Manta Ray - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manta Ray

Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 AM
GoldRose85

Think "C"
Chevrolet usually names most of their cars with a "C"
Corvette, Camaro, Citation, Cruz, ect...
Old 08-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Kodiak Bear

I suggest reading Zora by Jerry Burton. Particularily Chapter 18. Zora appears to have been a man of great passion for life both work and personal. Corporations seldom, if ever, celebrate those types of persons.

No disrespect meant to Zora or to GM.

IMO the current cultural and corporate environments do not support the ME to be named after Zora.

I believe those very same issues support a continuation of names from the ray family.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
zhopper05
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
Zora should be the name. Following it up with sub-package names:

Zora Manta Ray
Zora R1
Zora E-Ray
Z-Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to zhopper05 For This Useful Post:
ojm (12-06-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Michael A
CF Senior Member

It appears GM Marketing is recruiting from the local elementary schools. We have the Transformers Camaro. The Hot Wheels Camaro. Now the "Manta Ray", a name found on yet another toy.

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-47367-m...cPath=420_1183

Who do they think the buyers of Camaros and Corvette's are, ten year olds?

I don't know why GM bothered trademarking the name "Manta Ray". It's not like Ferrari or McLaren is going steal this juvenile name.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:07 PM
black_valentine

Originally Posted by GoldRose85 View Post
Think "C"
Corvair Monza GT
Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM
fyreline
NCM Ambassador
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Don't personally care much for Manta or Zora. How about we just call it the Corvette?
Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM
z edge
CF Senior Member

Think "C"
Beretta, Lumina, Monte Carlo, Impala, Tracker, Spark, Sonic, Bolt, Volt, Malibu, Traxx, Equinox, Traverse, Tahoe, Suburban, Colorado, Silverado, Blazer....
The Following User Says Thank You to z edge For This Useful Post:
CorvettoBrando (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:25 PM
tomlink
CF Senior Member

Bill Mitchell admired the combination of sharp edges and organic curves in the bodies of sharks and rays. It provided the inspiration for design of the 1959 XP87 racer which he called "Sting Ray".

In 1961, under Bill's direction, Larry Shinoda created the "Mako Shark" concept car which heralded the 1963 "Sting Ray".

In 1965, they created the Mako Shark II which previewed the 1968 "Stingray"

In 1969, one of the Mako Shark II cars was transformed into the wilder "Manta Ray" concept.

While only the "Sting Ray" and "Stingray" names were ever used in production, all of the names are part of the C2 and up Corvette design inspiration and heritage.

It seems only natural that C8 designers might look to the past for inspiration for future models (like the C7 side emblem homage to the XP87 racer - and the C7 in general).

I don't understand the push-back on using names like Corvette "Mako" or "Manta" as IMHO, they are very cool and important ties to the Corvette legacy - and future.

Last edited by tomlink; 08-17-2018 at 04:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomlink For This Useful Post:
Boiler_81 (Yesterday), elegant (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 02:39 PM
jkennedy

How about Mako Shark? That large air duct on/behind the doors kind of looks like a shark with it's mouth open!
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM
VETTE-NV
13 Vettes & counting.....
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zhopper05 View Post
Z-Ray

Z-Ray.....sounds like a goofy weapon from "PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE."

Since we're going with the shark/sea creature them, how about the MEG? Get it? ME for mid-engine. And the film is big hit. A marketing guy's dream!

Kidding, of course.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 08-17-2018 at 03:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to VETTE-NV For This Useful Post:
tomlink (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Kodiak Bear

Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
Bill Mitchell admired the combination of sharp edges and organic curves in the bodies of sharks and rays. It provided the inspiration for design of the 1959 XP87 racer which he called "Sting Ray".

In 1961, under Bill's direction, Larry Shinoda created the "Mako Shark" concept car which heralded the 1963 "Sting Ray".

In 1969, one of the Mako Shark II cars was transformed into the wilder "Manta Ray" concept.

While only the "Sting Ray" and "Stingray" names were ever used in production, all of the names are part of the C2 and up Corvette design inspiration and heritage.

It seems only natural that C8 designers might look to the past for inspiration for future models (like the C7 side emblem homage to the XP87 racer - and the C7 in general).

