Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the ME a halo car or the entire C8 line-up going ME?
Ford GT type "halo" car for the brand
26.89%
All C8s are going ME
50.42%
I like pie
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" for the entire C8 lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:33 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Since we're all here speculating, let me give MY wild @ss guess.

What if the ME that we're seeing being tested isn't a Corvette AT ALL?

Hear me out. It isn't a Corvette in the traditional sense, that it's not a "C8" but a CZ1...A Corvette branded super car. A Corvette Zora, if you will. This isn't going to be the 8th generation of the Corvette, but the FIRST generation of the Corvette Zora platform. A super halo the likes that Chevy has never had before. Ford has their GT, Dodge had Viper, Acura has their NSX, Audi has their R8, BMW has their i8, list goes ON AND ON. The Corvette has been Chevrolet's top end performance car, but it's priced to be just a hair over what most people aspire to. Chevy never had a true halo car.

This, the CZ1, would be IT. They can charge a premium for it, with a mid engine layout, top end engine (turbocharged DOHC V8), high-end tech, top tier interior and badge it like a Corvette, sell it for $150,000+ base. They won't have to sell this at the same volume as the current Corvette, but if they sell 500-1,000 a year, it would be a success. The halo CZ1, or gen 1 Corvette Zora, will then in turn pull sales of C7 up because those that can't afford the Zora, will by C7s.

C7 will continue to be made until 2020-2021, otherwise, for C7 to stop production once the mid engine CZ1 comes out, that would mean the C7 was in production for a short 6 years, tops. C7 will have to continue to be produced into 2020 as 2021 model to make it the same as C5 production run, 2021 as a 2022 model to match C6. By U.S. only sales numbers, the C7 have so far kept pace in sales with C6 and have been ahead of C5, so there's no reason to stop the production short, especially given the "labor of love" that it took to bring the C7 to life just shortly after the government bail-out.

From this point on, there'll be 2 separate line-ups: A Corvette Zora, mid engined, $150K+ base super car, a car that will take the fight to the likes of Porsche's 718 Spyder, Ferrari's 488, McLaren's 570s, etc, for about 1/2 the price. And a Corvette C7 for a few years, and a C8 in maybe 2022 that's priced at ~$60K base to match up performance wise against the likes of Porsche 911, Acura NSX, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M4...etc for thousands less.

That would be MY game plan.
I'm beginning to come around to the sub-brand idea too. After reading the thread n the new names being trade marked, it made me think that maybe the "re-introduction" of the Sting Ray name was the first shot in having models within the sub-brand.

A Corvette SUV - while heresy - would sell in boatloads.

Only time will tell.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys

ME will be affordable for most consumers that can afford a heavy loaded C7 Z51 today. Not concerned about the FE as I have my thoughts on its future and can’t share at this time. GM is not building a high priced 150k plus out the gates hallo ME, The financial risk verses the financial impact reward does not make business sense for the brand. GM has never gone in that direction and is not changing now. They are not Ferrari and other high end specialty car manufacturers, they know their place. Winning races against Ferrari and others on the track and being affordable within reason is genius marketing, why change this direction it’s been working for over 60 plus years. I know many say look at Ford with the new GT. The previous gen came out in 2003 at a super high price of 125k plus. That was Fords low production Halo car. Corvette has always been an affordable two seat sports car, that philosophy that made Corvette into the car it is today is not changing. I have owned many high end ME in my time and Chevrolet is not a logical choice for a 150k plus Halo sports car.

I would love to be the man in the room when they presented to the uppers at GM a Halo ME. Hey We have this great idea we will build a new ME under the affordable Chevrolet brand name and the starting price will be well over 150k and we need 900 million and a plant upgrade to make this happen. CFO would have replied your all fired.

Anyway here is a good article that makes me feel their is no high priced Halo car the new ME is the replacement and next Gen. Good read from Tadge Juechter, Corvette's chief engineer about corvetteand his thoughts. Below is a section pulled out of the article.

? Ask to Tadge Juechter
Why do you think Corvette has been able to stay around for so long when the rest of the domestic auto industry has struggled?
Tadge- It’s staying true to the mission of the car. Corvette has had its moments where it almost died. I don’t want it to seem like we’ve had a free ride the whole way. But if you look at other vehicles that are the successful long-term, they tend to stay true to their mission. They don’t try to wander off and be something they’re not. There are plenty of examples where cars tried to get bigger, or go from four passengers to two, or tried to migrate upmarket. They get cocky and think, “Wow, we could sell these things at a much higher price — let’s do an upscale version.” That doesn’t work. You have to stay true to what you are.

