Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME Zora Debut Soon........

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:18 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I don't think GM has any need for a halo car in the perspective of the Ford GT. The Ford GT has been humbled by the current ZR1 at many of the tracks the GT put leading numbers down at. With that, GM has every ability to offer a mass production, at current Corvette price, vehicle and bring their knowledge and engineering to it to maintain everything the FE Corvettes have been for 7 generations. Just as the 7th Gen dropped the tailights and the 6th gen returned to in place headlights, the 8th gen is going to bring us something big: mid-engine.

Really easy for GM to go after the best of the best when the chassis is already being sorted out everywhere as a full on production car.

As for the comments about other makes, hard to put words in others mouths. The Ferrari owners I know respect the ability of the Vette. They may comment on the materials or appearance, in relation to the Ferrari they own, but they respect the Corvette. Many of them actually have Corvettes and use either driving or tracking. I don't know many owners of other makes, but that is mostly cause I want a Ferrari myself.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Buick or Cadillac??? LMAO and SMH! The Corvette is basically it's own brand as is GM's (and USA's) Halo car!*
I didn't say the car would BE a Cadillac or Buick. Only that those brands were more appropriate for an event like Pebble than Chevrolet.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM
gbranham
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Sure. Maybe they'll just post it on Facebook and save some money
You do realize the reach Facebook has, don't you?
Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Buick or Cadillac??? LMAO and SMH! The Corvette is basically it's own brand as is GM's (and USA's) Halo car!*
I gotta agree. They've tried Cad, and still race them, but truly---a two-seat, ME with a Cad badge? No way, unless someone's lost their mind. And Buick? That's not even a serious contender imo. You lose all the synergy cost-savings if you fully break off the Corvette, but that's the only one that has a glimmer of truth to it. Actually, the best route is to stay within Chev. and GM, and build the brand and the customer base---which is what Chev and GM have been doing. Continuous improvement.

And Pebble Beach makes a lot of sense, but it will be a difficult one to accomplish without: a) a good car model, b) lots of details and c) this being a full four months before the end of the year.

Edit: I see Jeff V. changed the meaning of Buick and Cad, but my post still stands, and I also doubt a serious Buick or Cad will ever be intro'd at Pebble Beach unless it's a far departure from what they do now.

Last edited by AORoads; 08-16-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:48 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I didn't say the car would BE a Cadillac or Buick. Only that those brands were more appropriate for an event like Pebble than Chevrolet.
Why do you say that?
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM
fast jackson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What if, we do get to see a concept of the ME at Pebble? I believe Acura did this with the NSX a few years back.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

I am a believer that GM is aware of the benefits of this exact thing.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Skank, you obviously know some stuff about cars, and you are obsessively detailed about it.

You still, you are just WAY OFF and so many things.

Let me just start and end this conversation that 'THE C7 IS THE LAST FE CORVETTE'. Period, end of story. Quit jabbering on about something that obviously is not, nor ever was going to happen. There is no 'Zora'. There is no Cadillac.

How did you get so off track in some of your C8 ideas?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:06 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I tend to agree that when the ME car arrives, that will be the end for the FE car. While they may continue to build the C7 and the ME on the same line for a (brief) while, they FE cars will all be 2019s and the ME cars will be 2020s. Just my opinion, not based on any "insider information" at all. I just don't see a business model where selling two different Corvettes makes any sense for GM or the corporate bottom line . . . and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about, whether we like it or not. And, I see pricing for the ME car starting at around $70K for the base, entry-level car and going up as far as $160K for the most loaded versions. We'll see.
The following 3 users liked this post by fyreline:
Boiler_81 (08-16-2018), fasttoys (08-17-2018), sunsalem (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Skank, you obviously know some stuff about cars, and you are obsessively detailed about it.

You still, you are just WAY OFF and so many things.

Let me just start and end this conversation that 'THE C7 IS THE LAST FE CORVETTE'. Period, end of story. Quit jabbering on about something that obviously is not, nor ever was going to happen. There is no 'Zora'. There is no Cadillac.

How did you get so off track in some of your C8 ideas?
I got friends in high places. Stay tuned !!
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
JustinStrife (08-18-2018), Quinten33 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 PM
ChrisNC
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Old 08-16-2018, 07:30 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

IF a $65k ME is produced...how many would purchase a $60k FE in forecasted 2 year run? I have a very hard time believing even 1 person would choose C7 base vs ME base. The ME (Zora for now at least) would be the elephant in the room at only $5k more....no business case case to support this model. Conventional wisdom points to completely different car at completely different price point. IMO, introduction of the new ME to a mostly new demographic for GM requires an approach as different as the ME is to the FE, "when in Rome...." The shot will be heard around the world in automotive circles and GM has 1 chance to make great first impression with car that has been in the making over 2 decades finally taking a bow.
The following 3 users liked this post by NemesisC5:
JustinStrife (08-18-2018), skank (08-16-2018), ZoratZ06 (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by skank
Heard this too many times in the run up to the C5, the C6, and the C7..........
The C7 is the last FE Corvette. MEs are running all over the nation at this point(most likely) in some form of validation. They are probably running fully exposed on the seceret track in Arizona and the recent race versions just create a situation where GM can decide to drop the canvas.......

