Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is the ME a halo car or the entire C8 line-up going ME?
Ford GT type "halo" car for the brand
26.89%
All C8s are going ME
50.42%
I like pie
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" for the entire C8 lineup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:50 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Default Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" or the entire C8 lineup?

I was in the camp hoping that the entire line up was going ME and I could get a $65K basic ME C8. However, the latest rumors swirling make me think the C8 ME is going to be a "Zora" halo car, the C7 will be produced a few more years, and after the ME Zora drops we'll see more development on the FE C8 replacement.

Which camp are you in?

I'm starting to think it's going to be a halo car except for the fact that we've seen ME mules with very mundane wheels/tires/brakes.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 08-14-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:58 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

My guess is we'll see multiple variants of the ME (i.e. higher hp variants). And we'll continue to see the FE platform with multiple variants as well. The Zora will be an addition - of multiple flavors - to the Corvette lineup.

All just a wild-azzed guess. I have no inside info.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Received 347 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I was in the camp hoping that the entire line up was going ME and I could get a $65K basic ME C8. However, the latest rumors swirling make me think the C8 ME is going to be a "Zora" halo car, the C7 will be produced a few more years, and after the ME Zora drops we'll see more development on the FE C8 replacement.

Which camp are you in?

I'm starting to think it's going to be a halo car except for the fact that we've seen ME mules with very mundane wheels/tires/brakes.
Can I vote for a variation of the halo car option? I have absolutely no insider knowledge but I'm a fan of the "Corvette becomes a mini-brand" rumor. Cherry-picking from all the rumors here's a possible scenario for you:

1) The ME Corvette Zora is announced soon. It is higher end than the FE with several models being released over a period of years. The lower end of these models has the LT2 engine, the higher end has a smaller FPC/TT/whatever we heard in the "C8.R" engine. It's a halo car at the top end but there are still lower end versions which is why we've seen a variety of wheels/brakes/tires on various mules. Even at the lower end it is around or slightly north of Z06 prices.

2) The current FE C7 is produced concurrently with the new Zora for 1-2 years. This is for buyers that either don't like the ME switch or can't afford it.

3) A couple of years after the ME Zora release, the FE C8 Stingray is released with the LT2 motor. This is on the same frame as the C7 (with minor mods) but that still leaves room for a new engine, body panels, airflow, cooling, electronics, interior improvements, new infortainment, new (required?) safety features, etc. Grand Sport and Z06 version would follow as normal. This car doesn't need a mule yet but we would see some "soon" after the Zora is released. (The LT2 motor can also be shared by the next gen of Camaros.)

Ferrari has ME and FE cars. I can definitely see GM being capable of the same.

Last edited by ColoradoGS; 08-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
RapidC84B (08-14-2018), skank (08-14-2018), VetterFlyer (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

I think this is what's happening... which sucks. I want a $65K ME Corvette
Old 08-14-2018, 11:49 AM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

This is how I view Chevy ATM. In terms of comparing to Ford Chevy has

Camaro-> Mustang
Corvette-> ???
Zora-> GT

The way how Chevy has been acting after the Ford GT was announced just points towards them using the mid engine car to compete against both the road going and race Ford GT. Sources are pointing toward extensive active aero and small displacement biturbo v8s, all seen in most modern euro supercars. Hell, the racing Zora's engine sounds like a V8 version of the Ecoboost v6. I'm guessing there will be a base model just under or above 100k and more extensive model at sub to 200k max. Car will be higher performance than the front engine Corvette for sure and be the Halo lineup for Chevy.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:29 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

A $150K plus "supercar" does nothing for me... but I guess there are a lot of people a lot more wealth than I am. a $65K ME "Z51" type car would have me buying a new car immediately.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I don't think the ME is going to be a "Halo" car like the Ford GT. I think it is going to be a Corvette that's mid-engine, priced near the current Stingray.
I STILL think that FE is in the plan also, as a refreshed C7 ( think C5 to C6) that will come out in 2021 or so. I also think this FE refresh will move more in the direction of a "GT", like Ferrari's FE cars. More luxury, more gadgets, etc...
The following users liked this post:
dcbingaman (08-17-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:42 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