Article below:
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insight...ing-sports-car
Actually, the previous Ford GT was released with a $139,995 MSRP and was quickly increased to $149,995. Plug in inflation and you are at around $200,000 in 2018. Ford originally planned on building 2,000 annually for three years, but stopped production after 4,038 were built because the market for them was saturated.

The current NSX is a good example of a car priced to high for the intended market. Acura originally planned on building around 2,000 annually for a non specified period of time. They built a plant in Ohio strictly for the production of the NSX. The NSX is a very nice car, but at $160,000+, people are not interested in them, thus their sales are running around 15 per month.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-16-2018 at 06:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
dcbingaman (08-17-2018), fasttoys (08-17-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Actually, the previous Ford GT was released with a $139,995 MSRP and was quickly increased to $149,995. Plug in inflation and you are at around $200,000 in 2018. Ford originally planned on building 2,000 annually for three years, but stopped production after 4,038 were built because the market for them was saturated.

The current NSX is a good example of a car priced to high for the intended market. Acura originally planned on building around 2,000 annually for a non specified period of time. They built a plant in Ohio strictly for the production of the NSX. The NSX is a very nice car, but at $160,000+, people are not interested in them, thus their sales are running around 15 per month.
makes sense to me. I have yet to see an NSX on the road and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area .
Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
I'm beginning to come around to the sub-brand idea too. After reading the thread n the new names being trade marked, it made me think that maybe the "re-introduction" of the Sting Ray name was the first shot in having models within the sub-brand.

Only time will tell.
sadly yes. Seeing Jaguar, Porsche, Maserati SUVs driven by clueless soccer Moms is sad but at least the manufacturers have more $ to build cool cars like the F type, GT3RS, GT2RS, 918 etc/
Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle

Only time will tell.
I agree 100% regarding strategy of "re-introduction" of the Sting Ray name - regarding SUV it appears they went with "Camaro-ish" look for 2019 Blazer

Old 08-16-2018, 07:31 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Too many validation cars built at this time. Differences noted in cars pictured seem to follow general norms for new Corvette generations. Far to expensive to tool the plant for a FE and ME production. GM doesn't need a Ford GT halo as the ZR1 has smoked many of the Ford GT track records already. Fords Halo = GMs normal performance Vette with upgraded interior.............and more CF.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 08-16-2018 at 07:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Here's how I see it. The C7 was, fundamentally, designed around the LT 5th Gen. small block V-8 and drivetrain components. It will be produced until GM stops making small-block V-8's.

How soon as that coming ? About 2-3 years, based on Silverado product plans. When the Silverado goes all to an I-4 DOHC turbo to meet the stringent new CA emissions and fuel economy standards, the small block comes to an end and so does the C7 front engine Corvette.

The C8 ME will have a modular engine bay able to accommodate EITHER an LT OHV engine OR a new DOHC V-8 derived from the Silverado I-4 and tied to a new Tremec 9007 DCT. The C8 will transition to an all DOHC V-8 lineup when the LT small block engine goes away. In other words, ALL C8's will be ME's with new DOHC engines, eventually.
The following users liked this post:
fasttoys (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:36 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
Since we're all here speculating, let me give MY wild @ss guess.

What if the ME that we're seeing being tested isn't a Corvette AT ALL?

Hear me out. It isn't a Corvette in the traditional sense, that it's not a "C8" but a CZ1...A Corvette branded super car. A Corvette Zora, if you will. This isn't going to be the 8th generation of the Corvette, but the FIRST generation of the Corvette Zora platform. A super halo the likes that Chevy has never had before. Ford has their GT, Dodge had Viper, Acura has their NSX, Audi has their R8, BMW has their i8, list goes ON AND ON. The Corvette has been Chevrolet's top end performance car, but it's priced to be just a hair over what most people aspire to. Chevy never had a true halo car.

This, the CZ1, would be IT. They can charge a premium for it, with a mid engine layout, top end engine (turbocharged DOHC V8), high-end tech, top tier interior and badge it like a Corvette, sell it for $150,000+ base. They won't have to sell this at the same volume as the current Corvette, but if they sell 500-1,000 a year, it would be a success. The halo CZ1, or gen 1 Corvette Zora, will then in turn pull sales of C7 up because those that can't afford the Zora, will by C7s.