We are going to see GM's engineering team do something awesome with the ENTIRE C*8 line, which will be ME.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Do you guys have jobs , families etc? Ive never seen folks get so wrapped up over a damn car...
its a Corvette comjng for 60k or so with a new look.
Im sorry but damn get a life and enjoy it. This new car aint gonna change a thing.
But good luck with it.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,149 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Do you guys have jobs , families etc? Ive never seen folks get so wrapped up over a damn car...
its a Corvette comjng for 60k or so with a new look.
Im sorry but damn get a life and enjoy it. This new car aint gonna change a thing.
But good luck with it.
1. It's a hobby... this is fun. Every time a new generation comes out the treasure hunt is half the fun.

2. This is a mid-engine Vette... something that's always coming with the next gen and has been in the works for 40 years.... this is a huge deal. Moreso than any prior generations.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Mgreen429
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Too early IMO... car will drop next year 4-6 months before it goes on sale.
could u help trying to post a new thread??
Old 08-17-2018, 05:54 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

IMO the C8 is the ME & the FE will eventually fade away. I could see the base C7 go away and they keep building the wide body cars Z06,ZR1 along with the new ME. The ME base will have two versions Base & Z51 type option. Then the ME price point can move up from the base C7 now you have no competition on the base cars. Then in year 2+ fade out the C7 wide body cars to bring in the ZORA which is the Z06 fast version. This is all a guess, I try to follow logic based off buying many high performance cars over the last 25 years. If others on the forum are correct coming out with a higher priced ZORA on their first attempt on a ME just doesn’t make sense to me. (RISK: The faster ZORA/Z06 will have the new un-tested turbo motors which is to soon in development. Remember the heating issues on the Z06. The base C7 only major issue was the auto trans no heating). The base ME is a less risky move an easier car to build than the more capable faster race focused ZORA/Z06 version coming out of the gates. Or they skip the base ME/Z51 which looks like all the mules we been seeing and go straight to the ZORA the Z06 version. Then eventually fade out the FE and build the base cars & the crazy ZR1 version after that. If this is the case why do the test mules have basic small steal rotors while some have slotted small rotors which don’t follow a halo type sports car more like a base version? Porsche, Corvette C7 & C6 anytime it was the smaller steal/slotted rotors on test mules we were looking at the base cars.
There is no denying it's in print and conversations with car mags Tadge wanted the C7 to be an ME. They never mentioned a Halo standalone car, he said the FE was at its limits which is why they made the wheelbase longer on the C7. The board pulled funding (Bankruptcy) and he was told we have no funding to make it an ME. C7 is a great car but revolutionary over the C6 I say NOT! GM is seeing C7 sales decline with dealers given discounts to move product which is not a winning formula for a car manufacturer. It’s time for a change and Tadge got the budget for the ME which is the car he always wanted the C7 to be. Some will not be happy others will be and new buyers will come into the brand while some will leave, the good news it will balance out. I have owned many sports cars all brands and 8 Mid-Engine cars, if GM does it correctly you won't be looking back they are that much better. I try to keep emotion out of my thinking and ask the QUESTION. What makes sense for Chevrolet and a bigger splash across the auto industry? GM just created a new standalone ME at 150k that is built alongside its declining FE a 6-year old product? OR the new C8 mid-engine with a starting MSRP of 70k & get the remaining FE ASAP because they are eventually going away.

*Remember the mules we have been seeing test driven have small diameter steel rotors (BASE ME) and the slotted with small diameter rotors is the Z51. Same as what happened with the C7 when it was being tested as a mule, smaller solid rotors was the base car, slotted were the Z51. Z06 mules larger slotted rotors wide car. Just like Porsche and all these cars manufactures the pattern doesn't change. Time will tell

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-18-2018 at 02:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Boiler_81 (08-17-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To ME Zora Debut Soon........

Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Mjolitor 68:
Bfine Blue (08-27-2018), TRT SR (08-24-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
IF a $65k ME is produced...how many would purchase a $60k FE in forecasted 2 year run? I have a very hard time believing even 1 person would choose C7 base vs ME base. The ME (Zora for now at least) would be the elephant in the room at only $5k more....no business case case to support this model. Conventional wisdom points to completely different car at completely different price point. IMO, introduction of the new ME to a mostly new demographic for GM requires an approach as different as the ME is to the FE, "when in Rome...." The shot will be heard around the world in automotive circles and GM has 1 chance to make great first impression with car that has been in the making over 2 decades finally taking a bow.
I'd agree with one small caveat: space. Interior space. If that issue is solved, then couples can "pack it up" and go. And no need for a cargo-loving FE. Remember: not every Corvette buyer buys the car to hit the track, drive only on the weekend, and stay close to home.

Maybe just as important is that not every Corvette buyer cares that the car is faster, quicker, better on track than a _____ fill in the blank.

There are, of course, a couple very recent examples of cars at +$100K that have not done well....it does give pause to those who look at the business model which includes the customer. Like every model, but maybe more for the ME, careers are on the line. If it's a dud (which I hope it won't, and doubt it will be), some faces will be gone. That can't happen to America's Sports Car.

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

1. It's a hobby... this is fun. Every time a new generation comes out the treasure hunt is half the fun.

2. This is a mid-engine Vette... something that's always coming with the next gen and has been in the works for 40 years.... this is a huge deal. Moreso than any prior generations.
The above is very true; it's not just a hobby, it's a plan or dream being realized for some, from one of the biggest names in Corvette history, Zora. Probably not much different from when the Porsche Boxster was being rumored, the buzz with Porsche owners was about---shades of the 914, not faithful to the 911, etc. The ME Corvette is bigger, and not just because Corvettes sell more cars.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:32 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember last year someone hinted that the new ZR1 would debut at Road America and that didn't happen.
So I'm not holding my breath

Quick Reply: ME Zora Debut Soon........