No. At the end of the day, GM still wants to make money. The Ford GT for example, cost $450k and I don't think Ford made any money on the effort. Would you spend $400k on a vette? I wouldn't. I'd gladly come in at $150k for the halo ME C8. . . GM is throwing a lot of money at this next generation; they're not going to be making some unicorn that won't turn a profit. Compounding this, if this were a 'halo' car as stated, that means we haven't heard a -single- thing about the 'actual' C8 development, which takes years to turn into a production vehicle, suggestion the C7 corvette would be at minimum, a ~8 year body style, something GM has stated they don't want to happen (long running generations).
The following 2 users liked this post by RandomTask:
fasttoys (08-14-2018), ZoratZ06 (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I don't think the ME is going to be a "Halo" car like the Ford GT. I think it is going to be a Corvette that's mid-engine, priced near the current Stingray.
I STILL think that FE is in the plan also, as a refreshed C7 ( think C5 to C6) that will come out in 2021 or so. I also think this FE refresh will move more in the direction of a "GT", like Ferrari's FE cars. More luxury, more gadgets, etc...
How high and low the ME range can reach, price-wise, really depends on what rumors are true.

For the top end, if has a FPC, TT engine with hybrid front drive, active aero, and an exotic-like interior? Then it is a GT like halo car. For the low end, they can likely make a ME car within reach of the current C7 Stingray prices but it is going to have an LT1/2 engine in it and none of these crazy features that have been rumored.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:53 PM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Poll needs another selection. I believe a combo of 1 and 2. Introduced as a halo car, then chassis and cheaper engine variations will then trickle down to C8 once C7 is done.
RapidC84B (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 12:57 PM
blipit_
Pro

If GM was smart they would use ME halo car to launch Corvette as a separate brand and start building different models under Corvette name(like Stingray, Zora, etc.). Let it fully be free from the Chevrolet brand(I will be nice and not elaborate).
Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RandomTask
No. At the end of the day, GM still wants to make money. The Ford GT for example, cost $450k and I don't think Ford made any money on the effort. Would you spend $400k on a vette? I wouldn't. I'd gladly come in at $150k for the halo ME C8. . . GM is throwing a lot of money at this next generation; they're not going to be making some unicorn that won't turn a profit. Compounding this, if this were a 'halo' car as stated, that means we haven't heard a -single- thing about the 'actual' C8 development, which takes years to turn into a production vehicle, suggestion the C7 corvette would be at minimum, a ~8 year body style, something GM has stated they don't want to happen (long running generations).
To clarify when I say "halo" I don't mean $400K.... I mean a "super vette" with a super price tag. At this point I think this is what's happening:

1. GM releases Chevy Corvette Zora here soon... comes out next year as a 2020. It's a $169K car according to some on here.

2. C7 continues production through 2021.

3. C8 FE development begins in earnest once the Zora drops... would make sense... 2-3 more years then new FE C8 comes out. Plenty of time to focus on that car once the ME Zora is out and about.

Or.... scenario 2...

Zora comes out as a $169K "supercar" or whatever... C7 continues... then lower trim level ME C8s come out 2022ish... basically GM releases the C8 180 degrees from what they've always done.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

Pricewise I think the mid engine's "entry level" will be somewhere between a loaded Grand Sport and a modestly optioned Z06. A few years down the road there'll be an ultra high performance model offered that could be close to/or $200,000+ with all the boxes checked.
The front engined Corvette isn't going away.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:01 PM
blipit_
Pro

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
To clarify when I say "halo" I don't mean $400K.... I mean a "super vette" with a super price tag. At this point I think this is what's happening:

1. GM releases Chevy Corvette Zora here soon... comes out next year as a 2020. It's a $169K car according to some on here.
I would hope halo ME isn't much more than R8 V10 pricing. But I guess it depends on specs and performance level.