C7 will continue to be made until 2020-2021, otherwise, for C7 to stop production once the mid engine CZ1 comes out, that would mean the C7 was in production for a short 6 years, tops. C7 will have to continue to be produced into 2020 as 2021 model to make it the same as C5 production run, 2021 as a 2022 model to match C6. By U.S. only sales numbers, the C7 have so far kept pace in sales with C6 and have been ahead of C5, so there's no reason to stop the production short, especially given the "labor of love" that it took to bring the C7 to life just shortly after the government bail-out.

From this point on, there'll be 2 separate line-ups: A Corvette Zora, mid engined, $150K+ base super car, a car that will take the fight to the likes of Porsche's 718 Spyder, Ferrari's 488, McLaren's 570s, etc, for about 1/2 the price. And a Corvette C7 for a few years, and a C8 in maybe 2022 that's priced at ~$60K base to match up performance wise against the likes of Porsche 911, Acura NSX, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, BMW M4...etc for thousands less.

That would be MY game plan.
Competition in the north of 150k performance car crowd is not an easy task. GM dealer network alone can’t sustain that clientele at a Chevy dealer. A few of the cars you mentioned that GM ME will compete against are going away because of poor sales. NSX is not selling, the car is going away after 3 years run. Audi R8 will be discontinued in 2020 because of poor sales. V10 is the only option and priced to high starting at 169k for v10 and 200k for V10 plus, The V8 was discontinued with this new generation and sold at 130k actually sold well. I just sold my gated manual R8 she will be missed. I did not want to get hit on the depreciation even though manuals are holding values better. https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...percar/990682/

McLaren 570S is only 190K to 220 and you can get discountis. if they make a GM ME north 150k I get the McLaren all day long with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty. Chevrolet or McLaren lol really I don’t care how reliable we think GM’s new ME could be, it’s the first ME they will have problems. I was out in a 720s last weekend unbelievable super car and the 570S is very nice car. okay let’s look at a GT3 Porsche or a Chevrolet ME lol really. I buy the Porsche all day long better car owned both before and I had a 15 Z06.

I think what everyone is forgetting what Chevrolet has done very well over the years. To create a performance car (corvette) at a reasonable price that contends with cars costing double the price. Why move it upscale to reduce that price spread with demanding customers under the Chevrolet name. Cadillac is the higher range just like Acura to Honda and Lexus to Toyota. If they make a 159k plus ME I would not take it to a Chevy dealer at least Cadillac is more upscale. These clients that spend north 150k care about upscale trust me it’s not all about lap times and performance.

I dont want to hear about the Ford GT Hyper car that is hand built, low volume and has a hand picked owners by Ford.

Last edited by fasttoys; 08-17-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 AM
hunter105
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 3 levels of the ME

From what I have been told there are going to be 3 levels of the ME corvette. Entry level will be a 500 HP twin turbo V8.This will be a base car priced at $60000.I have also been told that GM considering the base model powered by a V6 500 HP twin turbo. GM is trying to see if they can surpass EPA standards and do it with a boosted V6 and keep the HP at 500. The second level car will be a 650 HP V8 also twin turbo the price of this car will start at $75000. The third level car will be 850 HP using the existing Z06 engine with twin turbos also. This car will start at around $125000 I already have placed my deposit on the base priced $60000 car with my dealer. My deposit is fully refundable if the car is not up my liking. Also the C7 will run until 2020 then a new FE C8 will also be produced for those who prefer there Ponies in front of them.

Last edited by hunter105; 08-18-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:58 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter105
From what I have been told there are going to be 3 levels of the ME corvette. Entry level will be a 500 HP twin turbo V8.This will be a base car priced at $60000.I have also been told that GM considering the base model powered by a V6 500 HP twin turbo. GM is trying to see if they can surpass EPA standards and do it with a boosted V6 and keep the HP at 500. The second level car will be a 650 HP V8 also twin turbo the price of this car will start at $75000. The third level car will be 850 HP using the existing Z06 engine with twin turbos also. This car will start at around $125000 I already have placed my deposit on the base priced $60000 car with my dealer. My deposit is fully refundable if the car is not up my liking. Also the C7 will run until 2020 then a new FE C8 will also be produced for those who prefer there Ponies in front of them.
Expect any DOHC V8 to carry a similar price to "yet to be announced pricing" on 2019 Cadillac CT6 V-Sport estimated at ~$100K before adding options.

Quick Reply: Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" for the entire C8 lineup?