last year (PIC). Porsche told me on Friday that manuel’s are only available in the GTS, GT3,GT4 versions of their cars. My Evora S was a great car I did call mine the Frankenstein car build quality was just okay it’s used many other manufactures parts. Corvette had better interior and build quality. Porsche is on another level

love the Evora...the exterior is very hot.... if they would stretch that thing and make it... id buy one... never drove or rode in one.. but my yardo looked as big as a caddy inside.. compared to the lotus..
Old 08-23-2018, 08:10 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Parcival

The next poster explained pretty much as I meant it.

I have an Audi S6 with a Hot V arranged V-8, similar to the poster with the new S4. However, I do disagree with the response of a hot V vs a typical turbo set up; no reason a typical turbo set up can't match. The hot V also lends to some issues with heat concentration.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:27 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for posting this article...this quickly explains all I need to know about the hot V... !!! Now release the kraken!!!! gimme a C8!

Get notified of new replies

To Two Different Engines at C8 Launch?

Quick Reply: Two Different Engines at C8 Launch?