Last edited by blipit_; 08-14-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:29 PM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by blipit_
I would hope halo ME isn't much more than R8 V10 pricing. But I guess it depends on specs and performance level.
I'd expect a base ME to be at R8 V8 pricing with a halo version going much higher. Z06 version at R8 V10 pricing.

I also think the basic corvette concept is starting to see its end really. I don't like it any more than the rest of you but the days of loud powerful engines are counted. Fully expecting a hybrid drivetrain and I think that for RWD this is made easier with a mid or rear engine, allowing plenty of room for an electric drivetrain up front.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

We've seen them in public benchmarking the ME car against the Porsche 911. So it they undercut Porsche by a lot, it'd still be an entry price of 80-90k before options. The Lotus Evora starts at 89 and they seem to be selling ok. Think budget 911/R8/NSX rather than Ford GT / Ferrari 458 / Lambo Huracan. Though it'll surely compete well with those cars.

Based on the number of Z06s I see around this forum, GM isn't having a hard time selling 90-100k cars either. So starting the ME here wouldn't be too big a risk for them. That'd still leave room for the C7/C7.5/C8 to fill the 55-70 "entry level" spot with some head room for GS and Z06 versions.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:00 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Zora introduced as halo car, C7 continues until C8 introduced. Selective technology bleeds down from Zora to C8 improving performance and efficiency. Corvette will be 2 car lineup with Stingray and Zora. I don't see the Zora having OHV V8 because it does not fit the character or image of the car that I believe GM wants to establish. I know we've all seen the CAD drawings with both engines however to me that's like putting OHV V8 in Ferrari...just wouldn't be right.

Get notified of new replies

To Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" for the entire C8 lineup?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:13 PM
johnnystock
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Does that make any sense to have 2 different Corvettes? That seems like a big production and marketing risk. You could split the customers and end up half of them do not get what they want; ME and non-ME, when one of the 2 will disapear.

C7 is gonna hang on a bit till they all make ME Vettes...I hope, cause Id buy right away if ME.

Last edited by johnnystock; 08-14-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:44 PM
ColoradoGS
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnystock
Does that make any sense to have 2 different Corvettes? That seems like a big production and marketing risk.
Well we are all just speculating here--the people that really know aren't talking--but I'd argue that switching to ME completely is the bigger production risk. Consider that while awesome in its own ways, a ME Corvette will seemingly have no manual transmission, limited cargo space, a convertible that looks more like spyder Lambo than a traditional Corvette convertible, and potentially a (again awesome) high revving engine that sounds nothing like a rumbling V8. GM is going to try to sell that car to a group of, uh, mature customers with lots of life experiences that want some/all of the above in addition to chrome wheels and round tail lights. The could count on bringing in a ton of new (younger) buyers who are looking for a Lambo-light and have no fond memories of a traditional American sports car with a rumbling V8 under a long hood. But can they gain more than they lose?

Ferrari has the 488 but also the Superfast 812. They wouldn't bother to make a FE model if there wasn't a market for it. I don't think there's any doubt the plant in BG, KY can handle producing two models, hopefully at a combined volume greater than the peak 30K C7 volume.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoradoGS:
JustinStrife (08-16-2018), ltomn (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnystock
Does that make any sense to have 2 different Corvettes? That seems like a big production and marketing risk. You could split the customers and end up half of them do not get what they want; ME and non-ME, when one of the 2 will disapear.

C7 is gonna hang on a bit till they all make ME Vettes...I hope, cause Id buy right away if ME.
You're right, it wouldn't make any sense at all if they are priced comparatively. IMO...the goal of the Zora is taking performance up to a level where ZR1 cannot reach and starting at $140k-$150k will separate the 2 cars.
JustinStrife (08-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Based on all data to date - Is the ME car a FGT type "halo" for the entire C8 lineup?