I don't understand the push-back on using names like Corvette "Mako" or "Manta" as IMHO, they are very cool and important ties to the Corvette legacy - and future.
An interesting read is "Corvette Sting Ray" by Peter Brock of Cobra Daytona Coupe fame who is the "last surviving member of the team that worked with Bill Mitchell on the 63 Sting Ray". In it he credits the coming together of Harley Earl, Ed Cole, Bill Mitchell, and Zora with the creation of the Sting Ray Corvette. Apparently, Mitchell was inspired by design themes he'd picked up at the 57 Turin Auto Show. Best shown in the Alfa Romeo Disco Velante coupe and the Betrone designed Abarth 750 streamliner. One of the themes was using "a crisp or tightly radiused belt-line to separate their smooth upper and lower surfaces." Another was "four distinct, aero-formed, raised shapes over each wheel." One of my favorite passages explains how Mitchell insisted on a design feature that created rear end areo lift. Brock had drawn a gentle S shape with a lower nose and higher tail, but Mitchell demanded the line fall away toward the rear. From an aero point of view, Pete was right as the eventual "racer's" on track antics would prove.

The book is a facinating read. And as Pete himself points out, it reflects reality as he experienced. He wished the rest of the team members were still alive to tell the story of their reality. At the time he wrote the book in 2013 it was the 50th anniversary of the into of the 63 Corvette Sting Ray
Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Michael A
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tomlink View Post

I would say it's because the 60's will have ended half a century ago when the C8 is finally released, and times have changed. People aren't interested in buying T-buckets and dune buggies anymore. Corvette is looking for more youthful, and upscale buyers. Corvette wants to draw them away from imports, which often have no names at all. Putting cornball names like "Mako Shark" and "Manta Ray" on a new car in the 21st century is not in the right direction. Just having those geezer names on a new car would be embarrassing for many people. They were fine in their day adorned on show cars of yesteryear, but let's let them rest in peace.

Last edited by Michael A; 08-17-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:02 PM
C7pimp
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
I would say it's because the 60's will have ended half a century ago when the C8 is finally released, and times have changed. People aren't interested in buying T-buckets and dune buggies anymore. Corvette is looking for more youthful, and upscale buyers. Corvette wants to draw them away from imports, which often have no names at all. Putting cornball names like "Mako Shark" and "Manta Ray" on a new car in the 21st century is not in the right direction. Just having those geezer names on a new car would be embarrassing for many people. They were fine in their day adorned on show cars of yesteryear, but let's let them rest in peace.

Correct, IMO.

"Manta Ray" is a silly name for a car in 2020. Sounds like a goofy start-up company off Kickstarter selling trendy snorkeling gear. The only reason corvette still works today is because of the established history that provides universal recognition. Same with Mustang and Camaro (wtf is a camaro anyways, lol?).

Last edited by C7pimp; 08-17-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
CF Senior Member

How about a track version called "Sharknado"?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Atomic Fred
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
Don't personally care much for Manta or Zora. How about we just call it the Corvette?
If there's 2 distinct lines, need a differentiator. Zora is perfect and has a nice ring to it.

If this is it, and the C7 disappears completely, well then it's a C8 to us, and the new Corvette to everybody else...
Old 08-17-2018, 06:34 PM
NemesisC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
(wtf is a camaro anyways, lol?).
Back in high school I asked and was told by sales manager the name "Camaro" was derived from a slang word used by the French......I never checked or thought about it again until just now so don't quote me on that.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Zerv02
CF Senior Member

I ended it, take a look at the recent posts in thread “saw the c8 uncovered...wow”. It’s a corvette, one model will pay homage to Zora Duntov and be branded as the Corvette Zora.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM
torquetube
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZishanM View Post
Did they ever have a car badged Manta Ray before? ....Hmmm
And Opel (GM Germany) sold the Manta for years.

I think the name is fine, but Mako is better.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:22 PM
IronV
CF Senior Member

Default I disagree. Manta Ray is an awesome name with great imagery and heritage.

Originally Posted by blipit_ View Post
Manta Ray is absolutely awful. I would be embarrassed to tell people the name of my car. I thought Taycan was bad for the Mission E, but Manta Ray takes the cake.
Have a Stingray. Would love to have a Manta Ray. What's cooler than this? That would be "NOTHING."
The Following User Says Thank You to IronV For This Useful Post:
tomlink (08-20-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:59 PM
ROUTE 66
CF Senior Member

Think "C"
Is this what your thinking Charles Ray? Ray Charles? I don't think it would work as a name for a car.

Last edited by ROUTE 66; 12-05-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: